EJ signs

Yes, they usually have insurance contracts that cover them for what their contract was worth (estimated) if they get injured.

This is correct. Friend of mine is an agent and I asked him about that a few weeks ago post draft right when all the rookies were starting their mini camps. Can't remember all the specifics, this conversation was late afternoon after 18 holes and quite a few cold ones.

So he was at all the workouts without his contract signed? Is that normal for rookies?

up until the last CBA, most rookies never signed until mid to late July...especially anyone from rounds 1 - 3....the reason for the change was the fact that teams were paying players taken in the top 15 substantial amounts of money and getting busts in return..ie: Ryan Leaf QB and so on...anyways, rookies were always expected to be at mandatory camps that were held in May/June

How disappointing. I was looking forward to the 75 page thread about his holdout and how he's an ingrate for not signing on the cheap. :devil:

Now all we've got to look forward to is the Byrd contract machinations.

Oh the horror!

[/s]

Have to admit, the rookie wage scale took a lot of horse crap out of rookie contract negotiations. I don't think it's played out as well for tenured FA vets like they had hoped. Most of the big dough is going to the star QBs, and older vets are not cashing in like they thought they would.

This is a great time to be a Bills fan. We've got nowhere to go but up.

One of the great things about dropping out of the top 10 is that The Bills can extend his 4 year deal by an additional year. If he was a top 10 pick they'd have to pay him the average of the top 10 players in the league at his position = $$$$. Players taken from 11 - 32 can be extended but have to be paid the average of the third to 25th highest paid players at their position = $$.

Is that normal of a rookie first rounder?

A lot of 1st round picks have been getting them.

my guess is a $4.84 million signing bonus

I'll assume that is the reality, and if so, excellent. I don't know if I like fully guaranteed rookie contracts.

Now that everyone has been signed, it will be interesting in the next 30 days to see if we hear any reports on negotiations with Byrd.

One could think that maybe the Bills wanted to get the entire draft class signed before extending Byrd.

CBF

I never understand the logic that says that football teams can only negotiate one contract at a time.

This kind of explanation is searching for meaning when the answer is pretty simple: they negotiate multiple contracts and player evaluations, etc, at the same time. Byrd isn't signed yet for a ton of reasons. None of them likely to do with whether the Bills are negotiating rookie contracts.

I'll assume that is the reality, and if so, excellent. I don't know if I like fully guaranteed rookie contracts.

so says Fox Sports (AP). Is that you JW?

The Buffalo Bills signed rookie quarterback EJ Manuel to a four-year contract worth $8.9 million on Friday.

The team announced the signing, and a person familiar with the deal revealed the terms speaking on the condition of anonymity because the Bills did not release any details of the contract. The person said the contract includes a $4.84 million signing bonus.

:rolleyes:

yep. 4-years, $8.9 million with $4.84 guaranteed. there is an option for a 5th year, but it's considered a 4-year deal.

jw

come year 4 we will know pretty solidly if we want him or not. if we do odds are hes played well enough that we are already having to look at re-negotiating