Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

If Byrd is traded, can other teams sign him to an extension this season?

NO !....he could be traded, but he can NOT sign an extension.

(k) Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New

York time, on July 1 5 of the League Year (or, if July 1 5 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the

first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a

multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year

Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be

extended until after the Club's last regular season game of that League Year.

https://www.nflplayers.com/about-us/CBA-Download/

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impossible.

Werder said to Rapoport said to Shefter, that Mortensen's source confirmed that Parker said to league sources that Kaplan is correct that Byrd might be open to a trade under the correct circumstances.

Haha,

If you watch the show Newsroom on HBO this sounds like an episode recently which aired.

The media these days is in such a hurry to report things they do not always worry about accuracy or sources integrity.

NO !....he could be traded, but he can NOT sign an extension.

(k) Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New

York time, on July 1 5 of the League Year (or, if July 1 5 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the

first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a

multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year

Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be

extended until after the Club's last regular season game of that League Year.

https://www.nflplaye...s/CBA-Download/

He can't sign an extension with us, but I'm pretty sure he can if he's traded. Which is what the original poster was asking. I'm only basing this on what I've heard in reports and the above quote which doesn't seem to preclude a franchised player from signing an extension with anyone besides the original team.

Come on man...Trade a Pro bowl Level Safety for a couple of journeyman CBs? Surely you jest.

@buffalobills

Byrd: Confident he can return to form with more practice time.

I said mid level, not journeymen!

Who makes a bigger difference, CBs that can cover WRs relatively well, or a Safety playing behind CBs that won't be within 5 yards of the WR they are covering?

It's obviously not going to happen, but if we are in the mode of "win now", it'd be better for us to have a couple average CBs and a couple average Safeties, than it would be to have terrible CBs and one Probowl safety, imo.

He can't sign an extension with us, but I'm pretty sure he can if he's traded. Which is what the original poster was asking. I'm only basing this on what I've heard in reports and the above quote which doesn't seem to preclude a franchised player from signing an extension with anyone besides the original team.

He cannot sign an extension with any team until after the season.

I said mid level, not journeymen!

Who makes a bigger difference, CBs that can cover WRs relatively well, or a Safety playing behind CBs that won't be within 5 yards of the WR they are covering?

It's obviously not going to happen, but if we are in the mode of "win now", it'd be better for us to have a couple average CBs and a couple average Safeties, than it would be to have terrible CBs and one Probowl safety, imo.

Would love to know what "mid level" CBs you'd have in mind if a team was inclined to give a corner up. Which I highly doubt at this juncture.

you cant renegotiate a contract the year you sign it, and he just signed a contract.

Would love to know what "mid level" CBs you'd have in mind if a team was inclined to give a corner up. Which I highly doubt at this juncture.

No clue. Just because I think it'd be a good idea, doesn't mean it's at all likely to happen.

in legaleeze the word "ONLY" is very specific

After that date, the player may sign only a one-year

Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season,