Coach Tuesday

http://insider.espn....two-full-rounds

Jonathan Cooper

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

COLLEGE: North Carolina

HT: 6-2

WT: 311

POS: G

Analysis: The Bills actually have a good foundation on the offensive line. They should feel pretty good about four of their five starters up front. Unfortunately, they lost left guard Andy Levitre to the Titans in free agency, which could really hurt, particularly for a run game that should be strong. Cooper is a great guard, a player capable of challenging for a trip to Hawaii as a rookie. Given the situation at QB, the Bills should take advantage of the opportunity to fill the biggest void they have up front.

EDIT: my hope is that some savvy person at OBD (yeah right, I know) planted this seed in Kiper's hairnest in order to scare the Cowboys (who covet Cooper) into trading up to 8, allowing us to trade down and get the guy we *really* want (Manuel?)...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Jonathan Cooper

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Analysis: The Bills actually have a good foundation on the offensive line. They should feel pretty good about four of their five starters up front. Unfortunately, they lost left guard Andy Levitre to the Titans in free agency, which could really hurt, particularly for a run game that should be strong. Cooper is a great guard, a player capable of challenging for a trip to Hawaii as a rookie. Given the situation at QB, the Bills should take advantage of the opportunity to fill the biggest void they have up front.

EDIT: my hope is that some savvy person at OBD (yeah right, I know) planted this seed in Kiper's hairnest in order to scare the Cowboys (who covet Cooper) into trading up to 8, allowing us to trade down and get the guy we *really* want (Manuel?)...

i agree (with you, not Kiper). though i really want O-line help too. i certainly don't feel good about 4 line spots. i feel pretty good about 2 (though neither is dominant), okay about RG. there is no LG and i don't like Pears.

point is, there is no one i love at 8 if the OT's are gone.

And this illustrates the problem with the Bills, they are always running in place. With the # 8 pick they take a guard to replace a very good guard they let go (Levitre). Even if this guy is a good pick, it's unlikely he will be as good (and as durable) as Levitre, at least in his first two years. So your #1 pick doesn't really improve your team at all; you are just running in place.

That's not to say the Bills should have matched the mega contract the Titans gave Levitre. The Bills should have extended Levitre in year 2 or 3, when it was apparent that he was a solid player. But to finally make a good draft choice (Levitre), live through his growing pains and then lose him after just 4 years as he enters the prime of his career illustrates just how bad this front office is, and why it has been so long since we made the playoffs.

And this illustrates the problem with the Bills, they are always running in place. With the # 8 pick they take a guard to replace a very good guard they let go (Levitre). Even if this guy is a good pick, it's unlikely he will be as good (and as durable) as Levitre, at least in his first two years. So your #1 pick doesn't really improve your team at all; you are just running in place.

That's not to say the Bills should have matched the mega contract the Titans gave Levitre. The Bills should have extended Levitre in year 2 or 3, when it was apparent that he was a solid player. But to finally make a good draft choice (Levitre), live through his growing pains and then lose him after just 4 years as he enters the prime of his career illustrates just how bad this front office is, and why it has been so long since we made the playoffs.

Except this hasn't yet happened.

Buddy Nix? No chance. Just not his style.

If Brandon is involved at all then you have a hope. He is a schemer. But not good ole boy Buddy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Cooper

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

I would be disgusted with this pick. I can't fathom a OG at 8 but at least go after Warmack if they're dead set on it. They should have just resigned Levitre if that's whats in store for our 1st.

I still don't get why everyone, everywhere I read, thinks our line is in desperate shape. I think it is the strength of the offense. We don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a fricken guard. If anything, they need to trade down and get extra picks. I'm sure Cooper will be there in the late teens.

I'm still saying no way the Bills go OG at #8...It really makes no sense from a philosophy standpoint...And I've made this argument here already when McShay's Mock came out...These guys are just matching biggest UFA loss to BPA on their board and going with it...They're ignoring the fact that the Bills do not value the OG position the way some teams do...If they did, they would have paid Levitre...And again Buddy has said on several occasions the Bills don't Draft OG's, they Draft OT's and move them in to OG if they can't cut it on the edge...In fact even Doug Whaley said the same when asked about Cordy Glenn before the 2012 Draft...

