Hacketts scheme is a major issue!

There is no creativity in the offense whatsoever

If they are going to be conservative bc of EJ then dump the up tempo BS bc you can't hv a conservative faced paced offense

I don't get Hacketts thinking calling the same running play all game long especially when it never seems to work very well

I don't get why the middle of the field is ignored

Edited by Max997

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Chan's undoing was Wannstedt.

Chan was an unbelievably smart offensive mind. Hackett is a rookie.

There really was no reason to get rid of the offense that we had. It scored points it moved the ball etc....We should have kept some of the playbook

I agree, Hackett is going through some growing pains. For all Gailey's weaknesses and stubborness, he designed fantastic plays that worked very effectively at getting guys open

Time and again Gannon showed how the Bills receivers were covered up with nowehre to throw the ball, even when EJ had some time.

Ryan is just a great DC and the Jets are one of the few teams that can bring presure but still give you nowhere to throw the ball as the same time.

This. Sometimes you've gotta tip your hat.

Our talent is not good enough yet - not in protection and not at TE, which are two areas that can really help if you're trying to beat a Rex Ryan defense. The hole at LG needs to be filled, and a great receiving TE would do wonders for this team.

I have seen plays where every receiver runs ten yards and stands there, I think the int on the pass to tj was one of them. Every time I see this play the defense has it covered perfectly and there is almost no chance it works yet hack calls again. Everyone and their grandmothers knows what is coming its so frustrating watching

EJ looked like a rookie today, no surprise there. Horrible protection all day, major footwork issues. That last throw out of bounds was made off one foot at a horrible angle. No way to get an accurate throw like that. Just terrible pass pro, and no scheme at all by Hackett to make things easier for his rookie QB. Where does one start? All kinds of called runs on 1st down= 2nd and longs all day. Anyone should know the Jets run D will not give you any 1st down yardage. No screens to slow down the rush. No boots or play action. Hackett is pretty awful as a coordinator and his "rookieness" showed even more than EJ's to any seasoned football observer. You can't hide a rookie QB, but you don't play right into the teeth of the defense either. Hackett was absolutely schooled today.

Yeah, remember how good our screen game was last year under Gailey? Possbily best in NFL.

EJ did run a naked boot for a first down today, a play I was screaming for against Carolina on 3rd and goal from the 2 last week on the series we threw 2 fade passes on 2nd and 3rd down...he would have walked into the endzone last week...

Yeah, Gailey was a brilliant play designer. I dunno whats worse, seeing guys running wide open but not having a QB that can get them the ball or having good enough players but having them all covered because of poor play design...

Yeah, Gailey was a brilliant play designer. I dunno whats worse, seeing guys running wide open but not having a QB that can get them the ball or having good enough players but having them all covered because of poor play design...

You can say that again.

No designing a scheme utilizing Spiller in space.

No bubble screens to speed receivers. No HB screens to Jackson or Spiller.

No use of rollouts and taking advantage of a mobile quarterback. No misdirection

No use of clock management before half-time.

What do you guys think?

Hackett is in way over his head.

You have summed up what I have been feeling in the first 3 weeks. Especially on the your first 3 points.

Screens would have worked like a charm today.

Edited by VADC Bills

My problems with hacketts scheme:

1) Playbook is too limited. With some formation differences, to my eye, it looks like we come into the game with maybe 5 base running and 6-7 base passing plays. It just becomes way too predictable when you are running so few plays.

2) play calls are too obvious based on down. A lot of jauron specials-- run, run, pass. (He could probably benefit if we slowed things down, so he could take more time to think through the calls).

3) not enough "trick" or "misdirection" plays. What I mean by this is not only gadget plays, but draws, screens, play action roll outs, reverses, etc.

4) redzone play calling. Really bad and predictable.

Correct me if I am wrong (as if that is a problem for this board) but, at the end of the first half we had the ball 3rd and long around our 30 with 50-some seconds left, Jets have one time out. We line up and snap the ball with 24 seconds on the play clock. Other than say Philadelphia, what major league team would not have bled the clock down to about 30 seconds or forced the opposing team to call its final time out??? No we throw pass. What supreme utter stupidity. They don't do this crap in high school. Cost us a field goal. Hackett should have been taken off the mike then and there.

Correct me if I am wrong (as if that is a problem for this board) but, at the end of the first half we had the ball 3rd and long around our 30 with 50-some seconds left, Jets have one time out. We line up and snap the ball with 24 seconds on the play clock. Other than say Philadelphia, what major league team would not have bled the clock down to about 30 seconds or forced the opposing team to call its final time out??? No we throw pass. What supreme utter stupidity. They don't do this crap in high school. Cost us a field goal. Hackett should have been taken off the mike then and there.

