Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess my first comment is that nearly $7M of their current cap allocation is being used on Byrd, so we have to consider that as well.

As for what I'd do...let's see:

Extend Chandler

Extend Carrington

Extend Dareus (assuming he plays up to his potential)

Re-open negotiations with Byrd

Start long-term talks with Spiller

Chase a top-flight CB in free agency

Sign a capable LG and swing tackle (who can also take over for Pears at RT when his contract runs out) in free agency

Pursue an experienced backup QB

Sign a situational pass rusher in free agency

Those kinds of things.

Are you suggesting the cap is a fluid dynamic relative to the very confined constructs of building and maintaining a team? Next thing you know, teams will hire people just to manage the cap. A "cap expert" if you will.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Well, I guess my first comment is that nearly $7M of their current cap allocation is being used on Byrd, so we have to consider that as well.

As for what I'd do...let's see:

Extend Chandler

Extend Carrington

Extend Dareus (assuming he plays up to his potential)

Re-open negotiations with Byrd

Start long-term talks with Spiller

Chase a top-flight CB in free agency

Sign a capable LG and swing tackle (who can also take over for Pears at RT when his contract runs out) in free agency

Pursue an experienced backup QB

Sign a situational pass rusher in free agency

Those kinds of things.

Extend Chandler - MEDIOCRE HANDS, LOUSY BLOCKER

Extend Carrington - MEDIOCRE EVERYTHING

Extend Dareus (assuming he plays up to his potential) GETTING PUSHED AROUND ON RUNNING PLAYS

Re-open negotiations with Byrd - WORTH KEEPING

Start long-term talks with Spiller - NO NEED, UNDER TEAM CONTROL FOR 3 SEASONS THRU 2015

Chase a top-flight CB in free agency - AGREE

Sign a capable LG and swing tackle (who can also take over for Pears at RT when his contract runs out) in free agency - SHOULD HAVE PAID LEVITRE

Pursue an experienced backup QB - AGREE

Sign a situational pass rusher in free agency - THINK YOUR GOING TO LIKE JERRY HUGHES

Edited by papazoid

Bills free safety Jairus Byrdicon-article-link.gif has been limited in practice all week long as he tries to get his ailing feet back to 100 percent health. On Friday Doug Marrone painted a bleak picture for the Pro Bowl safety concerning his chances of playing in Sunday’s season opener against the Patriots.

“Byrd has the foot that we’re all aware of and he’s doubtful,” said Marrone following Friday’s practice. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Jairus-Byrd-doubtful-for-Sunday/6414836b-467f-43dc-b63d-81ddb72ef122 I guess 8 months off was not enough healing time

I believe it is only 1 more season after this. Spiller has the option to void the last year of his contract if he wants to.

I don't see any reason for the Bills to wait.

there is no option out....he is signed thru 2015. UFA in 2016

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/c.j.-spiller/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

I know I've been dogging Byrd...

but for the record I would have paid Byrd what Parker was asking.....that's right, you heard me.

lets assume the bills offered Top 4-5 money at $8.25 mil/year and Parker wanted $9 mil /year.

are you kidding me ???? we have a stalemate over less than $1 million a year for a Pro Bowl player ?????

Levitre, Wood & Byrd are the type of players you slightly overpay for.

You don't seem to want to let go of the $8,25M figure and Benigni's tweet. Byrd is a FS, and if he was offered top 4-5 FS money, that's in the low $7M neighborhood. The conventional wisdom says that when a team offers $2M less than Parker's magic number, he ignores it. If the Bills were within $750K, a deal could have been done. They weren't, mostly likely because of the value the team placed on Byrd, his PF, and a new scheme, which presents enough unknowns to make the Bills wary of committing big $.

there is no option out....he is signed thru 2015. UFA in 2016

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/c.j.-spiller/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

I've seen the last year being void able a few places. The contract runs through 15, but he can opt out early -- I can't say that's fact but it would make sense that year shows up on roto and sportrac until its opted out of.

A quick search didnt confirm spiller for me but suh for sure has a voidable last year and shows up the same on sportrac currently as the year hasn't been voided.

Edited by NoSaint

You don't seem to want to let go of the $8,25M figure and Benigni's tweet. Byrd is a FS, and if he was offered top 4-5 FS money, that's in the low $7M neighborhood. The conventional wisdom says that when a team offers $2M less than Parker's magic number, he ignores it. If the Bills were within $750K, a deal could have been done. They weren't, mostly likely because of the value the team placed on Byrd, his PF, and a new scheme, which presents enough unknowns to make the Bills wary of committing big $.

