Rd 5, Pick #143: S Jonathan Meeks - Clemson

mrags

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Detroit Lions website: http://www.detroitli...b4-5c9e49b4adb0

“I definitely feel disrespected and that’s going to show when I get somewhere,” Meeks told Detroitlions.com. “Wherever I end up, they’re going to get as steal, whoever gets me."

Meeks, who was not invited to the combine, measured 6-foot and 215 pounds at his Pro Day and ran the 40 in 4.5.

He’s considered a raw strong safety prospect, who’ll need some time to develop with the right scheme, but he’s certainly motivated to prove the draft analysts wrong.

9485ebb0af6a11e29b1a22000a1fb711_7.jpg

Edited by Screwball

I know of Meeks...He's from Rock Hill SC...Home of Jeff Burris and Stephon Gilmore...I lived 20 mins away in Charlotte for 20 years...

Unfortunately, knowing of him makes this pick an even bigger mystery to me...He may factor well in ST's coverage...He's a very good athlete with good size...May be a player that Pettine feels can develop well with good coaching...He's going to need a lot of work though...Just not an instinctive College Safety at all...But tons of raw tools to work with... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Buffalo News Blog: http://blogs.buffalo...s-not-invi.html

Position: Safety

School: Clemson

Measurables: 6-foot-1, 209 pounds

Combine numbers: Was not invited

2012 stats: 62 tackles, two interceptions, five pass breakups

Draft projection: Undrafted free agent

… Ran a reported 4.55-second 40-yard dash at Clemson’s pro day in March, and put up 23 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He also had a broad jump of 9 feet, 7 inches, a vertical of 33.5 inches and a 20-yard shuttle time of 4.72 seconds. … Considered a raw prospect who has a tendency to make too many mental errors.

Edited by Screwball

He was a pre-draft visitor of the Bills. Big and strong (23 reps at 225), 4.55 (est), 33" vert. Apparently pretty smart as he graduated in December, which is saying something when playing major college football. Likely seen as a possible special teams contributor.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Byrd. It's a 5th round player. It's depth and a special teams player. The Bills cut their 5th round pick last year...

Right - if Byrd leaves its nice to have guys but we aren't picking guys to replace Byrd by any means.

The Bills have no depth at all at safety.

All they had was Byrd and Searcy, and Searcy is not that good. Literally 2 bodies. I guess maybe Williams is going to be an experimental CB>S project but the cupboards were totally bare.

Pick makes sense.

He was a pre-draft visitor of the Bills. Big and strong (23 reps at 225), 4.55 (est), 33" vert. Apparently pretty smart as he graduated in December, which is saying something when playing major college football. Likely seen as a possible special teams contributor.

And ill mention again Sweeney (his coach) was on the sidelines in buff in December. Might be a personal connection type of pick like I mentioned in the 5th round guesses thread.

were any of our other draft picks pre-draft visitors? i could look but i don't wanna...

Curious they thought this was the place to pick Meeks. His bio reads like an UDFA....

i guess at this point they are going by talent and where they think they can make someone better than the rest of the country thinks of them.

Why is Nix so terrified about losing draft picks? He wastes everything we get after the 3rd-4th round.

This guy was slated to go as an UDFA.

Last year, our 5th round pick was CUT before the season.

I am very surprised with them picking 2 safeties. I know that Pettine likes to play extra safeties sometimes, but I thought with Byrd, Searcy and Williams at Safety, they might be OK with just one additional pick there.

I am thinking that they aren't very high one at least one of Searcy or Williams if they are adding two safeties in the draft - neither of whom were particularly highly regarded by "the experts". But, 5th round on is where you get a number of these off-the-radar guys. Teams are looking for guys who might be able to contribute in some way, particularly on special teams. All of these guys are more suspect than prospect, but have one or more redeeming qualities (at least in the eyes of the team that drafts them).

We will have 5-6 DBS on the field over 50% of the time. Safeties give some coverage without the huge drop in run support. Not surprised at all to see a couple added. They can blitz, cover or play the run.... Notice a theme in our three picks in that regard? Disguising plans is all about that.

Safeties and lbs are nice in special teams too.