Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

Is Williams officially a safety yet? Or is he still in name, a corner?

He is a corner who everyone knows will get his last chance at safety. i think Branch was pointing this out by laughing and basically saying he could make the team at either DT or safety. It was a not so subtle slam and an unfair shot at a teammate who is on the hot seat.

I just think this negativity right out of the chute is a bad sign. He didn't have to mention our weakness at safety at all. That kind of thing can be done inside the locker room.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a corner who everyone knows will get his last chance at safety. i think Branch was pointing this out by laughing and basically saying he could make the team at either DT or safety. It was a not so subtle slam and an unfair shot at a teammate who is on the hot seat.

I just think this negativity right out of the chute is a bad sign. He didn't have to mention our weakness at safety at all. That kind of thing can be done inside the locker room.

+1

It didn't take him long to show us why Seattle and the rest of the league didn't want him.

Your analysis is spot on. Cut him now before he contaminates the locker room

Wow, some crazy talk here. Let me join in....

I think Branch meant he wants to try to make a transition to safety. I also think that is why he only signed a one year deal, because he wants to come back as a safety the next year, and figures he would need to restructure his contract anyway.

I have a feeling that he and Aaron Williams have fought over women in the past, and that he wants to steal AW's job as revenge

It all makes sense.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Wow, some crazy talk here. Let me join in....

I think Branch meant he wants to try to make a transition to safety. I also think that is why he only signed a one year deal, because he wants to come back as a safety the next year, and figures he would need to restructure his contract anyway.

I have a feeling that he and Aaron Williams have fought over women in the past, and that he wants to steal AW's job as revenge

It all makes sense.

I know this is trolling, not gonna bite...

Edited by Tim Anderson's Lunch Pail

If you watch the video he also says he is willing to play safety. I know Aaron Williams sucks but should the new guy really be taking pot shots like that at a brand new teammate? He even chuckles as he says it. I know he is a big guy but I am guessing Williams takes a run at him in the locker room or at practice.

Nonsense. -The guy was just illustrating how glad he is to have a damn job.

Since you're obviously tight with A. Williams, tell him to save that anger for the Patriots.

Sounds like a very decent pick-up if signed. Goes along perfect with what Pettine wants to do, as with Branch on the field in the huddle, you really wouldn't know if we playing 3-4, 4-3 or 46, and also known as a run stuffer. This would be a very nice component part that didn't cost a ton.

Agreed. The only part I did not like is that it is a 1-year deal. At least sign him to 2 years with the option to cut on March 1st if it did not work out!!

I take 2 things away from this:

1. The plan is to run a fair amount of 3-4 with a traditional nose tackle.

2. They still have hope for Troup. Apparently Troup appears to have recovered, but the team is hedging their bets, making sure they have a viable alternative at NT, but without a long term commitment, hence the 1 year deal.

Your analysis is spot on. Cut him now before he contaminates the locker room

What would the cap hit be if we cut Branch today?

You have to take that into consideration Fluff.

It might be better to just deal with his attitude for a season and then let him walk in 2014.

He has no attitude, he made one comment that can be taking a billion different ways. How do you know he's not saying he'd be a better safety than Byrd? I think you guys give the Bills too much credit in how much people know about them. Lawson knew next to nothing about us, he admitted it. Hell, I know a few guys who are Pats fans that thought RF was a pretty good QB cause they'd only seen him play against the Pats, where he usually played pretty well.

Knowing Williams is a bad corner? Maybe. Looking in to see he'll likely get a chance to play safety, then making a comment to rip into him purely on that conjecture? Doubtful.

If he had said he'll play QB, I'd be nervous about attitude. Other than that, I think he was trying to express his (maybe false) excitement to play on the Bills. Classic fans though, first signing of a fresh guy in 2 weeks and we'realready discussing his attitude problems based on conjecture. God, I love offseason TBD.

Edited by FireChan

He has no attitude, he made one comment that can be taking a billion different ways. How do you know he's not saying he'd be a better safety than Byrd? I think you guys give the Bills too much credit in how much people know about them. Lawson knew next to nothing about us, he admitted it. Hell, I know a few guys who are Pats fans that thought RF was a pretty good QB cause they'd only seen him play against the Pats, where he usually played pretty well.

Knowing Williams is a bad corner? Maybe. Looking in to see he'll likely get a chance to play safety, then making a comment to rip into him purely on that conjecture? Doubtful.

If he had said he'll play QB, I'd be nervous about attitude. Other than that, I think he was trying to express his (maybe false) excitement to play on the Bills. Classic fans though, first signing of a fresh guy in 2 weeks and we'realready discussing his attitude problems based on conjecture. God, I love offseason TBD.

Imagine the pathetic life of the LOSER who trumped up this stupid controversy. -Gotta wonder if a guy like that has any interactions that don't require a password. :doh: