Multiple Reports : Pegula IS the new owner

FluffHead

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things for those who don't follow the Sabres and Pegula's ownership of them...

- I've always suspected(but have no proof) that the Bills are always near the bottom of the league when it came to coaching staff spending. That will change under Pegula.

- The same goes for front office staff including scouts. The Sabres scouting staff has grown by leaps and bounds since Pegula took over.

- If you've never heard him speak publicly, prepare yourself. Just because he is a billionaire doesn't make him a polished speaker. He is just the opposite.

- Bottom line, the guy is not afraid to spend money even if it means the team loses money. He wants to win...multiple championships!

Edited by LabattBlue

A few things for those who don't follow the Sabres and Pegula's ownership of them...

- I've always suspected(but have no proof) that the Bills always near the bottom of the league when it came to coaching staff spending. That will change under Pegula.

- The same goes for front office staff including scouts. The Sabres scouting staff has grown by leaps and bounds since Pegula took over.

- If you've never heard him speak publicly, prepare yourself. Just because he is a billionaire doesn't make him a polished speaker. He is just the opposite.

- Bottom line, the guy is not afraid to spend money even if it means the team loses money. He wants to win...multiple championships!

Yep. Good posts. One thing I learned today from one of the News articles, that the Sabres now stay at the first class hotels in the cities of their away games where they used to stay in decent hotels. Some may think pampering, some may think unnecessary, others may think a little extra draw for free agents and a nice touch toward the players to make them know they are part of a first class operation.

Pompous Toronto Star douche reacts with nasty, personal attack against Buffalo.

He talks about rebuilding as though it is worse than just hanging in the limbo of mediocrity. In a couple years the Sabres are going to be a powerhouse, crushing a perpetually floundering Maple Laffs team game after game. I can't wait.

He talks about rebuilding as though it is worse than just hanging in the limbo of mediocrity. In a couple years the Sabres are going to be a powerhouse, crushing a perpetually floundering Maple Laffs team game after game. I can't wait.

You know what's worse than rebuilding?

NOT HAVING A TEAM, SUCKERS.

ENJOY YOUR ARGOS AND SEVERAL FLAVORS OF ROUGH RIDERS.

Pompous Toronto Star douche reacts with nasty, personal attack against Buffalo.

[/font][/color]

--------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbsup:

Most of Toronto didn't even realize someone was trying to move the Bills there. They just don't care. That's three times Buffalo won out over Toronto, First Josh Gorges refuses to be traded to the Maple Leafs and goes to the Sabres instead, then Buffalo takes away the NHL Combine for the next two years. Now the Bills are staying. Let them cry in their lattes.

Is it Pegual, Peluga or Pegula?

Some petulant stuff right there.

I posted the first reply on PFT and mentioned el Pegual. It got deleted. I don't think they like me there.

Who is the highest paid coach right now and what does he make?

CBF

John Gruden, Bill Chowder, and who else do you think will be innarested in coaching The Bills at $9-10 million a year?

This post just reminded me of the old "who is your daddy and what does he do" bit.

I posted the first reply on PFT and mentioned el Pegual. It got deleted. I don't think they like me there.

John Gruden, Bill Chowder, and who else do you think will be innarested in coaching The Bills at $9-10 million a year?

http://youtu.be/KDYonGiCKZ0

I almost posted the same video. :lol:

- I've always suspected(but have no proof) that the Bills are always near the bottom of the league when it came to coaching staff spending. That will change under Pegula.

That seems to have changed in recent years. Pettine was one of the highest paid assistants in the league.

No hate toward Toronto, love the city, love the theater, the Jays, and of course, the beer/food !!

My hate is toward JBJ, Rogers and Tannenbaum. 3 guys, no more, no less.

My love is to Terry and Kim, $1.4 billion dollars to make sure those a**holes (listed above) didn't get their hands on the team.

@JohnKryk

My in-depth report on end of #Bills sale, w/ 3 likeliest reasons Pegulas bid $1.4B + #BonJovi/Tor group post-mortem: http://www.torontosu...s-dead …

This is a really interesting read.

Talks about the trust's leverage of the Toronto group, which was discussed at length here

The trust’s mission surely was to keep The Great Toronto Threat alive, if only to help to drive up Pegula’s price, had no other bidders emerged.

This was not lost on the Toronto group principals.

They knew, too, that for some local and state politicians and other principals involved in the sale, one cannot be regarded by the masses as a saviour if there’s nothing to save.

And the apathy of those in Toronto to even geting the team

Locals would have been devastated had their 55-year-old symbol of cultural unity been relocated to Toronto, a 90-minute’s drive away. You cannot blame them for nervously over-analyzing every miniscule development in the sale process, as so many did.