Sport trac 2013 Cap hit for Safeties (includes base pay and all bonuses):

#1- $10.2 - Eric Berry

#2- $10.1 - Troy Polamalu

#3- $ 9.2 - Antrele Rolle

#4- $ 9.0 - Dashon Goldson

#5- $ 8.6 - Eric Weddle

#6- $ 6.9 - Jairus Byrd

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/safety/

I've seen the last year being void able a few places. The contract runs through 15, but he can opt out early -- I can't say that's fact but it would make sense that year shows up on roto and sportrac until its opted out of.

A quick search didnt confirm spiller for me but suh for sure has a voidable last year and shows up the same on sportrac currently as the year hasn't been voided.

sport trac highlights the player option year in green

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/eric-berry/

per year average of top 5 safeties

#1- $9.1 - Polamalu

#2- $8.3 - Berry

#3- $8.25 - Goldson

#4- $8.00 - weddle

#5- $7.4 - Rolle

average top 5 safeties $8.2

#1- $10.2 - Eric Berry

#5- $ 8.6 - Eric Weddle

#6- $ 6.9 - Jairus Byrd

http://www.spotrac.c...cap-hit/safety/

http://www.spotrac.c...efs/eric-berry/

#1- $9.1 - Polamalu

#2- $8.3 - Berry

#3- $8.25 - Goldson

#4- $8.00 - weddle

#5- $7.4 - Rolle

One more time, Byrd is a Free Safety, so throw out Berry's and Polamalu's numbers and you have:

#1- $ 9.2 - Antrele Rolle

#2- $ 9.0 - Dashon Goldson

#3- $ 8.6 - Eric Weddle

#4- $ 6.9 - Jairus Byrd

#5- $ 6.3 - Michael Griffin

Not sure what why the Cap Hit is the number you used, but it doesn't change the picture much when you take out Strong Safety.

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

One more time, Byrd is a Free Safety, so throw out Berry's and Polamalu's numbers and you have:

#3- $ 8.6 - Eric Weddle

#4- $ 6.9 - Jairus Byrd

Not sure what why the Cap Hit is the number you used, but it doesn't change the picture much when you take out Strong Safety.

#1- $10.2 - Eric Berry

#5- $ 8.6 - Eric Weddle

#6- $ 6.9 - Jairus Byrd

http://www.spotrac.c...cap-hit/safety/

http://www.spotrac.c...efs/eric-berry/

#1- $9.1 - Polamalu

#2- $8.3 - Berry

#3- $8.25 - Goldson

#4- $8.00 - weddle

#5- $7.4 - Rolle

I thought placing the franchise tag on a FS is the same as any DB, so Byrd gets the average of the top 5 DB's? Right?

I thought placing the franchise tag on a FS is the same as any DB, so Byrd gets the average of the top 5 DB's? Right?

the CBA uses a rolling average of the Top 5 safeties OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS (not "just" the current year).

#3- $ 8.6 - Eric Weddle

#4- $ 6.9 - Jairus Byrd

the CBA does NOT separate out free vs strong safety. just like it doesn't separate OL Tackles from Guards.

Quarterback: $14,896,000 / $13,068,000

Defensive end: $11,175,000 / $9,151,000

Cornerback: $10,854,000 / $9,095,000

Wide receiver: $10,537,000 / $8,867,000

Offensive linemen: $9,828,000 / $8,709,000

Linebacker: $9,619,000 / $8,358,000

Defensive tackle: $8,450,000 / $7,039,000

Running back: $8,219,000 / $6,970,000

Safety: $6,916,000 / $6,002,000

Tight end: $6,066,000 / $5,194,000

Kicker/punter: $2,977,000 / $2,700,000

Edited by papazoid

If you're talking about the value of the Franchise Tag, yes, but just safeties, not all DBs. CBs are paid $10.854M as a non-exclusive tag.

the CBA does NOT separate out free vs strong safety. just like it doesn't separate OL Tackles from Guards.

This is about your figure of $8.25M as what the Bills offered, because you're using all safeties as the base, not the CBA calculation of the Franchise Tag. IMO, this is not true. It's like saying a RT is worth what a LT makes.

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

If you're talking about the value of the Franchise Tag, yes, but just safeties, not all DBs. CBs are paid $10.854M as a non-exclusive tag.

This is about your figure of $8.25M as what the Bills offered, because you're using all safeties as the base, not the CBA calculation of the Franchise Tag. IMO, this is not true. It's like saying a RT is worth what a LT makes.

the current franchise tag value for ALL safeties, irregardless if free or strong is $6.9 million. that $6.9 is the average of the top 5 safeties over the last 5 years. NOT THE CURRENT YEAR. cornerbacks have their own category.

