Chandler not at media portion of practice today

goynahan

Oh wait trade deadline has passed. cut?

I literally hold my breath everytime a ball is thrown his way because it seems he's good for a drop/fumble quite frequently. He makes alot of great plays and has shown good hands and the ability to get open but he might be more unreliable than stevie in a big moment.

Edited by goynahan

Per Chris Brown's tweet. Traded? Cut?

certainly not traded, as its well past the deadline.

cutting him a month early would seem silly - may as well let him count in our comp pick equation as an expiring contract and i doubt were going with gragg and smith as our TEs this week.

im going with "tending to other business or treatment" as my own throwing things at the wall guess.

Edited by NoSaint

Oh wait trade deadline has passed. cut?

I literally hold my breath everytime a ball is thrown his way because it seems he's good for a drop/fumble quite frequently. He makes alot of great plays and has shown good hands and the ability to get open but he might be more unreliable than stevie in a big moment.

chandler definitely seems to be have a sub-par year. he has lot a lot of really bad drops this year and hasn't come close to making the plays he has in the past. he's never been a fast guy or a strong blocker, but he has that huge reach and has, in the past, had really good hands. seems like a good guy, good teammate, good player. i hope he can get his head right, because i thinik that he is a valuable player to this team when he is right.

just some extra info I meant to post earlier. good ol' scotty has 4 fumbles in 123 career catches. Here's some other TE #s

A Gates - 5 fumbles in 706 career catches

J Witten - 5 fumbles in 860 career catches

T Gonzalez - 6 fumbles in 1304 career catches

B Celek - 1 fumble in 303 career catches

not at all saying he's in their league, but holding onto the ball is holding on the ball and the dude has a serious problem with it

Edited by goynahan

Chandler is typically the biggest guy on the field. But he certainly doesn't play up to his size. He should be swatting these 190 pound corners off of him like flies. I've seen enough, I'm ready for the Bills to get a more athletic tight end or take a chance on a former basketball player like the Chargers did with Antonio Gates

Yes Chandler is having a subpar season, and I think the biggest problem with that is how the Bills have used him this season.

Whose idea was it to have Chandler roll out to be a check down option? That has been one of the worst plays the Bills have run all season.

Chandler is much better in the open field, and he can get first downs. I know he has had fumble issues, that is no excuse for not using your Tight End correctly.

Bills management probably decided to make him unavailable so he wouldn't have to answer questions about you-know-what.

Whenever I've seen him on TV without his helmet on, he reminded me of someone, but I couldn't place it. Finally figured it out. He reminds me of Butthead, as in Bevis and... Anyone else notice the resemblance?

Yes Chandler is having a subpar season, and I think the biggest problem with that is how the Bills have used him this season.

Whose idea was it to have Chandler roll out to be a check down option? That has been one of the worst plays the Bills have run all season.

Chandler is much better in the open field, and he can get first downs. I know he has had fumble issues, that is no excuse for not using your Tight End correctly.

That's what she said.

what a bunch of jamokes, trashing Chandler, throwing out conspiracy theories

blah blah blah

Congrats to the Chandlers on their soon to be baby

at least someone did some research :thumbsup:

Damn! Another turnover. :doh:

@buffalobills

Doug Marrone: Scott Chandler DNP today. He and his wife are expecting the birth of their child soon.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Lets not forget so quickly that Gailey had Chandler performing pretty darned well.

I think he has been miscast this season and suffered. And the major injury has taken away what little spring he had .

That being said i would prefer to think he still has value if used to his strengths . and he is a for sure a good teamate and thankful to be given the chance.

Coach Hackett please just let a little of C. Gaileys play calling bleed into yours ! Spiller, SJ and S Chandler would benefit from that i bet.

Congrats Scott and family !!!!

When people say, "having a subpar year", what exactly are you referring to?

He is on pace for career highs in catches and yards. He is currently 15th best in the league among TEs for catches and yards.

He is actually on pace to finish with the second-most receiving yards by a tight end in franchise single-season history, second only to the legendary Paul Costa in 1967. That's more than Metzelaars, more than McKellar.

This is all after coming back incredibly fast from a bad knee injury at the end of last season.

He has one fumble on the season. Yes, it was a big one. Yes, his TD numbers are down from previous years. No, he is not an elite talent, and yes, I'd like to see someone more dominating at the position. But I'm still trying to understand how this all equates to a sub-par year.

