An outsider's view of the 2013 Bills.

Veteran NFL writer, Pat Kirwan, visited the Bills' training recently and came away with these observations:

1. EJ Manuel will start from Day 1. - I think that is a very good thing. He will develop faster the sooner that he can experience the real bullets flying around.

2. OG A. Caldwell will win the starting LG spot. - Brown/legursky/Caldwell will battle it out for sure.

3. Byrd will sign with the Bills one week before the season starts. - I hope it's sooner than that.

4. While the Bills's defense blitzed the least amount last year, expect to see plenty of blitzes from them this year, especially from the LB and S positions. - Finally, the Bills have caught up with the rest of the NFL.

5. Mario is fine. - That remains to be seen, but it looks like the media was making a mountain out of a mole hill.

6. Four rookies will start: Manuel, Alonso, Woods, Hopkins. - I guess that means that he thinks they'll all make the final roster as well. If Hopkins unseats Lindell it will be a big deal.

7. He expects to see solid contributions from Goodwin at WR and from D. Williams and J. Meeks on ST. - I would expect the same, although there are still many doubters regarding Goodwin's route running ability.

8. The Bills' offense will run the "No-Huddle". They already look good running it in practice. - That's good news.

9. There could be as many as NINE new starters in 2013. He expects the Bills to get better as the season moves on rather than fade as they have in the recent past. - We can only hope that the rookies get better with more experience.

10. He expects Alonso to be in on 90% of the defensive plays. - I think it's pretty clear that the Bills expect Alonso to be a three down LB.

11. He likened WR D. Rogers to a young Randy Moss. - Wow!!

12. He expects the Bills' offense to use a lot of two RB sets with Spiller and Jackson plus three WRs (likely SJ, Woods, and Graham). - Hackett has said on numerous occasions that he plans to play the five best offensive players at the skill positions as much as possible. I'm sure Chandler will be mixed in a lot as well.

13. F. Jackson is the leader of the team. - And a darn good one at that!!

14. He was pleasantly surprised by LB K. Brown's pass rushing ability. - That seemed like news to me.

15. He liked what he saw from LB J. Hughes as a pass rusher. - We need him to be.

16. He expects the Bills to finish 7-9 in 2013. - That may be about right with so many rookies playing key roles, especially at QB, but it does give us hope for the future, which is not something that we had last year.

The article: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22951661/bills-observations-in-qb-battle-prepared-rookie-manuel-looks-to-get-nod.

Your comments??

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved every single line in that. Well done. And it truly is from an outsider and not someone that drink all the OBD KoolAid.

Especially thought the Mario tale was good. Chances are, as a small market team with the highest paid defensive player in history, we as fans and our 2nd rate media teams, we blew this out of proportion.

I don't agree with 7-9 though. Believe well be at least 8-8 this year. Of course it all depends on EJ to get on his game sooner than later though.

Kirwan is a good analyst who does not use fluff, aka Peter King and others. He gets to the point and knows football

He makes a hell of an analyst on nfln radio. He, Ross tucker. Gil Brandt. Many great talents

EJ = Russell Wilson- but TALLER :))))

But seriously, as a Buckeye fan, I saw a lot of Wilson in college at Wisc. There are a lot of similarities. Smart, confident leader capable of big plays. Except, Russell's team didn't always win and he certainly wasn't highly regarded going into the draft. Great athlete and off the charts above the shoulders. Supremely focused, hard worker and dedicated to winning. I see these same things in EJ. And this is why Russell rose to be the starter in Seattle even though he was a 3rd round pick, too short, they gave Matt Flynn a huge contract, etc. etc. He did have some really bad games early on for Seattle but the coaches stuck with him and he just got better and better, eventually to the playoffs and it wasn't his fault they lost to ATL. He did everything to win that game. Anyway, EJ wasn't a 3rd round pick but he would have been if he was Wilson's height. We can only hope we have the same formula here. Plus, opponents had to respect the running game with Lynch which opened things up for him to pass. We will hopefully have the same thing going on, based on CJ's performance last year. One "expert" on ESPN predicted CJ to become THE best back in the league this year. I think it was Brian Dawkins.

Veteran NFL writer, Pat Kirwan, visited the Bills' training recently and came away with these observations:

1. EJ Manuel will start from Day 1. - I think that is a very good thing. He will develop faster the sooner that he can experience the real bullets flying around.

