Kiko Alonso tears ACL, then runs a marathon on way to get treatment.

boyst

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you will about this defense as compared to last but opening week we will be devoid of Dareus (most likely), Alonso and Byrd and the very least.

To be fair, Bills didn't have Byrd in the opener last year, and Dareus didn't have a great game. Alonso was out of mind though.

I know a lot of this is said in jest but somewhat true also. One thing Kiko brought to the table that will be missed is that the guy made big plays in crucial moments, that will be missed.

Side note: I've now owned 2 Bills LB jerseys - Kiko and Sam Cowart. I think I'll abstain from buying anymore jerseys from current Bills players. I'll wait until they retire from now on.

No Jim Kelly jersey for you, okay? He just got better.

I'll be interested to see what kind of personality and attitude the defense has this season without Kiko. He seemed to not only have high energy and bad intentions personally, but those traits seemed to bleed I to the rest of the defense as well. I wonder how much was him.

Edited by BarleyNY

Unfortunately, right now the replacement has to be on the roster because the UFA field is very thin. They'll probably be scouring the waiver wire over the summer, but this is where the depth is key to winning programs. What's Bryan Scott up to these days?

If there was ever a thought of Bills still running a modified 3-4, that talk is now totally done.

I would say the reason for the thin UFA field is that it is such a refined position with so few effective players available. Running Backs are a diamond dozen. the Cornerback position may be a little top heavy but there's always a vet or two out there to fill in, same goes for WR, interior O-Line and safety. OLB is one of those positions that requires such a high degree of speed, size and skill that its nearly impossible to replace this late into the offseason.

Awful news. He has to be devastated. Not sure it makes a difference in the W-L record like a QB or LT or CB1 would but he is a great player and whoever replaces him will most certainly be notch below him. He was on the field for 100% of the Bills defensive snaps last year so you can't minimize the loss. Kiko played 1,145 snaps last year. Spikes, Rivers, Bradham combined: 1,389. Kiko s their only three-down guy. To be fair, there aren't a ton of every down LBs in the entire league. Most teams sub guys in and out the whole game.

I actually think the depth at LB is fairly good. Preston Brown, Nigel Bradham, Keith Rivers and Brandon Spikes should be able to handle the 3 LB positions. In a pinch I think they could move Manny Lawson to SLB. I also think they'll be in nickel quite a bit, so you'll see 2 LB's more than 3.

Injuries happen, sucks it had to happen in the off season, but it's part of the game (usually during the season).

Oh well, get well soon Kiko.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

im with you bud. While I like Kiko a lot, I agree with your points. Nothing can be said to refute. It's all true.

Except the PED thing. All speculative.

"A couple of really good games" is a ridiculous statement. Even in some of his rougher outings the kid made some game-changing plays. The only way this doesn't suck to the max is if the bills' attempts to really create depth pan out.

We haven't even made it to the first whistle of training camp and already I'm looking forward to the off-season next year. wow, that happened fast. I've never in my entire life witnessed the level of disastrous misfortune that this franchise continues to have. Is it just one player, yes, but it's not about the one player, it's about a team never catching a break, ever. Not for one second. We have to bit our nails and hope someone doesn't steal the team away from us year after year, and that even goes back to when saint ralph used to threaten to move the team. This news makes me want to puke. Heroin has to be 50 times easier to quit than trying to walk away from this team.

He's a PED suspension waiting to happen.

He overpursues consistently.

He is undisciplined and all over the field.

He was a starter on a monumentally horrid defense.

He had 2 good games ... all season ... and people want him in Canton.

This is not a big deal.

I think you were overlooking the fact he was a rookie.....not sure why you're so down on him.

He's a PED suspension waiting to happen.

He overpursues consistently.

He is undisciplined and all over the field.

He was a starter on a monumentally horrid defense.

He had 2 good games ... all season ... and people want him in Canton.

This is not a big deal.

this is a joke, right?

We all know this suuuuuuuucks, but it's not the end of our season. The modern game doesnt revolve around 1 (of 3 or 4) LB positions, and neither does our defense. Sure, losing such a talented player is a blow to the D, but we actually have a little bit of depth to work with there.

Dont jump off those ledges just yet.

Get well, Kiko.

Frustration and disappointment are trademarks of being a Bills fan. However, putting a bit of perspective on this- the upcoming season has been and remains in the ability of EJ to develop. As EJ goes, so does the Bills.

Nick Barnett is a free agent? Previous Bill, played at a high level. Just sayin. Man we will miss Kiko this year. That injury puts us thin at OLB, Bradham, Preston Brown, Jimmy Gaines ?, Randell Johnson?, Darrin Kitchens?, Ty Powell?, Keith Rivers, Spikes, Nathan Williams?, Lawson... Thats a whole lot of nothing if spikes, lawson or rivers are god forbid injured during the season. Cursed. Just plain Cursed.

Thank you!! Dude is a beast...Kiko and Randell are cut from the same cloth.

I would say the reason for the thin UFA field is that it is such a refined position with so few effective players available. Running Backs are a diamond dozen. the Cornerback position may be a little top heavy but there's always a vet or two out there to fill in, same goes for WR, interior O-Line and safety. OLB is one of those positions that requires such a high degree of speed, size and skill that its nearly impossible to replace this late into the offseason.

I just hope the Bills don't use this injury as an escape goat once the season goes off the rails.