Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 3, Chargers at Bills

Dan

Week 3: San Diego Chargers at Buffalo Billions

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Andrew Catalon, Steve Tasker, Steve Beuerlein

DirecTV: 705

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 84 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

With the league's longest active playoff drought hanging over them, the Buffalo Bills are far from content with their 2-0 start.

The Bills enter Sunday seeking their longest win streak since last opening 3-0 in 2011 as they host the San Diego Chargers, who won't have Ryan Mathews available for the foreseeable future.

The Chargers (1-1) head into Buffalo after holding off Seattle 30-21 last Sunday, beating the reigning Super Bowl champion despite Mathews being removed on a cart in the fourth quarter. San Diego announced Monday that he had a sprained right MCL but didn't disclose the degree of the injury or how long he would be out.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chargers at Bills Video Preview 

Week 3 preview: Chargers at Bills

NFL Week 3 viewer's guide

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Dolphins

Total Yds/Game.... 337.5         333.5

Total Rush............. 153.0           76.5

Total Pass............. 184.5         257.0

Points/Game..........  26.0           23.5

Time of Poss..........  29.6           35.2

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 358.5         345.5

Rush Yards...........  83.0         108.5

Pass Yards........... 275.5         237.0

Points Allowed........ 15.0           19.5

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Billions

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Charles, Stefan           DT          Hip          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Johnson, Randell          LB          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Meeks, Jonathan           S          Neck          Out          Out          Out          Out

Rivers, Keith             LB          Groin          LP          LP          LP          Doubtful

Smith, Lee                TE          Toe          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Watkins, Sammy            WR          Ribs          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Williams, Chris           G          Back          -          LP          LP          Probable

Woods, Robert             WR          Ankle          LP          DNP          LP          Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

San Diego Chargers

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Addae, Jahleel            S          Hamstring          LP          LP          FP          Questionable

Allen, Keenan             WR          Groin          -          LP          LP          Questionable

Attaochu, Jerry          OLB          Hamstring          DNP          DNP          DNP          Questionable

Davis, Chris              CB          Ankle          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Flowers, Brandon          CB          Groin          DNP          FP          FP          Probable

Freeney, Dwight           OLB          Non-injury related          DNP          FP          FP          Probable

Gates, Antonio            TE          Hamstring          DNP          LP          FP          Probable

Ingram, Melvin           OLB          Hamstring          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Liuget, Corey             DE          Ankle          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Mathews, Ryan             RB          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Ohrnberger, Rich         C-G          Back          LP          DNP          FP          Probable

Troutman, Johnnie         G          Back          LP          DNP          FP          Probable

Source: Chargers.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Billions -2.5

Over/Under: 45.5

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

This game has me amped up.  I’m not sure if it’s the 2-0 start, the good play from Manuel or the fact that they’re facing a tough opponent in the Chargers.  But, I think we’ll find out a lot about our team this week.  How will they fair after an emotional win last week? Can they maintain the intensity and fire on the field?  Can they keep up with a high powered offense?  Of course, I could be saying all that about the Chargers too.

The Chargers are no doubt looking to build on the momentum from last week’s win.  They’re gonna be fired up and ready to show the league that it wasn’t a fluke.  But, they’re traveling across the country with several big injuries.  The Billions need to bring more heat and shut them down early.  It’s our time to lay claim to the league and show that Buffalo is for real.

Here’s what I’m watching for this week:

1. Red Zone offense.  It’s been talked about since last week.  The players talked about it as a point of emphasis in practice.  One TD per week just isn’t going to cut it, especially when you’re playing a team that can put up points like SD. I’m curious to see if they get more creative and less conservative near the goal line.  And if they do, can they do it without making the costly turnovers? Will they finally look for Mike Williams down there?

2. Sammy Watkins.  He’s got a target on his back this week.  After last week’s coming out party, he’s the talk of all the pundits.  I’m sure the Chargers noticed as well.  This could be the first game in which an opponent is specifically game planning to shut him down.  I’m really curious to see how he responds.

3. Antonio Gates.  The guy is a beast! And seems to be showing little signs of slowing down.  We’ve historically had a terrible time covering big TEs in the middle of the field.  Who’s going to cover him?  Can they keep him in check?  

4. CJ Spiller on special teams.  Will the Chargers kick to him?  I’m guessing they’ll do all they can to keep him from touching the ball on kick offs.

5. Broncos at Seahawks.  That came should be awesome with excellent story lines, great teams looking for their own validation.  And after another huge win, it’s gonna be great to relax and watch another good game. 

Go Bills!!

"Sammy Watkins. He’s got a target on his back this week. After last week’s coming out party, he’s the talk of all the pundits. I’m sure the Chargers noticed as well. This could be the first game in which an opponent is specifically game planning to shut him down. I’m really curious to see how he responds."

Agree with this...and would add perhaps the opponent will game plan to shut him down which opens up others such as Williams and Chandler.

Go Bills!!! Great day for football!!!!!!!!

This is the Bill's biggest test so far, as the Chargers are legit. The Chargers have some tough-to-cover targets in Keenan Allen and Antonio Gates. These two are really good at creating separation and Rivers can hit them with an accurate passing attack. I've heard some arguments that since we held the Bears offence in check, that we can stop the Chargers as well. Rivers isn't likely to turn the ball over like Cutler did.

This game is pretty tough to predict the outcome. Win or lose, this Bills team has shown that it shows up prepared and hungry every week. We are tough in the trenches and I don't expect us to beat ourselves. I can't wait 'til kick-off to see this game.