Chandler, like David Nelson, Donald Jones and Stevie Johnson are basically products of Chan Gailey's system, IMO. Now that Chan is gone those guys won't be far behind. Obviously Nelson and Jones are already out. I suspect that Chandler and Johnson will both be replaced within a couple of years, max.

Edited by vincec

He is on pace for career highs in catches and yards. He is currently 15th best in the league among TEs for catches and yards.

He is actually on pace to finish with the second-most receiving yards by a tight end in franchise single-season history, second only to the legendary Paul Costa in 1967. That's more than Metzelaars, more than McKellar.

This is all after coming back incredibly fast from a bad knee injury at the end of last season.

He has one fumble on the season. Yes, it was a big one. Yes, his TD numbers are down from previous years. No, he is not an elite talent, and yes, I'd like to see someone more dominating at the position. But I'm still trying to understand how this all equates to a sub-par year.

May i suggest he has had some drops , or lack of extension for seemingly well thrown balls ? But his blocking , or lack of it has been very noticable and defined some plays and or drives . as i have said i like the guy but he has struggled with execution this year. Thats just my opinion and i dont do stats

don't mind them they are a bunch of Rubes.

and if you really think about it

If it wasn't for Chandler this team could be 0-12

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Chandler is typically the biggest guy on the field. But he certainly doesn't play up to his size. He should be swatting these 190 pound corners off of him like flies. I've seen enough, I'm ready for the Bills to get a more athletic tight end or take a chance on a former basketball player like the Chargers did with Antonio Gates

This is my beef with him. Everyone drops now and again, everyone fumbles, learn from it, move on. But Chandler just doesn't play up to his size, in any role.

This is my beef with him. Everyone drops now and again, everyone fumbles, learn from it, move on. But Chandler just doesn't play up to his size, in any role.

I am kind of surprised by the hostility at Chandler but I gotta' wonder if he played with a winning organization if expectations of his performance wouldn't be higher and subsequently his preparation might be different. Elite teams are in dogfight games A LOT. Their players know when they have to raise their game because they are in those situations a lot.

I was re-watching the Toronto game and the exact same route Stevie ran on his infamous fumble was run by him earlier in the game. But, of course, he was able to easily get out of bounds the first time. However, at the end of the game a now desperate defender chased him down and attacked the football knowing that a tackle at that point wasn't going to do his team much good. A player on a team that is used to playing in big games KNOWS to expects this. A loser does not. I don't think Chandler was born a loser, but that is the problem with losing.......it's contagious.....and pretty soon even your head coach starts lamenting how hard it is to win in the NFL. I have to wonder if perhaps Chandler would also have worked harder on how to hold the football......and perhaps even arm strength......if one of his previous fumbles had been for a more demanding organization.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

He fumbled the practice schedule.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Only after watching SJ do the exact same thing 30 seconds before!

You are correct that he is having a good year. I think most people's frustration is that he could be having an even better year.

I think you are somewhat confusing production as a #1 TE that's stayed healthy and received targets, with having a good year. I think most good tight ends would do more with the opportunities he's got - even if he's got more yards than our tight ends in an era with 40% less passing yards being racked up by teams

@buffalobills

Doug Marrone: Scott Chandler DNP today. He and his wife are expecting the birth of their child soon.

I love that several hours after this was posted there are still those that think it's all a conspiracy.

And maybe it is, how did Chandler know to know his wife up so far in advance that he would miss media day after a killer fumble? Did Goodell let him know in advance which game he would be throwing?

Also, Gug won the thread. Choice's life was in your hands Dude Chandler...

Agreed. Chandler's run blocking has got increasingly worse during his career, and it was never good to begin with. His only positive is that he has good hands for a guy his size, he was a former WR. But he doesn't really use his size.

I think you are somewhat confusing production as a #1 TE that's stayed healthy and received targets, with having a good year. I think most good tight ends would do more with the opportunities he's got - even if he's got more yards than our tight ends in an era with 40% less passing yards being racked up by teams

So even though his performance is on par with his best yet, and is statistically better than half the starting TEs in the league, we're not satisfied because he should be doing better?

Not that I'm totally arguing that -- I do think a ruthless review of the roster needs to identify guys who are just "good". I'm just not sure I would qualify his year as "sub-par".