Mike Mayock Mock

Kirby Jackson

Mayock is someone that I usually like. He has Austin to the Bills. I think that all of this QB at 8 may be a smokescreen so that no one jumps in front of them for Austin. If they stay at 8 I think that he may be the pick.

in his mock, Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack & Dion Jordan are all still on the board. all of them are better than Austin.

Just a an awful mock by Mayock

I honestly don't think he got a single one right in the top ten

Okay. So here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/171006

In an interview with Darius Slay, he said Patterson was the hardest guy to cover in the sec.

Well, Austin played in the Big East.

Do you actually think he has more in common with Green and Jones, or Ginn and Parrish?

Steve Smith? DeSean Jackson?

Good reference.

Re Austin: http://www.pro-footb.../R/RoyaEd00.htm . Note the trajectory.

Royal was drafted 42nd overall. He's not in the same class as Austin.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think of him as way too small to last very long.

Have to get him the ball relatively close to the line as he'll get lost down field at his size.

He MIGHT be great, but I'd rather have a "normal sized" prospect than swinging for the fences with a VERY undersized guy.

Austin would not be a favorite pick for me. I think it is too risky given his lack of size.

Is Darren Sproles to short sir???

I got 'em beat.

1. KC- OL Joeckel

2. Jax- DL Jordan

3. Ariz- trade w/Oak- OL- Fisher

4. Phi- OL L. Johnson

5. Det- DL Ansah

6. Clev- CB Milliner

7. Oak- trade w/Ariz- DT Floyd

8. Car- trade w/Buf- WR Austin

9. NYJ- DT Lotuleli

10. Ten- OL Warmack

11. SD- OL Fluker

12. Mia- TE Eifert

13. NYJ- LB Mingo

14. Buf- trade w/Car- QB Nassib

15. N.O.- S Vaccaro

16. StL- WR Patterson

17. Pitt- LB J. Jones

18. Dal- OL Cooper

19. NYG- DT Richardson

20. Chi- LB Ogletree

21. Cin- DT S. Williams

22. StL- S Cyprien

23. Min- WR Hopkins

24. Ind- DL D. Jones

25. Min- LB Te'o

26. GB- S Reid

27. Hou- WR Hunter

28. Den- DL Werner

29. NE- CB Hayden

30. Atl- DL Carradine

31. SF- DT J. Williams

32. Balt- WR Woods

Okay. So here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/171006

Well, Austin played in the Big East.

Steve Smith? DeSean Jackson?

Royal was drafted 42nd overall. He's not in the same class as Austin.

So was desean jackson(49th overall), who happens to be six feet tall. He also has a similar trajectory to royal: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackDe00.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

Sorry.. we need a bigger receivers.. not smaller..

Totally agree! My dream (and realistic) scenario would be a trade down and pick up an extra 2nd so we could be comfortable in taking our biggest needs in the first 3 rounds in QB, WR, LB and TE...1. EJ Manuel (Most upside of the QBs) 2a. Justin Hunter (also would be happy with Keenan Allen or Robert Woods) 2b. Kevin Minter (or Arthur Brown) 3. Vance Mcdonald (or highest rated TE on Bills board)

Size has not effected Welker all that much. Austin played RB to in certain packages and had over 70 carries last season. He could be a match up headache. He can stretch the field on the out side freeing up the underneath for RBs and TEs. Could be a very good pick because he is a game changer.

So was desean jackson(49th overall), who happens to be six feet tall. He also has a similar trajectory to royal: http://www.pro-footb.../J/JackDe00.htm

My point was why are you comparing Austin to Royal?

It's a bit of a bizarre comparison.

Minor quibble but this last year West Virginia moved to the big 12.

You're right.

Anyways, Frogger quotes a guy (Slay) who didn't even play against Austin this year.

The reason the Bills have missed the playoffs the last 13 years is lack of an undersized, slot receiver. Are people serious with this? I think Austin is a very good football player but I will absolutely lose it if he is the pick. I know you aren't really allowed to hit in the NFL anymore, but the guy will break. Harvin is a bigger guy and he struggles to stay healthy.

