Kiko Alonso tears ACL, then runs a marathon on way to get treatment.

boyst

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, right now the replacement has to be on the roster because the UFA field is very thin. They'll probably be scouring the waiver wire over the summer, but this is where the depth is key to winning programs. What's Bryan Scott up to these days?

If there was ever a thought of Bills still running a modified 3-4, that talk is now totally done.

I don't think they need to sign a LB unless a really good one comes available during cuts. They could, however, benefit from signing a pass rusher to rotate with Hughes at DE (Babin would be an example) and then play Lawson at OLB.

I would say the reason for the thin UFA field is that it is such a refined position with so few effective players available. Running Backs are a diamond dozen. the Cornerback position may be a little top heavy but there's always a vet or two out there to fill in, same goes for WR, interior O-Line and safety. OLB is one of those positions that requires such a high degree of speed, size and skill that its nearly impossible to replace this late into the offseason.

Whereas good linebackers are a dime in the rough.

Best LB we've had since Takeo, and was his rookie season. Played arguably the least conducive LB position for his skills....

Hopefully he comes back next year and proves you wrong...

Opinions... I agree, his catchy name makes it nice!!

i don't think he's saying he's not good.

Some people here need to get off the idea that he thinks Kiko sucks. There's a difference between thinking someone sucks and being over rated by fans. I mean c'mon, this kid had a few (a few, not just 2) games with ints, and a game with 22 tackles and people starting the printshop for shirts for him. Holy jeez, calm down a little people.

Kiko is good, he's just not as amazing as some want to think at least not yet. It's true he fizzled down the stretch last year.

And FYI to everyone, if anyone thinks that Spikes isn't our best LB right now, they need to watch more football.

Very interesting....

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 6m

Something to consider: if Bills place Alonso on non-football injury list, he won’t earn an accrued season. Will be RFA after 2016, not UFA.

At the cost of pissing the guy off significantly. Also, if he were injured whilst following a team-directed workout plan - sketchy. Very sketchy.

That's not how you grow a class organization that people engage and commit to, so I hope if it's in someone's mind, Whaley is ready and able to put the kibosh on it

Say what you will about this defense as compared to last but opening week we will be devoid of Dareus (most likely), Alonso and Byrd and the very least.

I don't want to be TOO confident but following the Dareus story I actually think it is very unlikely he is suspended this season unless the Bills do it on their own. His case in Bama will not be resolved until December at the earliest and Goodell won't do anything until it is. It could also be dismissed as a result of the intervention program he has entered into. His case in Hamburg is going to be a traffic ticket in the end. This is all assuming he keeps his nose clean from here on out.

i keep refreshing this thread and twitter in hopes that it's not as bad as they thought. anyone know when they will know for sure?

Probably today...it's very infrequent that it's not as bad as they think.

At the cost of pissing the guy off significantly. Also, if he were injured whilst following a team-directed workout plan - sketchy. Very sketchy.

That's not how you grow a class organization that people engage and commit to, so I hope if it's in someone's mind, Whaley is ready and able to put the kibosh on it

Meh...they just did this with Hairston; it's relatively common and I don't think they'll upset him greatly. Plus, if the new, proactive approach to re-signing guys early tells you anything it won't even come into play.

Trying to look on the bright side...we all know injuries occur, but if there is any "preferable" time for something like this to happen, it's now. Schwartz still has a couple of weeks to prep for training camp, and they'll be able to have everything figured out, scheme and personnel-wise, long before the regular season opener.

Much worse scenario for an injury like this to occur in the middle of the season.

#TheLegendOfPrestonBrown

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or... serious? :huh:

Completely serious. Teams make huge investments in players. Now, before camp even opens, the guy is unavailable for the season. If that could be avoided, why wouldn't you be for that?

Why shouldn't players work all season (allowing for a few weeks off during the winter to recover)? What's the best argument you can come up with as to why it's a bad idea?

Plenty of athletes get injured while "in shape", and plenty of athletes get injured working out. Note again, the report is that Kiko tore his ACL working out.

That was my point--too much time off before cranking it up leads to injury. We see it every offseason in the NFL.

And getting injured while in game shape (i.e., in season) is the opposite of what I am talking about. Not all injuries can be avoided, but I believe their likelihood certainly can be reduced. It's common sense.

Who's next??

I'm guessing Merriman.

Unbelievable. It's never the backup safety or one of our no-name tight ends. One of the best players on the team. Unbelievable.

Actually those happen too, but few people care.