RD3, Pick #73: Preston Brown ILB, Louisville

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backup for Spikes?

Sounds like a very similar player. Backup and probably replacement.

Not a bad pick (can never have enough thumpers), but I think there was better value in areas of need (OG).

Interesting... Mayock and Davis said they liked him a lot more after they watched more tape...They said he's more than just a downhill thumper... No matter what you read about him everyone agrees he's a real good size/athlete guy...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=211

Edited by KOKBILLS

Basically a Spikes clone...

Aggressive, big physical player against the run with good instincts who is very good against the run and struggles in coverage and drops...suggest he is likely a two-down "run thumper"

Edited by matter2003

Underwhelming to me. Slow. Not a good cover linebacker. We'll see though.

He is a big physical MLB against the run..basically his strength/weaknesses/bottom line reads like a Brandon Spikes clone and is likely a hedge against hi not resigning after this year...

Aggressive, big physical player against the run with good instincts who is very good against the run and struggles in coverage and drops...suggest he is likely a two-down "run thumper"

Which Spikes? (Brandon? Takeo?)

And again, I would have preferred Nix.

Backup for Spikes?

Makes sense. He could compete for a spot at SLB, over Rivers and is a good backup if Spikes A) stinks or B) winds up being really, really good and leaves next year.

He is a big physical MLB against the run..basically his strength/weaknesses/bottom line reads like a Brandon Spikes clone and is likely a hedge against hi not resigning after this year...

I guess if the Spikes mold is what fits our scheme. I like a sideline to sideline guy though. Also with the emergence of the tight end, you need cover guys. I guess you can't expect too much in the third though.

Wanted a LDE but I trust Whaley and we do need someone to take over for Spikes (but we needed a LDE now also could have used Nix at DT so if Dareus is suspended we'd be covered). Regardless, here are some scouting reports on Preston Brown:

Nat'l Football Post:

Preston Brown – Linebacker

Brown is a fourth-year senior and a three-year starter. He has excellent size, speed, and athleticism. I estimate his size at 6’2 – 255 and he runs in the 4.75-4.80 range. He is a good athlete to go along with good strength and explosion. He flashes being a playmaker and can be physically tough at the point of attack.

Sportsline:

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: He's a stoutly-built athlete but possesses a dynamic first-step for his size, and displays explosiveness downhill when closing on the line of scrimmage. He's an extremely physical but fundamentally-sound tackler who prides himself on tackling hard and violent. He recognizes and anticipates the run well, particularly between the tackles, and is an effective angler when pursuing the run to the outside.

Edited by Beerball