Bills acquire WR mike Williams

You're skipping one year ahead. For this year, MW only carries $1.8 mil and should fit nicely in the salary framework.

The concern you're talking about will happen if both Stevie and MW have a blowout 2014. I think then it will be a good problem for Whaley to solve.

No, in that case I would be ecstatic. The far more likely scenario is for them to both be pretty good, and force our hand to get rid of one of them, and so we're in the same boat as now.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. But do they want to pay two guys 7m who are good but not great. That's the issue, IMO.

i was about to chime in that among the worst cases (other than both imploding) is that both simply play ok, or "good"

thought of all that, but it's a talented playmaker who had 9 TDs in the NFL in 1 season for a team that needs playmakers….all for really nothing. And it's competition at WR. The Bills are taking an OT. Everything points to it…..

He had 9 last season, but in his rookie year (2010) he had 11 (eleven!) TD's. 25 total in his 4 years, despite injuries and not the greatest cast of QB's throwing to him.

Not saying how good he will be - but he's clearly worth taking a flyer on - this is a no brainer.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13489/mike-williams

Edited by BobChalmers

Others are saying that the addition of Williams now precludes them taking of a top WR like Evans. I don't see that as so. Not only is Williams not anywhere near the same calibre of player that Evans is (or is capable of becoming) but there is no guarantee that Williams will be a Bill beyond this season, or even this season itself.

If Evans is there for the taking I'm sure he'll be very highly considered.

Edited by Pneumonic

Williams was a fourth round find for Tampa in 2010. He played every game from the time he was drafted until a hamstring tear last season. He's had a history of off-the-field incidents and was stabbed in the thigh by his brother last month following an argument (a fairly small laceration). He has pending misdemeanor charges of aggravated battery and trespassing and is out of pocket some $43,000 in damages for destructive house parties. He was fined by the Bucs more than $200,000 for skipping or being late to rehab sessions for his hamstring injury so we have some attitude issues. Marrone coached Williams at Syracuse but left the team after he was suspended for "academic impropriety." I wonder if the Bucs contributed any money to the deal that we haven't been told yet.

Okay, without doing much research let me ask here first. Is this guy the legit #1 WR that people are saying that we have been lacking?..........another comment is that if the locker room is dominated by good character people, then you can afford one guy with a potential for being a bad apple. He will not hurt the other people much and he may come around and behave under peer pressure. He does know that he has been traded as some combination of a salary dump and a used jock strap and suddenly can really see the end of his career if he f ups again. With Marone here, he probably knows that cutesy games are not going to have much traction.

Others are saying that the addition of Williams now precludes them taking of a top WR like Evans. I don't see that as so. Not only is Williams not anywhere near the same calibre of player that Evans is but there is no guarantee that Williams will be a Bill beyond this season.

If Evans is there for the taking I'm sure he'll be very highly considered.

Mike Evans is 20 years old and has the upside of Calvin Johnson. So yes, a completely different player and still raw. if the Bills are thinking long-term, they'll still take him IMO if he is there. Who knows where MW and SJ will be 3-5 years from now when Evans is still 25 or younger and just reaching his full potential as an NFL WR. Many rookie WRs struggle. Woods was actually a nice surprise as he was so polished. Evans stepping in as a #1 WR may not have even happened. However, if they don't love Evans and think trading down or taking a OT or pass rusher at 9 helps this team make the playoffs THIS YEAR I am all. ALL. in. Edited by YoloinOhio

Living in Tampa, I've always liked watching Williams play. He is better when he has a true #1 in V. Jackson. We still need a big athletic WR, and TE. This just assures us we can dump Graham, Hogan, etc. His first three seasons he ranged from about 800 to just under 1000 yards. He is 6'2" which is nice, and has good speed.

We were able to capitalize on the dumb but move about the leg. Marrone will straighten him out, and he is cheap. Most 6th rounders get cut anyway. I love it. I continue to be impressed with Whaley's moves this season. He's quietly addressing most holes from last year. He and Marrone hire much better and experienced coaches, we add the much needed QB coach, and filling needs. Spikes to help stop the run, Kiko moves back to his natural position, Graham could be an absolute stud at free safety, and now Williams. The other Williams will probably not make the team, and Rivers is just a back up.

This leads me to believe we might take as posted in another thread a DE opposite Mario. Maybe these moves are designed in free agency to trade up to #1 or 2, and take Clowney. With the addition now of Mike Williams, I'm warming up to the idea. Not Mack unless we stay a 3-4. I don't see that happening.

Go Bills!!!!

Agreed. But do they want to pay two guys 7m who are good but not great. That's the issue, IMO.

I think the situation in 2015 will be a bit different, as both would be one year older. Assuming they put up career years, Bills probably won't keep both, although it would be in their interests to restructure because chances are they would earn more in a restructured Bills deal than in hitting the FA market. They're both a bit old for the prime FA targets for WRs in free agency. Deshaun took roughly a 25% paycut to sign with the Skins from the amount that Eagles owed him. So I'm guessing by 2015, both Stevie's and MW's market values will be about 20% below their contract numbers.

I think it would be a lot worse if he stabbed his brother.

To get a veteran receiver with a lot of talent for a 6th? Seems like a good pickup. Let's take Jarred Abbrederis in the 3rd.

First round Matthews, second round the TE from Notre Dame, 3rd round Abbrederis.

Or maybe that kid from Kent who ran a 4.2.

And that, to me, is EASILY the most likely scenario.

I do share some of your concerns here, and agree that the worst scenario is something like 60-70 catches, 950-1100 yards, 6-8 TDs and another 6-10 record. Because at that point, he's just about worth his remaining contract, but unless EJ makes a major leap (and if we're 6-10 again, he hasn't), is it really beneficial to have 2 $7.5mil WRs who are pretty good but nothing special?

On the other hand, and this is pure speculation, Williams' contract is very cheap this year, and cutting him at any point beyond this year would be a cap savings. I hope the Bills are willing to part ways with him at any point, including after a decent but unspectacular year. Maybe the Bills are still hoping Evans falls to them (not super likely he gets past TB, but you never know), and they look at Williams as a potential transitional starter while Evans takes his rookie lumps. (Or whomever they draft in the 2nd or 3rd or whatever.)

Just in terms of straight value, Williams >>> 6th-rounder. In terms of the broader implications of this deal, I'm less enthusiastic, but there's still plenty of room for hopeful/positive interpretation.