Bills fans not even in the top 10? WTF

Guffalo

Amazing how bad we suck

Couldn't even crack the top 10

These lists are almost always ridiculous and made, for the most part, to generate attention and discussion.

Blatant problems with the list include:

Patriot* fans don't belong on a top 10 list. They were non-existent before the Marsha-Belicheat era. Let's see how they react to a period of sucking before we anoint them as great fans.

Steeler fans are too low here. From my experience they are probably second to Packer fans around the country, and actually there are likely more Steeler fans.

Ravens, Colts and Seahawks? Please.

Raider fans deserve a place on this list, despite their buffoonery

Obviously Bills and Chief fans belong in the top 5. .

Forbes has no idea how to do these things. Nor do they care, really.

Edited by The Dean

These lists are almost always ridiculous and made, for the most part, to generate attention and discussion.

Patriot* fans don't belong on a top 10 list. They were non-existent before the Marsha-Belicheat era. Let's see how they react to a period of sucking before we anoint them as great fans.

Steeler fans are too low here. From my experience they are probably second to Packer fans around the country, and actually there are likely more Steeler fans.

Forbes has become the Bleacher Report of business websites. Shallow popularity lists formatted for maximum advertising coverage.

It's a b.s. methodology. No Bills or Chiefs in the top 10 is absolutely ridiculous.

+1

put this article in the dumbass comment category.

I'm sick of the BS Forbes "news" this past week.

You can't base fans love & devotion to their team on a $ figure,

when Brady leaves ..... just wait and see how fast their fans jump ship.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I can respect the inclusion of Hawks fans as I have been witness to their loyalty as a 18 year Pacific Northwest resident. However, not including the Chiefs or Bills fans has made this a joke

I have no doubt Seahawks fans are terrific. But to make a list like this I think you have to have a national fan base. In other words, are there Seahawks bars all over the country? Do they show up in force for road games on the East Coast? If so, perhaps they belong. Because Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, Chiefs, Browns and Bills fans (I probably missed a fan base or two) seem to be everywhere. And this is in good times and in bad.

What would your criteria be? A few Raiders fans wear goofy outfits so they should be higher? You see people outside of Pittsburgh with Steelers jerseys, so they should be higher? How would you quantify all this?

NE has sold out their stadium since 1994 (including preseason games). They sold out the stadium when they were 6-10, 8-8, 5-11. That was for 7 years before they knew who Brady was..

Ravens fanbase is pretty awesome actually. Game in that stadium is pretty cool, i have been there every time the Bills have played and it is just a great experience. I think after what they went through, they will always to loyal and very thenkful to have a team.

And i agree on the Raiders fans...prolly more of them nationwide than other other team....and Bills, Raiders and Brown fans have had a tough row to hoe the last 10-15 years...and all are loyal as they come.

We all know the Pats fan will be disguised as empty seats the moment the Belichek retires

Edited by plenzmd1

What would your criteria be? A few Raiders fans wear goofy outfits so they should be higher? You see people outside of Pittsburgh with Steelers jerseys, so they should be higher? How would you quantify all this?

NE has sold out their stadium since 1994 (including preseason games). They sold out the stadium when they were 6-10, 8-8, 5-11. That was for 7 years before they knew who Brady was..

They had the lowest attendance level in the NFL in 1994 and hold the record for consecutive blackouts at 17 games

They had the lowest attendance level in the NFL in 1994 and hold the record for consecutive blackouts at 17 games

The streak started in '94. No blackouts since. Years before Brady/Bellichick--in fact, it started after change in ownership...

Edited by Mr. WEO

My methodology is strictly qualitative on this one. I live in Boston during the lean years. More people identified themselves as NY Giants fans rather than Pats* fans. And is speaking with sports bar folks all over the country, they confirmed there were few, if any, Pats* fans there to watch on Sunday. Now of course, they are everywhere. Boston has a lot of people spread all over the country. Sox fan are out, win or lose. But until I see these Pats* fans (since 2001!) after a few years of losing, I remain skeptical.

Again, I don't put much stock in how the team sells out, except for when you have a very good team and can't sell your seats. But a good team typically sells out and sells a lot of merch. Show me a team that has sucked for a few years and then we'll look at the shape of the fan base. Do Bills fans still crowd the North Star in SF and McFaddens in NYC every year? (There are more examples, these are just two) Admittedly, the crowd dwindles near the end of the year if the team isn't competitive, but next year they will be back.

Forbes is the kind of rag that rewards recent success--the worst of the bandwagon jumpers. You strike me as the same.

Ravens fanbase is pretty awesome actually. Game in that stadium is pretty cool, i have been there every time the Bills have played and it is just a great experience. I think after what they went through, they will always to loyal and very thenkful to have a team.