Receivers are the last piece to add to a team. Larry Fitzgerald is an animal and he was wasted because of the team around him. The 3 best slot receivers are Welker, Cruz, and Amedola. None were drafted. If a receiver isn't an freak (Calvin Johnson), it is a waste of a top 10 pick. He's a better player but this would reek of Roscoe Part 2. TD would approve.

Just saw Austin clips on NFLN. He is TINY. Handed the ball to the ref, who was at least 8 inches taller..

Who needs a QB, LB, TE, or Guard when you can get a tiny slot receiver in the top 10?

I love great guard play as much as the next guy but to pick Warmack ahead of a guy who is a legit threat to make big plays with every touch makes no sense to me.

Warmack would actually make a contribution on each play, Austin will only matter on his catches and maybe manages to turn his speed into an extra TD once a season. Probably spends half his time injured anyways.

Just saw Austin clips on NFLN. He is TINY. Handed the ball to the ref, who was at least 8 inches taller..

Yeah he is tiny.

That's definitely a concern.

Anyways Mayock's draft is a bit odd.

He has the three OTs and Sharrif as his first four, and then he goes Ansah to Detroit, Geno Smith to the Browns, Jonathan Cooper to the Cards, and then Austin to us.

That leaves Dion Jordan and Dee Milliner still on the board for the Jets.

I like Austin as a player but i'm not thrilled about the idea of taking him 8th overall. This seems like a deep draft for WRs and we'd be able to find one in the 2nd round if we see it as that big of a need.

I agree.

He was my flavor of the day (more out of boredom) but now that I've settled down a bit I'm in full backtrack mode.

:D

:lol: on the NFL website is states "one mock to rule them all"

"The more I thought of Austin and the hole the Bills have at receiver -- with nobody but Stevie Johnson -- the more I said, 'They've got to generate some touches for an explosive playmaker,' and that's who Austin is. Forget 173 pounds. It doesn't matter."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/171006?pickId=2539336

I know Mayock stated recently "he" thinks the team should go O line. From my perspective Kevin Kolb is another Losman / Edwards waiting to happen, so many sacks. A QB can't get the ball down field if he is on his back or running for his life.

True, the BIlls do need a WR or two, a TE,and a QB. Build a better line first darn it.

I agree.

He was my flavor of the day (more out of boredom) but now that I've settled down a bit I'm in full backtrack mode.

:D

Just don't think you need him at 8th overall. Especially with this roster. WR is a huge need, but it's supposedly a deep draft at that position. I wouldn't like the pick but how badly i'd dislike it obviously depends on how the top 7 shakes out and who's on the board for us.

:lol: on the NFL website is states "one mock to rule them all"

"The more I thought of Austin and the hole the Bills have at receiver -- with nobody but Stevie Johnson -- the more I said, 'They've got to generate some touches for an explosive playmaker,' and that's who Austin is. Forget 173 pounds. It doesn't matter."

http://www.nfl.com/d...?pickId=2539336

I know Mayock stated recently "he" thinks the team should go O line. From my perspective Kevin Kolb is another Losman / Edwards waiting to happen, so many sacks. A QB can't get the ball down field if he is on his back or running for his life.

True, the BIlls do need a WR or two, a TE,and a QB. Build a better line first darn it.

If one of the remaining top OT's is available to us i wouldn't have a problem with that pick. But you don't draft guards in the top 10. The pro bowl guard we just had and let walk away was a second round pick, you can find interior linemen. If the tackles are off the board i'd be okay with whichever QB they like(I'm a Barkley guy) or their highest rated defensive player.

The reason the Bills have missed the playoffs the last 13 years is lack of an undersized, slot receiver. Are people serious with this? I think Austin is a very good football player but I will absolutely lose it if he is the pick. I know you aren't really allowed to hit in the NFL anymore, but the guy will break. Harvin is a bigger guy and he struggles to stay healthy.

Receivers are the last piece to add to a team. Larry Fitzgerald is an animal and he was wasted because of the team around him. The 3 best slot receivers are Welker, Cruz, and Amedola. None were drafted. If a receiver isn't an freak (Calvin Johnson), it is a waste of a top 10 pick. He's a better player but this would reek of Roscoe Part 2. TD would approve.