So anyway...I don't think for a second the Bills will take an OG at #8...You never want to say never, especially when Buddy is in charge...No telling what he is capable of screwing up...But I really don't believe it's a possibility...Kiper and McShay should do just a little bit of homework and look at what each team believes from a philosophy standpoint before they assign picks...If they did, their Mocks would be far more accurate...As if they care... B-)

Except this hasn't yet happened.

Well if Community college graduate Mel Kiper says it, it must be true. Lets do the math. Bills lose a guard, they mush draft a guard, slick back hair get paid millions.

It's laughable how much stock put into guys like Kiper & Mayock. They have a combined 0 years in a NFL front office. They miss more than they hit but they have 0 accountability. It's purely entertainment but folks treat it as gospel. It's silly.

For the record, if the Bills draft a G at 8, I'm burning down the Ralph.

Probably the worst possible selection you could have.

I've noticed in the last few years that a lot of mocks have the Bills taking players tens of picks sometimes multiple rounds higher than they are rated it's insulting but I guess that's the treatment you get when you have the longest current streak of non-playoffs in the NFL

I've noticed in the last few years that a lot of mocks have the Bills taking players tens of picks sometimes multiple rounds higher than they are rated it's insulting but I guess that's the treatment you get when you have the longest current streak of non-playoffs in the NFL

Seriously. Imagine how pissed we'd be if they drafted Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick earlier than Mel Kiper had them going. I'd be so pissed.

I would be very unhappy if the Bills select a guard at 8 with so many other glaring needs that need to be addressed.

Serviceable guards are fairly easy to find. Now, if we were a superbowl contending team and our only open starting spot was at G, then this pick would be great. We don't have the luxury of wasting a top 10 pick on a G. WR or LB at 8, please. I'd even settle for the Top TE, but please no OG.

This is a 'mock' draft. The Bills haven't actually selected anyone.

A guard at 8 would be a mistake period. If you look around the league there are really good guards that have come in the mid to late rounds as well as undrafted. It just is not that difficult of a position to fill (even this front office has had a good amount of success in finding guys). There are other positions that you cannot say the same thing about. When was the last time that you saw a really solid street free agent rush the passer? Play QB or CB (Jabari Greer is the only exception that I can think of)? I am advocating that you do not draft guard because there are other needs that are harder to fill later.

Seriously. Imagine how pissed we'd be if they drafted Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick earlier than Mel Kiper had them going. I'd be so pissed.

Mock drafts and real drafts don't have much in common - but many of these guys who put out mock drafts also put out big boards and rate players- to me if that mock draft has your team and your team only taking guys rated 25-30 with the 8th pick and guys rated 110-140 with the 41st pick (not talking about Kiper per say) it's a not too subtle way of saying he thinks your team is incompetent. Edited by ....lybob

I missed the draft??

Well spoken! You're right, IMO - one of the problems with this organization is they don't apparently recognize talent very well. You don't wait until a good player's contract is up to try to resign him! Especially if you're a team that believes it cannot compete, financially, with the bigger market teams. Couple that failure with the knuckleheaded decisions they've made to pay players - Kelsay, Brad Smith, McKelvin are just a few examples of late - more than they're worth, when they could've been using that money to pay players (Levitre, Byrd) decent contracts BEFORE they reach the open market!

I'm hoping this imcompetence ends with the new regime. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out this year. I will say I really doubt they go G with the first pick. Nix is notorious for finding good linemen in later rounds or FA.

I would be disgusted with this pick. I can't fathom a OG at 8 but at least go after Warmack if they're dead set on it. They should have just resigned Levitre if that's whats in store for our 1st.

