Better Draft Day (s) coverage: ESPN or NFLN?

I always watched ESPN for the draft but in recent years it has gotten to be a huge panel and kind of annoying. I switched to NFLN last year on day 2 and found it to be better. Does ESPN still show the guy drafted before they announce the name? IMO I would prefer to be surprised.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going with Mayock for about 5 years now, he and Charles Davis are more knowledgable than anyone ESPN puts on in my opinion. I hate to miss out on Berman but I flip over when I can and Eisen is entertaining too.

I like on the final day of the draft they play this game where they pick out the most obscure prospect they can find and Mayock still has a report on him, it's good fun.

Edited by Aaron

I've been going with Mayock for about 5 years now, he and Charles Davis are more knowledgable than anyone ESPN puts on in my opinion. I hate to miss out on Berman but I flip over when I can and Eisen is entertaining too.

I like on the final day of the draft they play this game where they pick out the most obscure prospect they can find and Mayock still has a report on him.

If NFLN just put Eisen, mayock, Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah on they would be outstanding. But they don't even put Davis or Jeremiah at the main table, they muddy it up with those bumbling idiots Irvin Faulk mariucci and sanders.

Edited by FluffHead

I have one on each TV...DVR both so I can go back and watch the commentary when the Bills pick...I like NFL Network a bit more...But not by much...I think they both do some things well...I like Kiper and Mayock...I really do like both of them...But I also think both networks give too much air time to dumb stuff like Coaches interviews (especially on Day #3), and those incredibly dumb 1st Draft things NFL Network does with the prospects posing like models...UGH! I hate that crap!!! :lol: I would much rather they stick to talking about the picks, the teams, and the players remaining...There is no reason they can't do this either...Mayock and Kiper know every single player Drafted...There's plenty to talk about...Instead you get way too much filler garbage...again...especially on Day 3... B-)

If NFLN just put Eisen, mayock, Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah on they would be outstanding. But they don't even put Davis or Jeremiah at the main table, they muddy it up with those bumbling idiots Irvin Faulk mariucci and sanders.

Completely agree! There was at least one year I believe where they had Mayock and Davis both at the main table, never should've changed it.

Deion has become a guilty pleasure for me in recent years for a laugh but the likes of Irvin, Mariucci, Faulk, Sapp add nothing while making a whole lotta noise.

Completely agree! There was at least one year I believe where they had Mayock and Davis both at the main table, never should've changed it.

Deion has become a guilty pleasure for me in recent years for a laugh but the likes of Irvin, Mariucci, Faulk, Sapp add nothing while making a whole lotta noise.

I'd rather be hung by my...well...you know...than listen to Sanders and Irvin talk about anything...And I mean anything...Football related or not...Those two grind on my last nerve...They are absolutely stealing money from The NFL Network...They suck...Sanders more than Irvin IMHO...But I think they both stink... :D

I'd rather be hung by my...well...you know...than listen to Sanders and Irvin talk about anything...And I mean anything...Football related or not...Those two grind on my last nerve...They are absolutely stealing money from The NFL Network...They suck...Sanders more than Irvin IMHO...But I think they both stink... :D

For me there's nobody worse than Irvin and Sapp, they're so !@#$ing loud and never say anything intelligible. Deion is funny now and then, to me anyway, to each his own. :)

Edited by Aaron

Any streaming options out there if ESPN or NFLN are not an option?

NFL Network streams their coverage...They had two different stream feeds for the Combine...It was awesome!!! I'm pretty sure WGR has extensive coverage on all three days...You can always find stations that are streaming ESPN's radio coverage... B-)

I had ESPN on the TV last year but was listening to Pat Kirwin, Jim Miller, Gil Brandt and Tim Ryan on SiriusXM via my laptop. I'll do that this year too. Too many ass clowns on NFLN and I can't listen to Kiper and McDouche McShay.

ESPN stopped tipping the pick last year. It made some news, too. They came out and said they would not be showing the player on the phone prior to the announcement. I think even Berman did not say anything about the Bills pick.

Even though I hate to admit it, I enjoy ESPN the day of the draft more. It tends to be more entertaining with some more human interest stories and some better background on the players personal lives. NFL network is far better with analysis, but it can be dry because on almost every pick they give a run down on the players combine stats and compare it to their proday stats, then compare it to player X who is in the nfl. I watch both, but ESPN is a little more entertaining to watch. But I always want Mayock's opinion on a lot of the picks, especially bills and afc east teams.

They are using Daniel Jereiah a lot lately, I think they move him to the main table this year. I think they have gotten a lot of good feedback about him. But I agree, putting those four together would be pretty wonderful.