And i agree on the Raiders fans...prolly more of them nationwide than other other team....and Bills, Raiders and Brown fans have had a tough row to hoe the last 10-15 years...and all are loyal as they come.

We all know the Pats fan will be disguised as empty seats the moment the Belichek retires

Perhaps the Ravens have some great fans. Bmore is a pretty good sports town. But the Ravens have been quite good for a few years. When they go through a long drought, if I see Ravens fans at bars in SF, LA, Florida, etc, then I will agree they deserve top 10 status.

Edited by The Dean

My methodology is strictly qualitative on this one. I live in Boston during the lean years. More people identified themselves as NY Giants fans rather than Pats* fans. And is speaking with sports bar folks all over the country, they confirmed there were few, if any, Pats* fans there to watch on Sunday. Now of course, they are everywhere. Boston has a lot of people spread all over the country. Sox fan are out, win or lose. But until I see these Pats* fans (since 2001!) after a few years of losing, I remain skeptical.

Again, I don't put much stock in how the team sells out, except for when you have a very good team and can't sell your seats. But a good team typically sells out and sells a lot of merch. Show me a team that has sucked for a few years and then we'll look at the shape of the fan base. Do Bills fans still crowd the North Star in SF and McFaddens in NYC every year? (There are more examples, these are just two) Admittedly, the crowd dwindles near the end of the year if the team isn't competitive, but next year they will be back.

I've already shown you that the pats streak began when Kraft bought the team. Had nothing to do with Brady. And the streak continued when they sucked. How is that bandwagon?

Also, "qualitatively" I would say that 90% of the "Raiders fans" rocking Raiders gear outside of Oakland have never watched more than a game a year. They are wearing it as a fashion statement--like most Yankees or Red Sox "fans" do.

that sounds about right.... but as for the current ranking, really do not know how you keep cleveland and KC out of any mix of the "best fans" .. buffalo and cleveland are mirror images of each other in history, loyalty and success(or lack of).. having new england in there just destroys the cred of the whole thing..

i find seattle fans absolutely insufferable. i've never actually met one, and i'm sure they're perfectly pleasant people to talk to, but i can't deal with all the hype they get.

i'm tired of them measuring how loud they are, i'm tired of them equating the noise level to that of earthquakes or a fleet of jets or a nuclear explosion, i'm tired of them hoisting that silly 12th man flag and performing over the top gesticulations to prove how into the game they are. it's lame and corny. also, i'm sick of pete carroll dancing around like some over-caffeinated middle schooler and chest bumping players. i know this isn't directly tied to seattle because he performed the same circus routine at his previous coaching stops. still, him prancing around the sidelines like a ninny paired with the fans screaming during some insignificant part of the game to break a dumb noise record really annoys me. the only thing that makes it worse is when that tool al michaels is waxing poetic on what a spectacle it all is.

i'm not sure why it annoys me so much. maybe because i think they're trying too hard? maybe because they're winners and bills suck? maybe because i'm just a curmudgeonly hater? i dunno.

I dont think you could really measure a fanbase until/unless you see the team at or near the bottom for multiple seasons, and you need to take that into account. The whole curve of team performance vs fan support.

Edited by May Day 10

Let's see, Pat's fans pay highest prices in NFL I think. Have sold out everyday home game since 1994!

Bills have not sold out every home game in the last 10 years! NE has a waiting list of over 50k. Bills have no waiting list! Brady and BB did not come until 2000 but games sold out from 1994. What the NE fans needed was good ownership which the got 1994 when Kraft bought the team. This is why the Bills need a good owner to buy the team!

This sums up this entire thread.

somewhat. i've actually met plenty of patriot fans since i lived in boston for several years, and can 100% confirm they are absolutely insufferable. doesn't mean they don't pack the stadium, just that they're obnoxious.

somewhat. i've actually met plenty of patriot fans since i lived in boston for several years, and can 100% confirm they are absolutely insufferable. doesn't mean they don't pack the stadium, just that they're obnoxious.

I think most fans would think that of pats, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, even NYG fans. That's the way it goes.

Forbes just hates us right now because our sale of the team is a "circus"

I think we have proven during the course of the Bills sale that we should be ranked #1

CBF

obviously if we were consistent winners we would be number 1, hands down..the media culture is just one big bandwagon jumper..

Forbes obviously doesn’t know how to party!!!

The streak started in '94. No blackouts since. Years before Brady/Bellichick--in fact, it started after change in ownership...

I've already shown you that the pats streak began when Kraft bought the team. Had nothing to do with Brady. And the streak continued when they sucked. How is that bandwagon?