2. OG A. Caldwell will win the starting LG spot. - Brown/legursky/Caldwell will battle it out for sure.

3. Byrd will sign with the Bills one week before the season starts. - I hope it's sooner than that.

4. While the Bills's defense blitzed the least amount last year, expect to see plenty of blitzes from them this year, especially from the LB and S positions. - Finally, the Bills have caught up with the rest of the NFL.

5. Mario is fine. - That remains to be seen, but it looks like the media was making a mountain out of a mole hill.

6. Four rookies will start: Manuel, Alonso, Woods, Hopkins. - I guess that means that he thinks they'll all make the final roster as well. If Hopkins unseats Lindell it will be a big deal.

7. He expects to see solid contributions from Goodwin at WR and from D. Williams and J. Meeks on ST. - I would expect the same, although there are still many doubters regarding Goodwin's route running ability.

8. The Bills' offense will run the "No-Huddle". They already look good running it in practice. - That's good news.

9. There could be as many as NINE new starters in 2013. He expects the Bills to get better as the season moves on rather than fade as they have in the recent past. - We can only hope that the rookies get better with more experience.

10. He expects Alonso to be in on 90% of the defensive plays. - I think it's pretty clear that the Bills expect Alonso to be a three down LB.

12. He expects the Bills' offense to use a lot of two RB sets with Spiller and Jackson plus three WRs (likely SJ, Woods, and Graham). - Hackett has said on numerous occasions that he plans to play the five best offensive players at the skill positions as much as possible. I'm sure Chandler will be mixed in a lot as well.

14. He was pleasantly surprised by LB K. Brown's pass rushing ability. - That seemed like news to me.

15. He liked what he saw from LB J. Hughes as a pass rusher. - We need him to be.

16. He expects the Bills to finish 7-9 in 2013. - That may be about right with so many rookies playing key roles, especially at QB, but it does give us hope for the future, which is not something that we had last year.

The article: http://www.cbssports...ooks-to-get-nod.

Your comments??

I missed the story on Da'Rick Rogers from the draft, just remember that supposedly he was a steal because of off-field issues but the talent is there? What are his issues? Edited by YoloInTheBlo

But seriously, as a Buckeye fan, I saw a lot of Wilson in college at Wisc. There are a lot of similarities. Smart, confident leader capable of big plays. Except, Russell's team didn't always win and he certainly wasn't highly regarded going into the draft. Great athlete and off the charts above the shoulders. Supremely focused, hard worker and dedicated to winning. I see these same things in EJ. And this is why Russell rose to be the starter in Seattle even though he was a 3rd round pick, too short, they gave Matt Flynn a huge contract, etc. etc. He did have some really bad games early on for Seattle but the coaches stuck with him and he just got better and better, eventually to the playoffs and it wasn't his fault they lost to ATL. He did everything to win that game. Anyway, EJ wasn't a 3rd round pick but he would have been if he was Wilson's height. We can only hope we have the same formula here. Plus, opponents had to respect the running game with Lynch which opened things up for him to pass. We will hopefully have the same thing going on, based on CJ's performance last year. One "expert" on ESPN predicted CJ to become THE best back in the league this year. I think it was Brian Dawkins.

I missed the story on Da'Rick Rogers from the draft, just remember that supposedly he was a steal because of off-field issues but the talent is there? What are his issues?

Multiple failed drug tests at Tennessee that got him kicked off the team.

Even with the failed drug tests and character issues, I was pretty surprised that a guy with a late first round/early second round grade would go undrafted.

As was I. It seemed as though a guy like Tyran Matheau has just as many, if not more, off the field red flags and he was picked up in the the 3rd round. Matheau is very talented at his DB position, but Rogers may be just as talented on the other side of the ball. It's a bit puzzling, but I'm sure glad it worked out the way it did.

As was I. It seemed as though a guy like Tyran Matheau has just as many, if not more, off the field red flags and he was picked up in the the 3rd round. Matheau is very talented at his DB position, but Rogers may be just as talented on the other side of the ball. It's a bit puzzling, but I'm sure glad it worked out the way it did.

Yea it really wouldnt surprise if by the end of the year he is our #2 wr and within a few years perhaps even our #1. I know we have Stevie but I feel like Da'Rick is physically more talented.

With regards to picking him up as a UDFA, yes. We still have to see if he makes the final roster (I bet he will) and then what happens as the season goes on. Character issues typically don't show up until well into the season - after you're done trying to get a job.

Your comments??

