Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

None of us know what happened behind the scenes, so despite the reliability of Rapaport (who broke the news), we have no clue as to the validity of these reports. We all should hope that he is happy bc Searcy and Duke aren't even touching Jairus' productivity and reliability. Happy with A Williams progress, but we need skill in the backfield as much as any team in the NFL with only Gilmore as a proven player aside from Byrd.

Searcy - clearly has not played to Byrd's level in the PS. Duke Williams - was hurt early in camp and probably fell behind a little, give him some time

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite that simple, the latest CBA requires something like a 25% increase to any player franchised in consecutive years t ostop teams from doing this. Basically they are saying you have one year to work it out or move on. The amount was even in the paper the other day and stated that because of this big amount it's not likely he'd get tagged again. So either you sign him long term, trade him, or the Bill's are content with him walking.

We simply franchise him again.

I agree. Tag him again or trade him and make the other team give up some 1st round picks.

• Trading him for a 2nd round pick is better than letting him walk at the end of the year
  • Extending him to a long-term deal would be better than trading him for a 2nd round pick
  • Trading him for a first round pick would probably be better than extending him.

My sense is that the Bills could get at least a 2nd round pick for trading him. I also think that if we don't trade him now, there's a very strong chance of losing him at the end of the year. My gut says we should trade him.

How does Byrd walk if we can tag him again? And we can tag him a third time if we want.

PTR

From NFL.com:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that "ill will remains" between Byrd and the Buffalo Bills.

I took the time to find the above because I didn't feel that making the thread "go away" would be fair to those who took the time to post in it.

the deals not done yet - of course theres frustration still but we havent seen much on either side to say that theres legitimate hostility either.

We most certainly could, but it would extremely bad business on the Bills end.

Why? Average the 3 tags and you come up with around $9M/yr. The point is the Bills don't get pushed around by an agent. That's the message.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

the deals not done yet - of course theres frustration still but we havent seen much on either side to say that theres legitimate hostility either.

I still think this "ill will" that has been reported is between the GM and the agent. The player listens to the agent and who knows what he is telling him. His goal is to get him as big of a contract as possible, which is fine. But I really hope the Bills sign this guy to a huge deal. I don't say that a lot, but I really think he is worth it. While he may not be the best FS in the league right now, several of the other guys are on the decline - Polamalu (aging and always hurt), Reed (same), Earl Thomas and Eric Weddle are right up there, but Byrd absolutely deserves this contract and I think this position is important enough to warrant it.

Doesn't the price go up if we franchise him multiple times?

It does. $8.6M next year, $10.7M the year after. What's the average? $8.7M over 3 years. What's so bad about that?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Reports are saying there is bad blood between him and the front office.

So do we trade him or keep him?

If we would make a trade what would you expect for compensation?

Kind of a no win situation for the Bills. If his mind is made up, and it probably is, he will be gone either way. If you do trade him, and that would probably be the smartest move, you most likely will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him. Skill position players near an elite level have been going for that and less lately. If the Bills were going to give him what he wants, they would have given it to him already. I say trade him to the Seahawks like we seem to have been doing the past few years and watch him play in the Pro Bowl with Marshawn Lynch, but at least he would be in the NFC.

It does. $8.6M next year, $10.7M the year after. What's the average? $8.7M over 3 years. What's so bad about that?

PTR

It might be more than the Bills are willing to pay for him. We don't know the numbers the Bills want to give Byrd.

Kind of a no win situation for the Bills. If his mind is made up, and it probably is, he will be gone either way. If you do trade him, and that would probably be the smartest move, you most likely will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him. Skill position players near an elite level have been going for that and less lately. If the Bills were going to give him what he wants, they would have given it to him already. I say trade him to the Seahawks like we seem to have been doing the past few years and watch him play in the Pro Bowl with Marshawn Lynch, but at least he would be in the NFC.

The only way it's a no-win for the Bills is if the do something stupid like trade him. We are in control for the next 3 seasons. We win. Period.

PTR

pretty sure Parker would need the Bills permission to call around, as that would be tampering.

if Byrd and Parker don't like the hand they've been dealt.....they still have the option of going dirty by having Byrd pull up lame with some kind of injury. then he gets paid while missing games without risking long term injury.

You are correct, as soon as Byrd signed that tender, Parker needs the Bills permission to call around. Up to that point, they could do whatever they wanted, Byrd was a free agent under no contract.

If Parker actually negotiated with the Bills they'd have a deal by now. But no, Byrd had to be top-paid. Non-negotiable. Smooth move, Super agent. What now? Pitch a hissy fit through the media? Go ahead. We have two more tags to use. Call us when you're ready to deal.

PTR

Jairus Byrd believed to be open to Buffalo Bills trade

Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

+Follow on Twitter

Jairus Byrd's decision to sign his franchise tender got him in training camp. Putting pen to paper didn't alleviate all issues, however.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that "ill will remains" between Byrd and the Buffalo Bills. The two-time Pro Bowl free safety isn't demanding a trade but is believed to be open to one, according to a person informed of Byrd's thinking.

The expectation is that it will take several weeks for Byrd to get in playing shape. He'll be "extra careful," according to Rapoport. Teammates did send Byrd plays and notes during his holdout.

Byrd reportedly is looking for a deal that would make him the highest-paid safety in football. The Bills would like to keep him in Buffalo, but they believe his value falls somewhere in the top five salaries at the position.

The deadline for working out a long-term contract with a player under the franchise tag passed on July 15, so Byrd won't financially be appeased between now and the end of the season. The lingering bad blood is a subplot to track out of Orchard Park.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

If Parker actually negotiated with the Bills they'd have a deal by now. But no, Byrd had to be top-paid. Non-negotiable. Smooth move, Super agent. What now? Pitch a hissy fit through the media? Go ahead. We have two more tags to use. Call us when you're ready to deal.

PTR

PTR, I can see this happening only in the event Byrd performs at a high level in '13. If Byrd acts sluggish and disinterested I believe he'll be gone.