A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Texans got rolled last week by NY Giants running backs for 200 yards. Hackett starts the gaming with passing plays. That was with a Offensive line starting 2 rookies and a stiff (Pears) against an undersized Houston Defense that loves to rush the QB. That is classic coaching over think. EJ has no confidence. It is gone. After 2 good weeks the last 2 are brutal. His mechanics are off and he guides the ball. What I observe is the routes called don't favor EJ. These long go routes on 3rd and 8 are baffling. I watch other teams do crossing routes, up and outs or quick slants against the Bills. How about they implement a few? I have this too many times and I am calling it now: this team does not make the playoffs.

I agree about the gameplan being classic overthinking. Let's see, the Giants rolled over them with the rushing game, we have a couple great rushers, soo, since they'll be practicing to stuff our run game all week, we'll suprise the hell out of them and pass like crazy. Big problem is we don't have the QB to pull that off - duh. Also, on the long 80 yd throw to Mike Williams, I love seeing a score, but after seeing the replay I noticed Williams all alone downfield, waving his arm at EJ "hey I'm open, lookie here!!". Did EJ only see him because of that? I worry that may be the case, that the game is too fast for him and he can't scan his options fast enough.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe to say that this regime has fully mismanaged the QB position and it will and should cost them their jobs. Everything from the backup QB, guards, scheme, and game planning has been royally bungled, and now EJ's confidence most likely is destroyed. It's over, I'm sorry to say it but I've been a fan long enough to know when a QB has been ruined.

Not saying EJ was the right guy anyway, but now we'll never know, because the Dougs have set a dumpster fire to his career with piss-poor strategic planning. The fact that his college "mental coach" (therapist) is back in the picture tells me all I need to know.

Sorry folks, feel free to hang onto the "he's only played 15 games" and "wait and see" mentality, but I'm not getting on board. I've seen all I need to see.

EJ is toast.

Amen CT. They've shown they can't be trusted to build a team. I don't see that changing. Perhaps it's games like this they cement the need to change the organization so fundamentally.

Defense was stout today. Countless 3 and outs. I remember telling my dad right after the 8o TD to m. Williams the only bad thing about that is our poor d gets no rest. Then as the d stopped Houston again to give the bills back the ball, with a chance to win the game, I told him

"It doesn't matter what ej did the rest of the game, the best situatuion u can ask for is to have Atleast a chance at the end to win it" I was screeeeeaming at the tv for a illegal contact flag on the last play, ej threw to the spot woody would have been if he wasn't held the entire damn play.

The body language from the receivers today was very discouraging. Woods doesn't even try to hide it. Chandler still sucks. I would love to know what goes they b.spikes head after having Brady on the other side of the ball for all those years and now having ej.

The game plan was terrible, it was even worse than that unwatchable Dwayne Johnson movie by the same name. No idea what Hackett was thinking wanting to throw it 40 times when the Texans were begging to be run on. It was comically bad, and got progressively worse as the game wore on. Penalties were killer again and the mental mistakes (Graham / Rivers) were back breakers.

The only person who had a worse game than EJ was Mr. Pears. The guy missed on every downfield block he attempted this week. He would have been better off playing drunk, and the Bills would be better served by having anyone -- and I do mean anyone -- else playing RG. Pears should not only be released, he should be forced to perform 300 hours of community service where he apologizes to each and every Bills fan for the unarmed robbery he commits every week when he cashes his game checks.

This was a big game that was important for the team's playoffs chances. Next week gets tougher, and even if they win it's out of conference. That said, there's a ton of talent on this roster.

EJ was brutal. I saved him for last because that's where he feels the most comfortable anyway and I'm a considerate fellow. Saint Doug is going down with the ship unless EJ can figure out how to stop floating balls and magically improve his seemingly diminishing field vision.

I think it's safe to say that this regime has fully mismanaged the QB position and it will and should cost them their jobs. Everything from the backup QB, guards, scheme, and game planning has been royally bungled, and now EJ's confidence most likely is destroyed. It's over, I'm sorry to say it but I've been a fan long enough to know when a QB has been ruined.

