Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

And if the Bills think JP is the guy, trade up. If the Bills think RJ is the guy, make a big move. If the Bills think Bledsoe is the guy, make a big move. These clowns cannot evaluate QBs. Don't risk additional picks that we desperately need for a marginal QB in a weak QB class

Which one of our current clowns got those guys?

Or is it the lead paint in the office that makes it inherently related to one bills drive instead of the actual person calling the shots?

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine we will stay at 8 and take either Geno or Barkley if they're still there. If not we wait until the end of the first to trade up, or even roll the dice and stay pat at our 2nd round (more likely knowing us), to take Tyler Wilson if he's there. If not, we go into panic mode and do something crazy, maybe grab Nassib.

But he was a total fluke regardless. The Seahags didn't know anything more either. They just pulled the trigger earlier. Buddy made a huge tactical mistake. He liked Wilson a lot. But EVERYONE considered Wilson to be a project and back-up coming into the league. Nix just decided, because he thought we were on the cusp of the playoffs, that a speed WR would help us more to reach that goal this year than a back-up QB would. So he chose TJ. It wasn't in a vacuum. He doesn't hate QBs. He didn't miss out on Russell Wilson staring him in the face. He made a bad, bad choice, missing out on Wilson and TJ floundered. He's paying for the decision by likely leaving sometime after the draft.

Agreed 100%

The Jags have no interest in taking Geno. Neither do the Raiders or the Eagles. They just want to stoke the media fire and get Buddy or Cardinals to package picks to move up.

It's ALL posturing and I hope Buddy doesn't fall for it. Geno will be there at 8 if they want him.

Exactly...and so far I'm not hearing anything that warrants him going at 8. There will be a bundle of qb's some of which are as good a bet as Gino that will be available in round 2.

Exactly...and so far I'm not hearing anything that warrants him going at 8. There will be a bundle of qb's some of which are as good a bet as Gino that will be available in round 2.

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's remotely true.

Brees was the 32nd player taken. He's a first round pick.

No one is to say that these guys won't be the player. I'm saying that 1-10 or maybe 2-10 of these guys is going to be a franchise player, and I very much doubt that even Ozzie Newsome, whom I consider to be the very best GM in the game, could tell you with any certainty whatsoever which 1 let alone 2 will be that player. They're not good odds.

You're right, we do have to take a chance on one, and maybe two of them though.

I still say our best bet, unless we get Geno at 8, is to draft one in the late first or early second, and then draft another one if we think he can be a franchise guy in 2014. We need two.

I don't want to quibble but Brees was a second round selection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees

I agree with you that Ozzie is one of the best GMs in the business. I'm sure you recall when they drafted Kyle Boller, a "golden armed" qb. That didn't work out. When he later selected Flacco he did it by trading back into the first round to get him. As you have clearly pointed out even eagle eyed talent evaluators don't know for sure how a qb prospect is going to turn out. That is a prime reason that you have to be aggressive and persistent in bringing prospects on board.

I imagine we will stay at 8 and take either Geno or Barkley if they're still there. If not we wait until the end of the first to trade up, or even roll the dice and stay pat at our 2nd round (more likely knowing us), to take Tyler Wilson if he's there. If not, we go into panic mode and do something crazy, maybe grab Nassib.

If the Bills could find a trade partner, I'd like to see them move down. Maybe if the Rams can't land Jake Long, they'd be willing to come up to 8 for one of the o-linemen. I'm not sure what the draft chart says but maybe their 16 & 2nd rounder...or the 23 & 25 from the Vikes with maybe another lower pick from the Bills going their way.

Manuel - Size, speed, he's smart, he can avoid getting tackled and extend plays, a better than average arm, great personality. I see him having a Steve McNair type of franchise QB career.

Size: Geno has more than adequate size to handle the position on a weekly basis.

Speed: Geno is just as fast if not faster.

Smart: Geno isn't smart? Says who? What makes Manuel smarter?

