Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

No one traded for him before. No one is going to trade for him now. Shut up, get back to the team, work hard, have a good season, and then talk about how much you think you're worth.

I haven't heard or read Byrd say anything. He's signed and going to play this year, barring injury of course. That's all we as fans should care about at this point.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this reeks of Parker trying to drum up interest, without making Jairus out to be the bad guy. My suspicions are fueled by some fuzzy tweets from Tim G and Ed Werder yesterday, which seemed out of the norm.

That's possible. If true, it seems that neither has enough respect for their profession to realize they're being used.

Did anyone else think Sully's article was somewhat bizarre in its timing? Of course the best thing would have been to sign Byrd to a long term deal before free agency.

Last spring. That would have been a timely article to write - last spring.

Once the Bills tagged Byrd, then the sides failed to agree to terms, it's a situation that's bad for both sides. We all know that. Sully gives a "probable" number Byrd was looking for, which may have no basis in reality whatsoever. We really don't know what Parker thought Byrd was worth, and the total amount/years is really not the germaine issue - it's always the guaranteed $$, stupid.

Now Byrd is left being paid well but in a 1 yr deal with the chance to be franchised again. You might as well write an article chastizing Parker for putting his client's overall career and financial well being at risk by refusing to compromise until the compromise deadline had come and gone.

it sort of sounds like Sullivan and Tim Graham are spending their evenings at the Elmwood Ave. bars reading TSW on a laptop.

That's possible. If true, it seems that neither has enough respect for their profession to realize they're being used.

Well, it can be mutually beneficial, if Byrd does end up traded these reporters end up looking like they had the inside scoop with really risking anything. That's the problem with journalists using Twitter. A tweet does not necessarily equal news.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with Spiller when he becomes a free agent providing he continues to produce like he has been.

If he does, I would hope the Bills dont mess around and sign him right away or re sign him before his contract is up.

CBF

spiller is under contract for 3 more seasons. he may used up by then.

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract. The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2,623,334, 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: $2,196,663, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

REGARDING BYRD......Byrd and his agent may think the bills are still trying to stick it to them by taking away one game check. The Bills approached the NFL for an exemption a day after Byrd signed his one-year, $6.9 million franchise tender. General manager Doug Whaley told The Associated Press he had not ruled out having the exemption extend into the regular season. "An extra roster spot is always a good thing," Whaley said, when asked if Byrd could be exempted for the Bills opener against New England on Sept. 8.

That request was denied because the NFL generally limits exemptions to two games. Buffalo plays at Washington on Saturday, and closes the preseason hosting Detroit on Aug. 29.

Byrd would not have been paid if he wasn't on the active roster for the first week of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9589292/buffalo-bills-seek-roster-exemption-nfl-jairus-byrd

... REGARDING BYRD......Byrd and his agent may think the bills are still trying to stick it to them by taking away one game check. The Bills approached the NFL for an exemption a day after Byrd signed his one-year, $6.9 million franchise tender. General manager Doug Whaley told The Associated Press he had not ruled out having the exemption extend into the regular season. "An extra roster spot is always a good thing," Whaley said, when asked if Byrd could be exempted for the Bills opener against New England on Sept. 8.

That request was denied because the NFL generally limits exemptions to two games. Buffalo plays at Washington on Saturday, and closes the preseason hosting Detroit on Aug. 29.

Byrd would not have been paid if he wasn't on the active roster for the first week of the season.

http://espn.go.com/n...nfl-jairus-byrd

This article would suggest that Whaley has no clue about the length of roster exemptions. Which I find hard to believe.

Did Whaley deliberately ask the league to extend the roster exemption asked for yesterday? Or was he alluding to not ruling it out if Byrd hadn't reported within the two week window? Poorly worded article.

GO BILLS!!!

This article would suggest that Whaley has no clue about the length of roster exemptions. Which I find hard to believe.

Did Whaley deliberately ask the league to extend the roster exemption asked for yesterday? Or was he alluding to not ruling it out if Byrd hadn't reported within the two week window? Poorly worded article.

GO BILLS!!!

it is posters like you that ruin this place with logical rational thought and intelligence to understanding such ridiculous things.

Don't you know we are doomed?

GO BILLS!!!

and then even that doesnt tell us his true intention.

if he can list byrd inactive until september 9 (and reactivates him on Sept 7th to play week 1) instead of the day after preseason ends, its still an advantage even if he plans to play him week 1. an extra roster spot while cuts and such are happening could help out. could be worthless but why not try to have that option in case you decide theres a reason to use it later. hand in hand with leaving no stone unturned, is not closing doors until you have to.

Edited by NoSaint

and then even that doesnt tell us his true intention.

if he can list byrd inactive until september 9 (and reactivates him on Sept 7th to play week 1) instead of the day after preseason ends, its still an advantage even if he plans to play him week 1. an extra roster spot while cuts and such are happening could help out. could be worthless but why not try to have that option in case you decide theres a reason to use it later. hand in hand with leaving no stone unturned, is not closing doors until you have to.

It's an advantage to have that roster exemption at a time you're trying to make critical personnel decisions. Whaley knows this better than you and I. But it didn't stop the hacks out there from trying to create something out of a perfectly rational and GOOD tactic at Whaley's disposal.

The Bills haven't tried to screw Byrd out of anything, let alone a game check. But these tabloid writers love to appeal to our base emotions while banking on our stupidity and ignorance.

GO BILLS!!!

