Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

Doesn't make sense how a guy can smoke pot and miss a whole year and Rice gets two games for punching his then fiance/now wife. To be honest, I don't really care that charges will be dismissed and that they worked it out and are now married he should get at least 4-6 games the entire season if not more.

I would be cool with a one year suspension for the first offense and a ban from the league if it happens again. I think this is the new domestic violence law Goodell instated, and now he should go back and give Rice a full year suspension if he had any gonads.

Edited by LoyalToTheEnd

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it this way. You can get jail time for being negligent in an accident. If you're at all aware of your surroundings, you know that you could damn near kill someone if they hit their head on a rail in a small space like an elevator.

This was not criminal negligence, but intent, magnified and made worse by the surroundings. The guy should be in jail and is lucky his wife isn't brain-damaged. This is pretty indisputable unless you somehow believe this video is edited, and even then that's a major stretch.

I understand where you're coming from, but real justice should be coming from a court of law. As is often the case with domestic violence, they are not at all holding up their responsibilities here.

Rich people are immune to the law, most of the time.

Domestic violence is a serious issue in this country. What we see in that video takes place on a regular basis in certain percentage of relationships. Actually engaging in the type of physical violence we see in that video is not "crossing a fine line," it is a fu#@ing quantum leap. There is never a context that justifies that type of behavior from a man. Goodell didn't need this video (although I will never be convinced he didn't see it or at least know of its existence) to set the standard of punishment for NFL players who engage in this type of behavior - it was obvious to everyone familiar with the facts what happened in that elevator. However, now that the video is out, as far as I am concerned, two things should happen: 1) Rice should be banned from the NFL and 2) Goodell should step down. The actions of both were reprehensible.

Doesn't make sense how a guy can smoke pot and miss a whole year and Rice gets two games for punching his then fiance/now wife. To be honest, I don't really care that charges will be dismissed and that they worked it out and are now married he should get at least 4-6 games.

Please stop with the "guy can smoke pot." That's a false representation , and means nothing. Gordon failed numerous drug tests and got warnings. Weeks after his latest failed test, he got a DUI. Then he got a year suspension.

I would be cool with a one year suspension for the first offense and a ban from the league if it happens again. I think this is the new domestic violence law Goodell instated, and now he should go back and give Rice a full year suspension if he had any gonads.

I would be cool with him never wearing an NFL uniform again. Most employers would fire you on the spot if they had video evidence of you doing something that was illegal and/or made the company look bad. No second chances. He plays a child's game for ridiculous money. He can go away now. And if Goodell saw the video before he handed down the suspension then he can go away too.

Anyone going to tell me if a public official , politician, were to have such a video of he or she punching and knocking out companion demands they step down immediately and full force of law not be applied, it appalling the hand wringing about this. To hell with the six games , season , he deserves to be gone and now. Sponsors , media those who make their monies and support the game through it need step up and refuse to be part of cult of enablers

I guess I'm one of the naive ones, because I did not expect to see what I saw in that video. I knew she was knocked out but I just didn't expect a full left cross to the jaw. Rice is a craptastic human being. If Goodell saw this video before administering the "punishment" he should just step down. What a disgrace.

As for Rice himself -- how does a teammate see that and then want to "go to war" with this guy? I would not at all be surprised to see the Ravens cut bait within the next week.

In boxing circles, a Left is a Hook and a Right is a cross. But I digress.. I agree with the poster(s) who say 'What did you expect happened?', and wonder the same thing from the League office..

so the nfl is claiming it didn't have the video? If the police investigated they would have full access to the video and all the nfl had to do would file for a freedom of info request and should get the video.

I guess TMZ has more clout than does the NFL. :rolleyes:

So which is it, NFL. You did or didn't have access to the video that TMZ got?

What I want to know is ..... did Godell make his decision without looking at all the evidence or did he look at the evidence yet still decided to brush such a vial and disgusting act aside with nary a slap on the wrist?

Godell and his league look incompetent and bad in either instance.

Rice should be terminated as should Godell.

https://twitter.com/WillMcAvoyACN

NFL's official store is currently selling this pink, rhinestone accented Ray Rice v-neck. http://www.nflshop.com/Ray_Rice_Gear/Ray_Rice_Baltimore_Ravens_Womens_Draft_Him_Shimmer_V-Neck_T-Shirt_-_Pink … #hypocrites

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxBLMioCMAAEdvs.jpg

I guess TMZ has more clout than does the NFL. :rolleyes:

So which is it, NFL. You did or didn't have access to the video that TMZ got?

