QB competition

At first I thought that whoever wins the battle between Kolb and Tarvaris would stay and the other cut, and maybe Corp would stay on as #3.

Now I kind of think that Kolb starts, EJ is the back-up and may take over during the season. And TJax is #3 with Tuel on the PS. TJax may ask for his release if he is #3. But it depends on how far Manuel progresses in camp. Kolb could get hurt and Marrone go with TJax until Manuel is ready.

what i'd like to see

1. i'd love to see manuel win the starting job and have it not be close.

2. whoever wins the competition of kolb and jackson.

3. i'm assuming it would be tuel over corp.

what i think i'll see

1. kolb with the starting job early

2. manuel behind kolb learning and maybe getting spot/mop up duty until ready to start.

3. still assuming tuel over corp.

bottom line is i would love to see manuel take the starting job from the beginning and not let go. however, with kolb or jackson as the starting veteran qb, the coaches can bring manuel along at his own pace, whatever that may be. at least, until we are losing and the fans are screaming for the rookie.

Back in the good-ole-days, Manuel would sit and learn. Not the case anymore in the NFL. Yes, it's ENTIRELY up to EJ, but if he shines from this day on @ OBD, go with him. Tavaris Jackson? Really?? Kolb is Fitz2, quality backup. Whatever, on the other 2... It's a brand new regime with a brand new, tweaked WCO. He who shows best, plays.

I really don't think they Drafted Manuel with the thought that he'll begin to realize his upside ridin' the pine behind Kolb. Not in this town, with this dozen years of futility. They'd throw away another season with either of the vet QB's at the helm and further delay EJ's learning curve. For better or worse, play the kid in HIS new offense.

JMO

Back in the good-ole-days, Manuel would sit and learn. Not the case anymore in the NFL. Yes, it's ENTIRELY up to EJ, but if he shines from this day on @ OBD, go with him. Tavaris Jackson? Really?? Kolb is Fitz2, quality backup. Whatever, on the other 2... It's a brand new regime with a brand new, tweaked WCO. He who shows best, plays.

I really don't think they Drafted Manuel with the thought that he'll begin to realize his upside ridin' the pine behind Kolb. Not in this town, with this dozen years of futility. They'd throw away another season with either of the vet QB's at the helm and further delay EJ's learning curve. For better or worse, play the kid in HIS new offense.

JMO

I don't think you know until you get him into camp and preseason. In recent examples Luck and RGIII and Russell Wilson all played well right from the start. But they were further advanced. Kaep may be a better example and he sat for the year.

I think that Marrone and Hackett probably don't know at all themselves. It matters how well Kolb looks and how quickly EJ picks it up. I think Kolb starts but it could go either way.

At first I thought that whoever wins the battle between Kolb and Tarvaris would stay and the other cut, and maybe Corp would stay on as #3.

Now I kind of think that Kolb starts, EJ is the back-up and may take over during the season. And TJax is #3 with Tuel on the PS. TJax may ask for his release if he is #3. But it depends on how far Manuel progresses in camp. Kolb could get hurt and Marrone go with TJax until Manuel is ready.

More or less. We will not have a UDFA at #2 as the OP suggests. When they say a prospect like tuel looks good it means he might challenge for a roster spot, maybe.

I don't think you know until you get him into camp and preseason. In recent examples Luck and RGIII and Russell Wilson all played well right from the start. But they were further advanced. Kaep may be a better example and he sat for the year.

I think that Marrone and Hackett probably don't know at all themselves. It matters how well Kolb looks and how quickly EJ picks it up. I think Kolb starts but it could go either way.

I think it will depend on how the whole team looks. If it takes a while for the new offense to jell, then Kolb's the guy. If somehow it clicks right a way, and the defense at least looks average, I could see Manuel taking over early.

I don't want another Gabbert situation, where the team drags the QB down. More a Kap or Wilson situation, where EJ can get comfortable and won't have to shoulder the entire load out of the gate...

