Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

watch how slow Byrd looks, gets passed by 3 players.

Safeties aren't usually the fastest guys on the field. That's why some corners move back to safety to prolong their career when they lose a step.

Byrd is slow but instinctive.

Good but not great.

This year will be very telling for Bryd. With a new D and a late start, he may well be the second or third best DB on the field for the Bills this season.

I think there is no likely trade scenario and no long term deal negotiation until after the season. The most value he could bring is if they can tag him somehow so they get compensatory picks if signed away, but I don't know if that's still possible next year or if franchising/Long term are the only remaining options

Either way I cannot imagine his stock ever being any higher than it was this off season.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 pages later.....am I supposed to read all 24? What's the etiquette? I feel like When I come late to a conversation, I just don't post at all bc I'm prolly repeating what someone said 7 pages ago. I'd love it if these topics were capped at 10 pages. I can read 10.

Anyways. If Byrd is going to be a buzz kill, remove him and keep building next year. Or I love the thought of getting some O-line talent.

24 pages later.....am I supposed to read all 24? What's the etiquette? I feel like When I come late to a conversation, I just don't post at all bc I'm prolly repeating what someone said 7 pages ago. I'd love it if these topics were capped at 10 pages. I can read 10.

Anyways. If Byrd is going to be a buzz kill, remove him and keep building next year. Or I love the thought of getting some O-line talent.

There was a thread that started with the trade talk, but it got closed because it was talked about in another thread. I feel the same way as you.

I never understand these "should we trade so and so posts" because how can you answer that unless you know what is on the other side of the trade

1st rd pick = yes

2n rd and below = no

also if anyone is willing to give us a high quality CB no older than 28

My favorite pundit line is from Adam Schefter who said that the "ill will" between the Bills and Byrd will only get worse. How in the heck could he know that? Can he predict the future?

Byrd's back, I'm happy. All the rest is noise. Let me know when he gets traded.

Until I see something more substantial I say BS on the reports. My take, it's butthurt Eugene Parker using the media to stir up crap.

Trade Byrd? Not unless a team makes a stupid offer for him. Look, the Bills are in the driver's seat for once. Why do you want to let Parker get the upper hand now? The guy came in thinking he was going to play the Bills like he played them before with Peters. How did that work out for him and his client?

Mr. Super Agent messed up. That's the story.

PTR

Amen!! As long as Byrd doesn't get hurt, and plays well, every incentive that existed this past offseason to do a long-term deal will be present once again next offseason.

If the guy wants security, he'll do a deal that is more reasonable. If he and his agent want to play the game the same way, he'll get tagged again, and while he will get a raise, he still won't have the long-term security that he seeks.

The Bills should play it EXACTLY the same way again this off-season. If he wants out, let Eugene find him a team willing to compensate the Bills with what they believe is reasonable value for them. If the super agent can't get that done, then he can sign a reasonable long-term contract, or risk a down season or injury for a second straight year.

BUT, if Byrd gets hurt to the point of a shortened season, or just plays poorly, Parker's strategy is going to blow up right in his face.

And I totally agree, if he goes that route again, tag him a third year. The three year average salary is quite reasonable under those circumstances. And once again, Byrd would have every incentive to still sign a long-term deal rather than risk a down season or serious injury for a third straight season.

You are correct. The Bills are in the driver seat for once, and they need to keep their course, steady as she goes.

Edited by BuffaloBob

My favorite pundit line is from Adam Schefter who said that the "ill will" between the Bills and Byrd will only get worse. How in the heck could he know that? Can he predict the future?

Byrd's back, I'm happy. All the rest is noise. Let me know when he gets traded.

but now you just MUST view his twitter daily to see how this soap opera unfolds!

And I totally agree, if he goes that route again, tag him a third year. The three year average salary is quite reasonable under those circumstances. And once again, Byrd would have every incentive to still sign a long-term deal rather than risk a down season or serious injury for a third straight season.

You can only tag a player twice in a row.

I'd like to see a new nickname for Byrd - 'Tag you are it'

executive summary of 24 pages:

Byrd signed his tender without a "no tag" for next year clause.

Some suggest Byrd is unhappy and we should trade him now.

Others say those rumors are unreliable and no way should we trade him.

you're all caught up.

Edited by papazoid

your all caught up.

Cool, can we play football now??

Teams can continuously franchise players, but it'll cost them to do that. As had been the case previously, a player tagged a second straight year would have his number set at 120 percent of the previous figure. A third straight year? That's where things change, and the percentage goes up to 144.

You're all caught up.

Fixed. Thanks for your TSW public service. :thumbsup:

but now you just MUST view his twitter daily to see how this soap opera unfolds!

ok, so this timeline in Bleacher Report is interesting..

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Byrd is hoping to be traded by the NFL's trade deadline that falls on October 29. Werder credited his sources during a segment on ESPN's new "Insiders" television show that airs weekdays at 3pm on ESPN.