What I want to know is ..... did Godell make his decision without looking at all the evidence or did he look at the evidence yet still decided to brush such a vial and disgusting act aside with nary a slap on the wrist?

Godell and his league look incompetent and bad in either instance.

Rice should be terminated as should Godell.

what goodell did was look at the last decade of punishment, and hand out a punishment in line with what the offense has previously gotten on a consistent basis. he then said this will no longer be the standard that we use.

it may now be the strictest policy on the books. is anything else mandatory 6 games first offense, and very rare have i ever heard the words lifetime ban used by the nfl?

what goodell did was look at the last decade of punishment, and hand out a punishment in line with what the offense has previously gotten on a consistent basis. he then said this will no longer be the standard that we use.

it may now be the strictest policy on the books. is anything else mandatory 6 games first offense, and very rare have i ever heard the words lifetime ban used by the nfl?

I call it plausible deniability. This is not going to end up well for Godell and the league.

It's not even a mandatory 6 game suspension.

From Goodell's letter:

Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.

Which really means "Six games is the starting point, but if we decide she really had it coming we can lower it." It was a wishy-washy statement that meant nothing to get people to stop complaining about the suspension by making it seem like they were doing something. Based on this, the NFL could hand out another 2 games for the next first offense and still be following their Personal Conduct Policy.

Edited by Pondslider

the commish handed down his suspension. I don't think the league office will do anything more.

But the Ravens should add more games to the suspension, remove all Ray Rice jerseys from the shelfs and issue a public statement on way this action should never be allowed in their organization.

Like Today.

Piece of schitt needs to be banned for life. Period. No due process. No appeals. Just schittcan him immediately.

You'd be surprised how unpopular this position is on this site. I agree 100% with you, however.

The NFL should ban him for life and the players' union should back the decision up without blinking an eye.

(The new owner of the Bills should also remove Simpson's name from the wall)

You'd be surprised how unpopular this position is on this site. I agree 100% with you, however.

The NFL should ban him for life and the players' union should back the decision up without blinking an eye.

Funny how Goodell gets all the blame, isn't it? Why doesn't the Ravens org do anything? Why doesn't the legal system do anything? It's all on Goodell, a guy who's wrapped in red tape, faces constant allegations of misusing his power, and who can't make a move without the NFLPA. The legal system and the Ravens have none of those impediments. This is getting ridiculous.

I'd also like to reiterate that all this false outrage is again, false outrage. We all knew what happened. We still watched the games. Then, the video comes out after everyone has relaxed over the issue, and suddenly he needs to be cut. You knew he punched out his wife a month ago, and you were fine. Just because video evidence has come out and is disgusting shouldn't start this all up again. The fact that the big story is, "did the NFL see the tape?!?" is a testament to how stupid and illogical everyone involved in this story is. So what if we see what HE ADMITTED to doing? It changes nothing, yet the moral outrage crowd takes to Twitter and Facebook to make phony comments. And here we are.

Funny how Goodell gets all the blame, isn't it? Why doesn't the Ravens org do anything? Why doesn't the legal system do anything? It's all on Goodell, a guy who's wrapped in red tape, faces constant allegations of misusing his power, and who can't make a move without the NFLPA. The legal system and the Ravens have none of those impediments. This is getting ridiculous.

Well, Godell is the judge, juror and executioner on all NFL matters ...........

I'm sure the Ravens, as well as the legal system, are feeling the pressure too, in other more appropriate forums. If not now, almost certainly once the **** hits the fan, as more and more people witness the contents of this video.

I made a thread about the OJ event, it just needs to happen.

Funny how Goodell gets all the blame, isn't it? Why doesn't the Ravens org do anything? Why doesn't the legal system do anything? It's all on Goodell, a guy who's wrapped in red tape, faces constant allegations of misusing his power, and who can't make a move without the NFLPA. The legal system and the Ravens have none of those impediments. This is getting ridiculous.I'd also like to reiterate that all this false outrage is again, false outrage. We all knew what happened. We still watched the games. Then, the video comes out after everyone has relaxed over the issue, and suddenly he needs to be cut. You knew he punched out his wife a month ago, and you were fine. Just because video evidence has come out and is disgusting shouldn't start this all up again. The fact that the big story is, "did the NFL see the tape?!?" is a testament to how stupid and illogical everyone involved in this story is. So what if we see what HE ADMITTED to doing? It changes nothing, yet the moral outrage crowd takes to Twitter and Facebook to make phony comments. And here we are.

This is too sane for the internet. Thank you.

If I'm not mistaken, since there was nothing in the rules for domestic abuse he couldn't just throw the hammer down. ESPECIALLY since the wife refused to press charges. They end up getting married. She blames herself. But Goodell should disregard that and ban him for a season? Please.

