Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

At any one time there are nearly 1700 players in the NFL. Over a decade , there will be over 25,000 NFL players.

And you link 5 articles. A couple of them repeated themselves.

Point being, you hear about the major cases. You don't hear about the 99% of players who have little or no issues.

I'm not sure how this is even a discussion. Factory workers have more inherent risk at present and lifetime than NFL players and are not paid what athletes are.

Conclusion, just because you have a job with a greater risk of injury does not mean you deserve anything.

99%? I gave you five articles, most of them with stats, and you make one up for yourself?

Was Don Majkowski a major case? Does the world know his story? C'mon, man, you're being incredibly facetious. Having a job with a great risk of injury where you possess a rare skill and much money is being made as a result means you get paid. It's not that hard.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're supposed to only focus on the concussion cases because those are the ones we hear about, but ignore the non concussion cases that we don't hear about?

99% of the time, this is true 10% of the time.

Art Modell says different.

kj

You would have to f--- up hard to lose money owning an NFL franchise.

As much as I can appreciate the sentiment of the article, it states that 9 of 10 suffer from "aches and pains". 9 of 10 people on the United States suffer from aches and pains, regardless of their occupation. My mother has aches and pains and even worse and she was a neurotechnician in a hospital.

Not to mention that was strategically published due to the lawsuit between the former players and the NFL.

It's what you implied.

Not even a little bit

Forget all those guys citing daily pain from broken bones, torn tendons, joints getting blown apart and damaged tissue.... From hundreds of hits that can be worse than car accidents. Disregard any personal stories, or studies on those guys and focus on the fact that the majority of post-nfl pain is caused by CTE a condition that can't be diagnosed in living people currently and is generally full of questions still.... Jeeze Kelly, you just don't get it.

99%? I gave you five articles, most of them with stats, and you make one up for yourself?

Was Don Majkowski a major case? Does the world know his story? C'mon, man, you're being incredibly facetious. Having a job with a great risk of injury where you possess a rare skill and much money is being made as a result means you get paid. It's not that hard.

No one said it is.

I think you need to go back a few pages and regather why this discussion started. As often happens, even to myself, the discussion winds and the original point is lost.

You gave me 5 articles, a few of them practically duplicates, and you call it the majority rather than the minority.

That's not my fault.

Forget all those guys citing daily pain from broken bones, torn tendons, joints getting blown apart and damaged tissue.... From hundreds of hits that can be worse than car accidents. Disregard any personal stories, or studies on those guys and focus on the fact that the majority of post-nfl pain is caused by CTE a condition that can't be diagnosed in living people currently and is generally full of questions still.... Jeeze Kelly, you just don't get it.

Listen, I get it. You're top dog here. You are macho. You can stop now.

Sarcasm, at its core, is a quest for acceptance and ego. Youre separating yourself to make yourself seem superior and not naive. The word "sarcasm" comes from the Greek Sarkazen. Which if I recall correctly, means to rip apart one's flesh. Mainly to show dominance.

So I get it. You're dominant. You're top dog. Cool?

Hell, just look at a retired NFL player in person and the effects of the repeated physical trauma that these guys have to deal with post-career are clearly evident.

Hell, just look at a retired NFL player in person and the effects of the repeated physical trauma that these guys have to deal with post-career are clearly evident.

Hung out with Jim Kelly a bit last season. There was nothing evident. Not really proof of anything. Just interesting because of what you said.

Edited by microscopes

Probably CTE if its from football.

Otherwise its their own fault.

Or genetic.

Or from old little league baseball injuries.

Other than concussions, there's really not a large impact on the body playing football. So stop providing links and studies and focus on my unsourced claims.

Hung out with Jim Kelly a bit last season. There was nothing evident. Not really proof of anything. Just interesting because of what you said.

I take it he didn't discuss the knee & back surgeries?

I just finished reading it and I actually really enjoyed this article. A few notes.

1) The article states a third rated the medical care offered by team doctors as either “not so good” or “poor,” though a majority rated it as “good or “excellent.” Those who retired more recently reported more satisfaction than those who retired earlier.

