Buddy Nix and "two or three quarterbacks in this draft"

If they don't a QB in the top 15 picks then this franchise is even dumber than I think it is. I'm assuming they will, but who knows. A lot of the mocks now have us taking a freaking guard. I certainly hope that those people have no idea what they're talking about.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea. Look at the draft visits. 3 receivers from Tennesee and another former Volunteer. All of them know the ins and outs of Tyler Bray. I think they liked the tape but were worried about his personality. I'm not a huge fan of Bray but I think he is higher on the Bills list than most. Past history indicates that predraft visits play a huge role in who is drafted.

I really think you are onto something. They are doing a lot of work on Bray. In Buddy's luncheon press conference today, he said that all the top QBs are smart enough to tell you what you want to hear, but you have to sometimes dig and dig to get at their true intangibles. The "digging" he referred to may well be having all the Tennessee WRs in for visits.

I noticed that Jon Gruden has declared Nassib the best QB in the draft. I haven't tracked Gruden's rankingss over the years so can make no comment. How about you guys?

When did Gruden say this?

QB is the #1 priority...Period...My comment was in direct response to your belief that QB is no longer the Bills top priority because they signed Kolb...And I disagree...The comment was about priority, not where we would Draft one because #1 priority or not you have a Draft board to follow...You can't just say...QB is the top priority so come hell or high water we're going to take a QB at #8, even if the top QB available at #8 is rated #38 on our board...So maybe they trade down a bit...Maybe they are forced to wait till the 2nd round...They're not going to reach too far based on their board just because it's by far the teams #1 need and largest priority...I'm sure there is a limit...And that's exactly why they signed Kolb...Insurance...

I'll rephrase my comment so as not to contradict myself...If the Bills feel a QB is worthy of the #8 pick they will take that QB because it is their greatest need...And they will make it their priority to get a QB they really like somewhere in the first two rounds...But things have to play out...And there are too many variables right now to say with certainty that a QB will be Drafted at #8...Regardless of priority... B-)

We are kinda saying the same thing. My comments were born out of the fact that before they signed Kolb all they had was Tavaris Jackson on the roster. One singular QB that several teams have given up on and traded away. So now that they have Kolb ( who fits the system) I simply don't see any reason for the desperation they had previously with just Jackson at QB. Now they can see how the draft unfolds without having to reach for an uncertain player at #8.

Although, In my view QB would be the highest priority if they had draft access to an elite QB like Andrew Luck or RG3, they don't. Buddy might be spewing stuff about several Franchise QB's in this draft, but its all hooey in my eyes as there is no immediate starting top shelf QB in this years draft. Besides, I wouldn't trust Buddy to find one of those three he thinks are franchise players if his life depended on it. So another position other then QB will take top priority and be drafted at #8. JMO.

To the others posters listening to what Jon Gruden has to say, they should stop. He is a media hound now and if he were worth a darn as a HC, he would still be one. This is the man who would try and force young QB's to learn an unending amount of offensive plays in case he decided he wanted to use one obscure play to fool the defense. All he managed to do was fool and confuse his young QB's. Kinda why he is an TV announcer now.

To the others posters listening to what Jon Gruden has to say, they should stop.

+1

In addition to how unwatchable he is, I'm not impressed with the actual analysis/reasoning. It seems like this QB camp thing gets more popular every year though (I can understand this part, especially if your team is in the hunt for a QB), so I only see his exposure increasing.

Edited by NickelCity

Cordy Glenn is a guard

PTR

Saying there are franchise QBs in this draft does not help them fall to us in the 2nd which is exactly what saying Cordy was a guard did for us.

Although there's no way of knowing whether Nix's comments about Cordy actually pushed him out of the 1st round.

But still, the point is the same.

Edited by Bangarang

it's Tyler Wilson. He's the target. Nobody is talking to him, about him or even thinking about him, but he's the guy Buddy is targeting. Nix didn't think he had the arm, then TW changed his mind during sr bowl week. They've met with him several times, went to bis proday, brought him in for a visit. He has the toughness and character combined with the measurables that Buddy wants. Where we take him will be the surprise.

it's Tyler Wilson. He's the target. Nobody is talking to him, about him or even thinking about him, but he's the guy Buddy is targeting. Nix didn't think he had the arm, then TW changed his mind during sr bowl week. They've met with him several times, went to bis proday, brought him in for a visit. He has the toughness and character combined with the measurables that Buddy wants. Where we take him will be the surprise.

I'm sure that Tyler Wilson is on the Bills' radar. But I don't see them taking him at the 8 spot. He would be a good fall back pick in the second round. I get the sense that if Nix's favored qb prospect is there when he picks in the first round then he is not going to risk losing him by waiting for the next round. For those agruing that they should trade up to get back into the first round that doesn't make sense for a GM such as Nix who covets his picks, even lower round picks.

