Should Orton start next week?

Dorkington

Who should start next week?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start next week?

• EJ Manuel
    • Kyle Orton

Listening to Beuerlein giving EJ some tough love on the broadcast today, it occurred to me that Orton is Beuerlein 2.0. Which kind of sucks since Beuerlein's best season as a starter was 1999 when he "led" Carolina to an 8-8 record. So it is with next to no enthusiasm that I say "start Kyle next week." Manuel just plain looks scared -- scared to fit the ball into tight coverage, scared to throw long, scared to pull it down and run for a first down when there's an open field in front of him, whether that's because the coaches have told him not to or because he doesn't trust his knees. He looks like ... Trent Edwards, except he threatens to run whereas Trent just stood there, but the threat is becoming an idle threat that defenses don't need to fear. He's not horrible, but if Orton had started today and played like Kyle Orton (or Steve Beuerlein) we would've been right in this game. As it was, we weren't. The score made it look closer than it was.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prevent offense.

Nice.

I thought the D adjusted well to the short passing game. They were beat by a couple nice long passes and bad coverage. It helped that San Diego had the wind at their backs, but those plays could've been prevented. San Diego had great 3rd down conversion % coming into this game, so I wasn't totally surprised by their efficiency early on. When they're on top of their game, they're hard to stop.

Overall, it was a solid outing by the D. Schwartz didn't need to blitz more. The line was getting pressure, but Rivers beat it often enough. Blitzing more may have actually made the situation worse.

Edited by LeGOATski

It was 13-3 at the half

They moved the ball well but they certainly didn't score at will . The fact is that they knew that once they got up a couple of scores that a qb of EJ's ability would not be able to bring us back without the help of turnovers or special teams

San Diego scored 2 td's, 2 fg's, and moved the ball from about their 10 to midfield pinning the Bills back around their 10 on the only drive of their 1st 5 they didn't score on. In those drives they had 4 - 20+ yard plays. Scoring on 4 of 5 drives, each starting inside their 25 indicates they were hitting on nearly all cylinders.

Little reason to believe the Chargers couldn't have scored more if they didn't go ultra conservative w/ the 17 (subsequently reduced to 10) point lead. Even if EJ had picked it up, penalties, lack of stopping SD on 3rd down, and giving up huge plays would have likely still given SD the win today.

San Diego scored 2 td's, 2 fg's, and moved the ball from about their 10 to midfield pinning the Bills back around their 10 on the only drive of their 1st 5 they didn't score on. In those drives they had 4 - 20+ yard plays. Scoring on 4 of 5 drives, each starting inside their 25 indicates they were hitting on nearly all cylinders.

Little reason to believe the Chargers couldn't have scored more if they didn't go ultra conservative w/ the 17 (subsequently reduced to 10) point lead. Even if EJ had picked it up, penalties, lack of stopping SD on 3rd down, and giving up huge plays would have likely still given SD the win today.

Looks like you and I watched the same game. Our D did precious little until AFTER the Chargers came out and used half the 3rd quarter before scoring a TD to make it 20-3. Couldn't get off the field to save themselves until the 4th quarter. D was not good today, either.

GO BILLS!!!

What percentage of the idiocy do we associate with PUI (posting under the influence)? It is game day, after all.

I say 72.5%

I think I'll have another beer and ponder this for a split second before I say something stupid... Oh wait, I've probably been doing that all day... But how would I know?

The goal is to win. New ownership. Marrone might make the switch. Did anyone see his face after some of those horrible plays??? He was visible upset, ESPECIALLY after the sack on 3rd down where he fumbled.

I would be upset to be a WR. When they were open he was locked on someone else. And he just left Marquise out to dry! He throws floaty and that ain't gonna work in our elements. He really struggles against 3-4. I can go on and on.

HE NEEDS TO SIT AND LEARN. I STILL LIKE HIM.

I'm obviously not going to be able to come back to this board until after the next win.

It's a piece of work, isn't it? But yeah, that might be the safe bet to wait until after the next win. But even then, it depends on how we win. Piece of work indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ has progressed in certain areas, such as leadership, but you can't teach a quarterback accuracy. EJ will likely thus continue to be, way too often, the EJ we saw today. That being said, Orton in not the answer. We don't have one at this time and very likely won't next season even if we choose to go in a different direction. Keep playing EJ and hope for a miracle.