Who needs a QB, LB, TE, or Guard when you can get a tiny slot receiver in the top 10?

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Austin...Like the player, hate the fit at this point in time for the Bills...Just hate it...

And I don't care how good he was in College...And I admit he was very, very good...Projecting a 5-7-172 slot WR to be worthy of a Top 10 pick is one hell of a risky projection...The players in the NFL that are Austin's size that produce at a top 10 level can be counted on one hand and you'll have a couple of fingers left over...It's beyond a risky projection...And for a team with as many needs as the Bills have, it's just a dumb luxury-pick at this point IMHO...

But this (Drafting Austin at #8) would be right up Buddy's alley...I would not be surprised at all if Austin is the pick...Pissed?...Yes...Surprised?...Nope... B-)

Austin is not fragile. He split time at RB. Had 72 carries, The kid can play. Not saying they should take him at 8 but there are not many eye popping difference makers at the offensive skill positions in this years draft.

I'd say he has more in common with Spiller, as in being a serious threat to score every time he touches the ball.

I he were blue he'd have more in common Farmer smurf. He'll last 23 weeks in the NFL. Those 23 weeks will be spread over 5 years. NO WAY.

Austin is not fragile. He split time at RB. Had 72 carries, The kid can play. Not saying they should take him at 8 but there are not many eye popping difference makers at the offensive skill positions in this years draft.

I don't think it's as much about being fragile (though his frame is certainly not an asset in that area either)...Rather it's how his game is going to translate to the NFL...We as Bills fans saw first hand with CJ how different the NFL can be for a player that simply ran rough-shot over College Football Defenses...In the NFL Defenders are bigger, faster, quicker, more instinctive, better coached, and far more disciplined...It's one thing making a projection when a 6-3-220 kid tears up College Football...But Austin will be up against it big-time due to his size...He's going to get hit more, and he's going to get hit harder...Those massive holes he's used to are going to close quicker...It's going to be monumentally tougher for him to be a true game breaker like everyone is assuming he will be...

I'm not saying Austin can't do it in the NFL...What I am saying is the risk is REAL high with him...REAL high...And the Bills are a 6 win team without a QB, and with needs all over the Roster...They're in no position to take a risk like Drafting a 5-7-172 slot WR at #8 overall...If they want to gamble, why not gamble on a player like the TE Tyler Eifert? The way TE's are becoming incredible weapons in the NFL, why not grab a kid that has size, can go up and get it, is a legit match-up problem down the seams, and especially in the Red Zone?...I just don't understand the Austin thing to the Bills at this time...I don't get it... B-)

For sure Austin would be a matchup nightmare. To his credit he did make Geno Smith look good.

Ill say this... better we have Austin than the Patroits getting him. Tom Brady would light us up if he had Austin.

I would not be mad if we did it. He is a playmaker. Stevie needs some legit help. We do need a WR. And you can't teach speed, just saying.

I'd say he has more in common with Spiller, as in being a serious threat to score every time he touches the ball.

True. -But lining him up as a WR right off the bat?

I don't think it's such a great Idea. Why not bring him along like Hester. Put him on KR so we can see what kind of a weapon he is. After that's determined, we can work him into the offense based on his skill set.

Sorry.. we need a bigger receivers.. not smaller..

Buddy has been very specific on this. He has clearly stated several times that the draft is deep at WR(meaning good ones can be obtained in the 2nd & 3rd).......and that he would like a big tall WR.

Both of those statements have me pretty confident that we will not be drafting Austin at 8. My guess would be that he is hoping to get Allen/Hopkins/Hunter in the 2nd.

I like Austin as a player but i'm not thrilled about the idea of taking him 8th overall. This seems like a deep draft for WRs and we'd be able to find one in the 2nd round if we see it as that big of a need.

Buddy has been very specific on this. He has clearly stated several times that the draft is deep at WR(meaning good ones can be obtained in the 2nd & 3rd).......and that he would like a big tall WR.

Both of those statements have me pretty confident that we will not be drafting Austin at 8. My guess would be that he is hoping to get Allen/Hopkins/Hunter in the 2nd.