Immediately after those comments, Adam Schefter added the following: "Jairus Byrd is back in Buffalo, but that doesn't mean this situation is over."

the article then quotes Werder's retake

Regarding Jarius Byrd: Acrimony remains, will take time to adjust to scheme, get in football shape, may even hope for eventual trade

BUT, Adam Schefter's Tweet is now mysteriously deleted from his feed...

I don't get it. Byrd signing his tender and Byrd being traded are 2 completely different topics. This site puzzles me sometimes.

If Byrd CAN sign a long term deal with another team, but CANNOT sign a long term deal with the Bills until after his 16 week gauntlet, of course he wants to be traded. Especially after seeing what happened to Keller, wouldn't you?

By the way, here's the relevant section that, to me says that Byrd CAn sign a long term deal with another club:

(k) Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

I don't get it. Byrd signing his tender and Byrd being traded are 2 completely different topics. This site puzzles me sometimes.

If Byrd CAN sign a long term deal with another team, but CANNOT sign a long term deal with the Bills until after his 16 week gauntlet, of course he wants to be traded. Especially after seeing what happened to Keller, wouldn't you?

he cant sign a long term deal with anyone til the close of the season. so his trade value is a bit low until next spring anyway. unless hes wildly unhappy we have no incentive to rush on this. let him play a lights out contract year for us and trade him at peak value in the spring if you really insist on trading him.

The name Jairus byrd isnt mentioned once in this article, yet it seems INCREDIBLY relevant to our current discussion:

http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

Is this true? I thought Walter Jones got tagged three years in a row?

no, it's not true.

Albert Breer explains

How else did the franchise-tag rules change?

Teams can continuously franchise players, but it'll cost them to do that. As had been the case previously, a player tagged a second straight year would have his number set at 120 percent of the previous figure. A third straight year? That's where things change, and the percentage goes up to 144.

By the way, here's the relevant section that, to me says that Byrd CAn sign a long term deal with another club:

(k) Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

how can you interpret the rule as he can sign a long term deal with another club after 7/15?

I think I read another team can't sign him to a long term deal either.

1). If you are complaining of threads being closed and having to read thru a thread shut up and adapt. That or go back where you came from. You're in the minority...

2). Furthermore there is absolutely no proof or weight behind this trade talk other then one reporter. It fed the entire thing. Its talk for talkers

3). Byrd is worth more then 1st rounder. Maybe # first rounders

4). Why us all pro talent something you want to trade?

Sit down. Be quiet and adapt. There is nothing to yjos story that any of us know despite how smart we may think of ourselves.

I think I read another team can't sign him to a long term deal either.

he is a franchid player and due to the new CBA he cannot be signed to a long term contract even if traded

no, it's not true.

Albert Breer explains

how can you interpret the rule as he can sign a long term deal with another club after 7/15?

As far as Byrd signing long term with a new team I think they can only agree in principle (the Bills could do the same) but what happens if Byrd has a great season and Parker wants more or if Byrd plays terrible/is hurt?

no, it's not true.

Albert Breer explains

You know what...I read it again and I think it can be read the other way. It says no long term deal with PRIOR club. So I thought he could sign long term deal with new club....Then , I thought that the trading club may step into the Bills' shoes and be no better off. Hell, I dunno.

no, it's not true.

Albert Breer explains

Now I'm convinced I misread it due to the final sentence saying he can't sign extension until after last reg season game. I read the Breer article. The only thing I got out of it is he can be franchised a 3rd straight year at 144% of the top 5 salaries. He says nothing about trading.

b) Any Club that designates a player as a Franchise Player for the third time

shall, on the date the third such designation is made, be deemed to have tendered the

player' a one-year NFL Player Contract for the greater of: (A) the average of the five

largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in

Section 7(a) below) with the highest such average; (B) 120% of the average of the five

largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in

Section 7 (a) below) at which the player participated in the most plays during the prior

League Year; or © 1 44% of his Prior Year Salary. (By way of example, a kicker designated

as a Franchise Player for the third time in the 201 4 League Year would have a

Required Tender equal to the greater of: (i) the average of the five largest 201 3 Salaries

for quarterbacks; (ii) 1 20% of the average of the five largest 2013 Salaries for kickers; or

(iii) 1 44% of the player's own 201 3 Salary.) If the Club designates the player as a Franchise

Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which

the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract. In lieu of designating such a player as

a Franchise Player for the third time, any Club may designate such player as a Transition

Player pursuant to Section 3 below.

https://www.nflplayers.com/about-us/CBA-Download/

You can't sign a contract with one team while you're under contract with another team! That's absurd.

As far as Byrd signing long term with a new team I think they can only agree in principle (the Bills could do the same) but what happens if Byrd has a great season and Parker wants more or if Byrd plays terrible/is hurt?

I'm no expert, I suppose you're right, Byrd and his agent could conceivably come to some agreement in principle, but they'd have to get the Bills to agree (ie compensation, because they could tag him again..). The situation is the same if he has a great season; the Bills can sign him to a multi-year agreement, tag him again, trade him, or let him sign with another team with some killer compensation.