This is not your Grandfather's NFL! Kidding aside, I think there's a good chance Manuel starts for us. It really depends on what Marrone's expectations are for this season. That's a nice thing about our QB situation - whoever starts for us at the beginning of the season says a lot about our H.C.'s genuine expectations.

If the Bills want to win this year - if they're going into this season expecting to try to win the Super Bowl, and they believe that, then they'll probably start Kolb - unless Manuel or someone else simply lights it up during training camp. If things unfold the way most would expect, and Manuel needs a year or so to get acclimated to the NFL, then they'd be better off starting Kolb if they want to win.

However, if they are going about the year more like they just want to put together the roster the way they like it, and then let them play, and let the young guys learn on the job, and if they lose - well, no one expected them to win it all anyway. So, unless EJ Manuel is reportedly the best QB throughout camp, his starting the year would indicate to me their priority isn't necessarily to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR, but to let Manuel and the team build chemistry and experience right off.

Honestly, I think I'd rather we let Manuel play - if he's able to pick it up quick enough - and just let him get the growing pains out of the way. Doesn't it seem like he's going to have to go through that rocky start no matter when he starts?

On another note - I've watched some video of Tuel, and I really like what I see. That kid has an arm! Actually, he reminds me of Manuel in terms of size and mobility, and arm strength. I think it was a good move picking him up, because our offense shouldn't have to change much or adapt to him, if ever he's called on to play.

Ya, I'm pretty sure they decided to keep T-Jax because of Kolb's injury history and that they will start him over EJ if Kolb goes down.Unless EJ pulls a Russell Wilson, he won't be starting for a year or two.

Kolb

EJ

Tuel.

TJax gets cut/asks for his release.

Corp cut.

Kolb plays well behind the Bills line and with the running game he has in Buffalo. Bills make the playoffs

Kolb is starter next season till he gets injuried. EJ comes in and takes the Bills to the SB. The Bills win the SB over the Pack! Ha

What do y'all think the position of the QBs are going to be this year?

I think

1. Manuel

2. Tuel or Kolb

3. The one that doesn't get the #2 spot.

Tuel looks pretty good, and Kolb is looking good also.

Cut.

Aaron Corp

Tarvaris Jackson

So you think the Bills are going to start a rookie that everyone including them has said is basically a project and then back him up with an undrafted rookie? WOW

Kolb is going to start and will most if not the entire year. Manuel will be the backup and TJax will be #3 with Tuel potentially on the PS

The Bills just drafted a QB in the 1st Round...He is going to be starting on Opening Day. If he does great, awesome. If not, the front office still can play the "the QB class was a weak one this year", and hopefully, move on knowing they still picked up a couple of potential starters in this draft. If EJ shows no progress, bide your time until the Bills are drafting in the top 10 for a draft that has a lot of QB talent, and try it all over again.

So you think the Bills are going to start a rookie that everyone including them has said is basically a project and then back him up with an undrafted rookie?

I agree that the backup won't be an undrafted rookie.

But can you tell me where the Bills "basically said that EJ is a project?"

I'm of two minds if EJ should start right away or not. I think he seems poised enough to take early lumps and still grow, so I'm generally a fan of him being handed the reigns. Kolb and TJ make 2 and 3, the UDFA guy is camp fodder.

So you think the Bills are going to start a rookie that everyone including them has said is basically a project and then back him up with an undrafted rookie? WOW

Kolb is going to start and will most if not the entire year. Manuel will be the backup and TJax will be #3 with Tuel potentially on the PS

I'm sure that's what they said about Russel Wilson, " hes a 3rd rounder he wont start he will be the #3" Where is he now? It doesn't matter the round!

I agree that the backup won't be an undrafted rookie.

But can you tell me where the Bills "basically said that EJ is a project?"

