Bills acquire WR mike Williams

Still not quite sure why anyone would be against a OT at #9. This draft is top heavy in OT and TE, meaning, you won't find quality in OT's after Rd 1 and probably won't find quality in TE's after Rd 2. At least the can't miss, and can start and contribute immediately type of players. I like going OT in round 1, TE in round 2 and rush end in round 3 and stop chasing WR's and see how this core develops around EJ. They have 2 proven vets (Stevie and Mike Williams); 2 young promising 2nd year players (woods and Goodwin) and a few long shots (Rasmus, Graham and Easley).

I have to respectfully, albeit vehemently, disagree with that statement.

This is one of the deepest OT classes in recent history. Starting RTs can be found, reliably, as late as the 3rd round this year. I know guys like Mayock think so as well:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326391/printable/mayock-18-takeaways-on-draft-prospects-entering-combine

10. Plenty of OTs to be found

As high as Mayock is on the depth of wide receivers in the draft, he was equally effusive about offensive tackles beyond the first round. "If you're not going to jump on a tackle in the first round, you can get into the second round, or even later in the second round," he said. Mayock named Virginia's Morgan Moses, Clemson's Brandon Thomas, Nevada's Joel Bitonio and Ohio State's Jack Mewhort as a few good examples of players who could be found in the second or third round and are likely to be starters.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant move! I like him better than Britt, hometown is Buffalo, former coach in Marrone and only costs us a 6th and 1.8 mil this year. If he screws up it won't cost us much. The Doug's are killing it! Now we trade back in the draft before the jets and grab Ebron.

I think that this is a GREAT signing and really signifies a changing of the guards, taking on edgier players with attitudes! I personally loved it when last year Woods got bounced out of the Dolphin game for throwing a punch, especially that we won the game. Williams is loaded with talent and if anyone really thinks that he is going to embarrass himself in front of his own community then maybe they better think again. Another WR that nobody seems to be talking about much is Ramses Barden. I think that this guy might be the best acquisition of the off season.

I can hardly wait when the likes of Spikes and Williams plays the Patriots, there should be some good fireworks going on in that game. I fully expect Pepper Johnson having that defense jacked up for it at the Ralph!

i agree with all of this. And also think Ramses Barden will be a huge surprise. He might not be putting up 1,000 yards and 12TDs, but in completely expecting him to be at least as good as David Nelson was during his best year if not better and better in the red zone too.

Michael Purinton@NickelCityBills 13s

Mike Williams' contract: http://www.spotrac.c...liams/ … $1.8 million cap hit in 2014

This made me literally laugh out loud. You are so right.

John Kryk@JohnKryk 4m

For those keeping track at home, Bills' Williamses now include Mario, Kyle, Aaron, Chris, Nathan, Duke and Mike.

Any good Williams in the draft? We really do need a few more!!!

Call it a stat if you like, I call it a fact. He had 53 catches last season.

How many must Ebron have to justify taking him at 9? You neglected to answer the central question.

If the Bills pick Eric Ebron it's with the intention of drafting a TE with Jimmy Graham or Gronk-like production ceiling level. It's not about reception count, it's about the ability to exploit mismatches and catch touchdowns in the redzone. Yes I know, Ebron only had 3 TD catches last year. However if they pick him, the Bills talent evaluators will say that they don't care since they know he can be an elite TE at the NFL level.

I hope the pick is Ebron because I think he'd be the missing piece of the Bills being a playoff team. As long as EJ can throw him the ball, which I'm pretty certain he can given the size of Ebron.

Well I think this move says we are going OT in the first round.

or they are getting as many pieces as possible and there is some truth to the rumors of trading up to #1 with Houston so we can take Clowney or Mack.

How sweet would that be, in one offseason we pick up 3 Buffalo Boys that are all very good.

