Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

Byrd is talented but he has an agent who has a rep as a tough negotiator and the Bills historically don't do well with those types. I don't see him in the Bills uniform next year. No matter how much money you throw at him, he wants out of Buffalo. I'd trade him to the black hole aka Oakland.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd is talented but he has an agent who has a rep as a tough negotiator and the Bills historically don't do well with those types. I don't see him in the Bills uniform next year. No matter how much money you throw at him, he wants out of Buffalo. I'd trade him to the black hole aka Oakland.

at the Bills discretion, Byrd is under team control for a minimum of one more season via use of the franchise tag for the second time in a row (+120% increase) for $8.3 million. there is no doubt in my mind that if Byrd doesn't except a reasonable long term offer, the bills will use the franchise tag again and we may be back doing the same dance all over again.

at the Bills discretion, Byrd is under team control for a minimum of one more season via use of the franchise tag for the second time in a row (+120% increase) for $8.3 million. there is no doubt in my mind that if Byrd doesn't except a reasonable long term offer, the bills will use the franchise tag again and we may be back doing the same dance all over again.

I question the logic of any team paying big $$$ to a player, who doesn't want to be on that team, for one season. I would think as a GM/coach you would go out of your way NOT to do that.

ie they dont have to cut anyone til they want to. any team wouldve filed the same.

Indeed...I just found it interesting that it lasts through the 1st regular season game (i.e. Byrd may not be on the active roster vs. NE)

its about freaking time !!!

are there any other F tags still unsigned?

Nope

Yes I mentioned this as a possibility of happening a few weeks ago.

Looks like Bills are still considering it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-seek-roster-exemption-nfl-200514809--nfl.html

it would be incredibly unproductive to "punish" him by sitting him week 1. we will carry an extra player until just before the game - perhaps even a WR and hope that once practice squads around the league and rosters are set it will be easier to get him straight to ours. byrd, even if not 100% would be available to contribute in a lot of packages. sitting him would certainly put an end to any positive momentum we might be able to start building with him as well.

Not sure if this was posted, but Ian Rappaport is reporting (say that 3 times fast) that Buffalo has been granted a roster exemption for Byrd that runs through week 1 of the regular season.

https://twitter.com/...219602774466560

Interesting.

Sounds like they know he won't be ready by Week 1.

Which is exactly what I was saying in the last few pages.

Sounds like they know he won't be ready by Week 1.

Which is exactly what I was saying in the last few pages.

They've been granted a roster exemption that they can end at any time by making him active, and this says to you that he won't be ready Week 1?

Jiminy Christmas.

I don't think anybody's saying that, but I think the assignments for an LB/S hybrid and a rush LB are going to be a bit more complex than those of the safety. That said, I'm glad he's here now vs. two weeks from now.

One presumes he'll get some game experience over those two weeks' time, though, and I can't imagine he has not been in contact with his teammates at all. I think he'll be fine.

I believe it was Gilmore who said in an interview that they where keeping Byrd filled in on play calling.

They've been granted a roster exemption that they can end at any time by making him active, and this says to you that he won't be ready Week 1?

Jiminy Christmas.

Don't let the fact that identical paperwork is filed 100% of the time on late arrivals distract you from the real story.... You know, the one that is trying to be manufactured.

Jiminy Christmas.

No, it says to me that they are leaving their options open.

Which is exactly what they are doing.

No matter how much people want to believe and hope and pray that he will fully learn this new defense and be able to efficiently execute it in two weeks time, doesn't make it true.

Don't let the fact that identical paperwork is filed 100% of the time on late arrivals distract you from the real story.... You know, the one that is trying to be manufactured.

A quick Google search of a few players who arrived late and I haven't found a single one so far where the team filed for the exemption. I'm sure I will be able to find plenty if I keep going but to say it is filed 100% of the time is ludicrous. And the times that it is filed it's most often filed because they don't know whether that player will be ready to play and they want to keep an extra player on the roster in case.

All the snide comments about manufacturing stories won't save you from the fact that what I am saying is absolutely true. They're leaving their options open because they don't know if he will be ready. If they did, then the exemption would be of no purpose.

Edited by microscopes