First of all I said they basically said he was a project

If you bothered to listen to interviews with Marrone one of the first things he mentioned was how EJ was the backup to Ponder and how well he handled it, then said all the usual stuff that he would need to work on but also talked about how at FSU he was only asked to read one side of the field so he will need to learn how to read the entire field in the NFL

Manuel may end up starting towards the end of the year if the bills are out of it but he certainly won't be starting week 1

My prediction is Kolb starts this entire season unless he is injured or the team really is struggling. EJ will be learning the ropes and improving on himself, TJack or Corp will be cut. I think Corp will more likely be that guy as TJack may be able to assist EJ with the clipboard being a mobile QB Vet himself. On the flip side I can also see TJack going and Corp staying from a management and salary perspective.

1. Kolb

2. EJ

3. TJack

All and all, I want to see what Kolb has offer; he is a RD 2 QB (@36) with a 78.9 QB Rating after 19 games. It seems everytime he gets going, he gets smashed in the head and knocked out and let go because of contractual reasons.

GIve the guy a chance, he might be the man.

Edited by maverick544

I think you got it. Kolb starts unless he gets hurt in preseason. TJax is the insurance policy and likely takes over if Kolb gets hurt early. EJ may play sometime during the season, or he may be kept on the bench a year to watch 'n learn. The worst thing they could do to EJ is throw him into the fire before he's ready. Whichever is the better of Corp or Tuel may stay on the practice squad.

I'd rather they start the kids and let them grow together. We'd take some lumps early on but be the better for it later.

(shakes head) no way man. The last thing you want is to start a young QB before he's solid in his reads and his progressions. He starts hearing footsteps and looking over his shoulder instead of downfield. That disease has plagued Kolb. We don't want EJ to catch it.

Every situation is different.

There are a multitude of factors which will determine if EJ will be a precocious rookie starter or not.

There are precedents for every scenario of this discussion.

Obviously we'll know more as the OTAs and minicamps come and go and we start hearing how the QBs are acclimating.

But my point is, I wouldn't rule out EJ starting from day one nor would I assume that doing so would be a bad thing for his development.

I really wonder about the kolb signing now that we know more about the offense they want to run and kniwing they stood a good chance getting there guy ej. Seems clear now they want an uptempo offense built on team speed at all the talent positions. Ej fits the bill, and tj does a lot better than kolb, the latter being of only average mobility and the main criticism for holding onto the ball too ball. Kolbs arm while not weak, is weakest of the 3. I wonder if kolb was still available today they make the same play for him.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think:

1. Kolb

2. TJax

3. EJ

I think Kolb will win the starting job in training camp. However, given his history of injury, they'll keep TJax as an experienced backup. Plus, it will be good to have two vets with starting experience in the NFL mentoring EJ.

EJ will move up to #2 before the end of the season.

With the drafting of EJ Manuel, I don't see anyone asking the obvious question of which veteran quarterback should actually start for the Bills this next season. While it's very much assumed that Kolb would be the starter because he was acquired, why not Tarvaris Jackson? Can we not assume that the drafting of Manuel was because of his athleticism and ability to not only make the passes, but also make plays with his feet? If you can come to that conclusion (which I think anyone with a little logic would), isn't Jackson better suited to run any offense that Marrone comes up with to maximize EJ's capabilities? Does this not also beg the question of whether the bills simply picked up Kolb in the event that their guy wasn't there and they instead had to settle for a Nassib or Barkley? What about the possibility that if Manuel weren't there that they were really looking at a later round QB? At the end of the draft, every team in the NFL wants to say it worked out exactly as they had planned. I don't think anyone would really dispute that. However, in this case, might there be a suggestion that Kolb was the backup plan all along as well?

I really like this draft from top to bottom. I can't say I have a problem with any pick or couldn't see the logic in it. However, in looking at going forward, Kolb seems to be the odd man out right out of the gates. The only way he doesn't is if you assume that Manuel is going to be groomed to be a pocket passer. I don't see that at all. I would be interested in some serious thought/input on this topic. Didn't find another thread comparable, so started this one.