If the Bills pick Eric Ebron it's with the intention of drafting a TE with Jimmy Graham or Gronk-like production ceiling level. It's not about reception count, it's about the ability to exploit mismatches and catch touchdowns in the redzone. Yes I know, Ebron only had 3 TD catches last year. However if they pick him, the Bills talent evaluators will say that they don't care since they know he can be an elite TE at the NFL level.

I hope the pick is Ebron because I think he'd be the missing piece of the Bills being a playoff team. As long as EJ can throw him the ball, which I'm pretty certain he can given the size of Ebron.

I agree that this would have to be the thinking IF they took Ebron at 9...that said, I don't necessarily agree that he's got that kind of ability (not sure if you do or not; can't remember where you fall on that one).

I think he'll be a good player, but not Gronk-like...maybe not even Vernon Davis-like. Probably closer to Dustin Keller.

I have to respectfully, albeit vehemently, disagree with that statement.

This is one of the deepest OT classes in recent history. Starting RTs can be found, reliably, as late as the 3rd round this year. I know guys like Mayock think so as well:

http://www.nfl.com/n...ntering-combine

10. Plenty of OTs to be found

As high as Mayock is on the depth of wide receivers in the draft, he was equally effusive about offensive tackles beyond the first round. "If you're not going to jump on a tackle in the first round, you can get into the second round, or even later in the second round," he said. Mayock named Virginia's Morgan Moses, Clemson's Brandon Thomas, Nevada's Joel Bitonio and Ohio State's Jack Mewhort as a few good examples of players who could be found in the second or third round and are likely to be starters.

I'll alter my comment as follows: The early round talent at OT in this draft is GREAT. After those Top 5, it is GOOD. 2013 was a weak OT draft by comparison. My thinking is, you can get a GREAT OT prospect at 9, but only get value at that position in rounds 2 and 3. I don't agree with Mayock's assessment of the 2nd round talent, I think outside the Top 5 OT's, it goes back to GOOD, not great. BTW, I love Moses and Thomas, but I doubt they last until Bills pick in 2nd round. The other guys, Bitonio projects more as a guard and Mewhort is good, but is no stud, more of an NFL backup, IMO.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I'll alter my comment as follows: The early round talent at OT in this draft is GREAT. After those Top 5, it is GOOD. 2013 was a weak OT draft by comparison. My thinking is, you can get a GREAT OT prospect at 9, but only get value at that position in rounds 2 and 3. I don't agree with Mayock's assessment of the 2nd round talent, I think outside the Top 5 OT's, it goes back to GOOD, not great.

Ah ok...that makes much more sense...and yes, the 2013 draft class as a whole was rather weak; it amazes me that Buffalo was able to add 3 solid players and a potential long-term QB given the overall talent level.

or they are getting as many pieces as possible and there is some truth to the rumors of trading up to #1 with Houston so we can take Clowney or Mack.

How sweet would that be, in one offseason we pick up 3 Buffalo Boys that are all very good.

That would be very sweet.

As for Mike Williams, this is not a player I had not even thought of as being available. Giving up just a 6th rounder for him is a great deal. Now, will it pay off? Difficult to say.

Nevertheless, the Bills have made some very solid moves this offseason. I believe this lessens the idea of drafting a WR in the 1st round.

It seems like it will wither be BPA or a trade down in the 1st round for the Bills. Both of which are fine with me.

Couldn't land the Gang banger DeSean, or the 9 time arrested Britt, and since they already jettisoned the legally challenged Da'Rick. The Bills were in fact determined to land a troubled WR.

...could this be the end of days for Stevie J, so the team can save money by dumping a (albeit no longer really good) proven player?... or will Williams brother simply stab Marrone ?.. could then SJ end up in NE, Miami, Jets to screw over his former team...stay tuned

I think Whaley loves Ebron. His QBs at UNC sucked.

What's with the talk of getting rid of SJ? We aren't in cap trouble at the moment, and he's still the best WR on this team (if not the best, at least deserving to be on the field for a majority of offensive snaps).

I swear our fans have no desire to win. We always talk of cutting/getting rid of good players... because they aren't good enough.