Not saying EJ was the right guy anyway, but now we'll never know, because the Dougs have set a dumpster fire to his career with piss-poor strategic planning. The fact that his college "mental coach" (therapist) is back in the picture tells me all I need to know.

Sorry folks, feel free to hang onto the "he's only played 15 games" and "wait and see" mentality, but I'm not getting on board. I've seen all I need to see.

EJ is toast.

There is nothing wrong with sitting EJ and allowing a pedestrian veteran qb demonstrate to EJ how to play the position. Giving him more time to compose himself and work on his mechanics might prove beneficial.

One analyst who I think highly of, Greg Cosell, stated that EJ was a raw prospect with good tools who needed time to work on his game. No matter how much this staff wanted to force and accelerate his development it is not working.

Entering this season the Bills were at best a fringe playoff team. If they continue playing EJ they are going to very quickly take themselves out of contention. You can see the frustration building on offense, especially with the receivers, with EJ at the helm. Now is the time to try another qb and allow EJ as a backup to work on his game.

What more can be said that hasn't already been frequently said. You don't have to be a football guru to see how this offense is floundering. It's not only ugly football it is also not fair to the team. Making change now could possibly help the team and also in the long run help the young qb.

EJ is toast.

He wasn't an elite prospect to start with. Of all the stupid things they've done with the QB position not creating a competitive environment has been the worst. The people clinging to the idea that Kevin Kolb had a drop left in his tank are kidding themselves, he was brought in to be the hopeless tomato can that the young QB was going to kick over to build his confidence. The frickin' bum hadn't even thrown 10 TD passes in any of his NFL seasons let alone warranted another shot at a starting job. Kyle Orton is a less gutsy version of Fitz but those two look like Dan Marino compared to Kolb. It was an all or nothing scenario from the start......and TERRIBLY crafted at that. I don't mind whiffing on a first round QB....if one pans out it's worth SO MUCH to an organization. But unless you have a great QB you always have to be bringing in legitimate competition and looking for an elite one diligently. A QB that is too mentally fragile to compete is not who you want being the face of your franchise.

6)Broken heart don't feel so bad,

Ain't got half a what you thought you had.

Rock your baby to and fro,

Not too fast and not too slow.

And I say row, Jimmy, row

Gonna get there?

I don't know.

Seems a common, way to go

Get down, row, row, row,

row, row.

Gotta love the Dead. Thanks,for the reminder. I'm listening to the May '77 Cornell show and life is much more mellow.

The time management...if can call it that...at the end of the first half was awful Me and my friend watching were screaming for EJ to spike the ball, Ray Charles could have seen that that was the right play. Bills lost at least two additional plays because of that blunder.

He wasn't an elite prospect to start with. Of all the stupid things they've done with the QB position not creating a competitive environment has been the worst. The people clinging to the idea that Kevin Kolb had a drop left in his tank are kidding themselves, he was brought in to be the hopeless tomato can that the young QB was going to kick over to build his confidence. The frickin' bum hadn't even thrown 10 TD passes in any of his NFL seasons let alone warranted another shot at a starting job. Kyle Orton is a less gutsy version of Fitz but those two look like Dan Marino compared to Kolb. It was an all or nothing scenario from the start......and TERRIBLY crafted at that. I don't mind whiffing on a first round QB....if one pans out it's worth SO MUCH to an organization. But unless you have a great QB you always have to be bringing in legitimate competition and looking for an elite one diligently. A QB that is too mentally fragile to compete is not who you want being the face of your franchise.

Nobody can argue with that, so sick of people saying he will be ruined some how if he sits for a while.

13) Yeah, this game was on EJ. He was no better than Thad Lewis today or even Tuel. I am calling for him to be immediately benched. If you disagree, please tell me how much time you care to give him, ok?

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most accurate thing you've said in a while. I actually think i'd rather live through the Tuel developmental years than EJ. At least he can run and throws a decent pass down the middle of the field. Orton has to see the field just to see if he can get the WR's more involved,

No EJ does not need to play. What you see is what you are going to get. It's Orton time.

