So Byrd is hurt too

Jdragon2

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd is reaping what Parker sewed.

Parker had him hold out for THE top contract and it blew up on them because the team called them.

Now, the only way they can get more money for his previous (underpaid) time is to take this year's guaranteed money and not play a game, or play very little.

This seems to me to be the Peters' pouting positioning Parker pronouncedly played previously to such great effect that it got a trade done. This, in my view is what Parker is making happen again. Won't accept our "fair" offer - okay then, here's your damaged goods player. He ain't gonna play for you worth a damn this year or next. So go ahead and give him $14million guaranteed - but he still ain't gonna play for you. You'd better just trade him to someone who will give him what I demand.

Anyone else think Byrd and Parker have a ton of balls to demand THE TOP contract for a Safety - when they knew he has a gimpy foot?

Parker had him hold out for THE top contract and it blew up on them because the team called them.

Now, the only way they can get more money for his previous (underpaid) time is to take this year's guaranteed money and not play a game, or play very little.

This seems to me to be the Peters' pouting positioning Parker pronouncedly played previously to such great effect that it got a trade done. This, in my view is what Parker is making happen again. Won't accept our "fair" offer - okay then, here's your damaged goods player. He ain't gonna play for you worth a damn this year or next. So go ahead and give him $14million guaranteed - but he still ain't gonna play for you. You'd better just trade him to someone who will give him what I demand.

Anyone else think Byrd and Parker have a ton of balls to demand THE TOP contract for a Safety - when they knew he has a gimpy foot?

Holy alliteration Batman!

Irv Weinstein would be proud.

GO BILLS!!!

this scenario has NOT happened yet...

but it is a real possibility....

say this ten times fast "Peters' pouting positioning Parker pronouncedly played previously"....lol

2 hours ago....

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jairus Byrd's availability for the Buffalo Bills' season opener against the New England Patriots is uncertain, coach Doug Marrone said Sunday, due to a foot injury the safety revealed is plantar fasciitis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9626656/top-buffalo-bills-safety-jairus-byrd-battling-plantar-fasciitis

Doug Whaley asked the NFL to extend Byrd's exemption thru week 1, maybe he knew something ?

The Bills approached the NFL for an exemption a day after Byrd signed his one-year, $6.9 million franchise tender. General manager Doug Whaley told The Associated Press he had not ruled out having the exemption extend into the regular season.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bills-seek-roster-exemption-nfl-s-byrd

As soon as they said it's plantar fasciitis, we all knew it was going to be an issue. It's one of those things people can play on at a certain level with treatment, but if it gets aggravated, it could shut him down completely. The only real solution is resting him until it's healed, but who knows how long that could take.

A potential career threatening injury? Byrd was never blessed with great speed even with two good feet. No one will be paying him top NFL Safety money now. Thank God the Bills FO did not invest millions. Pleased we have invested in Eric Wood who has recovered from horrific injuries with great character.

how did that crack bills medical staff pass his physical ?

he should be good by the BYE week

well, its possible it didnt show up. its also possible he didnt truly show 100% health but was an injury risk they were willing to accept in the signing. when the alternative to signing him was releasing him, id rather hold his rights at this point, wouldnt you?

well, its possible it didnt show up. its also possible he didnt truly show 100% health but was an injury risk they were willing to accept in the signing. when the alternative to signing him was releasing him, id rather hold his rights at this point, wouldnt you?

It is my understanding that this problem can only be diagnosed via the symptoms reported. That is why this is an awfully convenient injury to have if your intent is not to play. I guess we will see, but I tend to think it will be fine by the end of December.

Just heard on NFL Network that Byrd dealt with the same issue last season and took needles a couple of times just to make it through the season.

And still played pretty darn well. Hopefully will be the case again.

Per Ian Rappaport: Byrd to possibly miss some time.

Has there been anyone with more vague and useless tweets about Byrd this last week?