If this is that route the Bills were going to go, some sort of receiver with the first pick. I'd rather they go TE, Tyler Eifert. Big guy, good blocker, great receiver. One of the almost "sure" things in the draft. Then if they decide to draft a QB with the 2nd or by trading up, nothing helps a rookie QB like a pass catching TE. Chandler probably won't be healthy by the beginning of the season. Makes more sense to me.

Then, go WR later in the draft.

I get that he can score from anywhere on the field and I see his speed.

However, his reporting says that he can't line up on the outside due to his height and most of his highlights include handoffs. Another opportunity for him is drops.

Dynamic player? Sure. But not what we need.

I think there is plenty of round 2-3 wr talent between the guys from usc, Baylor, and tenn

I must've missed the memo. I didn't think we expected to be at all competitive this coming season.

I'm not saying we should pick a WR, but you must understand, a WR picked in the first will have a much greater chance of being a star than one picked in the later rounds, who in all likelihood will take longer to develop and won't be as skillful.

Not competitive this season? What does that mean? Get blown out and lose every game? Of course they will be competitive. There is talent on this team and we are hoping better coaching means better results but this team will compete.

I don't think it's as much about being fragile (though his frame is certainly not an asset in that area either)...Rather it's how his game is going to translate to the NFL...We as Bills fans saw first hand with CJ how different the NFL can be for a player that simply ran rough-shot over College Football Defenses...In the NFL Defenders are bigger, faster, quicker, more instinctive, better coached, and far more disciplined...It's one thing making a projection when a 6-3-220 kid tears up College Football...But Austin will be up against it big-time due to his size...He's going to get hit more, and he's going to get hit harder...Those massive holes he's used to are going to close quicker...It's going to be monumentally tougher for him to be a true game breaker like everyone is assuming he will be...

I'm not saying Austin can't do it in the NFL...What I am saying is the risk is REAL high with him...REAL high...And the Bills are a 6 win team without a QB, and with needs all over the Roster...They're in no position to take a risk like Drafting a 5-7-172 slot WR at #8 overall...If they want to gamble, why not gamble on a player like the TE Tyler Eifert? The way TE's are becoming incredible weapons in the NFL, why not grab a kid that has size, can go up and get it, is a legit match-up problem down the seams, and especially in the Red Zone?...I just don't understand the Austin thing to the Bills at this time...I don't get it... B-)

What about the new roles about hitting. You are not going to have as many big hits as in the past. They are trying to protect the players more. These bigger ,faster players have to be more cautious when they hit players over the middle.

If the 49ers with 13 picks and coming off a SB pick this guy, it's a good pick. If the Bills with all their needs take him, it's a perfect example of why we miss the playoffs the last 13 years. Ask yourself: do the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Pats, etc. spend a top 10 pick on a 5'7" slot receiver?

He's the sexy pick. We need the safe pick. The sexy girl cheats on you with all your friends but your forgive her because she's hot. The good (safe) girl is a great wife and mother. Maybe once you get married and raise a great family, then you get the sexy girl. :devil: Get DeAndre Hopkins or Robert Woods in the 2nd. Besides, there will be Austin Jr. in Dri Archer of Kent in next year's draft.

Someone please sell me on Austin.

How can a WR who is 5'8 and 170lbs be so good?

How is he different than Roscoe Parrish?

CBF

Well I'm not the biggest fan of Austin but I can try - consider this:

Played in all 13 team games all 4 years

Showed improvement in catches, ypg, and tds.

He is a pr, kr, rb, and wr all rolled up into one

He ran a 4.28 40

He accounted for a whopping 17 tds this year.

Concerns are:

ypc were surpisingly low (11 ypc on average) however that may have to do with a lot of screens, dumpoffs, get the ball in his hand and let him do something plays.

Size

Honestly that is it. He isn't a dropper, fumbler or troublemaker. If he was 6'2" he would be a top 5 lock. Therein lies the rub though, he isn't, and more than likely won't grow any taller.

Austin is the best pick besides Warmack.

