Kiko Alonso tears ACL, then runs a marathon on way to get treatment.

boyst

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful news. He has to be devastated. Not sure it makes a difference in the W-L record like a QB or LT or CB1 would but he is a great player and whoever replaces him will most certainly be notch below him. He was on the field for 100% of the Bills defensive snaps last year so you can't minimize the loss. Kiko played 1,145 snaps last year. Spikes, Rivers, Bradham combined: 1,389. Kiko s their only three-down guy. To be fair, there aren't a ton of every down LBs in the entire league. Most teams sub guys in and out the whole game.

Interesting take from PFT - but I can't see Whaley choosing to screw him out of his salary regardless of what he was doing when he got hurt.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 3m

Bills could stiff Kiko Alonso, in theory; if he was really working out, it wouldn't be wise to do it http://wp.me/p14QSB-9vN2

Bummer. Get well Kiko. Next man up.

Yep.

Buffalo #Bills LB Kiko Alonso Tears ACL. Which LB Will Step Into The WLB Role? http://billsmafia.co...s-lbs/ … via @TheBillsMafia

Edited by YoloinOhio

He's a PED suspension waiting to happen.

He overpursues consistently.

He is undisciplined and all over the field.

He was a starter on a monumentally horrid defense.

He had 2 good games ... all season ... and people want him in Canton.

This is not a big deal.

I know a lot of this is said in jest but somewhat true also. One thing Kiko brought to the table that will be missed is that the guy made big plays in crucial moments, that will be missed.

Side note: I've now owned 2 Bills LB jerseys - Kiko and Sam Cowart. I think I'll abstain from buying anymore jerseys from current Bills players. I'll wait until they retire from now on.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Very sorry to hear this - Kiko is a rising star in this league. But have faith, Bills fans. As some of you know, my cousin works in SD's FO. Last year was his first year there and something similar happened with OLB Melvin Ingram. It was his 2nd year after a very promising rookie season, and he tore his ACL in OTAs. It was a crushing blow at the time, but they were able to make the playoffs after years of not having been there. They had also lost their #1 WR, Malcolm Floyd, in TC for the season and rookie Keenan Allen stepped up. The games typically don't swing on a OLB. Someone will step up in Kiko's place and the good thing is he did it now when the coaching staff will be able to have all of TC to prepare. Had this happened in preseason it would be much more impactful in terms of being ready to play without him.

Don't forget there will be guys cut during TC who are always surprising, the Bills can pick up a good player still if needed. I like their depth though, a lot.

I look at it this way. Bad things happen in threes:

1) Ralph Wilson dies (RIP)

2) Jim Kelly gets cancer

3) Kiko gets injured

The Bills should be good to go now. It's the only way I can look at this off season and still maintain any sense of optimism.

Really?? Seriously?? A death. Cancer. And a torn ligament??????

Nick Barnett is a free agent? Previous Bill, played at a high level. Just sayin. Man we will miss Kiko this year. That injury puts us thin at OLB, Bradham, Preston Brown, Jimmy Gaines ?, Randell Johnson?, Darrin Kitchens?, Ty Powell?, Keith Rivers, Spikes, Nathan Williams?, Lawson... Thats a whole lot of nothing if spikes, lawson or rivers are god forbid injured during the season. Cursed. Just plain Cursed.

im with you bud. While I like Kiko a lot, I agree with your points. Nothing can be said to refute. It's all true.

Except the PED thing. All speculative.

The PED thing was to get a rise ... I do that sometimes :-)

In all honesty (really) my feelings on Kiko are simple:

I think he gave Bills fans hope via a couple spectacular performances and some eye/ear-catching post-game interviews.

I think he made normal rookie mistakes, but I also believe he did not show progress in correcting those mistakes throughout the season.

I am not a firm believer in using number of tackles as a tool to determine effectiveness. Way too vague.

I think Alonso showed promise. I think he was "good" last year. I do not think he showed anything to indicate he was on his way to being elite.

I don't think his absence will significantly affect the defense and most-certainly not have an impact on wins/losses.

I hope he gets well and has a successful NFL career because he seems like a hard-working kid.

Unfortunately, right now the replacement has to be on the roster because the UFA field is very thin. They'll probably be scouring the waiver wire over the summer, but this is where the depth is key to winning programs. What's Bryan Scott up to these days?

If there was ever a thought of Bills still running a modified 3-4, that talk is now totally done.