It's an advantage to have that roster exemption at a time you're trying to make critical personnel decisions. Whaley knows this better than you and I. But it didn't stop the hacks out there from trying to create something out of a perfectly rational and GOOD tactic at Whaley's disposal.

GO BILLS!!!

Could be a psychological tactic on the Bills part. basically to say that 'you signed the tender but you are not God. We will keep doing whatever we need to for improving the team (keep roster spot open). Also, just because you now stride into OBD, we are not automatically going to kiss the ground you walk on." I think this sets up future negotiations with Parker and Byrd. All IMHO ofcourse.

According to Ian Rappaort he says there is still ill will between the Bills & Byrd & that Byrd would be open to a trade DUH !!

If there is a chance that he can make just Stupid money that is what they all are about now there is no sense of loyalty only to the all mighty dollar !!!

If that be the case though i hope they would trade him for a #1 & put both our #1 this coming year & the one they pick up together to get the #1 over all to get Clowney !!

Be smart with the situation Bills FO if he don't want to be here find out & don't waste time & energy on some on that doesn't want to be here !!

If there were any way possible, ANY WAY AT ALL, to turn Byrd into Clowney, I'd do that seven ways to Sunday.

GO BILLS!!!

http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/15/jairus-byrd-nfls-highest-paid-safety-buffalo-bills/

Did Sully just happen to conveniently miss all the reports about Byrd wanting to be the highest paid safety in the league? Or does he just know better and know exactly what The Bills offered and what Byrd would have accepted?

Another winner of a column from everybody's favorite asshat Sully.

According to Ian Rappaort he says there is still ill will between the Bills & Byrd & that Byrd would be open to a trade DUH !!

If there is a chance that he can make just Stupid money that is what they all are about now there is no sense of loyalty only to the all mighty dollar !!!

If that be the case though i hope they would trade him for a #1 & put both our #1 this coming year & the one they pick up together to get the #1 over all to get Clowney !!

Be smart with the situation Bills FO if he don't want to be here find out & don't waste time & energy on some on that doesn't want to be here !!

As with many of these cases, the "ill will" is likely squarely between the GM and the agent. As a player of his caliber at this stage of his career, he wants to play where he can 1)make the most money, and 2)win. Right now, Buffalo is neither of those things. That could change. But you can't fault the guy for wanting to make as much as he can while he can, his stock is higher than it has ever been, or may ever be, and there is the threat of a career-ending injury anytime he steps on the field. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

http://nfl.si.com/20...-buffalo-bills/

Did Sully just happen to conveniently miss all the reports about Byrd wanting to be the highest paid safety in the league? Or does he just know better and know exactly what The Bills offered and what Byrd would have accepted?

Another winner of a column from everybody's favorite asshat Sully.

Most of those "reports" were just forum posters with an axe to grind. I never saw anything remotely substantiated about either what Byrd was asking or what the Bills were offering.

Could be a psychological tactic on the Bills part. basically to say that 'you signed the tender but you are not God. We will keep doing whatever we need to for improving the team (keep roster spot open). Also, just because you now stride into OBD, we are not automatically going to kiss the ground you walk on." I think this sets up future negotiations with Parker and Byrd. All IMHO ofcourse.

I hear you, but I honestly don't think it's that nuanced. Teams take roster exemptions all the time. But I can see how some "journaliist" would twist it to create a sense of acrimony between the parties.

GO BILLS!!!

As with many of these cases, the "ill will" is likely squarely between the GM and the agent. As a player of his caliber at this stage of his career, he wants to play where he can 1)make the most money, and 2)win. Right now, Buffalo is neither of those things. That could change. But you can't fault the guy for wanting to make as much as he can while he can, his stock is higher than it has ever been, or may ever be, and there is the threat of a career-threatening injury anytime he steps on the field.

Can't blame Byrd at all.

Can't blame the Bills at all.

Every player, from street free agent to superstar QB, is always one play away from the threat of career-ending injury. Byrd's fortunate to be able to withstand that possibility FAR better than the average player at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

Most of those "reports" were just forum posters with an axe to grind. I never saw anything remotely substantiated about either what Byrd was asking or what the Bills were offering.

Perhaps some of them were, but they were ALL based on a real report from a local source:

Benigni has no reason to lie

Edited by thebandit27

Perhaps some of them were, but they were ALL based on a real report from a local source:

https://twitter.com/...801383921500160

I don't see a problem with him asking for this? No, he isn't the top free safety in the league (yet). But the agent's job is to sell the player and get as much $ as possible. Why not ask... someone may pay it. He is worth as much as someone is willing to pay him. Is Joe Flacco the top QB in the league? No... just the last one to get paid.

https://twitter.com/...801383921500160

That is really no sign of bad blood, or wanting a trade, or not wanting to play for the Bills at all. Players are confident in their abilities. Byrd was immediately a very good player and has gotten to be a complete player. He can truly believe, with good reason, that he is the best safety in the league, or at the very least, deserves to be paid as the best safety in the league because he is young, and healthy, and getting better, and ascending. That is how players are paid, based partly on past production and partly on future probability and possibility. His agent, Parker, likely thinks the same. The Bills, on the other hand, have a number they think he is worth, which is significantly less.

Personally, I would offer Byrd top 2-3 money, and he likely would sign the long term deal. But there is a very easy to believe scenario that the team and the player are far apart in their numbers, but that has nothing to do with asking for a trade, or bad blood, or wanting to stay or not stay.

The idea of a trade as a possibility is really a ridiculous story, IMO. Of course he would be open to a trade if the team trading for him was to give him the contract he thinks he deserves, and seems to want him significantly and value him more than the Bills do.