This is what I've been preaching from the beginning.

EJ is EJ. He is near his ceiling now. He has always been this player.

It's just a question of when, how, and under what circumstances this all changes.

I fear it will take an injury to EJ to get Orton a look at QB. We'll find out.

For years QBs learned behind vets. It is only recently that the NFL has moved away from that, much to the detriment of the player. It is because there is no patience, not because the philosophy isn't sound.

I agree with your comments here Kelso.

Can we talk about the real problem? Ej certainly struggled some, but if you can blame him for throwing 40+ passes in a game that was almost always within one score and against a team that allowed nearly 200 on the ground last week then go ahead. You can use coaching to hide qb defiencies, ask Bruce Arians among others

Ultimately it will rest with Pegula to make the tough choice of cleaning house with the coaching staff. The problem with cleaning house, again, is that the team is then set back another 2-3 seasons to rebuild. Ugg....we may not make the playoffs again until 2020+

This board drives me nuts. For years people crapped all over the Master Piethrower Fitzpatrick, now we long for him. This board gets old as there's always a better solution somewhere else. Penalties killed the Bills no discipline.

Then go away.

But, yes, our current QB made me long for our old QB. Fitzgerald has courage, moxy and 'IT'. I miss those traits.

4) Let's see....we are near midfield with 30 something seconds before the half, and no timeouts. Do you spike the ball and set up a few plays? No? OK, let's line up and throw an inbounds 3 yard pass. Marrone and Hackett are not up to the task. They are sub-par coaches who are WAY over their heads. So is Brandon who hired these Syracuse cronies. Hopefully, they will all be fired, and they can take Whaley with them.

10) If Marrone has a hair on his ass he would bench EJ vs. the Lions. Orton may not be that good, but he is a professional quarterback. And I am guessing that if Orton makes a good play, he won't feel the need to stare up into the screen. That said, Marrone probably will not do this. He and Whaley are clinging to their last shred of hope. It's sickening.

12) What did you people think about the Bills time management in the first half? Does this look like a professional coaching staff? I am going to call it disgraceful.

Right on the mark. As I've said before, and I'll say it again now, Marrone has NO business being an NFL head coach. The Bills' FO definitely "settled" on Marrone when they couldn't get a decent, experienced HC to take the job.

The really sad thing is that some folks in here called me "stupid" when I said it just this past week. LOL

EJ aside - starting two rookies on the OL is not a great indicator for success. Lo and behold, they got abused at times. The inability to solve the OL riddle is the main reason we've performed so poorly the last two weeks on offence.

And can we start talking LBs? The absence of Alonso is killing us. The current crop cannot cover and nor are they great at tackling in the open field. Great at run D - woeful otherwise.

These are all factors for what will likely be a really up and down season. Do we really have to start debating the next FSU QB pick?

This is crazy- I just found out the "J" in EJ actually stands for Jamarcus.

thank you. Finally today....a chuckle

I had an admittedly extreme thought with a not so obvious answer: If the Bills decide he's not the guy and cut him, would he find work in the NFL?

I was as angry at this game as any in recent memory. We let them off the hook at the end of the first by allowing conversions twice on third and long, and with our db making a horrible play on the td. Then the non-spike was absurd, followed by the 3 yard pass in bounds. Idiotic. All the timeouts were long gone because EJ had to walk to the sidelines to find out magical plays that accomplished little.

Then the handoff to Watts for pick 6 after we got the ball on their 20. 14 point turnaround. We should have been up by 20 at that point.

Pinned at the 1 yard line, I might have punted on first down. Twice.

EJ's in over his head. He should be depressed.

It seems to be a typical occurrence over the past several years. Every year, a loss(es) that sticks to you because the Bills gave it away one way or the other.

Can anyone else see that the team and the QB are being coached conservatively to minimize the chance of Manuel making mistakes?