This game is pretty important for the AFC wildcard race. If we want to be a playoff team, we need to beat playoff teams.

Go BILLS!!!

FP

Let's not forget Woodhead on screens. The Bears took advantage of being able to dump screens I wonder if the Chargers try the same.

I also agree that offensively we could use a bit more creativity and perhaps even taking a few more chances downfield.

I still believe Rivers will revert to his old ways and turn it over if he faces pressure like we can bring.

Either way, isn't it fun that we are talking confidently about this game and not "let's just keep it close."?

Latest from the NWS.

Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then showers likely. High near 71. Southwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

centgrtlakes_loop.gif

Huh. Doesn't look as bad as they're making it out to be.

Let's not forget Woodhead on screens. The Bears took advantage of being able to dump screens I wonder if the Chargers try the same.

I also agree that offensively we could use a bit more creativity and perhaps even taking a few more chances downfield.

I still believe Rivers will revert to his old ways and turn it over if he faces pressure like we can bring.

Either way, isn't it fun that we are talking confidently about this game and not "let's just keep it close."?

Excellent point. Thanks for giving me something else to worry about!

I'm sure the line is going to try and get after Rivers, let's just hope they don't forget about the screen. Otherwise, it could be a long day.

yup Goat was about to make the same comment after looking ar the radar.

Most of the storms are slipping north of Buffalo and it actually looks like its all clearing out.

Actually, looking at the forecast charts, that stuff around Michigan is supposed to move over Buffalo with the low-level trough.

I guess the radar is deceiving at this time.

Hoping for rain.

@SalSports: Weatherman speaks! RT @DanWxTWCNews @SalSports one more chance for heavy shower around kick-off, give or take 1/2 hr, after that dry/breezy

Or nah...

@elcabe7: @nflnetwork #BOLDpredictions Rivers will throw for over 300 yds and 4 TD's #Chargers will win by double digits against Buffalo

@SalSports: Weatherman speaks! RT @DanWxTWCNews @SalSports one more chance for heavy shower around kick-off, give or take 1/2 hr, after that dry/breezy

Or nah...

@elcabe7: @nflnetwork #BOLDpredictions Rivers will throw for over 300 yds and 4 TD's #Chargers will win by double digits against Buffalo

I'm really worried about what a Chargers' fan with 119 followers tweets. :lol:

Or nah...

If Rivers throws for over 300 in the expected conditions I tip my hat to him. That would be impressive for sure.

@buffalobills: INACTIVE: 29 CB Cockrell, 35 RB Brown, 56 LB Rivers, 58 LB Johnson, 68 G Richardson, 71 T Kouandjio, 89 TE Gragg.

Looks like the new guy is active

@ChargersRHenne: Today's inactives: Dontrelle Inman, Chris Davis, Steve Williams, Ryan Mathews, Ricardo Mathews and Ryan Carrethers. Ingram on IR to Return.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

@buffalobills: INACTIVE: 29 CB Cockrell, 35 RB Brown, 56 LB Rivers, 58 LB Johnson, 68 G Richardson, 71 T Kouandjio, 89 TE Gragg.

Looks like the new guy is active

@ChargersRHenne: Today's inactives: Dontrelle Inman, Chris Davis, Steve Williams, Ryan Mathews, Ricardo Mathews and Ryan Carrethers. Ingram on IR to Return.

Is the Gragg experiment almost over now?

Is the Gragg experiment almost over now?

He sits with Lee Smith back today:

Inactives & lineup changes: Bills-Chargers

Lineup changes for the Bills:

No. 52 Preston Brown will start at weakside-linebacker

Lineup changes for the Chargers:

No. 93 Dwight Freeney will start at outside linebacker (for Melvin Ingram)

No. 39 Danny Woodhead will start at running back (for Ryan Mathews)

Projected starting line-ups:

BILLS OFFENSE: WR 10 Robert Woods, LT 77 Cordy Glenn, LG 74 Chris Williams, 70 C Eric Wood, RG 79 Erik Pears, 66 RT Seantrel Henderson, TE 84 Scott Chandler, QB 3 EJ Manuel, RB 28 CJ Spiller, FB 38 Frank Summers, WR 14 Sammy Watkins

BILLS DEFENSE: LDE 94 Mario Williams, DT 95 Kyle Williams, DT 99 Marcell Dareus, RDE 55 Jerry Hughes, WLB 52 Preston Brown, MLB 51 Brandon Spikes, SLB 53 Nigel Bradham, LCB 21 Leodis McKelvin, S 25 Da’Norris Searcy, S 23 Aaron Williams, RCB 24 Stephon Gilmore

CHARGERS OFFENSE: WR 13 Keenan Allen, LT 77 King Dunlap, LG 78 Chad Rinehart, C 74 Rich Ohrnberger, RG 63 Johnnie Troutman, RT 76 DJ Fluker, TE 85 Antonio Gates, WR 89 Ladarius Green, WR 80 Malcom Floyd, QB 17 Philip Rivers, RB 39 Danny Woodhead

CHARGERS DEFENSE: LE 91 Kendell Reyes, DT 98 Sean Lissemore, RE 94 Corey Liuget, OLB 93 Dwight Freeney, ILB 50 Manti Te’o, ILB 56 Donald Butler, OLB 96 Jarret Johnson, LCB 26 Brandon Flowers, RCB 29 Shareece Wright, SS 38 Marcus Gilchrist, FS 32 Eric Weddle