Austin starts immediately and is a huge playmaker like Spiller. Dont think of him as a WR think of him as a chance to score every touch he gets whether at RB WR Slot or ST player. Not my favorite but maybe the best value all around. He is going to score if you give him the ball. period

I am starting to think Austin/Warmack is going to be the pick barring a trade down. Austin is the most dynamic player in this draft & I just recall a few years ago when noone saw the Spiller pick coming & this kind of the same scenerio. I would be fine with this. Good luck trying to find the right matchups with Austin/Spiller/Johnson on defense. I think Landty Jones is the pick in the 2nd round.

I agree. That is why I don't see him going at 8 but who ever gets him will have a guy, despite his size, is a difference maker. Watch the tape on him. He does not get hit full on because he is that quick. I bet NE Pats draft him and he will haunt us for years to came. That is the Bills curse.

Give me Austin, top ranked QB at 41 and a TE in the 3rd (maybe Kelce). Now you are building something.

P.s. sign Dansby and a safety in the 4th, guard or corner in 5th and Dustin Hopkins in the 6th

So you are going to be pretty upset when the Bills address their CB need in first 2 or 3 picks.

Steve Smith says hello. And DeSean Jackson is well on his way to having a great career.

Smith is built much thicker... DJ is a couple inches taller, a little heavier... they're small, but not AS small.

Best chance to move down is for someone that wants Austin, so that may be why they are talking him up. Not that he can't help, but i think they want someone bigger... they've said so.

If the 49ers with 13 picks and coming off a SB pick this guy, it's a good pick. If the Bills with all their needs take him, it's a perfect example of why we miss the playoffs the last 13 years. Ask yourself: do the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Pats, etc. spend a top 10 pick on a 5'7" slot receiver?

He's the sexy pick. We need the safe pick. The sexy girl cheats on you with all your friends but your forgive her because she's hot. The good (safe) girl is a great wife and mother. Maybe once you get married and raise a great family, then you get the sexy girl. :devil: Get DeAndre Hopkins or Robert Woods in the 2nd. Besides, there will be Austin Jr. in Dri Archer of Kent in next year's draft.

I think you pretty much boiled down the decision process here. Do you go with the 'safe' pick, pick a guy that might be 'boom' or 'bust', or simply swing for the fences. Its a matter of managing risk relative to your situation and needs. If a team like the 49ers picks Austin and he's a bust then the negative impact to them is pretty close to zero because they have a pretty solid lineup top to bottom. But if a team like the Bills picks him and he's a bust then the impact is great because making that pick resulted in not addressing another need or improving in another area.

So if you're the GM you've got to be able to accurately assess the risk and reward of the pick and the chances of success or failure. IMO, and nothing against Austin and his skillset, but if you're the Bills you pass here and go the safer route. We'll see tonight..

What about the new roles about hitting. You are not going to have as many big hits as in the past. They are trying to protect the players more. These bigger ,faster players have to be more cautious when they hit players over the middle.

This is what I think. The new rules make it significantly easier for a player his size to not get pummeled and injury prone. I'm not, however, a huge fan of this pick at 8.

BUT, I think I would be pretty excited if I woke up either tomorrow or Saturday and was posting and reading here about Austin AND a top QB (that I liked)

Meh a rookie WR isnt going to produce his first season, may as well grab one in a later round and groom him to be ready next year.

I guess Julio Jones was a blip in the radar then. or AJ Green did nothing his rookie year. Ha. Austin is Electric. Wow, Austin, Spiller together would be amazing. Austin is like a faster Wes Welker. Nah we don't need em (sarcasm)

So you are going to be pretty upset when the Bills address their CB need in first 2 or 3 picks.

Smith is built much thicker... DJ is a couple inches taller, a little heavier... they're small, but not AS small.

Best chance to move down is for someone that wants Austin, so that may be why they are talking him up. Not that he can't help, but i think they want someone bigger... they've said so.

I'd be okay with CB as long as there is value. This team has needs and if they are plugged with good value I am okay with it.

I dont think that the Bills are going to draft a guard at 8. There would be nowhere near the buzz that there is now about their pick. Arizona has a bunch of needs and are right in front of the Bills and there are not rumors swirling around them. People just assume that they are going to sit at 7 and pick guard.