Mike Mayock is the best reason to watch NFL Network's coverage. Unfortunately, Mayock is the only thing good about NFL Network's coverage.

Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp & Jamie Dukes offer almost no insight, all they do is yell.

Charles Davis does a lot better, but I think they only have him there for one day, which is a shame.

Rich Eisen is a joke. He brings absolutely nothing interesting to the draft. How many times do we have to hear him tell us that you can download the NFL Network app on your smartphone? :wallbash:

Overall I think ESPN's coverage is better. It's definitely more entertaining.

At least Chris Berman knows what he's talking about, and brings far more to the table than Eisen does.

Mel Kiper is still very good at what he does. Yes, he sucks at his predictions, but that's not what I listen to Kiper for. He brings very good analysis to the table, and that's all that matters to me.

Jon Gruden gets annoying with his love fest for every player that gets drafted, but he also has good analysis.

McShay is far too pompous.

I can't get ESPN over here in the UK but I do get NFL Network as part of my NFL subscription thing. I am a big Mike Mayock fan. What I like about him is he talks about what players can do, what they can't do, what their strengths and weaknesses are and always tries to see why a team might have take a guy where they have rather than getting fixated on big boards and whether player X is a reach etc. I have seen a few clips of Kiper online and I don't think he has, in my opinion at least, as good a handle on the actual technical abilities and flaws of the players. Mayock doesn't seem to excude that sumg "of course I'm right" attitude to me either. He seems to get that drafting isn't a science.

I also like Jeremiah. My only knock on him is he seems to be a little bit loathe to admit he was wrong once he's declared a view on a player, but I do think his opnions are worth listening to.

I switch between the 2.

ESPN has stopped spoiling the picks though which is good.

Uhhh...did you see when the Bills picked Manuel last year? They definitely spoiled it. While they didn't flat out say that Manuel was the pick, Schefter clearly said something along the lines of that "he's heard it's Manuel, or the Bills really like Manuel" or something like that just before the pick. It was a clear spoiler in my mind and ruined any suspense on who our next franchise QB was going to be when The Commish made the announcement.

I like the idea of watching ESPN for the entertainment and DVR'ing NFLN to watch better analysis later. I like Berman, Polian, Jeremiah, Mayock. Strongly dislike McShay, and all the non-draft buffoons at NFLN Sanders, Irvin, Sapp, etc. Hopefully as others have said they put Jeremiah, Mayock and Davis front and center this year from the jump. I feel like Gruden looks like he's rather be anywhere else but the draft the whole time and they all get cranky and start snipping at each other on ESPN by day 2. I don't like to miss anything, and never thought of recording one and watching the other. It will give me something to do between the draft and TC. :lol:

I'm a flip-flopper. No, not my politics, just Draft day coverage. I disagree with the OP, Berman is a Bills fan and I love him.

I didn't say I didn't like Berman... you must mean one of the other posters!

Uhhh...did you see when the Bills picked Manuel last year? They definitely spoiled it. While they didn't flat out say that Manuel was the pick, Schefter clearly said something along the lines of that "he's heard it's Manuel, or the Bills really like Manuel" or something like that just before the pick. It was a clear spoiler in my mind and ruined any suspense on who our next franchise QB was going to be when The Commish made the announcement.

This is what I mean.. I thought they weren't going to do it anymore but its like they can't help themselves from telling us that they know who it is before its announced. Maybe some people like that, I prefer not to know until the commish or the team rep announces it.

ESPN is like the male version of "The View." The last time I watched ESPN for draft, it might as well been the RGIII show the entire draft as that's all they talked about everyday during their coverage.

That is an excellent description, and actually I find both networks to be that way.

I watch the first pick overall, then watch something else until the Bills first pick. Listen to the analysis of said pick, then change channels again until the Bills second pick. Then I'm done.

ESPN is like the male version of "The View." The last time I watched ESPN for draft, it might as well been the RGIII show the entire draft as that's all they talked about everyday during their coverage.

This year it will be the Johnny Football show.

Not really a spoiler compared to what they used to do. Those douchebags are wrong more than they are right. They are still guessing. Before they would have a camera back in the holding pen and focus on who got the phone call. That really was a spoiler.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I like ESPN because they never fail at giving the audience at least one hilarious gem every year like Gruden not realizing he's on TV and calling a coach a f'ing idiot or Berman freaking out on the cameraman when they come back from commercial before everyone is ready. I actually like McShay and how he takes digs at Kiper. Not a Kiper fan.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall