Russ Brandon

dailar

Here are a couple things, Russ Brandon now has to run this team period. If he thought it was his to run before, its REALLY his now. I haven't agreed with some of his decisions or indecisions but here is the deal, the man loved Ralph Wilson and he loves the Buffalo Bills. No matter how his decisions go we can't doubt this man loves this team and he is under a ton of pressure now with all the uncertainty. He really needs a clean slate and our support.

He's had our support the entire time he's been here.

He's expendable and should be released and the running of the team turned over to someone that knows and understands football in modern America more. He's in well over his head just like most of the people in the most key positions on the team.

Russ Brandon is our best chance of keeping the Bills here long term. He's a local guy who wants nothing more than this franchise to get back to being a powerhouse. We are younger than we ever have been in a lot of key areas (head coach, president, GM) and that's a good thing.

Talk about shooting hope in the knees. What Brandon says or does has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the future disposition of the team, if you think he does then you're being naive.

Edited by TaskersGhost

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to figure out WTF he's even doing here. We have a GM, Whaley, we have a head coach, Marrone.

RB is their boss. The president is above GM and head coach on the org chart. I believe that they are each direct reports to RB. I know that Whaley is for sure and I believe that Marrone reports to Russ and not Whaley.

Honestly…no they are not better. 6-10 is 6-10. This team is still 1/2 dozen players away from relevance and doesn't really know whether they have a QB or not.

+100

Russ Brandon is supposed to make money for the Buffalo Bills. That's what he does and that's all he does.

Russ is from Syracuse. I am from Syracuse. We Syracuse people are penny pinching cynics.

Honestly…no they are not better. 6-10 is 6-10. This team is still 1/2 dozen players away from relevance and doesn't really know whether they have a QB or not.

I see them regressing this year in terms of record as well. Marrone's clearly in over his head, Hackett shouldn't even be in the NFL, and with Schwartz, who knows, but honestly, he was a terrible head coach. I'm afraid that Schwartz is going to be the anti-Pettine and overemphasize the rushing D, which is equally if not more issue-laden in today's NFL. We'll see, but I'm hardly enamored with the hire.

RB is their boss. The president is above GM and head coach on the org chart. I believe that they are each direct reports to RB. I know that Whaley is for sure and I believe that Marrone reports to Russ and not Whaley.

Thank you, ... I didn't mean on paper, I meant practically speaking. Most teams let the GM run the team who in turn hires the coaches, and when that's not the case it's usually due to a meddling owner like Jerry Jones.

Brandon is nothing but a PR man, period. Is that really necessary? Maybe in Buffalo it is given all of the soap opera like issues related to the team in recent years, but from a football perspective he has no role.

I don't believe Ralph's death will change the internal power structure of the organization very much in the near term. I have very little doubt Littmann is the chief executor of the trust/estate and day to day operations of the Bills will be handled by Brandon. It remains to be seen if Mary Wilson jumps in like Georgia Fontiere here.

Brandon is nothing but a PR man, period. Is that really necessary? Maybe in Buffalo it is given all of the soap opera like issues related to the team in recent years, but from a football perspective he has no role.

Do you honestly think he has no role? He sits in daily meetings with Whaley and Marrone and has zero role?

+100

Russ Brandon is supposed to make money for the Buffalo Bills. That's what he does and that's all he does.

Russ is from Syracuse. I am from Syracuse. We Syracuse people are penny pinching cynics.

Brandon sells the proverbial ice to an eskimo. He sold off his integrity years ago when he became a politician-like figurehead for the team promising improvement year after year. If anything he said were true during that stretch then we've have made the playoffs the last six seasons and won the Super Bowl the last two.

