Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

While Alan Branch seems like a decent signing today, knowing that it will likely cost us a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick in the 2014 draft hurts. As of today we've lost LeVitre and Rinehart (Jones and Nelson do not count because they could've been retained via RFA tags). We have signed Manny Lawson and Alan Branch (Kolb doesn't count, as he was cut), meaning we no longer have a net loss of FA, which will keep us from being awarded a pick. So let me ask you this........do you think Alan Branch was worth forgoing a 3rd or 4th round pick in next years draft? I say he's not.

Edited by Estro

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, seeing as how he hasn't even been fitted for a jersey yet or stepped foot on our newly refurbished practice facility, I think we'll have to wait until opening day. If he busts through the o-line vs. The Pats and slams Brady to the ground for a loss of 8 yds, Screw the compensatory pick. Welcome to Buffalo!

Well, seeing as how he hasn't even been fitted for a jersey yet or stepped foot on our newly refurbished practice facility, I think we'll have to wait until opening day. If he busts through the o-line vs. The Pats and slams Brady to the ground for a loss of 8 yds, Screw the compensatory pick. Welcome to Buffalo!

+1. Any time, you can have Brady on his back on the Turf @ Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park

Considering the fact that we need to sign about 5 more UFAs to fill in this roster, I'd say the point is moo, like a cow's opinion (Obvious friends quote)

Ya, we're definitely not done yet in free agency. We sill have Jenkins coming in for a visit and I definitely see us signing a wide receiver, tight end, guard, linebacker, or defensive back. I'd think we either go out and sign one more big player like Dansby or 2-3 "smaller" players.

3rd or 4th round comp picks are VERY rare. Levitre would need to make the pro bowl first string, and reach all his contract bonuses. Maybe it cost us a 6th or a 7th at most.

While Alan Branch seems like a decent signing today, knowing that it will likely cost us a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick in the 2014 draft hurts. As of today we've lost LeVitre and Rinehart (Jones and Nelson do not count because they could've been retained via RFA tags). We have signed Manny Lawson and Alan Branch (Kolb doesn't count, as he was cut), meaning we no longer have a net loss of FA, which will keep us from being awarded a pick. So let me ask you this........do you think Alan Branch was worth forgoing a 3rd or 4th round pick in next years draft? I say he's not.

Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.

Amidst the complaints the Kolb is a waste of money, that we don't have any wide receivers, that there's a huge hole after letting Levitre walk, that our defense still sucks, that Branch is a locker room cancer...we have now sunk to bitching about the fact that we now may not be able to win a seemingly randomly distributed pick...

Shut TSW down. We have finally run out of things to B word about.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.

Amidst the complaints the Kolb is a waste of money, that we don't have any wide receivers, that there's a huge hole after letting Levitre walk, that our defense still sucks, that Branch is a locker room caner...we have now sunk to bitching about the fact that we now may not be able to win a seemingly randomly distributed pick...

Shut TSW down. We have finally run out of things to B word about.

It does seem to have reached a new low. This topic is ridiculous.

3rd or 4th round comp picks are VERY rare. Levitre would need to make the pro bowl first string, and reach all his contract bonuses. Maybe it cost us a 6th or a 7th at most.

Exactly. Texas got one because we signed Mario for a hundred billion dollars. Now maybe if David Nelson signs with the Browns for 5 years $100million with 90 million guaranteed, we might - might get a 4th round CP.

He has no attitude, he made one comment that can be taking a billion different ways. How do you know he's not saying he'd be a better safety than Byrd? I think you guys give the Bills too much credit in how much people know about them. Lawson knew next to nothing about us, he admitted it. Hell, I know a few guys who are Pats fans that thought RF was a pretty good QB cause they'd only seen him play against the Pats, where he usually played pretty well.

Knowing Williams is a bad corner? Maybe. Looking in to see he'll likely get a chance to play safety, then making a comment to rip into him purely on that conjecture? Doubtful.

If he had said he'll play QB, I'd be nervous about attitude. Other than that, I think he was trying to express his (maybe false) excitement to play on the Bills. Classic fans though, first signing of a fresh guy in 2 weeks and we'realready discussing his attitude problems based on conjecture. God, I love offseason TBD.

I was completely joking as were those who strummed this up, if I read it correctly

I was completely joking as were those who strummed this up, if I read it correctly

Right?

We were talking about the cap hit of cutting the guy on the same day that he was signed.

:D

I figured you two were, but not the original guy who brought it up.

He is a corner who everyone knows will get his last chance at safety. i think Branch was pointing this out by laughing and basically saying he could make the team at either DT or safety. It was a not so subtle slam and an unfair shot at a teammate who is on the hot seat.

I just think this negativity right out of the chute is a bad sign. He didn't have to mention our weakness at safety at all. That kind of thing can be done inside the locker room.

Don't worry. Williams will get him back by taking over his position at NT.

I see your point, but I think Branch is a better player than Lawson, I don't think Lawson is worth a 3rd or 4th round pick. Though maybe the Bills can move KW now for a decent draft pick and it will be close to a wash.

This 'slam on AW' stuff is beyond absurd and a complete stretch. All he was saying is he wants to contribute to the team in any way. Total coincidence that it was safety he picked as a joke. Funny because he clearly would not be effective in that role.

Aaron is a corner still, anyways.