The goal is to win. New ownership. Marrone might make the switch. Did anyone see his face after some of those horrible plays??? He was visible upset, ESPECIALLY after the sack on 3rd down where he fumbled.

I would be upset to be a WR. When they were open he was locked on someone else. And he just left Marquise out to dry! He throws floaty and that ain't gonna work in our elements. He really struggles against 3-4. I can go on and on.

HE NEEDS TO SIT AND LEARN. I STILL LIKE HIM.

The "sit and learn" ship has sailed. Too bad we didn't have Orton last year. For the short term, you need to give your starter a chance to play through a rough game. The single most important aspect of a QB's development is how well he handles adversity on a play to play, series to series, and game to game basis. If he gives the staff absolutely no reason to play him as a result, then you make the move to the backup. Not before.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe it is the fact that San Diego is a damn good football team. If you were told at the beginning of the season we would be 2-1 after 3 games, how many people would have said they would not take that? I will be completely stoked if we are 3-2 going into the New England game!

I would've been happy with 2-1 yes, but we are really close I believe to being solid. Its not about EJ playing bad today. Its fundamental parts of his game that lost this game. Teams are gonna eat him up. They put 1 on 1 coverage in secondary & he just is too afraid to give his guys a shot.

I had hoped he turned the corner but he just cant win us games. Game manager wont get us in playoffs. We have playmakers that deserve better. 1st two games other groups bailed him out. Today we got down by 10 and I saw bad things.

Too soon. It'll take a few more weeks of something similar for the coaches to pull the plug.

EJ. stinks up the place a couple more times, and they will make the change during the bye week, or risk losing the season and the team.

Maybe it is the fact that San Diego is a damn good football team. If you were told at the beginning of the season we would be 2-1 after 3 games, how many people would have said they would not take that? I will be completely stoked if we are 3-2 going into the New England game!

No doubt the better team won. Chargers were very impressive.

Two quarterbacks almost certainly going to the playoffs this year -- Dalton and Wilson -- actually caught passes today. Dalton for a touchdown. Yet we're so scared of losing EJ that he won't run? That's why Orton is here. Let EJ play all out. He's either gonna make it or fail as a running QB. He will definitely NOT make it as a non-running QB.

You know, I voted Orton, but as someone who has not been impressed with EJ (even in the games we won) I think we need him to stay in and get better. Orton would be a band-aid. Giving EJ time and experience in hopes that he eventually turns the corner might be frustrating right now but would be our best chance at seeing things get better for this team down the road.

So you're mad because he smiled because Woods doesn't look for the ball? Jesus get a grip. Seriously this is idiotic

Nah I'm not an idiot, just giving my opinion. I know the defense gave up long scoring drives and that's not on EJ but when the ball was in his hands he was inaccurate with his passes. If a teams running game isn't getting it done a franchise QB has got to be able to put the team on his shoulders to win the game. Right now EJ can't... Just a simple difference in what I would like too see in my franchise QB and what you would...

You people make me want to hang myself with a bed sheet.

You people make me want to hang myself with a bed sheet.

I have a feeling at this rate that the idiot thread for DC Tom may see a huge drop in the number of people he hasn't called an idiot yet....

Way too early, IMO. It was not a good game for him but certainly not bench-worthy. He left plays on the field he can learn from. Lots of blame to go around as usual after a loss. Move forward and win this week; lots of areas to improve upon, clearly. I had a feeling this was going to be a loss but had high hopes we could get it done at home. Time to bounce back.

If you want to make the playoffs each game must be treated like gold. We no longer have the luxury to wait to find out if EJ is an nfl qb. Orton shoild step in immediately.

I wouldn't start Orton against Houston, but I would certainly have a quick hook for EJ for the reason you just articulated. The rest of this team is ready to win now.

I wouldn't start Orton against Houston, but I would certainly have a quick hook for EJ for the reason you just articulated. The rest of this team is ready to win now.

then the rest of the team needs to play like it too. There was no shortage of players who did not play well today. There is a lot of talent, but they need to step it way up in several areas. This was a very good team but it was a winnable game had they played to their potential.

Can somebody tell me exactly why Orton is so much better than EJ...I mean an actual fact based response...

I know. There is no way EJ has played bad enough to lose the starting job after one loss this year. Gimme a break..

If EJ sucks game after game then its different. But he has to play for the time being without question. Benching him now would be completely crazy and would also ensure that the entire coaching staff would get fired at the end of the year.