Buffalo Bills Undrafted Free Agents

This isn't competition. This is someone who will battle for the 3rd or 4th QB position and a spot on the practice squad. Everything indicates that he's a great kid; high character, high football IQ and I'd love it if he could unseat Tuel.

I know that the douche bag ESPN Radio personality in Columbus who coined the nickname Smooth Jazz is creaming in his pants to see it follow Guiton to Buffalo.

:lol:

Agree on all counts. I'm an OSU grad, but not a honk. I watch virtually all of their games. My appraisal of their QBs was that Miller was a better athlete, but Guiton the better QB. The quote I heard from a scout (second hand) was that Miller is a better thrower, but Guiton is the better passer. Kenny G is a player I really like and think he's got a real chance in the NFL. I'm glad it is with the Bills.

There's very little tape on him, he doesn't have elite measurable's and when he did play he did not face high-level competition. In a draft that wasn't as deep as this one I think he would've been a late round pick.

Agreed. Miller is an elite athlete, and a QB in progress. Guiton is athetic but not an elite athlete, a natural-looking high performer when given the opportunity at QB but not the elite arm. His advantages are his approach, attitude, ability to learn and lead. He may not earn a spot even on the PS, because Tuel and Dixon each have clear head starts on the playbook and reps, but I love that they brought him in.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be a good example for the other players, how to prepare. He'll try to replace Dixon or Tuel

Hopefully Tuel. Dixon has had success as a starter, and has been around the league. I'd want to keep the only Vet we have.

Looks like Guiton posts from different threads are landing here. Anyway, not sure Tuel could have gotten this done -- the 2012 Purdue game had gone all the way bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGSHFU8dU6k

Ohio State never missed a beat when he came in when things were going well, and rose up when he came in when things weren't going well. He was more than just a backup. He could run the show and soemtimes was the show. Most college football analysts said the best 2 QBs in the Big 10 played for Ohio State. He could have started at many other programs. If he had, I believe he would have been drafted. I know this is probaby blasphemy, but I rememeber when Brady was stuck behind Drew Henson at UM. Henson was the highly recruiterd "chosen one" but Brady was the more polished, effective QB. They wanted to play Henson, but Brady kept earning PT. The reality is that there is very rarely a QB competition at OSU. Miller the unquestioned starter. He was a Heisman finalist as a Sophomore and would have been again this year if he hadn't missed the first 3 games. Miller is perfect for Urban Meyer's offense. Guiton was recruited by Jim Tressel and sat behind first the top recruit in the country, Terrell Pryor, and then his successor. He didn't come in as a highly touted player, he had to work for everything he got.

Very exciting but not particularly impressive from a QB skills perspective.

I hear that -- although he made some decent reads, and nicely faked out the defense on the two-point play, under stressful circumstances. That was also two years ago; he improved last year. As others have mentioned, this is a guy who ought to come in for depth and a truckload of intangibles.

This isn't competition. This is someone who will battle for the 3rd or 4th QB position and a spot on the practice squad. Everything indicates that he's a great kid; high character, high football IQ and I'd love it if he could unseat Tuel.

I know that the douche bag ESPN Radio personality in Columbus who coined the nickname Smooth Jazz is creaming in his pants to see it follow Guiton to Buffalo.

Seems like competition to me, for tuel and lewis

Thanks for discussing Guiton, buckeye fans. Really impressed with his tapes though not enough of him under duress. But definitely a great pickup for the Bills, love how he throws to hit his guy in stride. He has a slower throwing motion but so did Bernie Kosar. Bernie was successful because of how cerebral he was of the game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tuel gone. Oh, not sure "most" analysts would say the Buckeyes had the 2 best QBs in the big 10. Mr. Hackenburg out at Penn State is pretty good too.

Thanks for discussing Guiton, buckeye fans. Really impressed with his tapes though not enough of him under duress. But definitely a great pickup for the Bills, love how he throws to hit his guy in stride. He has a slower throwing motion but so did Bernie Kosar. Bernie was successful because of how cerebral he was of the game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tuel gone. Oh, not sure "most" analysts would say the Buckeyes had the 2 best QBs in the big 10. Mr. Hackenburg out at Penn State is pretty good too.

Right. Not sure you will find much video on that,

Hackenburg, IMO, has the highest ceiling of any QB in the Big 10, certainly as an NFL prospect. But I was referring to last year, and as a true freshman, I do not think he was one of the top 2 QBs in the conference. Against an historically bad OSU defense, Hackenburg looked like a lost puppy and could not move the ball until they were down by 60 pts in garbage time. There are no excuses for not putting up points on OSU's defense in 2013 if you are in the top 2 QBs in the conference. So I see what you are saying as far as where Hackenburg might stand now in the Big 10 ranks, but last year I think Guiton was the better QB as a senior than Hackenburg as a freshman, certainly no knock on Hackenburg. By the time Hackenburg is draft eligible, he'll be one of the top QBs taken IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Kenny Guiton is a really interesting pick up. I am a huge Braxton Miller fan, however, I'm not sure he was the best QB on the roster. I think Miller had the best upside, but Guiton by far looked more impressive. He made big plays when the team needed it and had complete control of the offense and the team. If Guiton had been the QB, the Buckeyes all season, they probably would have been in the National Championship.

If given a shot. He could become something special. I'm going to enjoy watching what is going to happen.

Ladler is a beast. He could be the Roby of this years UDFA pool. I think he will see significant game time.

From down here in Nashville, Kenny Ladler was the heart-and-soul of Vanderbilt's defense the past few years. The kid is just a player. 40 time be damned, this kid has a great shot of making the team this year.