Now I'm convinced I misread it due to the final sentence saying he can't sign extension until after last reg season game. I read the Breer article. The only thing I got out of it is he can be franchised a 3rd straight year at 144% of the top 5 salaries. He says nothing about trading.

to me, it was the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club that excluded him from doing anything else. You're right, the Breer article didn't address trades. I only linked it to show the changes to the tag rule (via the new CBA) that allowed teams to continually tag a player, at a cost...

You can't sign a contract with one team while you're under contract with another team! That's absurd.

Of course it is. One of the talking heads mentioned the possibility of Byrd being traded to another team SO HE CAN GET HIS LONG TERM DEAL. But it looks like, no matter what, this isn't going to happen for Byrd until January. That sucks for the player. I wonder why they closed the negotiating window....

The expectation is that it will take several weeks for Byrd to get in playing shape. He'll be "extra careful," according to Rapoport.

Byrd reportedly is looking for a deal that would make him the highest-paid safety in football. The Bills would like to keep him in Buffalo, but they believe his value falls somewhere in the top five salaries at the position.

For someone who desires being paid at the top of his profession, coming in out of shape and being "extra careful" does not send a real good message to the Bills or any other interested team. The message it sends is:

ME ME ME

He is talented for sure and a very good player. To be paid at the top of your profession though you have to add work ethic to the mix. He's out of shape and will play "carefully" but wants top money? Ummmmmm.....ok. Try that crap in any profession and see where it gets you.

He can't sign long term for anyone even after a trade so why would the Titans or Chiefs or Niners or anyone else trade for an "extra careful" player?

J

rus has always had a little bit of a work ethic issue but mostly about practice. Now he is going to be careful all year? It will be unpopular but I think the Bills are looking at a good season here and although Byrd could help if willing to work, he can only hurt by hanging around with a bad attitude. No team will want him if he is going to play "carefully" We'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder. The attitude is upbeat for the Bills. Why risk that by either keeping Byrd or holding on to him in an effort to obtain another low round pick? Forget it. Just cut him. Period. The only reasonable alternative I see to that is to bring Troy Vincent back as a guest for one practice and have Byrd wear #7 that day. Hello IR.

Of course it is. One of the talking heads mentioned the possibility of Byrd being traded to another team SO HE CAN GET HIS LONG TERM DEAL. But it looks like, no matter what, this isn't going to happen for Byrd until January. That sucks for the player. I wonder why they closed the negotiating window....

so 12 star players wouldnt be sitting at home today trying to get extensions.

yup - essentially it closes their window to negotiate with other clubs. they can sign a one year deal with the team they are playing for. once signed, that team can trade the one year contract to someone else.

point of information - once you have signed a contract to play under, you cannot renegotiate until the close of that season, unless you are cut and that deal is terminated, no? i think thats the full circle closing of the debate, but im not sure on this last bit.

Edited by NoSaint

If Byrd acts sluggish and disinterested, what other team is going to make him the top-paid safety?

and then you look at a brandon marshall getting traded for a 4 year 48m deal and second round pick after self destructing, AND intentionally hurting his team to force his way out.

the nfl is a strange place. i think itll take a lot (injury or attitude) for byrd to get noticeably less then weve offered him. if hes set on being #1 though, he knows he has to play and look great. regardless i dont think he blows this year off.

Edited by NoSaint

February.

GO BILLS!!!

1). If you are complaining of threads being closed and having to read thru a thread shut up and adapt. That or go back where you came from. You're in the minority...

2). Furthermore there is absolutely no proof or weight behind this trade talk other then one reporter. It fed the entire thing. Its talk for talkers

3). Byrd is worth more then 1st rounder. Maybe # first rounders

4). Why us all pro talent something you want to trade?

Sit down. Be quiet and adapt. There is nothing to yjos story that any of us know despite how smart we may think of ourselves.

he is a franchid player and due to the new CBA he cannot be signed to a long term contract even if traded

Everything you say makes sense. Problem is people prefer to listen to dipchit media rumor mongers, since apparently it's more fun to listen to complete BS, than being happy one of the better Bills players has signed and seems happy to he's back on board with the team.

BTW I heard from a "unnamed source" that EJ isn't happy and wants to be traded.

Edited by Best Player Available

Everything you say makes sense. Problem is people prefer to listen to dipchit media rumor mongers, since apparently it's more fun to listen to complete BS, than being happy one of the better Bills players has signed and seems happy to he's back on board with the team.

BTW I heard from a "unnamed source" that EJ isn't happy and wants to be traded.

I'm sure those reporters have a solid source: Eugene Parker. This is all he has left for leverage until the end of the season.

"Uh, Jairus...I know holding out didn't work like I said it would but don't worry. I have people in the media who'll stir things up for me. Don't worry. I know the Bills will cave. Now sit tight and don't get hurt."

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm sure those reporters have a solid source: Eugene Parker. This is all he has left for leverage until the end of the season.

"Uh, Jairus...I know holding out didn't work like I said it would but don't worry. I have people in the media who'll stir things up for me. Don't worry. I know the Bills will cave. Now sit tight and don't get hurt."

PTR

Holding out the last month has been about next year not this year. It was a long term play. If a trade was priority number 1 he would've been pushing it in April