Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

I doubt they put in a clause to not be able to tag him next year but I really wanted them to get this guy locked in long term.

Story on NFL.com says they didn't.

"Albert Breer reported that Byrd's tender didn't contain a no-tag provision for 2014, meaning the Bills could franchise him again next year."

So we got him for at least 2 more years! Sweet! I hope after we make the playoffs this year he decides to sign a long term deal.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why he signed was due to the benjamins‎ not because he wanted to join the fun of the defense.

If a player is not signed within a certain number of days before start of season (do not remember exact number of days) a team can ask for a roster exemption for player - players get paid per game and if player is not on active roster then he does not get part of franchise tag money. He waited until last possible day.

Here is article backing this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-safety-jairus-byrd-signs-020937564--nfl.html

The timing of Byrd's signing should not come as a surprise. The move was made to give Byrd enough time to assure him of collecting his entire salary.

Had he waited another week, the Bills - under NFL rules - could have been put in a position to ask the league for a one- or two-week roster exemption, during which time Byrd would not have been paid.

That option is now off the table, with Byrd having two weeks to prepare for the Bills' opener against New England on Sept. 8.

Edited by BillsWatch

We were doing fine without him... I'm all for it as long he doesn't mess up what Pettine has started.

How is adding a talent like Byrd going to mess things up?

I would rather have polamalu right now than any of those guys in their prime.

Not sure about that JR. I would take him in his prime but not now. He has been injured and on the downside for a few years.

We were doing fine without him... I'm all for it as long he doesn't mess up what Pettine has started.

No we were not. Through the camp, I did not hear a single praise about Meeks or the other rookie. Searcy's name was on print for all the wrong reasons. The only bright spot from the backfield was the play of Gilmore and Williams. Considering the weakness in the 2nd CB position I cannot wait for Byrd to get back on the field.

Not sure about that JR. I would take him in his prime but not now. He has been injured and on the downside for a few years.

Understand why you say that. My thinking is this:

Polamalu (and reed) are game changers. They single handedly win you games. Guys like Byrd and Weddle don't. From what I have read, polamalu is healthy again (he has trained differently to account for his calf problems).

Understand why you say that. My thinking is this:

Polamalu (and reed) are game changers. They single handedly win you games. Guys like Byrd and Weddle don't. From what I have read, polamalu is healthy again (he has trained differently to account for his calf problems).

Did you watch the Arizona game last season. Who was the biggest game changer on the field that day? Hint Hint.

Well done by first-year GM Doug Whaley. Don't cave, don't estrange the player, just wait it out and welcome him back.

Smart, smart approach.

Now the team has it's best safety back in the fold, which brings the level of the defense up significantly from starting Searcy.

Now let's get EJ healthy and get the season rolling.