Russ Brandon

dailar

I know this thread will undoubtedly garner some negative feedback which I wish it wouldn't but I think it needs to be said. I am so proud of Russ Brandons efforts throughout this last year or so. I think he's handled himself with a massive amount of class and put the Bills on the right road. It was obvious to me this week that not only had he lost his boss and his mentor, he had lost a friend when Mr Wilson passed and has understood that the bills fans, whilst grieving, are seeking some form of continuation. The stadium committee announcement couldn't have been timed better in reality in terms of showing that they are looking for a way to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He showed himself to be one of the people today at the billsmafia tailgate. He is trying to be everything to everyone in my view and I just want to commend his effort. As I said no doubt this thread will have a lot of negative responses but I feel the man has done Buffalo proud. i just hope he is allowed to finish the job that he has started.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this thread will undoubtedly garner some negative feedback which I wish it wouldn't but I think it needs to be said. I am so proud of Russ Brandons efforts throughout this last year or so. I think he's handled himself with a massive amount of class and put the Bills on the right road. It was obvious to me this week that not only had he lost his boss and his mentor, he had lost a friend when Mr Wilson passed and has understood that the bills fans, whilst grieving, are seeking some form of continuation. The stadium committee announcement couldn't have been timed better in reality in terms of showing that they are looking for a way to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He showed himself to be one of the people today at the billsmafia tailgate. He is trying to be everything to everyone in my view and I just want to commend his effort. As I said no doubt this thread will have a lot of negative responses but I feel the man has done Buffalo proud. i just hope he is allowed to finish the job that he has started.

+1...I always get called a Kool-Aid drinker but I agree.

I agree wholeheartedly. While he handled everything with class, even before Mr. Wilson passing but I truly believe that he has this community's best interest and has and is doing everything that he can possibly do to turn things around and also keep this franchise where it belongs and that is in Buffalo. Hopefully he has some kind of influence in this whole thing.

Go Bills!

He was pretty cool today. Talked to a few people. Milled around a little bit. I hope he gets this thing turned around.

Sorry for being out of the loop, but what went on today that RB was at?

Edited by dhg

Russ has Buffalo's best interest at heart and that is all we can truly ask of him. I agree he has demonstrated very good leadership over the past few weeks. Ralph saw something in him. I believe he will honor Ralph's wish to keep the team in Buffalo by finding the proper new owner.

Sorry for being out of the loop, but what went on today that RB was at?

He showed up at the tailgate that was being held for Ralph. He got up on stage and gave a short little speech, talked to news crews, signed autographs, had a drink...

It was pretty cool. My little brother took a picture with him and sent it to my old man. Naturally, he reminded my brother that he still doesn't have a job, and told him that he should have asked Brandon if there were any openings.

I will never forgive him for the the maybin pick when he was GM for 5 minutes.

That was a Jauron pick...It's pretty well known Maybin was dead Dick's guy...Brandon had zero to do with the Draft that year...He's not a personnel guy...Never was, never will be... B-)

He showed up at the tailgate that was being held for Ralph. He got up on stage and gave a short little speech, talked to news crews, signed autographs, had a drink...

It was pretty cool. My little brother took a picture with him and sent it to my old man. Naturally, he reminded my brother that he still doesn't have a job, and told him that he should have asked Brandon if there were any openings.

Haha. Sweet!

Here are a couple things, Russ Brandon now has to run this team period. If he thought it was his to run before, its REALLY his now. I haven't agreed with some of his decisions or indecisions but here is the deal, the man loved Ralph Wilson and he loves the Buffalo Bills. No matter how his decisions go we can't doubt this man loves this team and he is under a ton of pressure now with all the uncertainty. He really needs a clean slate and our support.

I have a different viewpoint of Brandon than most. To me, I think Russ Brandon is fabulous at his job. I'm thrilled he is the face of the franchise while Ralph and now the trust cannot be. I truly believe he has the team's best interest at heart. I'm not sure there is anyone available in the whole country that I would want doing this job more than him.

And yet, I don't believe half of what he says. He sugar coats everything. He will not admit what is obviously true. He is a PR guy in every sense of the word. He will never say anything remotely negative about the team even when it is blatantly true. Usually those two things cannot work concurrently. But in Brandon's case, to me, it's remarkably true.

I think he's great for the Bills, although I rarely believe him when he speaks.

Until further notice, he's a 6-10 President. He may be a great guy with the best intentions in the world, but if all of his efforts don't contribute to a winning franchise on the field, he, unfortunately, lacks something. I don't question his heart, his loyalty or his intentions. I just look at the last 15 years and he is a very classy and persuasive common thread to a team that waffles between irrelevance and mediocrity.

Meh.

Nice person by all accounts. Tries hard, loves the Bills. I have trouble with him when he gets into his corporate speak and his secrecy crap on stuff that really doesn't belong to be kept from the public considering how many millions of dollars in public funding go to the organization.

His interviews are a total waste of time because he's afraid to say anything of substance. Ranging from questions like "Who has the final say on who we draft or what deals we make on draft day" to his exaggerated claims of what the Toronto series did for Buffalo fans, he always seems to have that Tom Donahoe politician-like elusiveness that rubs me the wrong way.

If they financed their own stadium that's one thing, but the second you start taking large taxpayer subsidies in a time when we're cutting educational programs at an alarming rate, you have a responsibility to be reasonably forthcoming with the public regarding the inner workings of your business.

