Fire Hackett

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the first half, was making my way back from Wembley, but was frustrated following the game by the updates that only 1 of Geno's 3 picks turned into points. The play calling frustrated me in the second half as well, and like someone else said the TD to Chandler was the one time I was thinking "ok you can run this now and kick the FG to make it a 3 score game" but they threw it and scored.

I have been saying since pre-season my issue is less with the individual play calling in isolation - I think if you break each call down you can weigh up pros and cons etc... my issue is with the concept of this offense. I don't see anything clear or tangible. The concept of this offense seems to me to be "hope Jim's unit get us some good field position and then we might do something." I would love to sit down with Hackett for half an hour and me as an uneducated fan living in the UK who has never played the game at any competitive level and ask him what his vision for the offense is. I accept that I might well be totally wrong there might well be a coherent thread running through it... but I sure ain't seeing it if there is. It's frustrating to watch because the talent on offense is better than we have had for a while and our defense is legit.

have you always lived in England?

I put as much of the blame on Marrone as Hackett. One of two things is happening, either Marrone is calling some plays or telling Hackett what he wants and Hackett is following Marrone's lead, OR, Marrone is letting Hackett decide all these things and not stepping in and demanding something different because it's clear there is a problem.

Hackett is the worse OC in the NFL. I really think he thought he could win the game with out scoring another point when the Bills got up 21-7. The guy does not belong in the NFL as anything more than an asst to the asst.

Hackett can not keep up with the speed of the game.

Marrone tried to put as many training wheels in place with the hire of an QB coach and O quality control coach

The move this off season is hire a real OC.

43 points

On the road

Against a division rival

Against a Rex Ryan D

W/Both RB's injured

...are we going to ignore ALL these realities?

43 could have easily been 63 and this isn't close to being a Rex Ryan defense since the Jets have no CBs. Hackett was boring and far too predictable today for my taste.

The Bills were up by two scores. They had zero turnovers. I'm not sure what you guys wanted...That is what you do when you're up by a lot.

that's not what they did in the first half, we were only up 7 after all those turnovers, we should have been up 35 - 7.

In the 4rth was fine but we should have gone for kill early and often before that.

43 points

On the road

Against a division rival

Against a Rex Ryan D

W/Both RB's injured

...are we going to ignore ALL these realities?

I'm an eternal optimist. I have said the same type of thing for 40 years, meaning "a win is a win" kind of thing.

For me, knowing me, to be anything less than thrilled after last week winning on an 80 yard drive in the last three minutes and this week winning is an enormous red flag for me.

I never ever feel this way, but I do.

you cant get into a throwing contest with a sketchy offensive line with no RB blitz pickup against a crazy pass rushing blitzing team. The Jets need to get turnover and win on defense or they can't win- so as painful as it was today and frustrating for this week it was the right plan. 48 points and a win on the road verus a top 5 defense is hard to get fired over. I with you on the stick it in the line week after week but for this week no turnovers = win

This is what I saw as well. Yes, it was maddening, but it worked because if you kept putting Orton back there with no Rb able to see and pick up the blitz, Orton would have been on a stretcher before the 3rd quarter was half over.

This is what I saw as well. Yes, it was maddening, but it worked because if you kept putting Orton back there with no Rb able to see and pick up the blitz, Orton would have been on a stretcher before the 3rd quarter was half over.

I thought 75% of the pass plays he had plenty of time if not a lot of time.

Bills on first down:

Q1

Run LG

Run LT

PlayAction long pass to Woods complete

Sacked

Run LG

Run RG

Play action TD to Lee Smith

Q2

Play action to Watkins incomplete

Run LG

Run RG

Run bounced out to LT

Run LG

Total first half: 32 rush yds, 125 pass yds, lost time of possession by 5 min.

Q3

Play action off LG, but sacked

Run LG

Run LG

Run LG

Run RG

No first downs the entire quarter

Q4

Run RG hit in backfield (because they knew!)

Run RG

Run RG

Run RG

Kneel-down

This imaginative play-calling is brought to you Nate Hackett.

completely disagree. it is far from exciting football but a W is a W. winnng ugly, as was the slogan for some chicago white sox teams who were horrible offensively yet played very good "small ball" and defense to win a championship back in '05.

true, it was painful at times today. however, no ints and orton is still in good health. the OL is still marginal at best.

