Is EJ Manuel a slow starter in each game ?

HOUSE

Posted Today, 08:08 AM

I have watched every game of his pro career and about 10 College games.

There seems to be a pattern here.....

Correct me if I am wrong but the guy appears off target in almost every

first quarter played, then settles down and plays better.

Its maddening to watch sometimes, It has to be driving Doug Marrone crazy :doh:

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Edited by HOUSE

I've noticed also. It's like he has anxious nerves. Should give him a couple of short, quick passes to calm him.

I want to watch this tonight. The same was true last season.

He seems to struggle early. Now that has to be fixed.

He only plays a quarter and by the time it ends he is still ice cold

Edited by HOUSE

most qb's are slow starters but especially the young ones, Rich Gannon talks about this all the time. Giving the qb easy throws get him into a rhythm, get the confidence going - the problem for EJ was last year he would miss the easy throws, or they would drop them. Hopefully the nerves aren't as bad and he can get some focus from the rest of the guys

most qb's are slow starters but especially the young ones, Rich Gannon talks about this all the time. Giving the qb easy throws get him into a rhythm, get the confidence going - the problem for EJ was last year he would miss the easy throws, or they would drop them. Hopefully the nerves aren't as bad and he can get some focus from the rest of the guys

:thumbsup: agreed

He seems to be at his best in the 2nd half

I brought this up for a reason. He is slow to start, then removed from the game.

We may not have enough information to properly evaluate EJ Manuel this preseason

I have watched every game of his pro career and about 10 games in College

Has anyone else notice this ?

I have been saying the very same thing. It's almost as if he needs to be knocked around a few times before he can his blood circulating.

Hmm......maybe we're on to something. Throw him into a locked room with some of our guys on defense and let them rough him up a bit before the game......

I concur. It's quite obvious EJ is cold as ice in 1st and 3rd quarters and heats up in 2nd and 4th quarters which validates EJ's biggest red flag entering the draft..... Inconsistency. 2 good and 2 bad quarters equals an AVERAGE QB which is all EJ will ever be. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him taking us to the show.

Edited by nader

Absolutely.

I don't see us having a lead too much in the first three quarters vs. Chicago. But I think we can stay close and take off mid-way through the third quarter.

We need special teams to win their battles and the defense to force some punts and keep it close.

I have a hard time believing that a QB that finishes games better than he starts them is anything worthy of criticism. For all the crap EJ is taking I do not recall him losing any games late the way Fitz had a tendency to do. EJ was a cautious and injured rookie who played better late in close games.

Will not argue his stats look better in the 2nd & 4th qtrs. Although I attribute this more to Hackett trying to establish the run and throwing on obvious passing downs in the 1st & 3rd. Games tend to open up more in the 2nd & 4th qtrs as the demands of the game - ie score dictates what plays a team runs.

Edited by Dean Cain

I think EJ starts slow too. I was hoping the OP had analyzed his drives last year when I clicked.

This page has his stat splits:

http://espn.go.com/n...15803/ej-manuel

It looks like he's done best in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

The 4th quarter might not be a good comparison anyway because the other team is letting us have meaningless completions (say 3-5 yards when we're down by 14), or EJ is taking risks because we need to do that to get back in the game.

He also seems to do best indoors, on turf, Behind by 1-8 Points, with 2 wide receivers in, and when blitzed. . . .

Edited by Matt in KC

Everyone complaining about EJ is just ridiculous, he's 10 games into a professional career. I feel like most have either wanted Tuel or Lewis to start at one time or another and/or we pick up Rex Grossman, trade CJ for Hoyer or trade for Mallet. Crazy... Let him at least play a few games after his first full offseason as a number 1 in this league

I think EJ starts slow too. I was hoping the OP had analyzed his drives last year when I clicked.

This page has his stat splits:

http://espn.go.com/n...15803/ej-manuel

It looks like he's done best in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

The 4th quarter might not be a good comparison anyway because the other team is letting us have meaningless completions (say 3-5 yards when we're down by 14), or EJ is taking risks because we need to do that to get back in the game.

He also seems to do best indoors, on turf, Behind by 1-8 Points, with 2 wide receivers in, and when blitzed. . . .

The OP is lazy :thumbdown:

Edited by HOUSE

The OP is lazy :thumbdown:

Nothing personal. I just had reached the same conclusion before, that EJ was a slow starter, and also that he did better under pressure, even though I hadn't looked at any stats.

Today I looked, and saw some evidence to support my opinion in the stats.

I also thought he got better as the year went on, but did not see that in the stats:

- In September he completed 56.9% of his passes for a 6.59 yard/attempt average, with 5 TDs, 3 INTs

- In December he completed 59.6% of his passes for a 6.60 yard/attempt average, with 3 TDs, 5 INTs

Nothing personal. I just had reached the same conclusion before, that EJ was a slow starter, and also that he did better under pressure, even though I hadn't looked at any stats.

Today I looked, and saw some evidence to support my opinion in the stats.

I also thought he got better as the year went on, but did not see that in the stats:

- In September he completed 56.9% of his passes for a 6.59 yard/attempt average, with 5 TDs, 3 INTs

- In December he completed 59.6% of his passes for a 6.60 yard/attempt average, with 3 TDs, 5 INTs

Can call it cherry picking if you want but those December stats, 4 ints came in 1 very bad game so I don't think you are off about him getting better as the season went on.

Will not argue his stats look better in the 2nd & 4th qtrs. Although I attribute this more to Hackett trying to establish the run and throwing on obvious passing downs in the 1st & 3rd. Games tend to open up more in the 2nd & 4th qtrs as the demands of the game - ie score dictates what plays a team runs.

It's not the play calling when you see EJ throw his first few passes. They are almost always WTF moments.

As bowry4 pointed out, those old enough to watch Jim Kelly in his prime, will likely recall that he had a tendency to look rusty early in games....sometimes the players just have to "feel the game" to find their groove. Lost in all the "EJ sucks" hype, which gained so much momentum this off season, is that, in an albeit small sample size, he did play well in close finishing games.

I brought this up for a reason. He is slow to start, then removed from the game.

We may not have enough information to properly evaluate EJ Manuel this preseason

I think it is something he needs to over come House. Consider it his persoanl challenge. Coach Hackett doesnt want to

babysit plays till he "is feeling it ".

Throw it deep the first series. Goodwin then graham

Edited by 3rdand12

I have watched every game of his pro career and about 10 College games.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

The Bills plan to have him play a quarter of Madden before each game.

It seems clear that the 1st quarter has been an issue for him. I do think at times that is all on EJ, but the art of coaching is finding things that fit your guys. Hackett has to find a way of getting EJ into the groove early, at times he has prioritised establishing the run to the detriment of EJ Manuel.

Maybe he should adopt a pre-game warm-up ritual like Peyton Manning, who is on the field 2-3 hours before even any fans are allowed in the stadium, and runs the complete "route tree" with each of his receivers. So by the time the game actually starts, he's already thrown more passes than he typically would in an entire quarter. Sure seems to work for him! ;-)

GO BILLS!