Senior bowl aftermath: What QB do you want to draft now?

NFL draft QB  

299 members have voted

1. 1. What QB do you want to draft?

Zac dysert looks really good to me...good release, can run, leader. Nassib has some good highlights too but there's one habit I don't like to see, that bledsoesque shaking of the ball before release... It's a tip off and he holds the ball too low...but efficient and clearly a good kid. Favored by the team but in what round?

I for one am dubious about the offensive hires....not enough experience and too many newbies. I fully agree with sully that the st hire was a chum role .... His record is indefensible.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think EJ Manuel looks much more like a NFL QB than either Wilson or Nassib who both look like products of college "dink and dunk" system QBs. I normally don't like posting highlight videos, but just look at Manuel in 2011 and see the footwork and comfort level in and out of the pocket. Plus his throwing motion looks much better than Wilson's and Nassib's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1sp3S4wNig

I have a feeling EJ Manuel is high on many teams boards...he has a great mix of size & athleticism (6'4"- 240 lbs). He had some shaky outings during his senior year but that may have been due to inexperience at the skilled positions. He appears to have the leadership qualities needed for the position, prior to his bowl game the espn staff spoke of him being a student of the game and film junky. They also noted that he wouldn't publicly call out some players for missing site adjustments,running wrong routes etc...I'll try to search for the link and post.

I like what I've seen from Glennon and think he is the type of QB with a strong arm that Buffalo needs

I also like Bray in they don't get a QB in the first or second round as I think he will be there in the third

I don't know much about Dysert but like everything I've read about him and from the few clips I've seen which isn't much

I don't know what to think of Nassib. If Marrone and company think he can be a starter in the NFL then I wouldn't have a problem taking him but I just didn't see the arm strength needed to make a lot of the throws in the NFL mainly sideline routes

Edited by Max997

I don't know what to think of Nassib. If Marrone and company think he can be a starter in the NFL then I wouldn't have a problem taking him but I just didn't see the arm strength needed to make a lot of the throws in the NFL mainly sideline routes

Nassib seems to have tons of arm strength he just doesn't seem to read defenses or have abything better then average accuracy. Purely a single read system. Decent mobility, seems to flea the pocket a lot and poor mechanics. I see a poor mans Losman. Less physical gifts, but a similar skill set, slightly less

I be very surprised if the Bills dont draft Nassib. Second Round or even first round. Think go outside and make snow angels if Geno fell to us but I doubt it.

All I know is they better get a QB and get one early. Well actually they nedd 2 of them. Can't wait to see on who they decide on.

I have a feeling EJ Manuel is high on many teams boards...he has a great mix of size & athleticism (6'4"- 240 lbs). He had some shaky outings during his senior year but that may have been due to inexperience at the skilled positions. He appears to have the leadership qualities needed for the position, prior to his bowl game the espn staff spoke of him being a student of the game and film junky. They also noted that he wouldn't publicly call out some players for missing site adjustments,running wrong routes etc...I'll try to search for the link and post.

One thing that many don't know about EJ Manuel is that he got news that his Mom had breast cancer right before the season. Him having a good and productive season tells me that the kid is mentally tough. His Mom came out to greet him at the FSU/Florida senior day and he apparently lost it emotionally. So maybe for obvious reasons the emotion got the best of him that day in which he had a bad game. I could see him being a Steve McNair-like franchise QB for the Bills. It seems that the other QBs in this draft have too many flaws that will prevent them from ever becoming an elite QB. To me right now, EJ Manuel seems to be the only one who has the tools and the right head to actually make it to that level one day.

I think EJ Manuel looks much more like a NFL QB than either Wilson or Nassib who both look like products of college "dink and dunk" system QBs. I normally don't like posting highlight videos, but just look at Manuel in 2011 and see the footwork and comfort level in and out of the pocket. Plus his throwing motion looks much better than Wilson's and Nassib's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1sp3S4wNig

Manuel is real intriguing...I think for some reason every time I watched him over the past 2 years it was not a great game for EJ...Or I was not paying attention... :doh:

When you look at his final two seasons it's hard to ignore some things...1st and foremost the fact that Manuel completed almost 67% of his last 698 attempts...In that span he threw 41 TD's to 18 INT's...He was 21-5 as a starter...IMHO accuracy is the #1 thing you look for in a College QB...And that's pretty big for a kid like Manuel, because he's already a pretty big kid...And he can sling it...I don't think Manuel is the type of athlete Newton, or Kaepernick are...But he is athletic enough to hurt NFL Defenses with his feet...