Byrd possibly upset

Byrd possibly to miss time

for the record, I would've kept Levitre and let Byrd walk. as far as the medical goes, Byrd was dealing with this injury last year, they had to know.

Edited by papazoid

for the record, I would of kept Levitre and let Byrd walk. as far as the medical goes, Byrd was dealing with this injury last year, they had to know.

For what Levitre got paid, keeping him didnt make sense. Even having the best guard in the league probably wont be a game changer anyway.

For what Levitre got paid, keeping him didnt make sense. Even having the best guard in the league probably wont be a game changer anyway.

Levitre got paid LESS ($7.8 mil/yr) than what the bills offered (about $8.25) and what Byrd wants (about $9 mil/yr).

Levitre is getting dirty on every single offensive play. Byrd does not get dirty on every defensive play.

Edited by papazoid

Levitre got paid LESS ($7.8 mil/yr) than what the bills offered (about $8.25) and what Byrd wants (about $9 mil/yr).

Levitre is getting dirty on every single offensive play. Byrd does not get dirty on every defensive play.

Where does the bolded part come from. I was under the impression the Bills never made AL an offer, probably because it wasn't going to be close to what the FA market would pay, so they let him walk. There was no shortage of articles on Levitre waiting for an offer.

If you meant what the Bills offered Byrd, most of the people who know about these things, said the Bills were closer to $7m (~$2M less than the $9M Byrd was seeking).

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

Where does the bolded part come from. I was under the impression the Bills never made AL an offer, probably because it wasn't going to be close to what the FA market would pay, so they let him walk. There was no shortage of articles on Levitre waiting for an offer.

If you meant what the Bills offered Byrd, most of the people who know about these things, said the Bills were closer to $7m (~$2M less than the $9M Byrd was seeking).

the bills offered top 4-5 money, that's $8.25 mil

Byrd wants #1 money, that's $9 mil

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22771675/report-jairus-byrd-not-getting-deal-wants-to-be-highestpaid-safety

the bills offered top 4-5 money, that's $8.25 mil

Byrd wants #1 money, that's $9 mil

http://www.cbssports...hestpaid-safety

WGR quoted Mark Kelso, who is said to a be a personal friend of Byrd, that Byrd wants $9M and the Bills (apparently) offered $7M...

"It's unfortunate. It is what it is though," Kelso remarked. "Honestly, I had the conversation with him. 'What's the difference between $7 million and $9 million?' Two million, I realize that. I'm smarter than a fifth grader but in the realm of professional sports, I think there are a lot of things more important than that $2 million."

and according to Tim Graham, the top FSs are:

Dashon Goldson, Buccaneers, $8.25 million

Eric Weddle, Chargers, $8 million

Antrel Rolle, Giants, $7.4 million

Michael Griffin, Titans, $7 million

Jairus Byrd, Bills, $6.916 million (if he signs franchise tag)

So ya, it was top 4-5

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

Just heard on NFL Network that Byrd dealt with the same issue last season and took needles a couple of times just to make it through the season.

31 other teams take note. Who wants to pay $8m or $9m pa for a player carrying a long term injury and who may miss field time even with resting his feet for 8 months. Anyone want to guarantee $20m? Byrds strategy looks to have backfired. The only option he has now to get his big contract in 2014 is to get his arse on the field and play "lights out" for 16 games.

31 other teams take note. Who wants to pay $8m or $9m pa for a player carrying a long term injury and who may miss field time even with resting his feet for 8 months. Anyone want to guarantee $20m? Byrds strategy looks to have backfired. The only option he has now to get his big contract in 2014 is to get his arse on the field and play "lights out" for 16 games.

He is as good as gone. Get Aaron Williams or someone in there and see how they do. Shame they are stuck with franchise tag salary this year. What a waste of $$ for a guy who probably won't even play to a high level this year if at all. Funny business this NFL. Always kicks the Bills in the arse. This team used all its good luck up in the late 80's then they hit the jackpot with Bennett, Thomas, Lofton, et al. Payback is a b--ch I guess.

Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd will "probably" miss time in the regular season with plantar fasciitis, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network. According to Rapoport, Byrd also dealt with the injury over the course of last season, but took shots to be able to play through the injury.

http://www.philly.co..._fasciitis.html If Byrd can't know if he can play with any certainty, how could he expect guaranteed multi year of top safety $

Edited by independent

Now it comes out what I had already pieced together...

Byrd dealt with this last year taking shots to get through some games, Bills knowing he had this werent going to give him big dollars until they saw how bad this was since it can literally derail a career or at least make him a much less effective player, Byrd felt betrayed by the Bills because he played his heart out for them instead of trying to rest it and not play.

This is why he was so bitter...it just made no sense why he would be that bitter over a simple franchise tag...I knew there had to be something else in play and this was it...

Byrd wanted a long term deal, Bills said let's see how this injury plays out first, here's a one year deal, Byrd feels betrayed and mad because he knows this is potentially a very serious situation that could rob him of any chance at getting a big dollar contract long term...

Both sides have reasons for doing what they did, Bills protected themselves from buying damaged goods, Byrd has reasons for feeling betrayed...both sides can feel they are in the right...

Potentially a disastrous situation for both parties from a relationship standpoint and Byrd from a career standpoint

I find it very discouraging that Byrd's foot problem has persisted throughout the entire off-season.

It means one of two things:

(a) it is a performance-sucking problem that will never go away.

(b) he had 8 months to deal with it and either chose not to or completely botched it.

I mean, if you skip all of training camp and play in zero preseason games, you should not be entering the season injured, so long as there is anything medically possible you can do about it. Right?

Neither scenario (a) nor (b) is one the Bills should commit big bucks to. This is totally independent of whatever alleged shenanigans are going on with Byrd's agent (about which I profess to know nothing).

This is looking more and more like another "we're cursed" situation. We finally hit a home run in the draft, and then the wheels fall off.

He'll be back if we start off 3-1 though...!!!!

This is a power play, pure and simple- call it what it is. No extra effort to get out there and play, but here's the thing- Bills fans would have understood if he had taken care of himself last year and rested, but now it looks petty.

We should just let him fully heal and trade him. I know it is rewarding his behavior, but if he's leaving we need to move on and maintain the positive motivation and chemistry vital to win.

Now it comes out what I had already pieced together...

Byrd dealt with this last year taking shots to get through some games, Bills knowing he had this werent going to give him big dollars until they saw how bad this was since it can literally derail a career or at least make him a much less effective player, Byrd felt betrayed by the Bills because he played his heart out for them instead of trying to rest it and not play.

This is why he was so bitter...it just made no sense why he would be that bitter over a simple franchise tag...I knew there had to be something else in play and this was it...

Byrd wanted a long term deal, Bills said let's see how this injury plays out first, here's a one year deal, Byrd feels betrayed and mad because he knows this is potentially a very serious situation that could rob him of any chance at getting a big dollar contract long term...

Both sides have reasons for doing what they did, Bills protected themselves from buying damaged goods, Byrd has reasons for feeling betrayed...both sides can feel they are in the right...

Potentially a disastrous situation for both parties from a relationship standpoint and Byrd from a career standpoint

Sounds good in theory, but there's a problem: the Bills DID offer Jairus Byrd a long term contract. Even with his foot ailment. Byrd's camp balked, wanted to be the highest paid. If anything, Eugene Parker betrayed Byrd, not the Bills. Top 5 money was on the table, but Parker declined; told his client to hold out for more, when in reality, this was never an option.

I feel Byrd will eventually sign a contract equal to what the Bills were offering, or if he's still chasing "highest paid safety in the NFL," he'll sign another one year deal elsewhere and try to prove himself all over again. Whichever way you slice it, Byrd's camp lost. He should fire Eugene Parker and thank the Bills for offering top 5 money for a player with a recurring, overuse injury.