Right. Not sure you will find much video on that,

Hackenburg, IMO, has the highest ceiling of any QB in the Big 10, certainly as an NFL prospect. But I was referring to last year, and as a true freshman, I do not think he was one of the top 2 QBs in the conference. Against an historically bad OSU defense, Hackenburg looked like a lost puppy and could not move the ball until they were down by 60 pts in garbage time. There are no excuses for not putting up points on OSU's defense in 2013 if you are in the top 2 QBs in the conference. So I see what you are saying as far as where Hackenburg might stand now in the Big 10 ranks, but last year I think Guiton was the better QB as a senior than Hackenburg as a freshman, certainly no knock on Hackenburg. By the time Hackenburg is draft eligible, he'll be one of the top QBs taken IMO.

Great points, and I definitely agree with you about his performance against OSU. Hack definitely had his ups and downs as a freshman. I guess my bias is that it's unfair to call Guiton second best in the conference since he didn't play enough though he certainly excelled when given the opportunity. No official word that he is a Bills free agent only a Columbus station claiming he was invited to Buffalo to tryout. Hope we do bring him in though. Thanks for the info.

I went '72-'76.

I was '71-75

No love for Lyerla still from any team. I guess Chandler for another year it is then.

I can't believe no tight ends. There were only 10 drafted so many others to choose from. How can they settle for the lumbering Chandler, a 7th round pick from 2013, an unkown in Moeaki (unkown that he ever plays like he did) and a blocked in Lee Smith? I guess we also have to include Brandon Kauffman.

I was '71-75

I can't believe no tight ends. There were only 10 drafted so many others to choose from. How can they settle for the lumbering Chandler, a 7th round pick from 2013, an unkown in Moeaki (unkown that he ever plays like he did) and a blocked in Lee Smith? I guess we also have to include Brandon Kauffman.

Don't sleep on Gragg. Chandler is pretty decent and Moeki could end up being a surprise.

One last thing on Guiton that resonates more than anything is the way that he is viewed by the coaching staff. This guy is as beloved as any player by any coaching staff that I can recall. He's a coach on the field and a leader in the locker room. I think that he has a chance to not only make the team but to develop into a long term backup. Maybe he will not be 2nd on the depth chart this year but it wouldn't shock me.

He was the back up QB at Ohio State. He could have started at a number of programs - but was behind Braxton Miller who is a dynamic playmaker, ................ie Kenny Guiton

No time to read the whole thread, maybe its already been said. I dont see this kid listed as a free agent signing by the Bills on the web site. Must be they changed their minds or maybe the report was inaccurate ? Too bad. He'd have been fun to watch at TC.

EDIT: I do see via google he is an undrafted Buffalo free agent. The bills web site doesnt reflect it. Maybe they just never updated it. Who knows, but I look forward to seeing this kid work out for sure. Thanks.

Edited by jaybee

No time to read the whole thread, maybe its already been said. I dont see this kid listed as a free agent signing by the Bills on the web site. Must be they changed their minds or maybe the report was inaccurate ? Too bad. He'd have been fun to watch at TC.

EDIT: I do see via google he is an undrafted Buffalo free agent. The bills web site doesnt reflect it. Maybe they just never updated it. Who knows, but I look forward to seeing this kid work out for sure. Thanks.

Guiton hasn't been offered a contract yet, just invited for a try-out to mini-camp. Probably why they don't list him.

Very exciting but not particularly impressive from a QB skills perspective. Perdue D and the refs were very helpful. His passes were floating.

I don't remember that being the case, maybe so, Purdue's defense was pretty good that day from what I recall. That was his first real (non-garbage time) game action EVER I believe, on the road, coming from behind and there was an undefeated season on the line. He came in and acted like he did it every day. Edited by YoloinOhio

Guiton leads WRs extremely well, and can put zip on it. Throws are accurate.

By the way, take a look at the TE for OSU, #86, Jeff Heuerman. He'll be in the draft next year, and a very nice prospect for the type of offense the Bills run,

Guiton hasn't been offered a contract yet, just invited for a try-out to mini-camp. Probably why they don't list him.

I don't remember that being the case, maybe so, Purdue's defense was pretty good that day from what I recall. That was his first real (non-garbage time) game action EVER I believe, on the road, coming from behind and there was an undefeated season on the line. He came in and acted like he did it every day.

On that last drive and OT.

There must be a reason, but I don't understand why the Bills don't just sign him as an UDFA. With his status of just being an "invite", there's really no commitment and he could sign with another team at any time, right? It's either the Bills really don't believe in him or they can't afford the $3,000 signing bonus.

There must be a reason, but I don't understand why the Bills don't just sign him as an UDFA. With his status of just being an "invite", there's really no commitment and he could sign with another team at any time, right? It's either the Bills really don't believe in him or they can't afford the $3,000 signing bonus.

I think it's related to the roster limit of 90 players. If he shows well during the rookie minicamp, I'm sure the Bills will release a player to add him.

Just an extra arm for rookie camp?

I don't think it is either of those... I think they need to see more before signing him, especially with his situation as they probably don't have enough film to know yet. With QBs especially a lot has to do with the system they came from. They likely want to see him throw with the team and run some of the plays.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 28m

Former Syracuse center Macky MacPherson signs with Buffalo Bills as free agent: http://bit.ly/1p1vEJs

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 2m

In case you didn't know, new #Bills C Mackey MacPherson is the grandson of former Syracuse and Pats Head Coach Dick MacPherson.

yea saw this and the first thing that came to mind was the thread talking about Urbik being cut and that many (including myself) said we couldnt see it due to Urbik being the only back up at center on team...not saying this is a reason to now see Urbik being cut, but it could now become a possibility if this center is good enough to back up Wood...