This is a sign that the injuries and the magnitude of them were not fully comprehended 20 to 30 years ago. It is now and things are better.

2) Nearly half of the players polled had less than 2 major injuries. And 93% of them said they were happy that they played in the league. This says a lot to how much pain they are in.

3) 9 of 10 players have "aches and pains". That's about right considering most Americans have aches and pains.

4) Most of the players injured played 20+ years ago.

Not all of them are me making a point. Just some observations.

Thank you for posting the article.

No one said it is.

I think you need to go back a few pages and regather why this discussion started. As often happens, even to myself, the discussion winds and the original point is lost.

You gave me 5 articles, a few of them practically duplicates, and you call it the majority rather than the minority.

The five articles are all from different points in time and cite different studies.

In the Post article, which I am sure you've read now, these statistics are cited.

Nine in 10 former NFL players reported suffering concussions while playing, and nearly six in 10 reported three or more. Two in three who had concussions said they experience continuing symptoms from them.

More than nine in 10 players reported suffering at least one major injury while in the NFL. More than half reported three or more; one in five reported five or more.

Forty-four percent of former players said they have either had a joint replacement or have been advised they’ll need one.

9 in 10 is not just the majority - it is almost all. For concussions and major injuries. 8 in 10 report pain that lasts all day.

More than half reported three or more major injuries. Almost half need or have had a joint replacement. That sounds like normal Joe factory worker to you?

There's a lot of evasion here. Making up of stats, excuses (article was around the time of the lawsuit), false equivalencies... what are you arguing here?

The fact is that NFL players play a risky game, and if they have the appearance of fighting for every last dollar... prove why they shouldn't.

To add:

Among younger retirees, aged 30 to 49, one in three said he was unable to work or limited in work.

Them's the odds that Byrd is probably thinking long and hard about.

Probably CTE if its from football.

Otherwise its their own fault.

Or genetic.

Or from old little league baseball injuries.

Other than concussions, there's really not a large impact on the body playing football. So stop providing links and studies and focus on my unsourced claims.

Listen, I get it. You're top dog here. You are macho. You can stop now.

Sarcasm, at its core, is a quest for acceptance and ego. Youre separating yourself to make yourself seem superior and not naive. The word "sarcasm" comes from the Greek Sarkazen. Which if I recall correctly, means to rip apart one's flesh. Mainly to show dominance.

So I get it. You're dominant. You're top dog. Cool?

I take it he didn't discuss the knee & back surgeries?

No he didn't.

Just to be clear, were taking about pain, not surgeries. You can have surgery and not result in pain.

The five articles are all from different points in time and cite different studies.

In the Post article, which I am sure you've read now, these statistics are cited.

9 in 10 is not just the majority - it is almost all. For concussions and major injuries. 8 in 10 report pain that lasts all day.

More than half reported three or more major injuries. Almost half need or have had a joint replacement. That sounds like normal Joe factory worker to you?

There's a lot of evasion here. Making up of stats, excuses (article was around the time of the lawsuit), false equivalencies... what are you arguing here?

The fact is that NFL players play a risky game, and if they have the appearance of fighting for every last dollar... prove why they shouldn't.

The burden of proof is not on me. You made the comment. The burden of proof is on you.

However, they are entitled to do whatever they wish. I stayed that many pages ago.

And I am entitled to disagree with it.

To add:

Them's the odds that Byrd is probably thinking long and hard about.

If nothing else, I found the articles interesting and relevant. The thread got pretty derailed, but you shared good content.

i'm looking for the Byrd signed his tender thread.....

Still have to loop back to tuel, maybe some Rogers, a couple Damond jokes, and then we can get back to arguing about made up trade demands and how byrds still a jerk and not ready to play week 1

Edited by NoSaint

Just to be clear, were taking about pain, not surgeries. You can have surgery and not result in pain.

Are you saying people get surgeries even if they don't have pain leading up to the surgery? Just for the fun of it?