Wow, we are fully in "hope renewed" mode now. Yikes. Wasn't this the sentiment last year at this time? Best front 4 in the league, solid O line , Spiller is awesome, playoffs for sure this year, blah blah blah. a half a dozen significant starter IR injuries later and their sitting with a top 10 draft pick -- again. Show me the baby.

Wow, we are fully in "hope renewed" mode now. Yikes. Wasn't this the sentiment last year at this time? Best front 4 in the league, solid O line , Spiller is awesome, playoffs for sure this year, blah blah blah. a half a dozen significant starter IR injuries later and their sitting with a top 10 draft pick -- again. Show me the baby.

Curses! When will the rest of us learn never to be optimistic in any fashion...we must all disregard any positives we see/hear until the team produces a playoff berth. Thanks for the reminder.

We didn't factor in the complete ineptitude of the coach staff.

Yes, because the Bills are the only team in the league that can't withstand "significant starter IR injuries."

But seriously, what is wrong with unbridled optimism? Why the need to decry it in others?

GO BILLS!!!

Difference is ESPN did not give updates and keep Rogers relevant like they did with Matheau. This could also be a product of where and how the programs where doing. LSU in National Championship hunt over the past several years. Tenn has not be relevant for a long time.

Yes, because the Bills are the only team in the league that can't withstand "significant starter IR injuries."

But seriously, what is wrong with unbridled optimism? Why the need to decry it in others?

GO BILLS!!!

because 8and8forever isn't his screen name because we have been mediocre for ever and there's no hope of getting out of it. It's because he hopes we are 8 and 8 forever because he's a miserable person and he wants to be right at something.

While I enjoy listening to Kirwan I'll temper the enthusiasm somewhat, if only because Pat has a radio show and unlike "controversial" hosts he really enjoys talking to the fans. I think he tends to be pretty optimistic and looks for the bright side with all teams, because he doesn't want to alienate the fans who call in.

That said, he really does know the game and his encouraging feedback is something to take seriously.

because 8and8forever isn't his screen name because we have been mediocre for ever and there's no hope of getting out of it. It's because he hopes we are 8 and 8 forever because he's a miserable person and he wants to be right at something.

Takes no balls to be negative all the time. It's all upside no matter how things turn out.

GO BILLS!!!

While I enjoy listening to Kirwan I'll temper the enthusiasm somewhat, if only because Pat has a radio show and unlike "controversial" hosts he really enjoys talking to the fans. I think he tends to be pretty optimistic and looks for the bright side with all teams, because he doesn't want to alienate the fans who call in.

That said, he really does know the game and his encouraging feedback is something to take seriously.

Interesting...I didn't take Kirwan's assessment as unrelenting optimism, but rather him accentuating the things he did like about the team. I do agree that there's a lot to be intrigued by...most fans I talk to have the same opinion: nobody knows what to expect.

Loved every single line in that. Well done. And it truly is from an outsider and not someone that drink all the OBD KoolAid.

Especially thought the Mario tale was good. Chances are, as a small market team with the highest paid defensive player in history, we as fans and our 2nd rate media teams, we blew this out of proportion.

I don't agree with 7-9 though. Believe well be at least 8-8 this year. Of course it all depends on EJ to get on his game sooner than later though.

You may be right but look through the lens of an outsider. We have a new head coach. A new OC and offensive scheme. A new DC and defensive scheme. A new QB, probably a rookie, and several new starters. How often does all that up to a playoff contender? Conventional wisdom says this is a two year (or more) rebuilding project.

Takes no balls to be negative all the time. It's all upside no matter how things turn out.

GO BILLS!!!

preaching to the choir here bro.

You may be right but look through the lens of an outsider. We have a new head coach. A new OC and offensive scheme. A new DC and defensive scheme. A new QB, probably a rookie, and several new starters. How often does all that up to a playoff contender? Conventional wisdom says this is a two year (or more) rebuilding project.

you might be right. That's why I said it really depended on EJ. I could go further but the loss of Gailey, Wanny, Fitz were all addition by subtraction IMO. If we had a decent defense last year and a coach that ran the ball 5 more times a game than he did we prolly would have been 9-7 last year.

preaching to the choir here bro.

you might be right. That's why I said it really depended on EJ. I could go further but the loss of Gailey, Wanny, Fitz were all addition by subtraction IMO. If we had a decent defense last year and a coach that ran the ball 5 more times a game than he did we prolly would have been 9-7 last year.

Well, I hope you are right. If Marrone, Pettine and EJ are all as good as we hope, the Bills will be exciting this year.