$8.25 million is what you get if you take the average yearly salary of the current contracts of the Top 5 highest paid safeties in the NFL.

some of these guys have 5 year deals some have 6 year deals. some are in their last year, some in their third year of their current deal.

Eugene Parker is NOT making the distinction between "free" and "strong" safety when he negotiates. He's using Polamalu and Berry's numbers in there as well so I don't know why we would make the distinction, either.

It's all about guaranteed money and actual salaries paid. The average doesn't mean a thing except to agents, so I find the use of them in the discussion to be irrelevant.

In terms of guaranteed money, Berry dwarfs everybody else at $25.6m. If Byrd wanted that kind of money, he should have been a top 5 draft pick. As it is, if we tag him again next year, he'd be at $15.2m guaranteed, which is still short of Weddle and Goldson's $19m and $18m, respectively.

In terms of actual salary, Byrd is at 6.9 guaranteed this year which places him 4th in the league.

I'm not sure why the "cap hit" rankings would be included accept to try to make a point that Byrd is somehow not in the top 5?

GO BILLS!!!

This is off the current discussion thread a little, so sorry about that, but I find it interesting that the Toronto Sun has a story quoting Byrd as squelching the trade desire rumors, while the Buffalo media braintrust has nothing to say about that. Just interesting is all. Carry on.

Eugene Parker is NOT making the distinction between "free" and "strong" safety when he negotiates. He's using Polamalu and Berry's numbers in there as well so I don't know why we would make the distinction, either.

It's all about guaranteed money and actual salaries paid. The average doesn't mean a thing except to agents, so I find the use of them in the discussion to be irrelevant.

In terms of guaranteed money, Berry dwarfs everybody else at $25.6m. If Byrd wanted that kind of money, he should have been a top 5 draft pick. As it is, if we tag him again next year, he'd be at $15.2m guaranteed, which is still short of Weddle and Goldson's $19m and $18m, respectively.

In terms of actual salary, Byrd is at 6.9 guaranteed this year which places him 4th in the league.

I'm not sure why the "cap hit" rankings would be included accept to try to make a point that Byrd is somehow not in the top 5?

GO BILLS!!!

I don't disagree. What I think happened is that Parker says $9M (top of all safeties), the Bills say $7M (top 4-5 FSs), Parker ignores it, the Bills leak hey, we offered top 4-5, and it goes nowhere.

As far as Berry's deal goes, remember he was 5th overall in the last class before the new CBA went into play...

This is off the current discussion thread a little, so sorry about that, but I find it interesting that the Toronto Sun has a story quoting Byrd as squelching the trade desire rumors, while the Buffalo media braintrust has nothing to say about that. Just interesting is all. Carry on.

Byrd did NOT talk to the Toronto sun.

that reporter is just rehashing the EXACT same thing the buffalo news said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/05/bills-jarius-byrd-silences-trade-talk-rumours

I don't disagree. What I think happened is that Parker says $9M (top of all safeties), the Bills say $7M (top 4-5 FSs), Parker ignores it, the Bills leak hey, we offered top 4-5, and it goes nowhere.

As far as Berry's deal goes, remember he was 5th overall in the last class before the new CBA went into play...

That's why I mentioned it. Berry's guaranteed dollars really skew the numbers because of his status as a high pick before the rookie wage scale went into effect. But I can see Parker arguing for that kind of money.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm confused...Explain what you mean by miscatagorized? And I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand...

Did you mean that the tweet said $9.1 mil was top Safety pay, but Golston only got $8.25 mil annually? B-)

It's how Benigni phrased it. The meaning is completely different when he said that Byrd wants to be the highest paid Safety, rather than Byrd wanting a contract similar to what the top free agent safeties got in 2013. The connotation between the two statements is completely different.

By saying that he should be the top paid Safety automatically brings to mind the idea that Byrd is the best safety in the league. That's definitely not the case. But he is definitely the best safety in this free agency, and deserves the going rate (which incidentally would make him the highest or close to the highest paid Safety).

Edited by GG

Byrd did NOT talk to the Toronto sun.

that reporter is just rehashing the EXACT same thing the buffalo news said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/05/bills-jarius-byrd-silences-trade-talk-rumours

Here's a link to Byrd. He dodges the stay/leave question pretty well.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Jairus-Byrd-focused-on-healing-not-trade-reports/473e98df-7f53-47db-82e1-1d2e758ae534

It's how Benigni phrased it. The meaning is completely different when he said that Byrd wants to be the highest paid Safety, rather than Byrd wanting a contract similar to what the top free agent safeties got in 2013. The connotation between the two statements is completely different.