Also, "qualitatively" I would say that 90% of the "Raiders fans" rocking Raiders gear outside of Oakland have never watched more than a game a year. They are wearing it as a fashion statement--like most Yankees or Red Sox "fans" do.

Let's see, Pat's fans pay highest prices in NFL I think. Have sold out everyday home game since 1994!

Bills have not sold out every home game in the last 10 years! NE has a waiting list of over 50k. Bills have no waiting list! Brady and BB did not come until 2000 but games sold out from 1994. What the NE fans needed was good ownership which the got 1994 when Kraft bought the team. This is why the Bills need a good owner to buy the team!

Mods, I’m expecting lots of warning points against these 2. Defending the Pats* or their fans* is not allowed on this site!!!! :w00t:

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection

It's a b.s. methodology. No Bills or Chiefs in the top 10 is absolutely ridiculous.

I am certain their methodology is junk - you'll notice all the top teams were front-runners with top QB's - and their methodology was designed to identify casual fans.

Hardly shocking that current front-runners have the most total fans/population.

Edited by BobChalmers

I like how the Steelers are tied for 7th when they ranked 22nd in people who - you know - ACTUALLY SHOW UP TO GAMES.

For a start, you got to throw out merchandise. Tons of people out there buy Cowboys' gear, doesn't mean they're a real fan of the team. And deciding just what qualifies a "real" fan is debatable anyway.

Also, how is that a "full list" when they only show the top ten? Where's the rest?

Article is written by a guy who is from Wisconsin and was the beat writer in Denver...now writes for Yahoo!

Let's guess who is 1 & 2?! Lol

https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?sessionid=7763479763091456&as=false&can=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.linkedin.com%252Fpub%252Ffrank-schwab%252F5%252F20a%252F860&rs=false#public-profile/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fpub%2Ffrank-schwab%2F5%2F20a%2F860

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I think most fans would think that of pats, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, even NYG fans. That's the way it goes.

i'm not disputing that people hate certain team's fans solely out of jealousy, but it's not always the case. the packers are way better than us and i like them and their fans. same goes for the 49'ers, colts, saints, chiefs, denver, etc. i'm sure rivalries play a role in what teams people hate.

in my experience though, the pats and their fans seem to generate near universal disdain. when i lived in l.a., fans of random teams outside of the afc east (or the afc in general) pretty much all despised them. packer fans hated them, bears fans hated, charger fans hated them, browns fans hated them. it's the one thing we could all agree on.

sure, some of it comes out of jealousy, but some comes out of how they behave: entitled, arrogant, obnoxious (both the team and fans). people i know who are pat fans never fail to rip the bills, make fun of them, laugh at them. they go out of their way to make it clear that their team is superior to yours every chance they get. during the draft, i still get random texts from pats fans i haven't talked to in years reminding me how we suck. they can't help themselves.

and keep in mind, it's not like i'm some blind cheerleader for the bills. i admit they suck, that they've been irrelevant for over a decade. i don't prattle on about spygate or think that super bowl the pats won isn't legit. i readily admit belichick is great and brady is the best ever. still, the pat fans i've encounted can't help being jerks. they need to let you know that they're better than you. it's just their nature.

again, though, that doesn't mean they aren't a good fanbase. philly fans are garbage, but they show up for their team, too.

i dunno. maybe we were jerks like that back when the bills were good. i don't remember anymore. too long ago.

So your sole criterion for a good fan base is sellouts? Really?

First of all, Boston's metro population (let's leave the DMA out of this for the time being) is now over 4 million people (in 1990 it was just under that). That alone should be reason enough to sell out a football game even if the team sucked. But that's not all. Foxborough is less than 30 minutes from Providence (The Patriots* are New England's team, after all) and that adds 1.5 million more people to the mix. Counting the suburbs, let's say anyone within a 30 minute drive to the stadium, and we're talking about 7 million or so people in the area. So how impressive is it they manage to sell out a stadium that has less than a 70.000 person capacity?

Next you have a change of ownership in 1994. Typically an ownership change (or a new stadium) boosts interest in a team. Let's take a look at the Pats* record in the few years following the ownership change until they started their Super Bowl run:

1994 10-6

1995 6-10

1996 11-6 and went to the SB

1997 10-6

1998 9-7

1999 8-8

2000 5-11

Where exactly is the extended time the team sucked during that time frame? A winning year typically buys you interest for the next year. They didn't have two losing seasons in a row during that time frame.

So, in a stadium equidistant between two markets each far bigger than Buffalo, the Patriots got a new owner, won consistently, went to a SB and didn't have two consecutive losing seasons. Color me unimpressed with their sellout streak.

Edited by The Dean