I think all 3 will compete in camp... at this point Kolb is ahead of the others in experience and I think has a good chance to start the season at #1. But, I feel like he'll get hurt (not confident in our OL at all) and EJ will come in and start the rest of the way with Jackson as his back-up. I do agree that Kolb doesn't necessarily fit Marrone's offense, but he has Naasib in college and Kolb seems to be a bit like him so there is versatility there.

New system, the QBs are all equal. Not sure we don't get EJ for game one. Might as well. The O Line is as solid as it will be for the next few years, so let the kid work behind it before it falls apart in free agency, starting with the assumed departure of Eric Wood next year.

I haven't heard any coach or player say that Kolb has performed better in practice so far than Jackson. I agree that having Kolb on the roster is a similar skill set to what Nassib brings. The EJ Manuel pick does make a lot of sense since he brings a bigger arm and faster legs to the table!

Problem with TJax is accuracy. Never been a high percentage passer. He's stopgap at best (in my opinion), otherwise they wouldn't have signed him for just one year.

If they like the way Tuel or Corp play at camp, I could see one of those two holding the clipboard as the #3 this season (behind EJ3 and Kolb).

Whoever wins the competition between those two starts; not EJ. I don't want to see him thrown into the fire right away. I'd like to see Kolb as the starter, then use EJ in short yardage situations with the read option. I think that would be a good way to break him in.

New system, the QBs are all equal. Not sure we don't get EJ for game one. Might as well. The O Line is as solid as it will be for the next few years, so let the kid work behind it before it falls apart in free agency, starting with the assumed departure of Eric Wood next year.

I agree with you that if EJ is the QB of the future, go ahead and let him play right away if he is even close to ready. It's not like we are "super close" and it is a huge deal like it was in SF last year and they went with Kap anyway.

I wouldn't concur with this statement at all. A QB that's proven to be less accurate (Jackson) isn't suddenly equal to the guy that's more accurate (Kolb). Also, a guy that runs like he's in quicksand (Kolb) suddenly doesn't have the skill set of a natural scrambler (Jackson). That's my point. To emphasize that point, tell me that if you put Tom Brady and Michael Vick in a run-option offense that they start off equal. They clearly don't. Regardless, training camp and the preseason will prove itself to be interesting.

Why not Jackson?? It's because Kolb is a much better passer. If the Bills can protect him (and that will have as much to do with their offensive philosophy as it will the O-line) Kolb is capable of being a top 10 QB.

I would love for Manuel to be the starter from Day 1, but he just may not be ready for that. We will see. I don't think we want to throw him to the wolves. it won't hurt him to sit behind Kolb andj watch how a veteran NFL QB handles himself. Kolb could be aour biggest impact player this year.

i predict the QB depth chart will read: 1. Kolb, 2. Manuel, 3. Jackson with Tuel as the PS QB.

I don't know why you say our line is incompetent. the only loss we suffered was Levitre. Although a significant one, I hear that they are very high on Sanders replacing that spot and they're confident he can hold his own hence the reason why we didnt' target a Guard in the draft. With that aside our line was top ten last year in Sacks allowed. I have faith that they know what they're doing, they'll start kolb for 3-5 games to let EJ soak in the books and I think Kolb starts. We need to know what we have with him. His two teams had the worst lines in the NFL so they really don't know what he'll be able to do with protection. I am not one that agrees with starting EJ right away. Not good for QB confidence if he is thrown into the fire and bites the big one if he really wasn't ready to start right away. If he's that smart that he can have the playbook memorized by start of September then yeah go ahead but it seems like they are going to run a pretty complex playbook once they get him at the rains. Jackson is toast . I didn't like the signing when we did get him.

Fairly easy in my book, the one playing the best should get the start unless there is a tie including EJ in which case EJ should get the benefit of the doubt. Other then that the coaches really do have to do away with politics surrounding draft investment, play the best man earns trust, motivation and competition throughout all the players which leads to a better team. The same goes for the WR's if say Woods gets outplayed by the other WR's, just cut him allready, keep the best.

Edited by bladiebla