Bills acquire WR mike Williams

I think that I like it. It's a low risk, high reward move. He is very talented but has proven to be a bit of a knucklehead. Will being home be good or bad for the Williams? They only invested a 6th round pick and his cap number is low. These are the types of moves that the Patriots used to make. I am not saying that the Bills are the Pats but when you can acquire good talent for low round draft picks it is a good move IMO. I am always surprised that teams don't do that more often.

His cap is low for this year. Next year we pay him 6.8m and the year after 7.2m.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge fan of this move at all. Too big a risk for too much money, especially if we are keeping Stevie. If we keep this guy over Stevie, and then don't draft Evans, I will like it less. I also hate the idea of OT at #9 because we will lose Glenn, IMO.

That said...

If the thinking is to go after Ebron, and keep Stevie... then the line-up of Stevie. Mike Williams. Woods. Goodwin. Ebron. Chandler. Spiller. Jackson. could really do some damage is they came together at all.

I just don't think they are going to do that.

See, when I heard about this trade my first thought was now Ebron is actually possible in the first. No way the Bills take a TE without addressing their need for a tall, physical red zone threat. Now that they have it, I could totally see them taking Ebron.

Even better, I could see them trading down, recouping the lost draft pick and still snag Ebron in the first.

yea, essentially its a cheap 1 year deal to see if he can prove worthy of the 4 years 30m on the other side of this season. almost no risk, but i dont know if he will be here for the long haul either.

I don't think so either (at least without restructuring). It is kind of that one year "prove it" deal that seems to be popular at the moment. I could see him having a pretty decent year though.

All of these Buffalo guys coming home. Now all that they need is Gronk (Rob that is).

i'm wary on this one. but why not? they can still draft a wr as well. marrone knows this guy and what he's capable of. i assume because of the history they have williams knows that marrone isn't going to play around or cater to his ego.

I'm not a huge fan of this move at all. Too big a risk for too much money, especially if we are keeping Stevie. If we keep this guy over Stevie, and then don't draft Evans, I will like it less. I also hate the idea of OT at #9 because we will lose Glenn, IMO.

That said...

If the thinking is to go after Ebron, and keep Stevie... then the line-up of Stevie. Mike Williams. Woods. Goodwin. Ebron. Chandler. Spiller. Jackson. could really do some damage is they came together at all.

I just don't think they are going to do that.

They may do just that. They are bringing in Ebron for a visit and they may now trade down and take him later, doesn't need to be at 9. They will keep Stevie another year at least. What if MW doesn't work out and they got rid of Stevie? They would be left with no vets.

I love it!!! Gaining a proven NFL talent for only a 6th rounder is a great move in my book...low risk, high reward. I also like the fact that they didn’t just wait/hope the Bucs cut him to then go after him as a FA. They identified a talent that could help make this team better and went out to get him.

Hopefully this trade and all the other off field stuff has humbled Williams and he comes in with a chip on his shoulder.

Ok We have enough receivers can we start stockpiling some depth at tackle. If Cordy gets hurt who plays left tackle ? Pears can't, Hairstons health is unknown and Welch isn't on the team anymore... I'd say we have a huge hole at Tackle behind Cordy. Mathews , Lewan and Robinson can all play right tackle and provide depth at Left.

Edited by oman128

Correct, he won't see that unless he has a pro bowl year.

So you use a 6th rounder for one year of a troubled guy, who is going to get paid well if he has a comeback year? He will want his salary and refuse a restructure that pays him 3-4 mil a year. And maybe lose a guy I think is better than him?

We better be keeping Stevie or else have another major move at WR or TE in the works.

If he stinks we will cut him. If he's average we will cut him or restructure but not be happy with him. If he's good we will pay him 7m. I don't see much likelihood of him being really good and us paying him less.

Wow, hadn't seen the details on this story before.... makes me surprised that Marrone and Moore would take him back... scratching my head now

Curious as to why?

Marrone tried to contact Williams. Williams wasn't available.

Williams owned up to his mistakes.

Unless you think that Marrone is some type of ego-maniacal tyrant what surprises you?

So you use a 6th rounder for one year of a troubled guy, who is going to get paid well if he has a comeback year? He will want his salary and refuse a restructure that pays him 3-4 mil a year. And maybe lose a guy I think is better than him?

We better be keeping Stevie or else have another major move at WR or TE in the works.

If he stinks we will cut him. If he's average we will cut him or restructure but not be happy with him. If he's good we will pay him 7m. I don't see much likelihood of him being really good and us paying him less.

a 6th for a lottery ticket essentially - if he works out, great we have him for 4 years on a fair contract. if he flops he cost us a 6th and hopefully chris hogan.