Donald Jones retires, cites Kidney disease

boyst

I never got his detractors. Thought he was really starting to come into his own. without that one high ankle sprain, he could have really blossomed.

I guess were on opposite sides of the coin here - never got his fans. He was forced into a role where he HAD to have some production just by being on the field, but never saw him show much that was special

I never got his detractors. Thought he was really starting to come into his own. without that one high ankle sprain, he could have really blossomed.

I'm in this camp. He showed me enough in very brief outings to believe he could become a very good WR. I was nervous when the Pats* signed him quick to a lengthy contract as we all know what they have at QB. As an aside, I'm excited that the Patriots lost ANOTHER receiver!! Woo-hooooo!

Best wishes for a long, happy life, Donald.

Alright, you guys got me wondering. Maybe it is just because JR is in Pittsburgh now... but if DJones did blossom, what would his ceiling be? A solid #2? At best? A version of Josh Reed we wanted and never got at a #2.5?

Alright, you guys got me wondering. Maybe it is just because JR is in Pittsburgh now... but if DJones did blossom, what would his ceiling be? A solid #2? At best? A version of Josh Reed we wanted and never got at a #2.5?

A solid possession receiver.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Teams are built around superstars, but built BY the solid, workmanlike players.

I saw him as a solid 2; more of a speed guy than reed. Recall that really nice slant he turned into a 60 yard TD last year against the jets. That was a real glimmer of potential. Also, recall the 2-3 weeks leading up to that high ankle sprain 2 years ago-- he was the best receiver on the team.

I think injuries and some dropsies were his downside. But I thought he showed real potential.

Holy ****. :blink:

No kidding, that is scary. God bless him and may he recover from this disease.

I liked him as a player. He did not strike me as an All-Pro, but he did make plays as a WR and on special teams, and I thought he was a decent-to-good #2 WR.

Sad news indeed.

D.Jones will always have a great moment in Bills history as he was instrumental in ending out losing streak against the Pats* a couple of years ago. He had 101 yards on 5 catches that game and he flashed potiental at times the past couple of years. I wish the guy all the best.

D.Jones never struck me as a guy that could be a top 2 WR and his skills didn't translate that well to the slot. But I always thought his ceiling was a 4th WR that could make a big play here and there

Edited by billsfan89

D.Jones will always have a great moment in Bills history as he was instrumental in ending out losing streak against the Pats* a couple of years ago. He had 101 yards on 5 catches that game and he flashed potiental at times the past couple of years. I wish the guy all the best.

D.Jones never struck me as a guy that could be a top 2 WR and his skills didn't translate that well to the slot. But I always thought his ceiling was a 4th WR that could make a big play here and there

Bad ball awareness skills. Could catch the slant, but always looked terrible trying to lock in on a sideline throw. Great blocker. You're right; not a top-two guy but somebody who could contribute and make a play here and there.

Sad when something you can't control takes away your dream, though.

Holy ****. :blink:

A couple years ago, I went to the doctor with a splitting headache (had the headache for a few days and it was literally bringing me to tears) ... I've never been one to get headaches and it seemed odd. I was guessing I had a sinus infection.

The LPN took my temperature, then my BP. She said, "hmmm." Then asked to take it using my other arm.

She said, "I need to get another nurse, I think I'm doing something wrong."

Another LPN came in, took my BP, then said, "I need to get the doctor."

Doctor came in, took my BP and told me it was 225 over 130. She then told me I could have either a stroke or a heart attack at any moment, then proceeded to do a quick neurological-type test (follow the pen with your eyes, etc.) to see if anything may have already happened.

Sent to the hospital where I was given a pill to "crash" my BP, given an CT Scan and an ECG.

By the grace of God, the headache was the only side affect.

I continue to be on BP medications, but through weight loss and quitting smoking, I'm hoping to come off of them.

Either way ... I'm thankful that nothing more serious happened to Donald Jones. Heaven forbid he was not being monitored and continued to work out at that pace.

I always liked this guy as a Bill and he's always seemed like a good person. I wish him the best and I think it's really cool that he's going to the home opener to see his former teammates.

Here's to a long, happy, prosperous life.

Did he say what disease he has?

Berger's disease or IgA nephropathy, it's an immune disorder resulting in the accumulation of IgA in the subunits of the kidney. It's a very bad disorder, could result in being on dialysis if his kidney's fail. At 25, that's pretty rough.