Extending plays: It's pretty evident that Geno has elite athleticism for the QB position and can extend plays by moving around

Arm: Geno has close to elite arm strength.

Personality: Do you know both of them enough to make a valid comparison? I don't get this.

Pretty much every reason you like Manuel more, Geno is just as good if not better. There is no way for us to judge their personalities or smarts since we aren't around them. I'm taking Geno 10 out 10 times. Manuel sat behind Christian Ponder for 2 years. Come on now.

Scott - The more I watch his videos, the more he reminds me of Drew Brees. Great arm and release of the football. Ball comes out and fast. Scott's feet are fast as well, he beat Russell Wilson's cone drill times! He may need a year of seasoning, but he's a fighter. Dude almost got knocked out in the USC game, had a concussion, threw up, and still lead his team to a come from behind comeback win. Seems as if this kid is being overlooked by everybody except NFL scouts and personnel. I predict he won't get out of the second round.

I think both these guys are not easily shaken, won't be intimidated at the next level, and have a better than decent chance of paying off for whoever drafts them.

Nothing you've said about Scott is remotely convincing that he's better or could be better than Geno in the NFL.

Is that a fact jack ? Disagree. If ye ole checks in a determines that geno is "the whip" lets lets do it

I think Genos gonna be special myself...trade up. Lets get out of this cellar

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Let's keep on gambling and trying to pretend we're the smartest person in the room still by waiting till the next round or the next year before we finally draft a QB. Look how well that's been turning out.

I don't want to quibble but Brees was a second round selection.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Drew_Brees

I agree with you that Ozzie is one of the best GMs in the business. I'm sure you recall when they drafted Kyle Boller, a "golden armed" qb. That didn't work out. When he later selected Flacco he did it by trading back into the first round to get him. As you have clearly pointed out even eagle eyed talent evaluators don't know for sure how a qb prospect is going to turn out. That is a prime reason that you have to be aggressive and persistent in bringing prospects on board.

We agree on that.

While we're not quibbling, are you really saying that you think Brees should be considered a second round pick even though he was the 32nd player which would be a first round pick now? I understand the technicality, but to me, it would be more reasonable to assume he was the equivalent of a #1 pick and not a #2 pick. ;)

Let's keep on gambling and trying to pretend we're the smartest person in the room still by waiting till the next round or the next year before we finally draft a QB. Look how well that's been turning out.

Ha, Love it. :thumbsup:

But, but, but, there will be some amazing talent in the second round for QB.

May we please, please, please have a moratorium on using Russell Wilson as an example of a great QB you can get in the third round? It was a totally unique set of circumstances that will very, very likely not be duplicated for a generation, if ever.

I completely disagree with you here. The NFL is transitioning and the media and fans are lagging far behind the curve. Matt Scott has every chance to duplicate Russell Wilson's success. There are many more of these kind of running/throwing QBs coming out every year. It may get to be like the RB position where there are a whole lot of Russell Wilson types in the league. In a few years, it may no longer be seen as rare.

But he was a total fluke regardless. The Seahags didn't know anything more either. They just pulled the trigger earlier. Buddy made a huge tactical mistake. He liked Wilson a lot. But EVERYONE considered Wilson to be a project and back-up coming into the league. Nix just decided, because he thought we were on the cusp of the playoffs, that a speed WR would help us more to reach that goal this year than a back-up QB would. So he chose TJ. It wasn't in a vacuum. He doesn't hate QBs. He didn't miss out on Russell Wilson staring him in the face. He made a bad, bad choice, missing out on Wilson and TJ floundered. He's paying for the decision by likely leaving sometime after the draft.

Except his intangibles totally belied his measureables, and to me, he seemed like a no-brainer, outside the first round.

Smart. Leader. Proven success in major conferences (2!).

Buddy's was a mistake, you're absolutely right about that. But there were plenty of people, myself included, who were not in the least bit surprised by his rookie success.