Bills on first down:

Q1

Run LG

Run LT

PlayAction long pass to Woods complete

Sacked

Run LG

Run RG

Play action TD to Lee Smith

Q2

Play action to Watkins incomplete

Run LG

Run RG

Run bounced out to LT

Run LG

Total first half: 32 rush yds, 125 pass yds, lost time of possession by 5 min.

Q3

Play action off LG, but sacked

Run LG

Run LG

Run LG

Run RG

No first downs the entire quarter

Q4

Run RG hit in backfield (because they knew!)

Run RG

Run RG

Run RG

Kneel-down

This imaginative play-calling is brought to you Nate Hackett.

Thx astro. I knew I was not imagining. Hackett the freaking chump.

Hackett is terrible. Worst play-calling game of the season and we score 43 points though. They will say he "managed the game" but he did everything he could to lose that. If our defense wasn't so good and their offense so bad this could have had a much different outcome

Glad folks are starting to see the truth... I thank Mike Vick AND Geno Smith for gift-wrapping this game for our offensive staff.. As for Hackett... Don't leave the guy alone in a room with a birthday cake.. Guaranteed, it WILL end up on the floor somehow.

FiRe.

HaCkEtt.

To-dAy.

Man, it's good to be back.

When was the last time our QB threw 4 TD's, we won on the road, and we pissed and moaned about the OC?

Half past never.

Misery loves company and this place is packed.

I guess just the concept that so many people feel that way, what seems like the vast majority, should tell you something. Usually just the negative nancies or outliers say that stuff.

Steelers up 10 with 5 minutes left. 4th and 1 on Indy 10. They go for it and score TD to go up 17. You would never see the Bills try that.

And I guess the concept that eludes both of you is the difference between the Jets offense today and the Andrew Luck led Colts that have hung 34 on the road to that point. But please, carry on as if that call was analogous that happened to ANYTHING in the Bills game today.

completely disagree. it is far from exciting football but a W is a W. winnng ugly, as was the slogan for some chicago white sox teams who were horrible offensively yet played very good "small ball" and defense to win a championship back in '05.

true, it was painful at times today. however, no ints and orton is still in good health. the OL is still marginal at best.

A W is a W but that doesnt save NH from the fact that he called an embarrassing game. This win had more to do with the defense having 6 turnovers then it did with ball control/offensive success.

The playcalling is predictable to a degree that it offends the mind.

This clown has to leave at the end of the year no matter what.

And to think we debated pages upon pages of posts as to whether or not NH knew how to utilize CJ. This guy doesnt know how to utilize anything with his mickey mouse schemes.

Half past never.

And I guess the concept that eludes both of you is the difference between the Jets offense today and the Andrew Luck led Colts that have hung 34 on the road to that point. But please, carry on as if that call was analogous that happened to ANYTHING in the Bills game today.

I dont know what you are talking about. I never made any comment about comparing the two.

Its on nfl.com how" bills fans can and should complain about the ultra conservative" play calling

When was the last time our QB threw 4 TD's, we won on the road, and we pissed and moaned about the OC?

The win is great. The predictable calling is not. Thats your bottom line

Agree. This team isn't built to win throwing 40 times per game particularly against that jets dline. If we put the ball in the air 30-40 times how many more sacks would we give up. In this particular game playing conservative with rare shots downfield worked. Interesting they were more aggressive on the first series then the rest of the game it seemed.

Half past never.

Fine... I'm interested to see what happens if we go that long without a 1st down vs. the Chiefs... a team that can absolutely score in BUNCHES....

keeping Hackett is like driving on a bad tire... it may work for a while, but sooner or later, something bad, and completely avoidable happens..

absolutely stupid post..... very stupid... that commitment to run showed up in play action... TD to Lee Smith who was riduloudly wide open for instance. Go punch a wall or something... Every game has it's own context... The goal is to win not to create style points or earn fantasy points... They just won their third road game of the year. 2 out of three of these places I know we had never won at. We beat a division rival on the road and pounded them by 20 points. How many points did you want to score today? They are 5-3 and learning how to win. They WON and it wan't a fluke or anything. WTF is wrong with you people? Seriously? Just enjoy the win!!!

Fine... I'm interested to see what happens if we go that long without a 1st down vs. the Chiefs... a team that can absolutely score in BUNCHES....

keeping Hackett is like driving on a bad tire... it may work for a while, but sooner or later, something bad, and completely avoidable happens..

Is that your KC prediction you'd like on record?