My guess is that Barkley is their man. He should be there when we make our pick. Nix has been burned by waiting to draft a qb. I don't think he wants to take the risk of losing a qb he really wants. My preference is that if Nix and his staff have a conviction on a qb then go ahead and take him with their pick and then move on to addressing other needs.

I'm sure that Tyler Wilson is on the Bills' radar. But I don't see them taking him at the 8 spot. He would be a good fall back pick in the second round.

he is not in any of the gurus top 5's though so when we do take him @41 the mayocks and Kipers will call it a reach, but as buddy said “Nobody is a reach after they start winning games“

Edited by CarolinaBill

This "reach" crap is a monster borne entirely out of the rise of pre-draft magazines and outlets like ESPN. Does anyone ever remember picks being labeled "reaches" back in the 80s? It's complete b.s. and the wisest organizations don't give a damn about what Mel Kiper or Todd McShay say about their picks. Unfortunately, all of the media pick up on the nonsense and the GMs are forced to repeatedly answer questions about it -- which no doubt gets old.

I don't think Buddy is afraid of being wrong...which is why I see a QB coming off the board at #8.

I really think you are onto something. They are doing a lot of work on Bray. In Buddy's luncheon press conference today, he said that all the top QBs are smart enough to tell you what you want to hear, but you have to sometimes dig and dig to get at their true intangibles. The "digging" he referred to may well be having all the Tennessee WRs in for visits.

#8 - Milliner

#41- Bray

"If you don't already have a franchise QB, you don't pass one up."

-Jacksonville in 2011

-NY Jets in 2009

-Cincinnati in 1999

Question is.... is there a franchis QB in this draft?

Question is.... is there a franchis QB in this draft?

Depends. Is there someone who may develop into or even happen upon the scene (ala Kaepernick or Wilson)? Perhaps. Is there a, "You'd be foolish to pass 'em up in the first round" type like Griffin and Luck last year? I don't believe there is.

Nix and company have put so much work on this QB class.

Everything being said tells me it will be a QB at 8.

I think Barkley is their guy

Don't be too sure, EJ Manuel said "I feel really good about the Eagles & The Buffalo Bills" on the Dan Patrick Show.

Edited by 1billsfan

Hmm,... Nix shouldn't have said that... it basically locks him into drafting a QB w/ the 8th pick. If there are 2-3 Franchise guys, he better pick one of them before someone else does. This is the kind of comment that will be on his Buffalo epitaph if he doesn't get one...

What did you expect him to say... "we don't feel there are any Franchise QBs in this draft"... He also wouldn't be wise to say there is only 1... when he sits at the 8th overall pick.

Regardless I don't have any faith in Nix and I feel he should have been fired along with Gailey. Truth is no one knows which one of these guys is going to be a "Franchise" guy.

Last year. Of course, Nix didn't really say franchise quarterbacks let alone "real" franchise quarterbacks.

Franchise? After one year? Remember when Mark Sanchez was the Jets' franchise?

PTR

Last year. Of course, Nix didn't really say franchise quarterbacks let alone "real" franchise quarterbacks.

PTR

PTR

PTR

No. Because he never was. He never even played well. Ever. Some ill informed homers may have called him that or hoped for it but he has never been good. If you don't think Luck, RGIII and Russell Wilson barring injury are not franchise quarterbacks you have no idea what one is.

And again, nix didn't say that. He said long time starters.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Smoke and mirrors. I don't believe we go QB @ #8.

I disagree completely. I think it is almost a 100% guarantee that the Bills select a QB at 8.

Nix and company have put so much work on this QB class.

Everything being said tells me it will be a QB at 8.

I think Barkley is their guy

I'm curious to know why you think Barkley is their guy??? I like Barkley, but I haven't seen much linking him to Buffalo.

I disagree completely. I think it is almost a 100% guarantee that the Bills select a QB at 8.

I think it is almost a 100% guarantee that may not be true. ;)

Put it this way: If the Bills have only one QB who is rated in the top 15 overall, which is quite possible, and that QB is gone at #8, which is also quite possible, and they have 2-3 players at positions of need in their top 5-8 overall who are still available at #8, I would bet anything they take one of those 2-3 guys and not the QB.

The only exception to that rule, IMO, if the two players, rated 5-8 overall, are available at #8 in a position of need happen to be Womack and Cooper, the guards. I highly doubt we take an OG. But I also highly doubt that both Womack and Cooper are in the top 10 on our board. They may be worthy of it and would be on other boards, I just don't think Buddy rates OGs that highly.