Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do we control our own destiny ?

if we win all 4 remaining games are we GUARANTEED a playoff spot ?

or do we need help ?

I played around with the ESPN playoff machine for a bit. Technically it's possible for us to miss the playoffs at 11-5. It's also possible to make it in with 9-7 or even 8-8. The other teams in the wild card race play eachother alot so it depends on whether or not those teams split the games mostly evenly, or if 1-2 teams run the table and rise above the pack. The Jags/Jets/Raiders etc play a few games against our competitors as well, and could help us out.

Edited by SoFFacet

or do we need help ?

define the criteria for help?

Using the playoff machine starting with winning % (record) (this scenario has many ties), and changing to a Bills sweep (3 of the next 4 games) Yes, you could say that they control their own destiny.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

#2 giving AFC ties to the home team, the Bills can make the playoffs

#3 giving AFC ties to the visiting team, the Bills can make the playoffs

#4 varying a few teams here and there - the Bills may not make the playoffs

I just ran a few scenarios

from their default you give a Bills win in all 4 games, they make the playoffs.

change AFC outcomes to reasonable selection and you can have it where

the Bills lose to Denver, then WIN vs GB, Raiduhs, and NE they make the playoffs

the Bills WIN at Denver, lose vs GB, WIN at the Raiduhs, and WIN at NE they make the playoffs

however IF

Bills WIN against Denver, GB, and Raiders, yet lose to NE they FAIL to make the playoffs ....

WTF?

the key is BEATING NEW ENGLAND!!!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

or do we need help ?

There is no certainty ....why

Buffalo lose a lot of tiebreakers with teams.

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Kansas City ( 2 win their division)all can end up at 11-5 and buffalo loses to all of them for the wild card.

There is no certainty ....why

Buffalo lose a lot of tiebreakers with teams.

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Kansas City ( 2 win their division)all can end up at 11-5 and buffalo loses to all of them for the wild card.

Odds are Cincy wins the div and either Ravens or Stillers don't make the WC.

As of today

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

The Bills hold the tie breaker over both Baltimore & Pittsburgh

After Monday night's win for the Dolphins I think the remote chance we had of making it at 9-7 has gone. We need 3 wins from the last 4.

Denver, Green Bay, and New England remaining on the schedule. Seriously, the chance of making the playoffs is not realistic to anyone with common sense.

Thought 1 - Nightmare ?? With the Patriots NOT in the playoffs ? HALLELUIAH brother !!!!

Thought 2 - Nightmare ?? Yes the drought would continue BUT the media would then say a good team missed the playoffs when a team with a worse record won a division. or somesuch

If we miraculously won out and didn't make it in, it would be a beyond a nightmare. Who cares what the media thinks?

If you want to see another interesting outcome, go to my previously linked Nightmare Scenario and click on the Week 15 tab. Now click on N.E. to beat Miami.

After Monday night's win for the Dolphins I think the remote chance we had of making it at 9-7 has gone. We need 3 wins from the last 4.

I tend to agree.

Denver, Green Bay, and New England remaining on the schedule. Seriously, the chance of making the playoffs is not realistic to anyone with common sense.

Have you considered being a motivational speaker? You might have a gift.

You must be the guy that constantly complains that it "can't" be done. No one wants to hear that guy. We just want to root for our team for a playoff run.

People also were projecting us for a 1 win season during the preseason. How did that turn out?

You must be the guy that constantly complains that it "can't" be done. No one wants to hear that guy. We just want to root for our team for a playoff run.

People also were projecting us for a 1 win season during the preseason. How did that turn out?

This kind of attitude is puzzling. Who is stopping you from "rooting" for the Bills to make a playoff run? Plus just because people think the Bills are likely to lose does not mean they wouldn't love it if they won and will be "rooting" for them to do so. Does every post here have to be that the Bills are going to win every game?

As to the 1 win season thing, worked out about as well as those predicting a 15 win season.

This kind of attitude is puzzling. Who is stopping you from "rooting" for the Bills to make a playoff run? Plus just because people think the Bills are likely to lose does not mean they wouldn't love it if they won and will be "rooting" for them to do so. Does every post here have to be that the Bills are going to win every game?

As to the 1 win season thing, worked out about as well as those predicting a 15 win season.

No one will stop me. People claiming me or any other bills fan have little common sense because I still believe is rather annoying. They can take their "common sense" and keep it to themselves.

Every post does not have to be about the Bills winning every game, but every post does not also have to be a self deprecating rant about how we haven't made the playoffs in 15 years, we are playing against good teams that "we can't compete with" and there is no hope, and you have no sense if you think otherwise.

But sure, go ahead and bash me. I was clearly in the wrong. :thumbsup:

Edit: I also don't know of anyone who predicted a 15 win season. I did however see a number of threads blowing up about giving up our "sure to be" 1st overall pick in the 2015 draft.

Edited by What a Tuel