I still don't get why everyone, everywhere I read, thinks our line is in desperate shape. I think it is the strength of the offense. We don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a fricken guard. If anything, they need to trade down and get extra picks. I'm sure Cooper will be there in the late teens.

this---^

If we're going guard I want Womack. If he's gone, don't reach for a position of need. Go with the BPA.

Jonathan Cooper

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....no. Just...no. Ignoring, for a moment, that the Bills already have previous draft talent open for the position (Zebrie Sanders). That the Bills proved previously that you can strike gold for the O-line in the second round (Cordy Glenn), and that their head coach comes from a background in coaching up the O-line...I'm shocked, utterly mystified that he would have us pick the person who is rated the SECOND highest guard in the draft, while sending the first to Tennessee, who just shelled out big bucks for Levitre.

Mock drafts and real drafts don't have much in common - but many of these guys who put out mock drafts also put out big boards and rate players- to me if that mock draft has your team and your team only taking guys rated 25-30 with the 8th pick and guys rated 110-140 with the 41st pick (not talking about Kiper per say) it's a not too subtle way of saying he thinks your team is incompetent.

OR, maybe he is incompetent.

OR his assessments and values for players differ than those of other NFL scouts.

There has to be a reason he is on TV and not employed as an actual professional scout/talent evaluator/GM.

With all the the criticisms of Geno lately plus his whiteboard with Marriucci scares me. I never played football past high school and could answer answer what mooch was asking.

8 for a Gaurd is pretty high. I understand the thought but don't like it. I don't want to reach for a QB at 8. The more I watch and read the more Glennon/Bray intrigues me. I'd take a gamble on either in the second or third and get a guy to help protect or an outlet in the first.

Also this is exactly the kind of pick that Buffalo would blind side is with

I would puke if the draft when down like this. Mel Kiper's only jobs in life are to study the NFL Draft and do his hair every morning and this guy can't figure out that NOBODY takes guards in the top 10 of the draft.

OGs are just not worth it. The top 10 is for impact players and the difference between having a pro-bowl LG and simply a "good" LG (which you can find a lot later in the draft) is not worth a top 10 pick IMO.

Besides, Buddy Nix has said many times that he wants to draft tackles because you can always kick them inside but it's very rare that you can take a guy who fails at guard and move him out to tackle.

As for Nassib...only time will tell but to me he does not have the makings of a successful NFL QB. I'd won't be thrilled if we take him unless it's in the 4th or later.

So the Bills passed on David deCastro last draft, but this year will take Jonathan Cooper????

Have another big tall glass of stupid, Mel.

IMO, it will be Barkley - though I not convinced Geno Smith won't fall to us either...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

There is no guard at #8 who is good enough to be our best value there. We really need to roll the QB dice, but if we don't like what is there / trust Kolb for a year / think there will be a Dalton/Kaepernick bunching when we pick later, then they need to get a better and more impactful player here.

I like good guards, I liked Levitre, and I hope we find a good guard to replace him. I also like gook punters, and I like good equipment managers, and I like good fullbacks. It is just that none of those positions have enough difference between great and good to use a #8 pick on.

I really hope that careful scouting and draft evaluations and the first seven picks set us up to smartly pick a QB at #8, but if not we need to take a LB or WR or DE or position where the difference between good and great is more significant to the win total of a team.

As for Nassib...only time will tell but to me he does not have the makings of a successful NFL QB. I'd won't be thrilled if we take him unless it's in the 4th or later.

If there is a QB that you would be disappointed using a 3rd round pick on, then he probably isn't the QB you want and not likely to be better than what we have on the roster. Later round QBs are for depth or taking a small chance on a jackpot, but if there is a guy you think can be your QB and you pass on him to keep a 3rd round draft pick, I think that is a mistake. If you think he isn't worth a third rounder or even a second rounder, then I think you are probably looking at a backup QB which isn't a position to get "thrilled" about anyway.

Have another big tall glass of stupid, Mel.

Oh, he will. Then he'll have another big, tall glass of indignant two seconds after the Bills make a selection other than a guard. Rage on, hair helmet,,,rage on.