Rd 5, Pick #143: S Jonathan Meeks - Clemson

mrags

The Bills scout is saying that the other Clemson safety was very slow, and so they made Meeks play 15 yards back, which was why he didnt put up the stats other guys did. But when he was closer in he would make plays. They like him.

I'm lukewarm on him but I do know Pettine likes safeties.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, our 5th round pick was CUT before the season.

Zebrie Sanders? He went on IR, wasn't cut.

Please, please, SDS...16 pages is NOT enough! (see the post above this as well....)

Edited by Lurker

The Bills scout is saying that the other Clemson safety was very slow, and so they made Meeks play 15 yards back, which was why he didnt put up the stats other guys did. But when he was closer in he would make plays. They like him.

I'm lukewarm on him but I do know Pettine likes safeties.

Id guess being close to the Clemson staff helps that assessment.

and look at the results, I'm sick and tired of losing and this just continues the trend, until we get a GM with a clue we are screwed.

Then don't watch? No ones forcing you to come here and post about how you've never heard of guys.

Edited by NoSaint

1. Buffalo Bills@buffalobills 9m
    Jonathan Meeks: "I'm big fast, strong, and I can hit. This defense will allow me to do that" #BillsDraft

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills 10m
    Meeks on his visit with #Bills DC Mike Pettine: "I just fell in love with the defense"

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills 11m
    #Bills Meeks on his visit with #Bills: "It's a great organization to be a part of" #BillsDraft

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills 12m
    #Bills S Jonathan Meeks on @BumpNrunGilm0re: "He's one of my really good friends ... we grew up playing against each other."

Edited by Screwball

This is the only highlight clip for the guy. He was just in the right place on an overthrown ball. Nice speed, though.

so just about how Byrd was in the "right place" on almost all of his interceptions his rookie season?

Just sayin...

Also, I personally don't believe in "right place at the right time" when it comes to football. Either you have instincts or you don't. Why was he in the "right place"? It was no where near anyone on that play. So either he was psychic and knew where the ball was going to be, or he was just lucky enough to be bad and out of the play by about 10-15 yards. Either one, I'm fine with. But there is no "right place" here.

worst pick of an unbelievably great draft. probably could have gotten this guy with their last pick or as an UDFA.

many other rated players available.

I would not be so sure about that...And I'm not a huge fan of the way Meeks played in College at times...I was able to see him a lot and knew of him even when he was in HS...The thing is, Meeks has excellent size/speed, and there were some extenuating circumstances that effected his play at Clemson...And he should be a real good Special Teams contributor ..If you're looking at pure athletic numbers...He's just about the prototype Safety...And those guys don't usually last too long...I think based on that, the 5th Round is fine for him...I would have preferred the Bills Draft a pure CB here...But I understand the pick...Not crazy about it, but I get it... B-)

Id guess being close to the Clemson staff helps that assessment.

Them don't watch? No ones forcing you to come here and post about how you've never heard of guys.

Yep the scout says he and Nix have known the Clemson staff for 30 years and they couldn't say enough good things about the kid. I'm wary of that kind of stuff holding too much weight though. I always think these coaches will sugarcoat their own players for a whole host of reasons.

I would not be so sure about that...And I'm not a huge fan of the way Meeks played in College at times...I was able to see him a lot and knew of him even when he was in HS...The thing is, Meeks has excellent size/speed, and there were some extenuating circumstances that effected his play at Clemson...And he should be a real good Special Teams contributor ..If you're looking at pure athletic numbers...He's just about the prototype Safety...And those guys don't usually last too long...I think based on that, the 5th Round is fine for him...I would have preferred the Bills Draft a pure CB here...But I understand the pick...Not crazy about it, but I get it... B-)

Care to share more on the circumstances?

Yep the scout says he and Nix have known the Clemson staff for 30 years and they couldn't say enough good things about the kid. I'm wary of that kind of stuff holding too much weight though. I always think these coaches will sugarcoat their own players for a whole host of reasons.

For sure - I'm not saying its always good but... I'm not surprised for a late rounder to be a guy like that. After 30 years you hope they know them enough to know bs though.

Edited by NoSaint

so just about how Byrd was in the "right place" on almost all of his interceptions his rookie season?

Just sayin...

Also, I personally don't believe in "right place at the right time" when it comes to football. Either you have instincts or you don't. Why was he in the "right place"? It was no where near anyone on that play. So either he was psychic and knew where the ball was going to be, or he was just lucky enough to be bad and out of the play by about 10-15 yards. Either one, I'm fine with. But there is no "right place" here.

I get what you're saying - he had the instinct to be in the direction of the play, but the ball was still overthrown. My point is that it's not a tremendous highlight or anything, and that's all we get when we search for him. Not knocking the guy or anything, just making an observation.

Care to share more on the circumstances?

Well...The Bills Scout just touched on it a bit...He was asked to play as the last line of Defense due to his athleticism compared to the other Clemson safeties (the others were too slow) which took him out of showing a lot of his abilities...I don't think he's a center-field-type of Safety like Byrd at all...I don't think he's instinctive enough for that role...And that's pretty much what Clemson needed him to do because they had no one else to do it...I do think Pettine sees a role for him that is very different from what he did at Clemson... B-)

I've watched a lot of game film on this kid. His intangibles are off the charts. I had him graded as a late 4th round grade…………..

I've been watching too much draft coverage and Mike Mayock. Never heard of the guy. But since I've started following the draft this is the first Bills draft I've actually like every player drafted.

and look at the results, I'm sick and tired of losing and this just continues the trend, until we get a GM with a clue we are screwed.

You can't make any judgements on this draft or the new regime at One Bills Drive. Everything is brand new and this draft has Whaley written all over it. The Bills are also going to be running a defense unlike anything we've seen so the alignments and personnel will all be different.

Hold judgement until they've had a chance to prove themselves

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Meeks does have prototype safety numbers. And he is livid he wasn't invited to combine. My guess is Meeks would of put up eye catching combine numbers and boost his draft stock

For sure...Like I said before he's pretty much a prototype height/weight/speed guy...In Meeks case the non-invite was even more devastating because the film was not great... B-)

I get what you're saying - he had the instinct to be in the direction of the play, but the ball was still overthrown. My point is that it's not a tremendous highlight or anything, and that's all we get when we search for him. Not knocking the guy or anything, just making an observation.

well, thanks for replying to that.

I just think, like almost any other 5th or 6th round pick, you probably will be puzzled to find tape on a guy unless he's a QB, WR, RB or OL. There's always tape in these guys. Safeties and Corners are tough to get tape on. When the cameras start rolling, they are following the ball. It's usually in the QBs hands when Safeties are making plays and getting into the "right places". By the time the ball is in the air and almost to the WR, the Safety has already gobbled up ground to make his play for the ball. So you don't see his response times, hip movements, change of directions and play for the ball in general.

I'm not saying this kid will be good by any means, but based on that video, I like his size and speed. Based in his comments, I like his attitude. Based on his peers talking good things about him, I like his upside. Based on Marrone and his desire to "coach" these young players, I like his potential. And based in the possibility that we may run with 3 safeties, I like the move in general. He looks like he's a clone of Landry when I watch him on that clip btw. Body size/style.

At first I was like WTF??? But then quickly got over it after a few pointed out some very simple points. Like how we only had 2 Safeties in the roster before this draft. And personally, I like the other kid from Nevada and think he might be in the running for CB as well.

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both had him rated as a "free agent" grade......

Explain to me what separates a 5 vs a Fa in their rankings?

At this point it's finding fit to scheme and upside.

He could've been a mid rounder for many and not on other boards at all