Hard to believe but you're right. Sticking to this crap with no regard for the situation will continue to get us nowhere fast.

With a rookie QB, installing a new Offense shouldn't Hackett be on the sidelines with his players? I hate coaches who stay in the box upstairs.

Hackett should be down there with EJ and the offense showing the the print outs and going over what the D is doing...

Oh wait what am I talking about Hackett only knows 6 plays :wallbash:

CJ Spiller up the middle... could we eliminate this from the playbook?

There's a reason the guy got hurt today. He is not built for that ****. He is built for taking it to the house on a bubble screen or bursting through on a play action. There is not one good reason this team can't use both him and FredEx, yet no one seems to be able to come up with the formula.

You read Hacketts resume and its pretty underwhelming. Prior NFL offense coaching exerrience, offensive quaility control coach of the 2006-7 Bucs and 2008-9 Bills, that isnt even coordinator or a position coach. I think he's finding out it was a lot easier game planning for defenses like WVU's swiss cheese or the likes of UConn, and Pitt. 2003

2006-2007

2008-2009

2011-2012

2013-present

University of California, Davis

(Assistant Linebackers Coach)

Stanford University

(Offensive Assistant)

Stanford University

(Coordinator's Assistant)

Stanford University

(Recruiting Coordinator)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

(Offensive Quality Control)

Buffalo Bills

Syracuse University

(Quarterbacks/Tight Ends)

Syracuse University

(Offensive Coordinator)

Buffalo Bills

(Offensive Coordinator)

I don't think EJ can throw screens TBH he puts to much touch on his throw so by the time it gets to the RB half the defense is there.

That's what practice is for...

We were one of the best screen teams in the NFL last year...You think Hackett and Marrone would have picked up on that fact...They better come up with something other than running into the middle of the line for no gain on 1st Down...Then doing the same on 2nd down...It's really pathetic...

That being said I fully expected the Jets D to play well in this game...And I fully expected EJ to struggle a bit in his first NFL road game...What I did not expect was the Jets to hit two deep balls for TD's...That was the difference in the game IMHO...The Offense was terrible, but if we have Gilmore, McLovin, and Brooks out there at CB I think the Bills actually win this game... B-)

You read Hacketts resume and its pretty underwhelming. Prior NFL offense coaching exerrience, offensive quaility control coach of the 2006-7 Bucs and 2008-9 Bills, that isnt even coordinator or a position coach. I think he's finding out it was a lot easier game planning for defenses like WVU's swiss cheese or the likes of UConn, and Pitt. 2003

2006-2007

2008-2009

2011-2012

2013-present

University of California, Davis

(Assistant Linebackers Coach)

Stanford University

(Offensive Assistant)

Stanford University

(Coordinator's Assistant)

Stanford University

(Recruiting Coordinator)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Buffalo Bills

Syracuse University

(Quarterbacks/Tight Ends)

Syracuse University

(Offensive Coordinator)

Buffalo Bills

(Offensive Coordinator)

I'm sorry, are we talking about boobs here?

They also did it on 2nd down after a sack on about their own 20, which was equally as stupid.

and after all of the shotgun, the last two plays, from about the 2, WHERE BOTH FROM UNDER CENTER!!!!! I was laughing my arse off. We have 5 plays from under center all day and two of them are with 30 seconds left int he game, when they know we are going to pass? WTF!?!?!?!

Hackett CLEARLY grew up playing Madden...his play calling is on par with the 19 y.o. stoners playing Madden over the internet.

I was actually thinking that the fans should buy Hacket a playstation so he could hit square for the "ask madden" playcalling tool. That could really help him.

No use of rollouts and taking advantage of a mobile quarterback. No misdirection

What do you guys think?

Spiller on the outside, Jackson on the inside. Put them out together. Duh!,,

spiller couldn't find space right now even if he was put aboard a nasa shuttle.

i suspect, looking at it after the fact, the bubble screens were out because the OL was getting stood up the entire day

the rolll outs and misdirection are usually a byproduct of an effective over the middle passing scheme. we did not and do not have that - we need a TE over the middle or a good slot wr to let sj13 be sj13

the clock management was confounding.

hackett is not in over his head - yet. he was outcoached by rex ryan who is a very good football coach, just some times a ****ty head coach

Agreed, but they (misdirection and screens) combat agressive D-Line play. Fact is, they never even tried to see if they could catch them overcommitting, one way or the other.