Not that he'd be any better with the leash off...but complaining that EJ's game is based on never making a mistake completely misses the root of the problem. Bill's #7 is a good example of this, too...as is the game plan at the start of the game: how many times did they line up a spread formation, empty backfield, RB in the slot, and let the best pass rusher in the game tee off on their mediocre-at-best QB? Completely asinine game plan.

This, times 1000!

Im not against the benching......but just understand people that if Orton comes in and also sucks.....your not going back to EJ this year......

Benching him will probably crush whatever confidence he has left....he will literally need to be biult back up in practice

John, we'd just be prolonging the inevitable. He is done.

EJ got beat by ryan pickspatrick who is absolute trash. Who we rightly discarded. EJ is absolute garbage. Just move on already. This is sad. Yes, sometimes it takes QBs time to develop. But there has to be something to develop. He is garbage.

Overdrafted because he is big and tall. Won a few games with a great team arouns him at FSU. Underacheived. What happened when they got rid of him? Oh yeah, they won the national championship.

And Hackett... wow. JV is right. What and embarrasment. Other coaches are cracking up watching game film on us. Probably saying holy hell, it's a good thing they are so dumb because they are actually good. Too bad they're too incompetent to realize it.

I'm tired of being an embarrassment in the NFL. And that's what this team is right now. When my friends watch the games with me, they are absolutely dumbfounded. If you are an NFL fan and not just a Bills fan, it's quite apparent how unbelievably inept our offense is. The game plan, OC, QB, and by proxy, the head coach, are beyond bad. They are disgraceful to professional football. They should be ashamed that people pay to watch their coaching ineptitude.

Matthew Fairburn writing for syracuse.com noted that EJ is going to be in contact with his mental coach from FSU. I don't even know how to adequately and appropriately respond to this, if true. A mental coach. You've got to be kidding me. Unbelievable.

"Prior to the game, Albert Breer of NFL Network reported Manuel was again working with his mental conditioning coach from Florida State."

Marrone cannot fix someone who's been told for years that he's good. Nor can Hostler, Downing, or Hackett. If a guy's mentally weak because no one has been hard on him at times, then the NFL isn't the correct venue to start.

Matthew Fairburn writing for syracuse.com noted that EJ is going to be in contact with his mental coach from FSU. I don't even know how to adequately and appropriately respond to this, if true. A mental coach. You've got to be kidding me. Unbelievable.

"Prior to the game, Albert Breer of NFL Network reported Manuel was again working with his mental conditioning coach from Florida State."

Marrone cannot fix someone who's been told for years that he's good. Nor can Hostler, Downing, or Hackett. If a guy's mentally weak because no one has been hard on him at times, then the NFL isn't the correct venue to start.

BV, I mentioned this above. Stick a fork in his career. And Marrone's too, for that matter: someone just paid $1.4 BILLION for this mess.

BV, I mentioned this above. Stick a fork in his career. And Marrone's too, for that matter: someone just paid $1.4 BILLION for this mess.

Sorry I missed that. :doh:

I'm just stunned. I guess I need to get a life coach now to deal with my depression about the Bills losing so much. :lol:

I was most disheartened with the 2 minute drill at the end of the half. I don't know if it was EJ or Marrone, but someone screwed up mightily.

How about the fact that the QB burned 3 timeouts and the fact that Robert Woods insisted on holding onto a pass that not only resulted in negative yards but also kept him in bounds? I don't actually blame Woods -- he was desperate for a catchable pass that he wasn't going to turn down the one (out of eight or so) that came his way.

Edited by dave mcbride

Seriously. In the words of an FSU QB who is a degenerate but can actually win. "F@#$ this PU$$Y." Football, and especially NFL football, is not the game for you EJ. Get the f!@# off the field. Jim Kelly beat cancer this year. You can't beat Fitzpatrick. Best thing you can do right now is take a que from kevin kolb and slip on a f!@#ing mat and be out for the season/forever.

How about the fact that the QB burned 3 timeouts and the fact that Robert Woods insisted on holding onto a pass that not only resulted in negative yards but also kept him in bounds? I don't actually blame Woods -- he was desperate for a catchable pass that he wasn't going to turn down the one (out of eight or so) that came his way.