I completely disagree with you here. The NFL is transitioning and the media and fans are lagging far behind the curve. Matt Scott has every chance to duplicate Russell Wilson's success. There are many more of these kind of running/throwing QBs coming out every year. It may get to be like the RB position where there are a whole lot of Russell Wilson types in the league. In a few years, it may no longer be seen as rare.

That, to me, is just plain laughable.

If you had followed Russell Wilson you would know that everyone was gaga over him. He possessed every single skill at an extraordinary level except his height. He excelled at everything. He has an absolute cannon for an arm, was great at reading defenses, could run and thrown on the run with great accuracy, he had great accuracy on the long ball, he was extremely smart, extremely productive, and was known as an extraordinary leader. He didn't make a lot of mistakes. He was tough. He moved well in and out of the pocket. He excelled in two major conferences. He was an extraordinary teammate and person and interview. He did EVERYTHING great, except grow tall.

Everyone knew how great he was and everyone thought his height was a huge detriment in the NFL, it was just a matter of how much of a detriment it was going to be.

It turned out to be none, which surprised everyone including the Seahawks.

Matt Scott is not even remotely close to the prospect Russell Wilson was.

If the Bills could find a trade partner, I'd like to see them move down. Maybe if the Rams can't land Jake Long, they'd be willing to come up to 8 for one of the o-linemen. I'm not sure what the draft chart says but maybe their 16 & 2nd rounder...or the 23 & 25 from the Vikes with maybe another lower pick from the Bills going their way.

I think a trade down is the best Bills option. We do need to draft a QB, and we most likely can trade down to the 20's, still draft a QB, and gain an additional selection. It seems like Buddy is more open to trade down's in drafts now too Edited by Pete

And if the Bills think JP is the guy, trade up. If the Bills think RJ is the guy, make a big move. If the Bills think Bledsoe is the guy, make a big move. These clowns cannot evaluate QBs. Don't risk additional picks that we desperately need for a marginal QB in a weak QB class

You're argument is idiotic. None of the same people who made any of those previous trades or player evaluations are currently involved with the Bills. It is very possible the current crop of people involved will F it up like the previious deal, but the previous deals have no bearing on this one. Until you have a franchise QB, you have to be aggressive in trying to get one. I don't the Bills for those previous attempts. I fault Buddy for not making any attempts in the last several years. If they aggressively go after a QB they identify as that potential Franchise QB, that will be fine with me. I agree with the people that would not want to trade our #1 pick next year. 1) because the QBs next yr look very good and 2) because I expect the Bills to struggle again this year regardless of who the QB is so we will have a VERY high pick.

BPA and passing on a QB has us 13 years out of the playoffs and well under .500 each year. Nix just said on his recorded call you can do BPA when the QB is in place, We don't have a QB.

I say screw it, make the offer to the jags.

The Bills have not followed a BPA philosophy throughout the years. On the contrary, it's part of what has made them ineffective by reaching for players.

1. Its GENO

2. He will succeed in the NFL. There is nothing about his game that warrants thinking otherwise.

The Bills have not followed a BPA philosophy throughout the years. On the contrary, it's part of what has made them ineffective by reaching for players.

ill agree but say qb is the one spot where i dont care about BPA - its just a yes or no question, not a ranking.

We agree on that.

While we're not quibbling, are you really saying that you think Brees should be considered a second round pick even though he was the 32nd player which would be a first round pick now? I understand the technicality, but to me, it would be more reasonable to assume he was the equivalent of a #1 pick and not a #2 pick. ;)

Whether he was considered a first or second round pick is not very important. It's a miniscule point that isn't worth the bother of parsing. My basic point is that you can get a very impactful qb not near the top of the draft.

During his draft year a number of scouts pointed out that Brees had some liabilities such as arm strength, height and athleticism. It took him a couple or few years to really play well. Sometimes evaluators make the mistake of focusing too much on what a player can't do rather than what he can do. What I'm underscoring is that unless you actually make the effort to take a talent even with warts you will never have the talent that got away to other more willing active teams.