Torontonians, by contrast, generally could not have cared less about the possibility of gaining an NFL team, even in recent weeks as the process ramped up. It was as surprising as it was disappointing, frankly, and casts legitimate questions moving forward as to whether Toronto can be regarded as a legit football city anymore, especially in light of the paltry crowds the CFL’s Argos now get.

Fact is, outside of a few Bon Jovi headlines, the Bills-sale story seldom punctured even mainstream sports coverage in Ontario, whereas in Buffalo the story topped TV and radio newscasts for months.

Some interesting lines on the intentions of the Toronto group

For more than a year, until some time in June, Bon Jovi and his only initial partner, Tanenbaum, had been operating under the plan to relocate the Bills to Toronto at first opportunity.

But by the end of June, they flipped course and began getting word out that they intended to keep the Bills in Buffalo

In the end, the Toronto bid group’s intentions along non-relocation lines were not “clean” from a sale standpoint, said a source close to negotiations.

Plenty of proof existed to prove the Toronto-group principals might not be sincere in their summertime spinarama.

For instance, last November, four months before Wilson died, MLSE CEO/president Tim Leiweke spoke on the record to the Toronto Star about his close friendship with Bon Jovi and their joint NFL goal.

“We talk weekly about his NFL ambitions,” Leiweke told the Star. “And so we’re actively engaged, but I think it’s still a work in progress.”

This Star story also said the group’s plan would be to relocate the Bills to Toronto after Wilson’s death, and even anointed that group as the “leading contender” to buy the Bills.

Sources say members of the Wilson family at the time were as incredulous as they were indignant over the arrogance and timing of those public pronouncements, when their patriarch was known to be in frail health.

Meantime, a stadium designer hired last year by Tanenbaum and Bon Jovi told QMI Agency in July that the duo entertained approaches into this year by Toronto-area land owners hoping to accommodate their new stadium, for which he’d drawn up plans.

One of the worst-kept secrets in Toronto has been that the Bon Jovi/Tanenbaum duo into this year had been eyeing stadium sites that included port lands, Downsview Airport and vacant property adjacent to Woodbine Racetrack in the northwest corner of Toronto proper, in Etobicoke.

Yet other bits of evidence about the Toronto group’s relocation intentions concerned the seller and transaction team. All told, these obstacles would prove “too big to overcome” for the trust, an informed source said.

Said a source: “There was too much smoke for there not to be fire"

Interestingly it also says that regardless, the Toronto bid would not have been supportedby the NFL

it is inconceivable 24 of 31 other NFL owners would have approved an ownership group whose presence would have created such a dangerous, unhealthy franchise existence -- lame-duck hell -- for either five or, more likely, eight years.

On the weekend, sources confirmed that the NFL indeed had absolutely no intention of letting that ever happen.

I do hope we all remember how we felt yesterday when things turn sour for the Bills. Either a player doesn't work out or the team misses the playoffs again. It astounds me how much vitriol Pegula generates on SabreSpace (the TBD sister site.) One guy is holding his own endless "trial of Terry Pegula" for the crimes of incompetent meddling. But that's over there, a board with only a dozen or so active posters. I hope TBD never descends into that level of madness. We are blessed to have the Pegulas as owners. Whether every decision they make is perfectly correct doesn't change that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I do hope we all remember how we felt yesterday when things turn sour for the Bills. Either a player doesn't work out or the team misses the playoffs again. It astounds me how much vitriol Pegula generates on SabreSpace (the TBD sister site.) One guy is holding his own endless "trial of Terry Pegula" for the crimes of incompetent meddling. But that's over there, a board with only a dozen or so active posters. I hope TBD never descends into that level of madness. We are blessed to have the Pegulas as owners. Whether every decision they make is perfectly correct doesn't change that.

It is essentially a crusade of 1 person. (There's a couple others that join in on occassion, but if the 1 didn't keep bringing the crusade up, it would die down.)

TBD seems to bring it's own brand "of madness" at times.

I hope so too. It is horrible how some have turned against them re the Sabres. Unfortunately, there are guys like the one you mentioned as well as Bucky and Sully who have their own narrative that they push every time they can.

The fact is that we are lucky to have them as owners of the Bills and Sabres. Some like to point to where the Sabres are now re won/lost record. That misses the point. They are intentionally doing a rebuild rather than a patch job. Not many owners would have the financial patience to do what they are doing. The end result will be a very, very good young team that should challenge for several years.

I could not be more pleased with the way that this has worked out with both the Bills and Sabres.

Pegula got kicked around pretty bad for retaining Ruff and Regier for so/too long

Especially by both Bucky and Sully. The day before the Pegulas took over the Sabres, Sully wrote an article stating that the first thing they should do is fire Darcy.