I think a GM's job is to be honest with fans, love your team for the right reasons, and put players and coaches in a position to succeed. And not be a dick (Matt Millen, Belichick) which everybody knows Russ isn't.

Not sure I would say a GM is doing a good job unless your team makes a playoff run every 4 or 5 years, though. That's like saying you think a guy is a great sales rep but he's never once met his quota.

Until further notice, he's a 6-10 President. He may be a great guy with the best intentions in the world, but if all of his efforts don't contribute to a winning franchise on the field, he, unfortunately, lacks something. I don't question his heart, his loyalty or his intentions. I just look at the last 15 years and he is a very classy and persuasive common thread to a team that waffles between irrelevance and mediocrity.

Pretty much the only thing he is supposed to do that has a direct affect on the performance of the team on the field is to hire the Gm and the jury is still out on Whaley. There are little things he may do that trickle down, sure, like the Toronto thing, but that wasnt his decision,.

Meh.

Nice person by all accounts. Tries hard, loves the Bills. I have trouble with him when he gets into his corporate speak and his secrecy crap on stuff that really doesn't belong to be kept from the public considering how many millions of dollars in public funding go to the organization.

His interviews are a total waste of time because he's afraid to say anything of substance. Ranging from questions like "Who has the final say on who we draft or what deals we make on draft day" to his exaggerated claims of what the Toronto series did for Buffalo fans, he always seems to have that Tom Donahoe politician-like elusiveness that rubs me the wrong way.

If they financed their own stadium that's one thing, but the second you start taking large taxpayer subsidies in a time when we're cutting educational programs at an alarming rate, you have a responsibility to be reasonably forthcoming with the public regarding the inner workings of your business.

I think a GM's job is to be honest with fans, love your team for the right reasons, and put players and coaches in a position to succeed. And not be a dick (Matt Millen, Belichick) which everybody knows Russ isn't.

Not sure I would say a GM is doing a good job unless your team makes a playoff run every 4 or 5 years, though. That's like saying you think a guy is a great sales rep but he's never once met his quota.

Good thing he's not the GM then.

I like Russ and he's found his niche with managing the business of the Bills, leaving the football operations to Whaley. For the first time in years, I think we have a team that works in Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone. They are not perfect, but you can see the plan, and how they are making pics in free agency.

And yet, I don't believe half of what he says. He sugar coats everything. He will not admit what is obviously true. He is a PR guy in every sense of the word. He will never say anything remotely negative about the team even when it is blatantly true.

I guess an example of this is when he said, upon taking over the President's duties, that "the brand is tarnished"?

Pretty much the only thing he is supposed to do that has a direct affect on the performance of the team on the field is to hire the Gm and the jury is still out on Whaley. There are little things he may do that trickle down, sure, like the Toronto thing, but that wasnt his decision,.

His presence in the draft room notwithstanding…..

Honestly do people see no difference in the team from 6 years ago? 4 years ago? Granted until the record changes then everyones heads are on the block but the team is so much better now compared to just a few years ago. I think it needs a winning attitude now. No more heartbreaking losses. win those tight games and we are in the playoffs. I think this management team has done a solid job so far.

I have a different viewpoint of Brandon than most. To me, I think Russ Brandon is fabulous at his job. I'm thrilled he is the face of the franchise while Ralph and now the trust cannot be. I truly believe he has the team's best interest at heart. I'm not sure there is anyone available in the whole country that I would want doing this job more than him.

And yet, I don't believe half of what he says. He sugar coats everything. He will not admit what is obviously true. He is a PR guy in every sense of the word. He will never say anything remotely negative about the team even when it is blatantly true. Usually those two things cannot work concurrently. But in Brandon's case, to me, it's remarkably true.

I share your viewpoint on Russ almost entirely and I'll just say this. He has to sell this team to every possible ticket/merchandise buyer he can and so he does. He's the face of this franchise. But he will also own up to unacceptable losses and did what he said he would with the Toronto series. I pay the most attention to him when he's addressing solving issues presently facing the team.

You wouldn't consider Russ talking about how all the losing tarnished the team's reputation as admitting negative?

I don't think I've ever seen someone go from being a dunce to what he's being talked about as right now so fast.

Somehow I'm guessing that the pendulum swings back shortly either after the Draft or otherwise after the season.

We need a bipolar drug dispenser on the way in here.

LOL

They're all still in the mourning phase where truths aren't spoken apparently.

It's one thing to follow the "if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all" axiom for now, but pumping someone up like people are pumping up Brandon is bordline comical.

I'm trying to figure out WTF he's even doing here. We have a GM, Whaley, we have a head coach, Marrone.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Russ Brandon is our best chance of keeping the Bills here long term. He's a local guy who wants nothing more than this franchise to get back to being a powerhouse. We are younger than we ever have been in a lot of key areas (head coach, president, GM) and that's a good thing.

Honestly do people see no difference in the team from 6 years ago? 4 years ago? Granted until the record changes then everyones heads are on the block but the team is so much better now compared to just a few years ago. I think it needs a winning attitude now. No more heartbreaking losses. win those tight games and we are in the playoffs. I think this management team has done a solid job so far.

Honestly…no they are not better. 6-10 is 6-10. This team is still 1/2 dozen players away from relevance and doesn't really know whether they have a QB or not.