With all the criticism that Nix has taken for not drafting a legitimate qb prospect (Levi Brown certainly shouldn't count) I get the sense that Nix is very determined to take a qb in the first or second round this year. I also get the sense that Nix understands that he made a mistake in not taking the plunge on prospect/prospects that were available to him in last year's draft. If he had it to do over I suspect he would have selected either Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins with his third round pick.

Well, that makes no !@#$ing sense given what we all know: that next year's QB crop is slated to be exceptionally better...

Says who? The talking heads? Look lets just be honest they know jack and **** and jack left town. None of them know crap. Mayock, Kiper etal can go pound sand.

Yeah and not moving up, what has our record been again? And in what year was Whaley in on those decisions?

Size: Geno has more than adequate size to handle the position on a weekly basis.

Speed: Geno is just as fast if not faster.

Smart: Geno isn't smart? Says who? What makes Manuel smarter?

Extending plays: It's pretty evident that Geno has elite athleticism for the QB position and can extend plays by moving around

Arm: Geno has close to elite arm strength.

Personality: Do you know both of them enough to make a valid comparison? I don't get this.

Pretty much every reason you like Manuel more, Geno is just as good if not better. There is no way for us to judge their personalities or smarts since we aren't around them. I'm taking Geno 10 out 10 times. Manuel sat behind Christian Ponder for 2 years. Come on now.

Nothing you've said about Scott is remotely convincing that he's better or could be better than Geno in the NFL.

I never said Geno wasn't smart. Just that I think he doesn't have the personality for the job. I think Geno is a great kid, but that "leadership" gene is missing from him from the vibe I get. Hey, if they draft him I'll be excited because he does have everything else. I'll just hope I was wrong on his leadership abilities.

As for Scott, I told you the "come from behind with a concussion" story of the USC game. Does Geno have one? Not that you have to have one, just that he doesn't as far as I know. Plus, I like Scott's personality more than Smith's. It may sound silly, but i think your personality matters when you're the leader of a team and a franchise.

I could be totally wrong, and if they pick Smith I hope that I simply just got a bad impression.

And do what? 3 years of Nix draft picks and we are still a 5 win type team. Its past time to just move up and get a guy at QB. Every year fans are screaming don't do it and every year we pass and every year we suck.

Its past time to pull the trigger.

You can't be serious. Spiller was clearly BPA. Gilmore was BPA, hell even Dareus was BPA.

Says who? The talking heads? Look lets just be honest they know jack and **** and jack left town. None of them know crap. Mayock, Kiper etal can go pound sand.

Yeah and not moving up, what has our record been again? And in what year was Whaley in on those decisions?

current braintrust gave Fitz a huge contract. So they are not exactly great evaluators of QB talent either. Jim Kelly. Joe Ferguson. Jack Kemp. The good Buffalo Bills QBs are few and far between

That, to me, is just plain laughable.

If you had followed Russell Wilson you would know that everyone was gaga over him. He possessed every single skill at an extraordinary level except his height. He excelled at everything. He has an absolute cannon for an arm, was great at reading defenses, could run and thrown on the run with great accuracy, he had great accuracy on the long ball, he was extremely smart, extremely productive, and was known as an extraordinary leader. He didn't make a lot of mistakes. He was tough. He moved well in and out of the pocket. He excelled in two major conferences. He was an extraordinary teammate and person and interview. He did EVERYTHING great, except grow tall.

Everyone knew how great he was and everyone thought his height was a huge detriment in the NFL, it was just a matter of how much of a detriment it was going to be.

It turned out to be none, which surprised everyone including the Seahawks.

Matt Scott is not even remotely close to the prospect Russell Wilson was.

Let's see where he goes in the draft. I think he'll be drafted higher than Wilson was.

