Bills sign Manny Lawson

BRAWNDO

Damn good signing for that price. I still can't wait to see what our DC has planned for him. We have all seen good players really go off in the right system. Not saying that will happen, but this is a really solid LB and I don't think he has reached his peak yet.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an extremely fair use of cash. We've frontloaded it, so if things don't work out as he gets older he won't be hard to jettison. If the Bills could make about three more deals like this (between SS, LB and WR) by draft day I'd be feeling pretty good.

Yep, it maybe asking a lot but I would love to see a OG (Brandon Moore), a TE (Keller or Myers), a SS (maybe Pollard), a WR (Hayward-Bey or Gibson) and another LB (maybe Dansby). I personally like those particular players but what I'm really thinking is those level players, and we would be able to afford them all. It's actually what I am expecting, too. About 4-5 more 3-4m per year guys

For what its worth:

Written in 2012:

After having played outside in San Francisco’s 3-4, it was interesting watching Lawson adjust to playing in a four-man front. He surpassed almost all expectations and, if anything, looked more suited to the Bengals’ scheme. While Lawson may only be a two-down player (he graded negatively in coverage) he does have some versatility in that he can play with his hand on the ground if needed. He hasn’t quite had the success of Kamerion Wimbley in Oakland but he is a solid role player who should continue to improvement

Written in 2013:

The
good
: Lawson is a solid run defender who can play in the 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He is a sure tackler, missing just three all of last season. Lawson played in every game in his two seasons in Cincinnati, although there were some games in which he played less than half the snaps.

The
bad
: There were expectations that Lawson would boost the pass rush, but he managed 3.5 sacks in his two years with the Bengals. He also looked rigid in pass coverage, which is why he only broke up one pass last season.

The
bottom
line
: The Bengals have enough cap room to upgrade from Lawson. He is only 28 and a former first-round pick, so he should catch on with another team.

According to Pro Football Focus, out of 43 eligible linebackers, Lawson ranked 37th in total snaps (363). That averages out at just 23 snaps per game in a 16-game season. His -4.9 grade was also ranked 29th. Lawson simply isn’t a fit in Mike Zimmer’s defensive scheme, and likely won’t be offered a contract to return to Cincinnati when free agency begins.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I've seen manny Lawson as an underachiever his whole career, but I'm not mad at all by this pick up. Bottom line is we need linebackers. Mario will be one of the Lon's so look for bradham and Lawson to battle for the other outside LB position. Bradham could be pushed inside as well. Who knows?

GO BILLS

Super Bowl or Bust

Here is PFF's profile on Lawson:

Was ranked 29th overall 4-3 OLB with a grade of -4.5 overall. +1.4 pass rush grade, -4.6 coverage grade, -0.8 run stop grade.

He was targeted 22 times in the passing game allowing 18 completions, or a 81.8% completion percentage against, for 180 yards(10 yards a catch). He allowed 130 of those yards after the catch(7.2 YAC/rec). Longest completion against was 21 yards, he allowed no touchdowns adn had no interceptions. His QB rating against was 100.8, which ranked him 24th among OLB's. However, this is not all bad, as the player we are replacing, Nick Barnett, allowed the worst QB rating against at 129.8, including an evern worse 86% catch rate and 4 TDs.

Ironically the best coverage linebacker in regards to QB rating against in the NFL last year was our own Bryan Scott, allowing only a 59.4 QB rating against him, a 62.5% completion percentage(3rd best in the NFL). Even better, the Bills Nigel Bradham led the NF in completion percentage against in coverage at 58.3%. So we had the best and 3rd best LB's in the NFL last year in terms of allowing passes to be completed against them, but also had the worst LB in terms of QB rating against as well in Barnett...

Lawson should fit well in this defense under Pettine I imagaine...he is 6'5" 240 lbs...that is one big MOFO coming at you with speed....

Here is PFF's profile on Lawson:

He was targeted 22 times in the passing game allowing 18 completions, or a 81.8% completion percentage against, for 180 yards(10 yards a catch). He allowed 130 of those yards after the catch(7.2 YAC/rec). Longest completion against was 21 yards, he allowed no touchdowns adn had no interceptions. His QB rating against was 100.8, which ranked him 24th among OLB's.

Put him on the same side as Aaron Williams and every QB will look like HOF material

Sounds like exactly what I was hoping for in FA. Solid, not splashy, reasonably priced. Does not mortgage our future a year or two down the road when we can seriously challenge as a real player in the NFL scene. Two or three more like this and I will be happier. That is the way to build a winning team.

