Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

It's kind of an interesting debate.

Would you rather have a hall of fame/former defensive MVP on the downswing of his career, or an above-average safety in his prime?

I would take the former, because I think he's largely over the injuries that have slowed him.

if its the "final piece" and you are constrained by cap so a cheaper vet on the downside can get you over the hump you may have an argument (see sharper, darren). generally speaking, i think the more global approach would be byrd

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of an interesting debate.

Would you rather have a hall of fame/former defensive MVP on the downswing of his career, or an above-average safety in his prime?

I would take the former, because I think he's largely over the injuries that have slowed him.

JR, both Troy and Ed are on the wrong side of 30 for a football player, injuries are going to happen more often, not less.

Also the way Troy and to some degree Ed play the game, injuries are going to happen. They are physical guys.

Troy being 32, but due to his style i think will be missing some games every year of his career from here on out.

Right now today, i will take Byrd over either those guys, all things equal for a SEASON.

Now if you are talking about one game and everyone is healthy and ready to go. Troy is my safety.

A few weeks back, someone around here who's a lot smarter than I am, suggested that the Bills strategy might be to "audition" Byrd this year in Pettine's D before committing to a major contract. If he falters, they are only on the hook for this year; if he excels, then the team will feel comfortable giving him the big contract he wanted this year.

Good. Fully expected this by next week.

Not sure why everyone so happy about this. Yes it's great he will be on the field, but does he really want to be on this team? Sounds to me something like we are renting him for a year. Not the way to build a franchise. He will be playing for a contract, which is good, but the guy cannot be happy being here at this moment. couldn't be.

A few weeks back, someone around here who's a lot smarter than I am, suggested that the Bills strategy might be to "audition" Byrd this year in Pettine's D before committing to a major contract. If he falters, they are only on the hook for this year; if he excels, then the team will feel comfortable giving him the big contract he wanted this year.

That may be their approach now, but it certainly wasn't their "strategy" - because we know that they did make him an offer for a long-term deal, just not one he was happy with.

That may be their approach now, but it certainly wasn't their "strategy" - because we know that they did make him an offer for a long-term deal, just not one he was happy with.

Well, that's it exactly, isn't it? Offer him a very good contract so you don't insult him, but keep it below what you know he will accept knowing full well you can franchise him & get a "free" year out of him ($8 million isn't chump change but it's a lot less than $45). If he shines in Pettine's D, as I believe he will, then you give him the big contract and with full confidence. The Bills are no worse off by delaying this for. another year.

Not sure why everyone so happy about this. Yes it's great he will be on the field, but does he really want to be on this team? Sounds to me something like we are renting him for a year. Not the way to build a franchise. He will be playing for a contract, which is good, but the guy cannot be happy being here at this moment. couldn't be.

Tha'ts not what OBD is thinking:

@JeffRussoWKBW

#Bills Russ Brandon "excited to have Jairus back" - said goal is to eventually sign him to long term contract

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Didn't you also predict Byrd would never play another down for the Bills?

PTR

Look, if this new D goes out and performs and the entire team turns things around becomes a winner, maybe just maybe Byrd comes back.

And besides, good players(and i think Byrd is one), always play better knowing they are playing for a contract.

You can look at it as the Bills are renting Byrd, but how is that different from any other guy in the NFL? The period of time?

Did you think the Bills where renting Anderson last year?

I hope he's not happy and takes it out on opposing players.

Sorry JR, but I don't think that there is 1 GM in the league that would take Reed, Woodson or Polamalu for 1 season over Byrd. All of those guys WERE great players, not good players but great players. Reed is still a good player and I don't think that the other 2 are right now. Polamalu is not even the best safety on the Steelers. Byrd is on the verge of being a great safety; he does everything well. I am not sure that he will ever get to the level that those guys were at but none of them are there anymore.