Twelve. They threw his way twelve times and got 18 yards.

I get what your first thought may be but I want to chime in here.

Mental health and the entire viewpoint of mentality in this world is whack.

We work out our muscles and we train and condition our bodies for athletic endeavors. The mind is no different. Throwing motions for QB's, balance drills for RB's, tip drills for DB's, bird dogging for OL and kicking field goals... you get it.

There is nothing wrong with adjusting mental strength.

I get what your first thought may be but I want to chime in here.

Mental health and the entire viewpoint of mentality in this world is whack.

We work out our muscles and we train and condition our bodies for athletic endeavors. The mind is no different. Throwing motions for QB's, balance drills for RB's, tip drills for DB's, bird dogging for OL and kicking field goals... you get it.

There is nothing wrong with adjusting mental strength.

Thank you.

Tough guy syndrome runs rampant around here. It's a wonder all of the hulking, ultra-confident supermen around these parts haven't already conquered the NFL, Al Qaeda, Antarctica and space the way some people talk.

Working with the equivalent of a mental fitness coach is no more a sign of weakness than is working with a strength and conditioning coach.

1) Was it me, or did McKelvin call a fair catch on a couple of punts that it looked like he could have returned?

2) Please excuse me, I am going to be less delicate and more scathing today.

3) Carpenter's successful field goal was probably a contributing factor to the blood pressure of the average Bills Fan. I actually thought that he missed it.

4) Let's see....we are near midfield with 30 something seconds before the half, and no timeouts. Do you spike the ball and set up a few plays? No? OK, let's line up and throw an inbounds 3 yard pass. Marrone and Hackett are not up to the task. They are sub-par coaches who are WAY over their heads. So is Brandon who hired these Syracuse cronies. Hopefully, they will all be fired, and they can take Whaley with them.

5) EJ completed 21 passes today. My contention is that most of his completions even sucked. He was not leading his receivers and was throwing late. The TD pass to Sammy should have been an easy play. It wasn't. Much more to come on EJ.

6)Broken heart don't feel so bad,

Ain't got half a what you thought you had.

Rock your baby to and fro,

Not too fast and not too slow.

And I say row, Jimmy, row

Gonna get there?

I don't know.

Seems a common, way to go

Get down, row, row, row,

row, row.

7) Manuel had many opportunities to run. It looked to me as if he didn't have the balls to do so.

8) Kyle Williams was clearly double covered when he blocked that pass in the 3rd qtr. He is as fundamentally sound as any player we will see. I hope his knee is OK, and the same applies to Bradham, who looks very good.

9) The interception by McKelvin was so off the charts great that its hard to describe. It was the best play of his career, and I have a hard time picturing him ever making a better play. That was a great play for Deion Sanders or Mel Blount. He not only muscled the ball from the receiver, but he went up a mile high. What a freaking play!!!!!

10) If Marrone has a hair on his ass he would bench EJ vs. the Lions. Orton may not be that good, but he is a professional quarterback. And I am guessing that if Orton makes a good play, he won't feel the need to stare up into the screen. That said, Marrone probably will not do this. He and Whaley are clinging to their last shred of hope. It's sickening.

11) Once again, my man Searcy is making pays. The truth is that even Gilmore didn't hurt us today.

12) What did you people think about the Bills time management in the first half? Does this look like a professional coaching staff? I am going to call it disgraceful.

13) Yeah, this game was on EJ. He was no better than Thad Lewis today or even Tuel. I am calling for him to be immediately benched. If you disagree, please tell me how much time you care to give him, ok?

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think you were too easy on them

EJ's ENTIRE game is based on not throwing a pick NO MATTER WHAT, and not taking a hit NO MATTER WHAT.

EJ is the second coming of Trent Edwards. Clueless,and hopeless.

If I had to choose between Manuel and Trent Edwards, I'd take Edwards. Neither quarterback is going to throw the ball more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. (Except on extremely rare occasions.) But at least Edwards' 0 - 5 yard passes are going to be more accurate than Manuel's.