About the biggest thing he did was moving camp to Rochester/Fisher, but BFD, such a small percentage of fans were even able to benefit from that, and none of it had to do with success, again, merely PR stuff, that it borders on irrelevant. I'd have preferred the team staying in Fredonia if it were going to help them play competent football come the fall. Don't get me wrong, moving camp to Fisher was a good idea, but it's also largely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

I don't believe Ralph's death will change the internal power structure of the organization very much in the near term. I have very little doubt Littmann is the chief executor of the trust/estate and day to day operations of the Bills will be handled by Brandon. It remains to be seen if Mary Wilson jumps in like Georgia Fontiere here.

Do you honestly think he has no role? He sits in daily meetings with Whaley, Marrone, and Overdorf and has zero role?

From a football perspective, yes, he has little if any relevant role. And what he does have, ... please tell me what, should easily be able to be handled by a GM like every other team in the NFL does it.

Brandon is only where he is because he's a "local boy" of sorts, but primarily because Wilson trusted him, and not for any other reason.

His promotion was widely criticized at the time and only now is being spoken of fondly upon Wilson's death. He was good when he was in charge of ticket sales, but he's been given way way way too much power and authority for the good of the team from a football perspective otherwise whether or not he yields it or not also being irrelevant.

Edited by TaskersGhost

From a football perspective, yes, he has little if any relevant role. And what he does have, ... please tell me what, should easily be able to be handled by a GM like every other team in the NFL does it.

It seems when Whaley was talking about Russ and Overdorf handling the negotiations with Byrd's people that that might be directly related to football.

His promotion was widely criticized at the time and only now is being spoken of fondly upon Wilson's death. He was good when he was in charge of ticket sales, but he's been given way way way too much power and authority for the good of the team from a football perspective otherwise whether or not he yields it or not also being irrelevant.

Now, I'm very confused. If he has no power, how is it he has too much power?

FWIW, I don't believe he hasn't got any power. He's deeply involved in everything that is going on with respect to this football team. He may be driving consensus, but I have little doubt he has his input. Both the good and the bad fall on him these days; the buck stops at his desk.

Brandon sells the proverbial ice to an eskimo. He sold off his integrity years ago when he became a politician-like figurehead for the team promising improvement year after year. If anything he said were true during that stretch then we've have made the playoffs the last six seasons and won the Super Bowl the last two.

About the biggest thing he did was moving camp to Rochester/Fisher, but BFD, such a small percentage of fans were even able to benefit from that, and none of it had to do with success, again, merely PR stuff, that it borders on irrelevant. I'd have preferred the team staying in Fredonia if it were going to help them play competent football come the fall. Don't get me wrong, moving camp to Fisher was a good idea, but it's also largely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Brandon is only where he is because he's a "local boy" of sorts, but primarily because Wilson trusted him, and not for any other reason.

You do realize that the Bills aren't the only team with a President, right? And that more goes into the business of football than just football? Like ticket prices, promotions, stadium upkeep, concessions, parking, infrastructure improvement etc.

Edited by FireChan

He showed up at the tailgate that was being held for Ralph. He got up on stage and gave a short little speech, talked to news crews, signed autographs, had a drink...

It was pretty cool. My little brother took a picture with him and sent it to my old man. Naturally, he reminded my brother that he still doesn't have a job, and told him that he should have asked Brandon if there were any openings.

How is your brothers arm and can he read defenses? ;)

I agree with most that Brandon is generally doing a good job and it was nice of him to go to the tailgate yesterday.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Thank you, ... I didn't mean on paper, I meant practically speaking. Most teams let the GM run the team who in turn hires the coaches, and when that's not the case it's usually due to a meddling owner like Jerry Jones.

That has never been the case in Buffalo. RB has had his hands in EVERYTHING good and bad for about the last decade (since Donahoe). His role is to represent the owner's wishes. That is the case in a lot of organizations.

You do realize that the Bills aren't the only team with a President, right? And that more goes into the business of football than just football? Like ticket prices, promotions, stadium upkeep, concessions, parking, infrastructure improvement etc.

Sorry, those aren't football related things.