EJ Manuel scares me a bit because he's got tease written all over him...But if The Bills decided to Draft him, I would be all for it...I'd have to trust that Marrone and Hackett have a good plan for him...He's got potential no question about it...I think Manuel is the type of prospect that IF he gets Drafted in to the right situation, he could be pretty good... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

pick up Alex Smith in free agency, and draft Nassib in the second round. You can then use your first round pick on either a top flight WR, or, CB (pettine's defense relies on cover corners and we only have one), or LB. We need all three so you can choose best on board.

Smith was excellent his last 1.5 years and just needs consistency. Pick up of these three positions at least two solid free agents like D. Bowe, and don't go old in free agency. I'm not sure if seller is worth it at his age unless you are just using him for maybe two years as his speed will slow down. What he does better than anyone is quickness in change of direction. I'm ok with if we do it a s a short term fix.

pick up Alex Smith in free agency.....

I've seen this quite a few times on the board over the last bunch of weeks and I am confused by it.

As far as I can tell, Alex Smith becomes a FA in 2015. Unless the 49ers cut him we would need to trade for him.

Does anybody know if I'm wrong on this?

I've seen this quite a few times on the board over the last bunch of weeks and I am confused by it.

As far as I can tell, Alex Smith becomes a FA in 2015. Unless the 49ers cut him we would need to trade for him.

Does anybody know if I'm wrong on this?

That's correct. Lots of speculation that SF will cut him rather than pay $7.5 m for a back up QB, but that is certainly no guarantee. With the minimal amount they are paying Kaepernick as a 2nd rounder they can afford to keep both. If Smith is not creating a problem on the team, why not keep him? I would not be in favor of bringing him in even if he was available.

That's correct. Lots of speculation that SF will cut him rather than pay $7.5 m for a back up QB, but that is certainly no guarantee. With the minimal amount they are paying Kaepernick as a 2nd rounder they can afford to keep both. If Smith is not creating a problem on the team, why not keep him? I would not be in favor of bringing him in even if he was available.

Really???

Why would they cut him? Why wouldn't they trade him?

Fitz is on a $8,885,000 per year contract.

Surely some team in the league will perceive a QB who's team was 4 points away from the SB last year & who had a 104.1 QBR this year.......who only is going to cost $7.5M, to be worth trading a 7th round draft pick for.

Landry Jones. He has the best statistics of all the QB's, is big, has a strong arm, played in a NFL type offense, played against top-flight competition and was a four year starter. His stats are actually double what Sam Bradford's were while at Oklahoma and he was playing his best ball at the end of the season with two great clutcg performances against West Virginia where he outplayed Geno Smith and vs. Oklahoma State. Don't know ehat happened in the Cotton Bowl, but Oklahoma's entire team was awful in that game. Do I think he is a lock (No way). But when I evaluate him and what he has done vs. the other candidates, he is the obvious choice. Who did Glennon or Nassib play of any consequence during their career's? ACC and BIg East (Really!!!). Watching both of them did not convince me that they can play at the enxt level.Matt Barkley is a good QB, but I just don't think he has the size or arm strength to play in Buffalo. and then there is the whole USC QB littany of failures. Is he a "system" QB? EJ Manuel is very athletic, but I just don't think he is going to be a quality QB in the NFL. Not sure about his ability to read defenses. Same for Geno Smith. He is also very athletic, but again, I think he is going to be a bust. He does not handle pressure well and seems to fade away with the game on the line. Just not sold on his leadership ability in the clutch. I agree that Tyler Bray has immense upside, but he needs more experience and is still immature. He should have played one more year at Tennessee. He needs a couple more years and the team that drafts him needs to have him sit on the bench for a few years. Unless the Bills plan on bringing Fitzpatrick back, or signing a free agent QB, then he would be out.

These are my thoughts FWIW. Overall, no QB is a lock out of this class. We can only hope that whoever the Bills choose is the right guy. We as fans deserve better after 13 years of futility................