Where Wilson's big drawback was in the height area, Scott's one big drawback is his lack of games. That's a push for me.

So if you know better, what are you doing wasting your time on a message board? Is it possible that everyone is wrong but you? May be.

@ByJimCorbet Geno Smith took rather large dump after workout. Pics to follow."

Never ceases to amaze me how utterly useless social media is in cases like this. Ohhh, he hit 26 of 28 throws today?? Big friggin deal.

Lambs headed to slaughter...go ahead and follow suit. "Run Clarice, run...the lambs are waiting"

It's a crapshoot boys...either you get a good one or you don't.

At this point, I could give a Geno Smith dump if we get him, Barkley, Nassib or the second stringer for RPI...I just want to watch some football.

1. Its GENO

2. He will succeed in the NFL. There is nothing about his game that warrants thinking otherwise.

Completing 33% of his passes behind the line of scrimmage and over 50% within 10 yards. Super explosive WRs with ridiculous RAC #s padding the crap out of his stats. Never...NEVER taking a snap from center. Never dropping back from center and properly setting his feet for a 3 step, 5 step or 7 step throw. Playing against the worst defensive D1 division.

If you don't see these as concerns, you're not paying attention. He may be good, but these things must be considered.

Completing 33% of his passes behind the line of scrimmage and over 50% within 10 yards. Super explosive WRs with ridiculous RAC #s padding the crap out of his stats. Never...NEVER taking a snap from center. Never dropping back from center and properly setting his feet for a 3 step, 5 step or 7 step throw. Playing against the worst defensive D1 division.

If you don't see these as concerns, you're not paying attention. He may be good, but these things must be considered.

these are all valid concerns...........one factor also though as i am uber high on Geno is he throws it with such great accuracy that the YAC/RAC whatever you want to call it happens due to the perfect placement that allows the WR to produce YAC/RAC.

this could always go one of two ways with QB's......IMO he's gonna be something serious at the next level

And do what? 3 years of Nix draft picks and we are still a 5 win type team. Its past time to just move up and get a guy at QB. Every year fans are screaming don't do it and every year we pass and every year we suck.

Its past time to pull the trigger.

You can't be serious. Spiller was clearly BPA. Gilmore was BPA, hell even Dareus was BPA.

i agree man. people who say "we need all our picks" we can't "waste picks" obviously can't see that years and years of picks have produced an eternal 5-11/7-9 team.

We address the QB, and everything else will fall into place A LOT sooner than not addressing the QB.

Again, Geno has everything you want from a QB prospect:

1. A great arm.

2. Good accuracy.

3. Mobile; not RGIII, but more like Aaron Rodgers with the ability to break a 20-30yd run if necessary - w/ease.

4. Coaches have raved about his football smarts.

5. Successful in College with sick stats over an extended period of time. Not a one year wonder.

Best QB in this draft hands down. I don't give a sh*t what people say.

How many snaps from center did RGIII take? What about Kaep?

Never properly setting his feet? :rolleyes: ...LMAO. Imagine what #'s he would've put up if he actually did set his feet. Stop.

Mark Sanchez took a bunch of snaps under center at USC. Lets draft his clone.

So Marrone is going to want a QB his own guy beat 3 times in a row in college....

LOL. This makes sense. So should ANYONE draft Geno b/c he lost to Marrone? So what you're saying is that he's undraftable. Gotcha.

Actually, b/c Nassib beat Geno, Nassib is clearly > than Geno. Yes, that must be it.

Edited by bobobonators

current braintrust gave Fitz a huge contract. So they are not exactly great evaluators of QB talent either. Jim Kelly. Joe Ferguson. Jack Kemp. The good Buffalo Bills QBs are few and far between

This has been pointed out before, but the Fitz contract was not "huge". Made him the 19th highest paid QB in the league - right about where he performed unfortunately. I am sure Gailey and Nix were expecting more. Starting QB's are expensive. He was the starter and was locked up before free agency. It did not work out and he is now gone.