Bills acquire WR mike Williams

I always thought restructure just means the player gets the same money it is just allocated differently to decrease the cap number. They aren't getting less money than the deal they actually signed.

That's my understanding as well. They took on his contract by trading for him, so he is indeed getting paid that much unless he is cut.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite Williams troubled past, I am happy with this move. Great size, speed and hands and going to be coached by the guy under whom he put up an incredible 7 game run at Syracuse prior to quitting/being booted off the team (depends who you ask). You have to know that Marrone signed off on this, so prospects are good that he believes he can work with him. The Bills receiving corps absolutely improves with this addition.

Edited by VanCity

Despite Williams troubled past, I am happy with this move. Great size, speed and hands and going to be coached by the guy under whom he put up an incredible 7 game run at Syracuse prior to quitting/being booted off the team (depends who you ask). You have to know that Marrone signed off on this, so prospects are good that he beleives he can work with him. The Bills receiving corps absolutely improves with this addition.

Not to mention his old WR coach, Rob Moore.

I always thought restructure just means the player gets the same money it is just allocated differently to decrease the cap number. They aren't getting less money than the deal they actually signed.

thats the traditional way writers use the term. it could potentially mean any type of changes to the old deal though, if the person doesnt adhere to that social norm in using the word (which not 100% do)

I don't think this should automatically preclude a Mike Evans pick at all, unless he is just plain gone by the time we pick.

Williams is a legitimate receiver in this league (190 rec, 2700 yds, and 24 TDs in his first three years) and his contract is very cap friendly even with Johnson and a potential first round WR pick.

The issue don't arise now , but after 2014 when Johnson and Williams' contracts get substantial larger.

I love the trade and I don't necessarily believe it has to imply a change in supposed direction on draft day...well, draft - day 1.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I love the trade! If he can do what several athletes have done and make this a clean slate and live up to his potential...WHEW! This kid when he is on is one of the better WR's in the NFL. This could be the steal of the offseason if he pans out

I don't think this should automatically preclude a Mike Evans pick at all, unless he is just plain gone by the time we pick.

Williams is a legitimate receiver in this league (190 rec, 2700 yds, and 24 TDs in his first three years) and his contract is very cap friendly even with Johnson and a potential first round WR pick.

The issue don't arise now , but after 2014 when Johnson and Williams' contracts get substantial larger.

I love the trade and I don't necessarily believe it has to imply a change in supposed direction on draft day...well, draft - day 1.

No way we go WR now, we are loaded. Ebron or trade down is my guess at this point. I mean damn we will have people lined up to get our cast offs at WR

John Kryk@JohnKryk 4m

For those keeping track at home, Bills' Williamses now include Mario, Kyle, Aaron, Chris, Nathan, Duke and Mike.

Just for grins, I went to NFL.com where they have a list of the top 400 prospects for the draft and there are only 2 Williams' listed, both running backs.

Andre Williams- Boston College

Damien Williams- Oklahoma

There are also still 2 Williams' remaining in the free agent market

Dantan Williams- WR (Ten)

Kevin Williams- DT (Min)

Just for grins, I went to NFL.com where they have a list of the top 400 prospects for the draft and there are only 2 Williams' listed, both running backs.

Andre Williams- Boston College

Damien Williams- Oklahoma

There are also still 2 Williams' remaining in the free agent market

Dantan Williams- WR (Ten)

Kevin Williams- DT (Min)

FWIW, Andre Williams is a name that has been linked a LOT to the Bills.

His off the field concerns do seem to be overblown to a large extent. I mean, serious, who hasn't been stabbed by their brother once or twice? Or cheated on a test. Or caused a $54,000 fire.

There is "misunderstood," and then there is "completely misunderstood."

I guess ultimately, like everything, we all have opinions here and we all will just have to wait and see how it pans out. In effect, this is a contract year for him. If he plays well, he either gets a new one or the 7m he will be owed. If he tanks, he is likely out on the street having been let go in two straight years by two straight marginal teams, and will likely have to sign a prove it to me deal.

(I'm not sure where the reports of Williams still be guaranteed 9m are coming from. If that is the case, I'm even less thrilled with the trade).

Wow. No Evans for us.

Not necessarily

I love the trade! If he can do what several athletes have done and make this a clean slate and live up to his potential...WHEW! This kid when he is on is one of the better WR's in the NFL. This could be the steal of the offseason if he pans out

No way we go WR now, we are loaded. Ebron or trade down is my guess at this point. I mean damn we will have people lined up to get our cast offs at WR

Loaded with numbers but not necessarily top talent. It's very good but not great yet.

Any time you just assign a number of catches as an indicator of talent or effectiveness, it's an entirely worthless argument.

Chandlers 53 catches the way he played two years ago is a good season. Chandler's 53 catches last year when he dropped a lot, lost games by fumbling, had the most ill timed bad plays hurting the team, etc, is a crappy year. Why do you think he garnered zero interest in FA? I know. Because he was terrible last year. Hopefully it will be an aberration. But no matter what, he can't do what today's good TEs all do because he doesn't have the speed, skills or athleticism.

I prefer tangible results. Drafting a tackle or WR at 9 will IMO have a more tangible effect on the the team. To worry how Glenn's future might possibly be affected 2 years down the road doesn't concern me and I hope that it doesn't concern the front office if they feel that the best player for them at 9 is a tackle. If the they feel that the best player for them is a WR then I hope that they choose that guy.

I personally do not think that any tight end in the draft is worth the 9th pick.

Okay when are they going to just rename this team "The Williams"

Bills is the nickname for Williams

His off the field concerns do seem to be overblown to a large extent. I mean, serious, who hasn't been stabbed by their brother once or twice? Or cheated on a test. Or caused a $54,000 fire.

There is "misunderstood," and then there is "completely misunderstood."

I guess ultimately, like everything, we all have opinions here and we all will just have to wait and see how it pans out. In effect, this is a contract year for him. If he plays well, he either gets a new one or the 7m he will be owed. If he tanks, he is likely out on the street having been let go in two straight years by two straight marginal teams, and will likely have to sign a prove it to me deal.

(I'm not sure where the reports of Williams still be guaranteed 9m are coming from. If that is the case, I'm even less thrilled with the trade).

Well people were pissing and moaning about choir boys only. Certainly not the case anymore... Spikes, alanszo, Williams, Duke,

I love this move! And I also love that it implies we will not draft Mike Evans

They may not think he will be there??? Or don't want to bank on a rookie WR?

The line up will be; Woods Williams, Stevie, Goodwin, and a WR they draft this year?

I really believe that the Bills have seen enough of Stevie and will take Evans if he's there and try to peddle Stevie J. But I bet they don't get anything more than the 6th they gave away. Interesting I checked Twitter and Mike Williams doesn't have an account to follow unless he dumped it at some point. I guess we'll find out if Williams stabbing injury and hammy are healed when he has to pass the physical.