Bills acquire WR mike Williams

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a tight end. If you want YAC, you get a WR.

Ten years ago? I'd agree with you. Athletic tight ends are all the rage for a reason right? Chandler would be a much better TE if he could block IMO. Instead of YAC maybe I should have said big play potential.

I do agree the short throws weren't exactly smart decisions, but he takes all day to move an inch...

Edited by SmokinES3

If you consider the Bucs were going to cut him, the Bucs did OK in the deal. Buffalo takes a gamble, but not the price was not excessive. Time will tell.

This is how we have to operate. We went after Britt. Didn't work. We went after Jackson. Didn't work. These other guys had options and didn't sign with Buffalo. Getting Williams in a trade for a 6th allows us to grab a guy without having all of the other free agency dynamics come into play. I'm all for pulling out the stops.

One year rental of a guy who can actually play decently well but who has character issues. If he stays clean and plays well the Bills get to choose to keep him at his current salary or to re-negotiate it for a more cap friendly one. I don't see much wrong with this addition.

A better deal than keeping DaRick Rogers I think

Chandler, for half the year, was Fitz's number one endzone target. To the tune of setting the Bills record for TDs in a season by a TE ... in the first 8 games.

Throwing the ball to Chandler, 6 yards out on 3rd and 9 ... that's just not gonna work. It took too long for our coaches to realize it last year.

It was actually a 10 yard route but his leg was still hurting and couldn't get there fast enough. :flirt:

I'm not arguing your point. I think his presence was missed in the redzone last year. His numbers last year were up in every category except TD's. I thought he only tied the TD record though?

Chandler, for half the year, was Fitz's number one endzone target. To the tune of setting the Bills record for TDs in a season by a TE ... in the first 8 games.

Throwing the ball to Chandler, 6 yards out on 3rd and 9 ... that's just not gonna work. It took too long for our coaches to realize it last year.

Thing is, for a dynamic tight end it can work. They are supposed to be a challenge that can out run a linebacker or overpower a safety. Part is he was only 9 months removed from the ACL and wasn't a dynamic athlete before that. The plant and cut up field simply wasn't something he seemed able to accomplish last year. For a big guy he often just looked small (that's both in the run and pass game).

What you reference though does speak to part of why beerball chirping 53 catches didnt impress me as I felt like many ended in disappointment.

He's a good 2, but not a great 1

Edited by NoSaint

Thing is, for a dynamic tight end it can work. They are supposed to be a challenge that can out run a linebacker or overpower a safety. Part is he was only 9 months removed from the ACL and wasn't a dynamic athlete before that. The plant and cut up field simply wasn't something he seemed able to accomplish last year. For a big guy he often just looked small (that's both in the run and pass game).

What you reference though does speak to part of why beerball chirping 53 catches didnt impress me as I felt like many ended in disappointment.

He's a good 2, but not a great 1

I'm with you. We had this discussion after the Chandler signing and I came up with 23 TE (excluding rookies) that I would rather have than Chandler. There were a few that may have been debatable but it seemed by lot accounts it would be tough to put him in the top 20. While there are worse players in the league (and on the team) than Chandler he is not much better than serviceable. He is just such a limited athlete. He would be a good number 2 but a below average #1.

I'm not wrong even with that link. I'm even more right.

According to those numbers, Garcon is better than Calvin Johnson and Julian Edelman is the fourth best receiver in the league. That gives even more support to my blatantly obvious to anyone theory. Thanks for the link.

No ... no, no. No. No. The list doesn't indicate that those with more receptions are better than all of those with less receptions.

My point is this: take the first 20 names in the list (from Garcon to Jackson). How many are NOT above average receivers (or TEs)? Zero.

You stated that the number of receptions is not an indicator of talent or effectiveness. It is my belief that your statement is incorrect.

I think that this is a GREAT signing and really signifies a changing of the guards, taking on edgier players with attitudes! I personally loved it when last year Woods got bounced out of the Dolphin game for throwing a punch, especially that we won the game. Williams is loaded with talent and if anyone really thinks that he is going to embarrass himself in front of his own community then maybe they better think again. Another WR that nobody seems to be talking about much is Ramses Barden. I think that this guy might be the best acquisition of the off season.

I can hardly wait when the likes of Spikes and Williams plays the Patriots, there should be some good fireworks going on in that game. I fully expect Pepper Johnson having that defense jacked up for it at the Ralph!

No ... no, no. No. No. The list doesn't indicate that those with more receptions are better than all of those with less receptions.

My point is this: take the first 20 names in the list (from Garcon to Jackson). How many are NOT above average receivers (or TEs)? Zero.

You stated that the number of receptions is not an indicator of talent or effectiveness. It is my belief that your statement is incorrect.

Act

Actually I said anytime you "just" assign the number of receptions as the indicator, meaning the sole indicator, and that is all you are looking at, it's a useless number. If you are ONLY looking at the number of receptions in your list as the only indicator, what other conclusion could you possibly come to other than Garcon was the best and Edelman the fourth best? I realize this is a semantic argument, but to me, it's proven even more so. To say 53 catches is a good year means zero without context.

Still not quite sure why anyone would be against a OT at #9. This draft is top heavy in OT and TE, meaning, you won't find quality in OT's after Rd 1 and probably won't find quality in TE's after Rd 2. At least the can't miss, and can start and contribute immediately type of players. I like going OT in round 1, TE in round 2 and rush end in round 3 and stop chasing WR's and see how this core develops around EJ. They have 2 proven vets (Stevie and Mike Williams); 2 young promising 2nd year players (woods and Goodwin) and a few long shots (Rasmus, Graham and Easley).

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Anyone here able to post a list of the WR's we have?

Sj13

Marcus Easley

Kevin Elliot

TJ Graham

Marquise Goodwin

Robert Woods

Mike Williams

Chris Hogan

Who else?

Ramseys (however it's spelled) Barden

And I was playing madden just the other day and noticed Streeter. He was a 6'4" 225lber in the game. Actually did quite well for me in preseason. Not quite sure if he's on the team still.

But my guess at the depth chart will be:

Williams

Stevie

Woods

Goodwin

Barden

Easley

Elliot, Graham, and Hogan will all be gone.