Bucky always had it in for Darcy since the time that Darcy took over and wanted to give Nolan a one year contract to see how they would work together. That approach clearly made sense given what had just happened with Nolan, Muckler, and Hasek. It was curious that Bucky never criticized Tim Murray for essentially doing the same thing when he was hired (he waited to decide whether to extend Nolan's contract). Bucky now really has it in for the Pegulas and especially Kim Pegula because of LaFontaine. It is odd that, in none of Bucky's articles as I recall, does he ever mention how FAST PLF wore out his welcome with the Islanders.

As for me, I would not have fired Darcy or Lindy upon taking over. It initially worked out in any event given the Sabres went on a run and made the playoffs.

It is probably good for both Darcy and the Sabres that Darcy is gone. He was a lightning rod. He did make some good trades though and left us with a wonderful parting present - the Vanek trade. Having said that, I am pretty happy with Tim Murray. I think he is and will do a good job.

Re Lindy, I always liked him. He became a Buffalonian. I probably would have kept him. I certainly would not have fired him before Darcy. I also think that he is a much better coach than Nolan. We shall see with him.

Edited by Peter

I hope so too. It is horrible how some have turned against them re the Sabres. Unfortunately, there are guys like the one you mentioned as well as Bucky and Sully who have their own narrative that they push every time they can.

The fact is that we are lucky to have them as owners of the Bills and Sabres. Some like to point to where the Sabres are now re won/lost record. That misses the point. They are intentionally doing a rebuild rather than a patch job. Not many owners would have the financial patience to do what they are doing. The end result will be a very, very good young team that should challenge for several years.

I could not be more pleased with the way that this has worked out with both the Bills and Sabres.

Just ask any "real" hockey fan from anywhere else around the US or Canada about what the future looks like for the Sabres. It is sky-high. This is a Bills thread and forum, but as a Sabres fan I'm more excited about what's coming for that team than at any point since 2006. I don't fault Pegs for trying to keep a playoff core intact when he arrived; Regier and Ruff had built a pretty damn good team. When it fell apart, thankfully the decision was made to completely rebuild, and we are going to enjoy the benefits of that decision for years to come.

I expect patience with the Bills as well, but a strong hand if and when the time comes. Brandon and Whaley deserve that patience based upon the past 21 months.

Just ask any "real" hockey fan from anywhere else around the US or Canada about what the future looks like for the Sabres. It is sky-high. This is a Bills thread and forum, but as a Sabres fan I'm more excited about what's coming for that team than at any point since 2006. I don't fault Pegs for trying to keep a playoff core intact when he arrived; Regier and Ruff had built a pretty damn good team. When it fell apart, thankfully the decision was made to completely rebuild, and we are going to enjoy the benefits of that decision for years to come.

I expect patience with the Bills as well, but a strong hand if and when the time comes. Brandon and Whaley deserve that patience based upon the past 21 months.

Well said.

Everyone needs a scapegoat. Now that Ralph's gone, who will it be?

It's hard to know the real numbers but it appeared to me about half of the serious Sabres fans thought that Regier and Ruff needed to go immediately, and the other half, myself included, thought that maybe Darcy would be a lot better if he no longer had any restrictions.

I was wrong, as well as Pegula. But it was far from a no brainer, and far from a consensus opinion amongst fans at that time.

Especially by both Bucky and Sully. The day before the Pegulas took over the Sabres, Sully wrote an article stating that the first thing they should do is fire Darcy.

Bucky always had it in for Darcy since the time that Darcy took over and wanted to give Nolan a one year contract to see how they would work together. That approach clearly made sense given what had just happened with Nolan, Muckler, and Hasek. It was curious that Bucky never criticized Tim Murray for essentially doing the same thing when he was hired (he waited to decide whether to extend Nolan's contract). Bucky now really has it in for the Pegulas and especially Kim Pegula because of LaFontaine. It is odd that, in none of Bucky's articles as I recall, does he ever mention how FAST PLF wore out his welcome with the Islanders.

I was wondering where the weird and vaguely sexist insinuations regarding Kim Pegula came from in Bucky's article on the sale today. I found it pretty offputting.

I was wondering where the weird and vaguely sexist insinuations regarding Kim Pegula came from in Bucky's article on the sale today. I found it pretty offputting.

Bucky has done that a few times now. He really should be embarrassed about his attack on Kim Pegula. Everyone whom I know who knows her raves about her. In fact, everyone whom I know who knows Terry says the same thing. They are class owners and treat people fairly and are loyal.

Given the Pegulas long history of loyalty to the people around them (including to Darcy when the easiest thing to have done would have been to fire him from the start), one wonders about PLF -- especially given his SHORT history in management with the Islanders. Paul Hamilton stated way back when this all went down with PLF that PLF is a very different person when the cameras are not on.