The problem I see is accountability. Whose holding Hackett accountable for crappy play calling? He's the damn OC for crying out loud... Is anyone in his face saying what the hell was that? Where is the dynamic play calling we were hoping to see? That was the most vanilla game plan I have ever seen by any Bills team. I'm okay with not making the playoffs this year but we have to know that there is more to his schemes than what we saw yesterday. GET RID OF THE FREAKIN SHOTGUN RB DRAWS UP THE MIDDLE FOR 1 yard. Bring in an I formation, run a sweep, offtackle or toss to CJ he's not an up the middle guy and it doesn't take a NFL caliber OC to know that.

Edited by MClem06

This loss can be summarized and explained rather easily:

1. Rex Ryan had 10 days to prepare his top 10 defense to face a rookie QB.

The END.

I understand its fun to make fun of Rex, but Marrone and Hackett still have a lot to learn in this league.

Lol yes let's blame 10 days. I bet the same would have happened if t was 7

The problems I see with the offensive play calling are: (a) it doesn't put our players in their best chance for success, e.g., nothing creative to get the ball to CJ in space; (b) it's not giving EJ enough simple throws to grow his confidence, e.g., Alex Smith and KC offense; © it's too predictable, e.g., called all passes the last three possessions allowing NYJ defense to tee off. Hackett is out of his league right now, this is a horrible way to break in our new franchise QB.

What do you guys think?

Agree

I'm disappointed in the lack of a screen game..... the number one way to slow down a blitz is to use their aggressiveness against them. The Patriots have literally dissected the Jets aggressiveness with bubble screens, slants, and RB screens. Terrible playcalling, terrible execution, terrible football yesterday.

Lol yes let's blame 10 days. I bet the same would have happened if t was 7

Im not using the 10 dyays as an excuse. Its just common sense. An elite defensive coach with a very good defense having 3 extra days to gameplan vs an unexperienced coaching staff and a rookie QB is a recipe for disaster.

Im not the fool who was on here saying this was going to be an easy win a week ago; drinking the cool aid.

This loss can be summarized and explained rather easily:

1. Rex Ryan had 10 days to prepare his top 10 defense to face a rookie QB.

The END.

I understand its fun to make fun of Rex, but Marrone and Hackett still have a lot to learn in this league.

That is the problem. This is the NFL. Hackett and any OC should have proven they belonged here. He has trouble adjusting mid game it would appear. I base this off a few things from the first weeks of this young season. Running Spiller into the middle of the D line is silly. Running anyone into the Jets Dline is silly. It will be unsuccessful more then successful. And i do understand about trying to establish the run or keep a d honest. But since Hackett hardly ever used play action, why try to force the run???

There is a saying when it comes to coaching and adjusting-

In High School you watch the game on Saturday and make adjustments for next week.

In College you make adjustments at half.

In the pro's you make adjustments all game long.

To me Hackett has shown little ability to make adjustments during the game. I hope he can adjust to the speed of the game, right now he is not cutting it to me.

this

Coming from you this actually makes EJ look better.

You are the same poster who wanted a Mario for Skelton.

Tim Teabow.

Landry Jones.

Etc....

That is the problem. This is the NFL. Hackett and any OC should have proven they belonged here. He has trouble adjusting mid game it would appear. I base this off a few things from the first weeks of this young season. Running Spiller into the middle of the D line is silly. Running anyone into the Jets Dline is silly. It will be unsuccessful more then successful. And i do understand about trying to establish the run or keep a d honest. But since Hackett hardly ever used play action, why try to force the run???

There is a saying when it comes to coaching and adjusting-

In High School you watch the game on Saturday and make adjustments for next week.

In College you make adjustments at half.

In the pro's you make adjustments all game long.

To me Hackett has shown little ability to make adjustments during the game. I hope he can adjust to the speed of the game, right now he is not cutting it to me.

Coming from you this actually makes EJ look better.

You are the same poster who wanted a Mario for Skelton.

Tim Teabow.

Landry Jones.

Etc....

Unfortunately I have to agree with your points. I was excited about the Marrone hiring, but I think most of us were concerned about the Hackett signing - and we're starting to see why. We're not playing college defenses; the likes of Rex Ryan, Bellichek and Harbaugh will tear this offense to shreds if we don't make changes.

EJ looks like he is in over his head TBH. Hackett wasn't the guy throwing out of bounds.

EJ will be fine. The Jets had an extra few days to prepare after playing on Thursday night and they did a good job. The Bills had a rough day for sure and EJ was pressured all day. He did play better in the second half, but to be fair, they were in his face most of the day and the secondary had good coverage. Bad day at the office, but it's only one game.