True enough. Also, we have to look at Indy last year. We are essentially hoping to do exactly what they did. They had a lot of rookies step up and the new coaching staff excelled. And a lot of it came down to finishing games. They came through in the clutch several times. I think the talent we brought in can easily accomplish the same results. It's just a matter of doing it.

3 wins 13 losses

Every time you make a prediction you add another win. When Marrone was hired, you insisted 0-16...then, for awhile, it was 2-14...now, 3-13. I'll bet by September you're right with the Senator.

Glad to see that even the most determined-to-be-miserable can be converted...albeit slowly.

I've had that pappa oscar sierra on ignore but not because he's negative.

He's on ignore because he adds zero to the discussion and has no interesting insights about football.

Every time you make a prediction you add another win. When Marrone was hired, you insisted 0-16...then, for awhile, it was 2-14...now, 3-13. I'll bet by September you're right with the Senator.

Glad to see that even the most determined-to-be-miserable can be converted...albeit slowly.

He's just trying to avoid looking like a complete fool by season's end.

Another one whose contributions are less than zero.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Your comments??

He forgot a few ...

17. The home/season opener vs. the Pats will be rainbows and lollipops day at the Ralph.

18. Free hookers for the men at halftime.

19. Beautiful sunny weather in Buffalo, highs in the mid-70s in January when the Bills host the playoffs.

Honestly, in one thread everyone here slams media and reporters, in the next they're one syllable shy of the word of god.

He's even more positive on twitter:

He probably just got done smoking about a quarter ounce.

Edited by TaskersGhost

He forgot a few ...

17. The home/season opener vs. the Pats will be rainbows and lollipops day at the Ralph.

18. Free hookers for the men at halftime.

19. Beautiful sunny weather in Buffalo, highs in the mid-70s in January when the Bills host the playoffs.

Honestly, in one thread everyone here slams media and reporters, in the next they're one syllable shy of the word of god.

He probably just got done smoking about a quarter ounce.

Another well-thought out, stellar contribution. Troll.

Good point, as a near prototype in all physical regards Rogers has more potential as a WR than Mathieu does as a DB. I think the difference is that teams are desperate for depth at defensive back. When it comes to wide receivers, it is more about quality on draft day so the ones with question marks tend to slide.

The Bills were guilty of reaching for a defensive back just a couple years ago when they took Aaron Williams. Maybe he will emerge as a safety(please become another Antrel Rolle) but he wasn't even a full time starter at Texas as a CB and he stunk at CB for the Bills.

Teams get DB-panic on draft day and I think they lose sight of the fact that they are expending important picks on players who are not going win matchups with the receivers they are facing. If your pass defense is getting beaten like a drum with a free agent like Drayton Florence out there, a guy like Aaron Williams at cornerback is still going to get you beaten like a drum. I think it's better to use those important picks on players who win matchups for you and focus on ways to scheme to minimize your flaws.

Kirwan was humbled by his 15 years in the league where he basically rose up the ranks of bad organizations by helping stock them with poor talent until he finally went bust as a boss at the Jets during the Rich Kotite era. If anyone knows how Dick Jauron feels when he says "it's hard to win in the NFL", it's Kirwan. I am sure that guy wakes up with a smile every day knowing that he gets paid to observe and talk football instead of what he probably would be doing if Hugh Culverhouse or Bill Bidwell could get any good personnel men to work for him. Matt Millen isn't anywhere near as critical either after his interlude as a GM between talking head gigs. :thumbsup:

Your comments??

Interesting take.

... eventually to the playoffs and it wasn't his fault they lost to ATL. He did everything to win that game. ...

Well, except for throwing an interception on the last play. He had a good game and a good rookie season. Before crowning his ass, let's see if he has a sophomore jinx now that DCs have had a full off season to prepare for him.

It's because he hopes we are 8 and 8 ...

I would be extremely happy if we went 8 and 8 this year and ended the 8 straight losing seasons! I really want playoffs, but 8-8 I could live with this year.

... the loss of Gailey, Wanny, Fitz were all addition by subtraction IMO

Too early to tell. It's only addition by subtraction if you get someone better in the place of what you shipped out. I thought firing Dick Jauron was addition by subtraction, but I was wrong. Gailey was worse. 3 straight 7-9s is better than 2 straight 6-10s.

I'm hoping for a great season and will be rooting like hell starting next week. But I can't start crowning anyone until I see it on the field and in the standings.

After hopping on the bandwagon until reason to jump off with the last 4 coaches, this time I'm taking a new approach. I'm off the bandwagon until there is reason to jump on.