Put him on the same side as Aaron Williams and every QB will look like HOF material

I doubt aaron williams will be on the field much, if at all. and giving up one catch a game or maybe more won't be a big deal. The guy is a solid tackler and should go a long way to helping us stop the run. Plus, he probably doesn't get thrown to that much maybe because he covers people well. The most surprising part about those numbers is that QBs only threw in his direction 22 times? It must mean they are cautious throwing in his direction, thought I might be reading into the stats wrong.

Other than that, I am hoping Pettine uses all these guys right. He really is the one who has the most cred at this point on our coaching staff.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Yep, it maybe asking a lot but I would love to see a OG (Brandon Moore), a TE (Keller or Myers), a SS (maybe Pollard), a WR (Hayward-Bey or Gibson) and another LB (maybe Dansby). I personally like those particular players but what I'm really thinking is those level players, and we would be able to afford them all. It's actually what I am expecting, too. About 4-5 more 3-4m per year guys

I think that there would be the best case scenario. Apart from Dansby, none of them are on the wrong side of 30 and all should come at the same general cost, and with enough cash to sign our new crop of rookies.

According to ESPN:

To be honest, if Pettine wants him then I have no issues with the signing. I have at least some confidence that Pettine knows what he is doing.

Yep. Scheme versatility is something good DC's are looking for. NE drafts for it, and so should Buffalo.

Pettine is the first coordinator in years I've got some faith in.

Having digested this for a little over an hour, the move leaves me feeling very satisfied. This is the sort of signing good organizations make -- which leads me to wonder how in the hell the Bills pulled it off.

I think Brandon Moore was only playing under a 2-3 million a year contract last year. That would be totally acceptable to me as a stop-gap Guard.

Sounds good

So with Lawson and Bradham being penciled in as our starting OLBs, I think that decreases the chance we pick Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo or any other OLB at #8.

I'm thinking QB, OL, or ILB.

Love the signing. Perfect player for the Bills D. Perhaps can move Scott back to his more natural safety position.

@JasonColeYahoo

LB/DE Manny Lawson deal is 4 yr/$12 mill with Buffalo. Gets $7 mill in first 2 years.

very reasonable price. A few more guys like this at that #. TE is worrying me a bit, as well as WR.

ok we got one LB we need 2 more...

Lawson was a good signing.

Olgetree in the draft. Dream senario is to trade down and get him, and Barkley/Gino fall into late/early 2nd.

So does Mario go back to # 90 now, and Lawson takes 99?

very reasonable price. A few more guys like this at that #. TE is worrying me a bit, as well as WR.

Olgetree in the draft. Dream senario is to trade down and get him, and Barkley/Gino fall into late/early 2nd.

So does Mario go back to # 90 now, and Lawson takes 99?

Dareus is 99, so the latter part is unlikely

Having digested this for a little over an hour, the move leaves me feeling very satisfied. This is the sort of signing good organizations make -- which leads me to wonder how in the hell the Bills pulled it off.

I feel the same way.

Not spectacular but fills a need and come at a fair price. This allows you to give the big contract to one of your own if you feel he deserves it.

The Bills need 3or 4 more of these types of signing- Gaurd, WR, and Saftey or LB.

Lawson will contribute a good deal and should compete to start. This is what the Bills need more of. FA who have displayed starting ability and are atleast 28 y.o or younger.

Decent signing, we needed bodies there plain and simple adds to a unit that is very thin. Can play in the new system. We still should go out sign a couple of other guys though a lot of talent is still out there. Good to see the team making a move though.

Anybody listen to Lawson's press conference? Said the Bills were very active in recruiting him, "spoke volumes to how much they wanted me here." Also said, "it's hard not to want to be a part of this organization."

Makes you think perhaps things are a little different on the inside than what the fans (and media) perceive?

Anybody listen to Lawson's press conference? Said the Bills were very active in recruiting him, "spoke volumes to how much they wanted me here." Also said, "it's hard not to want to be a part of this organization."

Makes you think perhaps things are a little different on the inside than what the fans (and media) perceive?

Or deadspin I might add.

Makes me think any average to slightly above average player the team goes after hard, brings him in the first day of FA, and pays him decent money is going to think the world of the company that thinks the world of him and gives him what he wants, a possible starting job, four year contract and decent money.

I didn't until now: http://www.buffalobi...-center/videos/

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/channel/press-conferences#/media-center/videos/Manny_Lawson_on_Process_of_Signing/bd0dfed9-568d-467b-98f1-fc8c3235ab69

Edited by 26CornerBlitz