I think he's a scum bag. I'm glad there is a policy now. This is more on the Ravens.

Why no calls for their owner to step the hell down or sell the team for keeping him!? I'm talking to you Olbermann.

Edited by Big Blitz

This goes beyond the 2 game suspension outrage. Why in the world was this video held back from the public? Was someone in the judicial system doing this to protect the NFL and Ray Rice's image? Seems there might be people in position of power that need to lose their jobs here...possibly the prosecutors, Goodell and Harbaugh.

When it's a Johnny nobody slug punching a woman in public then the video is shown all over the place on the news. Something's not right here.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'd also like to reiterate that all this false outrage is again, false outrage. We all knew what happened. We still watched the games. Then, the video comes out after everyone has relaxed over the issue, and suddenly he needs to be cut. You knew he punched out his wife a month ago, and you were fine. Just because video evidence has come out and is disgusting shouldn't start this all up again. The fact that the big story is, "did the NFL see the tape?!?" is a testament to how stupid and illogical everyone involved in this story is. So what if we see what HE ADMITTED to doing? It changes nothing, yet the moral outrage crowd takes to Twitter and Facebook to make phony comments. And here we are.

I'm not sure what your point is here. There were people defending Rice and saying, "Nobody really knows what happened in that elevator." However, the vast majority of us did know what happened, based on the facts, and were never "fine" with it. The video is now out and should "start this all up again" for a number of reasons: 1) It gives visual evidence to just how brutal the behavior was, 2) Unfortunately, when it comes to domestic violence, there are a number of people who just don't want to believe without evidence such as this, and 3) the league is saying it didn't know about the tape when the punishment was decided.

False outrage? Are you kidding me. The vast majority of us were outraged when it happened, outraged at the level of punishment, and continue to be outraged that there was apparently visual evidence available the entire time.

The outrage is genuine - as it should be.

I can only speak for myself ... I was outraged before the news of any new video came out. I was outraged at the NFL's ridiculous 2-game suspension, as well as the Ravens doing nothing in addition. I called for a lifetime ban the day his admission came out.

Is my outrage enough to not watch the NFL? Nope.

Honestly, I feel a little dirty watching the NFL after the way they mishandled this situation. Again, it's not enough to get me to stop watching.

I guess, while the idea of this guy doing what he did makes my stomach turn, it doesn't hit close enough to home to make me want to protest the organization that will go back to making him a millionaire next week.

I'm trying to figure out (guess) how I'd react if Ray Rice was on the Bills and they handled it like the Ravens have. I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Just asking.....how come everyone is so pissed off at Roger Goodell yet no one seems to have a problem with the slap on the wrist issued by the local District Attorney??

I'm not certain of the rule of law (someone on here probably is), but it was my understanding his wife didn't press charges, thus the DA couldn't do anything more a slap on the wrist. What else can be done if the victim isn't willing to press charges?

As for the NFL, this looks bad for Roger no matter how you slice it. I've been wondering when the video would come out and am glad to see it's re-ignited the outrage as it's more than deserved. The NFL got this wrong but I'd love to see Baltimore cut bait before the NFL can rule just to make a statement.

Rice's NFL decision needs to revisited... That was an ugly video and it the decision should be revisited... I remember before the interwebs when OJ was charged with domestic violence and said it was just a spat and then years later on trial, it was revealed at the earlier time he beat her bad. Welcome to the club Mr. Rice, you're now branded, as you should be.

Can the NFL retroactively modify his suspension in light of new video evidence?

If not, I imagine the Ravens will hand out their own suspension

IF they never saw the video before (which I doubt) and IF Rice told them he never punched her, then according to the NFLPA they can modify it. Public pressure might be enough to get it done though, the NFL will protect its brand before it protects Rice.

IF they never saw the video before (which I doubt) and IF Rice told them he never punched her, then according to the NFLPA they can modify it. Public pressure might be enough to get it done though, the NFL will protect its brand before it protects Rice.

i dont get how he would explain the gap from her being upright to being dragged off the elevator out cold without admitting to a punch. im not sure what people were filling in the gap with if they didnt think he gave her a pretty good shot.

i dont get how he would explain the gap from her being upright to being dragged off the elevator out cold without admitting to a punch. im not sure what people were filling in the gap with if they didnt think he gave her a pretty good shot.

I'm not sure either to be honest. The only thing I can think of is he admitted to open palm slapping her rather than a closed fist punch. I also don't know if he even made that distinction to Roger, but the rumor is he claimed he never punched her which would allow them to modify the ruling. But it's speculative, I'm certain.