Rd 5, Pick #143: S Jonathan Meeks - Clemson

mrags

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol at some people in this thread

EVERYONE taken in the 5th round is a PROJECT (unless you are drafting a kicker)

the 5th round is not where you find guys to come in and start right away

btw they really needed another body at safety so why don't the haters list off all SS prospects that were available and so clearly better than meeks

It's a 5th rounder - why would you ever be mad about it? They got a guy that they think fits their scheme that they know pretty well... That's all your looking for.

That logic also applies to drafting a punter here. I'm starting to hope they take another safety in the 6th, just to see how people will defend it. Maybe safeties from here on out in fact, because hey, they fit the scheme.

lol at some people in this thread

EVERYONE taken in the 5th round is a PROJECT (unless you are drafting a kicker)

the 5th round is not where you find guys to come in and start right away

btw they really needed another body at safety so why don't the haters list off all SS prospects that were available and so clearly better than meeks

ding! Ding! Ding!

mostly because Kiper makes a fortune doing what he does....

Mel Kiper Jr. is a football analyst from the US who works on the ESPN network. His current net worth is estimated to be $7 Million.

According to his own statements, Ernie Accorsi, who was once the General Manger of Baltimore Colts, used to encourage him to make these analyses of the drafts. He was also inspired by Ernie to take it up as a business.

That logic also applies to drafting a punter here. I'm starting to hope they take another safety in the 6th, just to see how people will defend it. Maybe safeties from here on out in fact, because hey, they fit the scheme.

That's right. The position was totally locked up with

A guy that hasn't signed his tag

A guy that was a midround pick and has never been a starter

A guy that flopped at corner

Taking two high upside guys is rather ridiculous. Especially given we will often have 3 on the field.

Right - if Byrd leaves its nice to have guys but we aren't picking guys to replace Byrd by any means.

The guys on the network said talks with Byrd have gotten nowhere and these two safety picks should add stability to the position....FWIW.

jb

The guys on the network said talks with Byrd have gotten nowhere and these two safety picks should add stability to the position....FWIW.

jb

I think that's similar to my take. We didnt say lets get these guys and ship Byrd out now. The Byrd situation is going to play out how it will. And it likely would regardless of these picks... If he's gone, its nice to have them but its not like we just said "oh we got Williams, byrds expendable now"

I think that's similar to my take. We didnt say lets get these guys and ship Byrd out now. The Byrd situation is going to play out how it will. And it likely would regardless of these picks... If he's gone, its nice to have them but its not like we just said "oh we got Williams, byrds expendable now"

your so right there Saint. Gotta throw in the possibility that the Bills might not have any idea how Byrds contract talks will play out and the fact they only had 2 Safeties as it was. This just gives them a tiny bit of breathing room if Byrd refuses to sign. Not that you'd be comfortable with these 2 guys starting or anything, but man, could you imagine if you had Searcy and A. Williams starting at the Safety spots and then one of them went down? Who else you gonna move?

I agree with your take. I think maybe its kind of like an insurance policy...if ya will. I do hope somehow we are able to lock up Byrd. The kid is a good player.

Edited by jaybee

That's right. The position was totally locked up with

A guy that hasn't signed his tag

A guy that was a midround pick and has never been a starter

A guy that flopped at corner

Taking two high upside guys is rather ridiculous. Especially given we will often have 3 on the field.

This +1

your so right there Saint. Gotta throw in the possibility that the Bills might not have any idea how Byrds contract talks will play out and the fact they only had 2 Safeties as it was. This just gives them a tiny bit of breathing room if Byrd refuses to sign. Not that you'd be comfortable with these 2 guys starting or anything, but man, could you imagine if you had Searcy and A. Williams starting at the Safety spots and then one of them went down? Who else you gonna move?

Jack of all trades Brad Smith, of course.

I believe they are targeting players they think can change the culture here, especially on D with physical, nasty,hard hitting defenders...possibly placing higher value on players they believe can help bring a change of attitude than other players that might be better players...

This pick is so terrible they didn't even talk about it on NFLN, which is probably better.

They did not talk about it because the teleprompter was wrong at least twice which uses same mechanism as NFL website.

if you are watching the draft you can see the errors and their corresponding screwups.

There's a good reason Kiper and McShay don't have jobs for actual teams

Just one?

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding Byrd. Byrd is franchise tagged for $6.7M. He will be playing for us this year. He has until July 15th to sign his tag. Most likely we will negotiate with him in June after FA and rookie signings. There is a high probability he will holdout, which is the correct move - why would he risk a freak injury in OTAs? Whatever happens, he has to eventually sign and suit up for us for the 2013 season, or he forfeits his entire paycheck and gets nothing. So let me repeat, he will be suited up for us this year, long-term contract or not.

Yes I know Pettine has formations that use 3 safeties. Yes I know that we needed one in this draft. No, drafting an UDFA as a 2nd project safety in the 5th round is not a good pick. Please resume cheerleading.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding Byrd. Byrd is franchise tagged for $6.7M. He will be playing for us this year. He has until July 15th to sign his tag. Most likely we will negotiate with him in June after FA and rookie signings. There is a high probability he will holdout, which is the correct move - why would he risk a freak injury in OTAs? Whatever happens, he has to eventually sign and suit up for us for the 2013 season, or he forfeits his entire paycheck and gets nothing. So let me repeat, he will be suited up for us this year, long-term contract or not.

Yes I know Pettine has formations that use 3 safeties. Yes I know that we needed one in this draft. No, drafting an UDFA as a 2nd project safety in the 5th round is not a good pick. Please resume cheerleading.

I will as long as you continue whining.

Patriots do this a few times almost every draft, and usually before the 5th round...a player with a unique skill set that fits your plan is better than a better player that doesn't or plays a different role...

So, in other words, you know the skill level and pro potential of a 5th round safety Meeks in Mike Pettine's defense more than Mike Pettine?

and look at the results, I'm sick and tired of losing and this just continues the trend, until we get a GM with a clue we are screwed.

Sorry man but your player evaluations leave a lot to be desired so forgive me or anyone else that disagrees with you. Your love for Tannehill and John Skeleton are legendary around here and both of them are trash.

Let's not forget the Bills DC is one of the architects of a defense that consistently gives Pats the fits. And that defense is not based on getting to the QB but by beating the crap out of the receivers.

Before you all freak out please realize that Pettine likes to use THREE safeties on the field quite a bit. He's now got Byrd/A. Williams/Searcy/D. Williams/Meeks/even B. Scott to play with.

We had 3 safeties that they should feel pretty good about.. yes we needed another, but they took him in 4th. Taking a 5th Safety doesn't seem smart because its very unlikely 5 make the team anyway. And are you cutting one of the other guys? Doubt it. They currently have Brooks as the #3 CB, one injury away from starting... he didn't even start in college. That is frighteningly thin depth, whereas they are overloaded with bodies at safety. I think they should have balanced it better, as even a lower rated CB would have a better chance of making the team and contributing.