By saying that he should be the top paid Safety automatically brings to mind the idea that Byrd is the best safety in the league. That's definitely not the case. But he is definitely the best safety in this free agency, and deserves the going rate (which incidentally would make him the highest or close to the highest paid Safety).

Thanks for responding GG... :thumbsup:

Good thing Donahue isn't here anymore. He might have traded Byrd to ourselves and cost us a 2nd round pick. Maybe even a 1st...

But seriously, I'm sure when he gets healthy he'll want to show the rest of the league how good he is so we can enjoy his talent for a few games if a trade takes place...

Here's to going undefeated until he gets traded...

a first and a second otherwise no deal and if he don't like we will franchise him again. Although the FO could loosen the purse a little and give him a honest deal.

Third overall safety money that he was offered is more then an honest deal.

The Bills had the money to sign both Levitre and Byrd (and still extend Wood). So, are the Bills a better football team this season without Levitre, with Byrd holding out and with $20m in free money under the cap? Maybe the Bills think that they need the money for next season or the one after that but to me it's unclear as to how they will better spend it or that they didn't have other options to get more money if necessary.

Dude is an above average safety. Hes tagged. He has to play lights out or his contract numbers go down. So unless he wants a paycut just to go elsewhere he'll play his game this season. He hates blo and blo hates him, happens all the time in the nfl relax.

The Bills had the money to sign both Levitre and Byrd (and still extend Wood). So, are the Bills a better football team this season without Levitre, with Byrd holding out and with $20m in free money under the cap? Maybe the Bills think that they need the money for next season or the one after that but to me it's unclear as to how they will better spend it or that they didn't have other options to get more money if necessary.

You tell me. How good were we with them?

PTR

We'll see about Levitre. It's possible that Brown may not be much of a downgrade, if at all. As for Byrd, unless giving him the big money deal was going to magically make his PF go away, the Bills did the right thing by not paying him. I can imagine the outcry if the Bills had given him $9M+/year and $20M+ in guaranteed money and he was still doubtful for opening day.

Speaking of which, Byrd should have kept the PF thing quiet. Because since it was a problem last year and didn't improve after 8 months of rest and rehab, no team will pony-up big cash if it's still a problem going into next off-season. And any team that thinks of signing him will demand games-played and performance incentives, which will likely put the guaranteed money at less than what the Bills offered him.

Speaking of which, Byrd should have kept the PF thing quiet. Because since it was a problem last year and didn't improve after 8 months of rest and rehab, no team will pony-up big cash if it's still a problem going into next off-season. And any team that thinks of signing him will demand games-played and performance incentives, which will likely put the guaranteed money at less than what the Bills offered him.

I personally think this PF story is a whole heaping pile of BS, being used as an excuse for him not to play here. Other teams will do their homework and realize what happened. I'm sure he will have absolutely NO problem at all sprinting to his new team as a disability faker sheds his crutches or wheelchair.

I personally think this PF story is a whole heaping pile of BS, being used as an excuse for him not to play here. Other teams will do their homework and realize what happened. I'm sure he will have absolutely NO problem at all sprinting to his new team as a disability faker sheds his crutches or wheelchair.

This made me laugh out loud. It conjures up those old movie images of little Timmy in the wheel chair who can miraculously walk again.

"Lawdy, lawdy! It's miracle! A miracle I tell you! I can walk, I can walk! Hallelujah, hallelujah! I can walk!"

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

You tell me. How good were we with them?

PTR

6-10. But obviously, just because a team stunk that doesn't mean that they didn't have any good players on it. Of course, we'll see what this year holds with Brown and Searcy before we can judge.

The other thing I would like to say on this matter is that I don't want to ever see the Bills draft a safety or interior offensive lineman in the first three rounds again if they aren't going to pay them should they develop into premium players. If you don't think these positions are that important then don't waste the picks and then have to let them go later.

Edited by vincec

6-10. But obviously, just because a team stunk that doesn't mean that they didn't have any good players on it. Of course, we'll see what this year holds with Brown and Searcy before we can judge.

The other thing I would like to say on this matter is that I don't want to ever see the Bills draft a safety or interior offensive lineman in the first three rounds again if they aren't going to pay them should they develop into premium players. If you don't think these positions are that important then don't waste the picks and then have to let them go later.

that is a great point. havent ever thought about it in that light but that is pretty spot on. im sure if we do trade byrd(im fully against it) we will draft a safety with that pick. typical bills FO move