Bucky presumably has a relationship with PLF and will criticize the Pegulas every chance he gets given the ax that he, PLF, and Sully have to grind.

When reading an article or column on TBN, one should remember to check who wrote it. Bucky, Sully, and (for that matter) Harrington have been overly critical of the Pegulas. Take whatever they write for TBN or on Twitter (and dare I say here and on the other site anonymously) for what it is worth and a truckload of sand.

The good news: I have noticed that over the past year or two, people have caught on to Bucky, Sully, and Harrington. Plus, with the Pegulas ensuring that the Bills will stay in Buffalo for the first time in my adult life, Bucky, Sully, and Harrington are further marginalized.

Edited by Peter

It's crazy to criticize Pegula now as owner of the Sabres. He has a clear plan and is executing it almost flawlessly.

My only issue with him as owner was that he waited 6 months to long to fire Darcy. As much as I wanted Darcy gone immediately, Pegula did the prudent thing and waited and provide him with unlimited resources to see if that would produce a winner. When it didn't, he should have pulled the trigger sooner. In the end, it worked to the Sabres advantage as Darcy pulled off a miracle trade with the Isles for Vanek !!

The other criticism he gets, which is deserved, is that he is not a great communicator, but again, that's not a big issue.

I think he's learned lessons from his experiences as Sabres owner and will apply a lot of those with the Bills.

Bottom line, I can't think of a better owner for this team.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

If the team doesnt show improvement this season, why not play the long game with executives who have a track record? Why roll the dice on unprovens?

NFL teams dont need to take a decade to build. Seattle and San Francisco installed culture changing figures and were up and running within 1 or 2 years (and Seattle completely whiffed on the LB from Wake Forest forget his name). Denver too I recall picking ahead of us and got into gear swiftly (and they whiffed on Tebow). Teams go from top 5 in the draft to playoff teams left and right and the Bills sit there always with excuses and scapegoats.

We will see what happens with this season though. I still see a 6-10 season staring at us. They would be crazy not to install a new structure if thats the case again.

Edited by May Day 10

If the team doesnt show improvement this season, why not play the long game with executives who have a track record? Why roll the dice on unprovens?

NFL teams dont need to take a decade to build. Seattle and San Francisco installed culture changing figures and were up and running within 1 or 2 years (and Seattle completely whiffed on the LB from Wake Forest forget his name). Denver too I recall picking ahead of us and got into gear swiftly (and they whiffed on Tebow). Teams go from top 5 in the draft to playoff teams left and right and the Bills sit there always with excuses and scapegoats.

We will see what happens with this season though. I still see a 6-10 season staring at us. They would be crazy not to install a new structure if thats the case again.

Why don't you wait a week. If the Bills take care of business this Sunday, they'd have to go 4-12 from there in order to match your prediction. If that were to happen, I think everyone would expect big changes. But it won't happen.

It's hard to know the real numbers but it appeared to me about half of the serious Sabres fans thought that Regier and Ruff needed to go immediately, and the other half, myself included, thought that maybe Darcy would be a lot better if he no longer had any restrictions.

I was wrong, as well as Pegula. But it was far from a no brainer, and far from a consensus opinion amongst fans at that time.

Agreed, which is why Bucky and Sully are such asses. Nobody knew for sure.

My guess is Littman does not even want to stay and will only be around for a short transition. He probably has made enough to retire or pursue other interests.

The trustees get a % of the trust, right, just for being a trustee, like an executor of a will gets, right?

Bucky has done that a few times now. He really should be embarrassed about his attack on Kim Pegula. Everyone whom I know who knows her raves about her. In fact, everyone whom I know who knows Terry says the same thing. They are class owners and treat people fairly and are loyal.

Given the Pegulas long history of loyalty to the people around them (including to Darcy when the easiest thing to have done would have been to fire him from the start), one wonders about PLF -- especially given his SHORT history in management with the Islanders. Paul Hamilton stated way back when this all went down with PLF that PLF is a very different person when the cameras are not on.

Bucky presumably has a relationship with PLF and will criticize the Pegulas every chance he gets given the ax that he, PLF, and Sully have to grind.

When reading an article or column on TBN, one should remember to check who wrote it. Bucky, Sully, and (for that matter) Harrington have been overly critical of the Pegulas. Take whatever they write for TBN or on Twitter (and dare I say here and on the other site anonymously) for what it is worth and a truckload of sand.

The good news: I have noticed that over the past year or two, people have caught on to Bucky, Sully, and Harrington. Plus, with the Pegulas ensuring that the Bills will stay in Buffalo for the first time in my adult life, Bucky, Sully, and Harrington are further marginalized.

But, Bucky was blasting the Pegulas before Pat L came and went, so what was that all about?