The Bills, I think, are the only team that has a president/CEO and one that has made more decisions that the owner typically makes. Other owners haven't been incapable of making good decisions for an extended period of time, and therefore most presidents don't have near the power that Brandon has.

You know this, what kind of game are you playing here? If you don't want the truth, then just accept lies.

It seems when Whaley was talking about Russ and Overdorf handling the negotiations with Byrd's people that that might be directly related to football.

Correct, ultimately Russ give a yes or no. The football people may target a player but it comes down to Russ to decide. This used to be where he would have to run stuff past Ralph and Littman. As of last year Littman and Ralph stepped away from that part. Overdorf does the actual negotiating and tries to for said player into said budget. Overdorf does not decide on the financial commitment that the organization is willing to make.

That has never been the case in Buffalo. RB has had his hands in EVERYTHING good and bad for about the last decade (since Donahoe). His role is to represent the owner's wishes. That is the case in a lot of organizations.

Yes, far too much with most of it being well outside of his area of expertise and therefore competence.

That's pretty much my point. He has far too much power for the team's good. He shouldn't have it.

On paper it's good, in theory he's been a huge part of the reason for the lack of the team's success.

You cannot have it both ways.

Yes, far too much with most of it being well outside of his area of expertise and therefore competence.

That's pretty much my point. He has far too much power for the team's good. He shouldn't have it.

On paper it's good, in theory he's been a huge part of the reason for the lack of the team's success.

You cannot have it both ways.

He does have LOTS of power. There is no denying that. I happen to think (know) that Littman was the problem in the past. Time will tell if it is a good thing or not but I think that RB having the final decision (instead of Littman) is a huge positive.

He does have LOTS of power. There is no denying that. I happen to think (know) that Littman was the problem in the past. Time will tell if it is a good thing or not but I think that RB having the final decision (instead of Littman) is a huge positive.

We'll see, but there is nothing historically to indicate that things will change. Brandon's been a part of the process either way.

As has been mentioned here repeatedly by a number of people, it's the entire front office and coaching staff.

I still say that Marrone's going to tank, perhaps at least partially as a result of his friendship and choice of Hackett who's clealry an anchor that's dragging the ship under and a coach that hasn't earned the right to coach in the NFL. And while Schwartz may correct some things, my early analysis tells me that he's going to lapse in some things as well likely resulting in a net-zero type of change.

As to Whaley, everyone gives him credit for all the positives involving the FO but none of the responsibility for the many failures since he's been here as the Asst. GM with everyone insisting that Nix was nothing but a figurehead in hindsight. Can't anyone see the lack of logic there?

We'll see, but to me this whole thing is simply the next installment and upgrade of the rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

But, Littmann isn't going anywhere under the current assumptions. Brandon cannot operate the franchise outside or in opposition to the guidelines imposed by the trust/estate. (Besides, Littmann really never was the sort of attorney and money-manager that showed up at the combine to scout prospects, etc.)

But, Littmann isn't going anywhere under the current assumptions. Brandon cannot operate the franchise outside or in opposition to the guidelines imposed by the trust/estate. (Besides, Littmann really never was the sort of attorney and money-manager that showed up at the combine to scout prospects, etc.)

No, but Littman give a thumbs up or thumbs down to every financial decision. That is what changed last year. RB does not need to get a yes or no anymore. He decides.

Just like with anyone in life, people make mistakes and there's no doubt Russ has made his (especially when he was GM). But I feel he has a lot of good ideas, good intentions, and is trying very hard to turn the Bills around, so I have to give him a lot of credit for that.

No, but Littman give a thumbs up or thumbs down to every financial decision. That is what changed last year. RB does not need to get a yes or no anymore. He decides.

I some sense, does that matter? If the money guys in Detroit are still setting the overall operating plan of the business, can we really take it that Brandon getting to make the decisions to spend a little less on patching potholes in the parking lots and a little more on stadium security as evidence of a major shakeup in policy?