Landry Jones. He has the best statistics of all the QB's, is big, has a strong arm, played in a NFL type offense, played against top-flight competition and was a four year starter. His stats are actually double what Sam Bradford's were while at Oklahoma and he was playing his best ball at the end of the season with two great clutcg performances against West Virginia where he outplayed Geno Smith and vs. Oklahoma State. Don't know ehat happened in the Cotton Bowl, but Oklahoma's entire team was awful in that game. Do I think he is a lock (No way). But when I evaluate him and what he has done vs. the other candidates, he is the obvious choice. Who did Glennon or Nassib play of any consequence during their career's? ACC and BIg East (Really!!!). Watching both of them did not convince me that they can play at the enxt level.Matt Barkley is a good QB, but I just don't think he has the size or arm strength to play in Buffalo. and then there is the whole USC QB littany of failures. Is he a "system" QB? EJ Manuel is very athletic, but I just don't think he is going to be a quality QB in the NFL. Not sure about his ability to read defenses. Same for Geno Smith. He is also very athletic, but again, I think he is going to be a bust. He does not handle pressure well and seems to fade away with the game on the line. Just not sold on his leadership ability in the clutch. I agree that Tyler Bray has immense upside, but he needs more experience and is still immature. He should have played one more year at Tennessee. He needs a couple more years and the team that drafts him needs to have him sit on the bench for a few years. Unless the Bills plan on bringing Fitzpatrick back, or signing a free agent QB, then he would be out.

These are my thoughts FWIW. Overall, no QB is a lock out of this class. We can only hope that whoever the Bills choose is the right guy. We as fans deserve better after 13 years of futility................

See the player A vs. Player B graphics. Can't get them here.

Now, whom would you say is better, the player who has twice eclipsed 8 YPA, or the one who hasn't? The one whose completion percentage improved every year to a startling 71.2%, or the one whose plateaued around 66%? The one who never threw over 7 INTs per season, or the one who averaged around 12.5 INTs? The one whose rating hovered around the mid 140s, or the one who improved every season up to about 164? Player A is Jones. Player B is Geno Smith. The only stats I see Jones winning out on are career passing yardage, which is in part because he was subbing for an injured Bradford his first year, and sacks taken, which I will chalk up to a better OU offensive line.

I rest my case.

Edit: working on the look of this. Hold on.

Player A.tiff

Player B.tiff

Nassib is the one i truly think will be a Bill.

Hard to pick because so early still.

But pick one in the first or second then another in the 4th/ fifth.

Glennon then maybe Dysert later ?

But i will be surprised if we dont go for Nassib.

Okay with me but i hope we get two. and keep Fitz restructured or sign Jackson at a bargain.

See the player A vs. Player B graphics. Can't get them here.

Now, whom would you say is better, the player who has twice eclipsed 8 YPA, or the one who hasn't? The one whose completion percentage improved every year to a startling 71.2%, or the one whose plateaued around 66%? The one who never threw over 7 INTs per season, or the one who averaged around 12.5 INTs? The one whose rating hovered around the mid 140s, or the one who improved every season up to about 164? Player A is Jones. Player B is Geno Smith. The only stats I see Jones winning out on are career passing yardage, which is in part because he was subbing for an injured Bradford his first year, and sacks taken, which I will chalk up to a better OU offensive line.

I rest my case.

Edit: working on the look of this. Hold on.

Exactly... B-)

I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with Manuel, but I wouldn't be all that excited either. He's big, has a strong arm, and can pick up yards on the ground, but he doesn't appear to put much touch on the ball and from what I've seen (admittedly only 2 or 3 games) I haven't noticed him surveying the field looking to his 2nd and 3rd options despite having pretty good protection.

I say no on any qb until at least round 2

Dont be surprised if they dont though. I hope we can wait that long and get a stud defensive starter in the first and i hope it's a linebacker.

Seems like a potential year to trade out of #8.

Whaddya say Doug Whaley , up and coming Bills GM ? This isnt your grandfathers Bills any more. go ahead and shake it up

So Nassib has way more votes than Geno? What is going on here? Is the homerism for Cuse really this strong?

The Buffalo Orange have taken over.

I'd love for Geno Smith to fall to us. No I did not see the Pinstripe Bowl. But, I think he can make all the throws, and has a nice deep ball. He also doesn't turn the ball over.

Dont be surprised if they dont though. I hope we can wait that long and get a stud defensive starter in the first and i hope it's a linebacker.

Seems like a potential year to trade out of #8.

Whaddya say Doug Whaley , up and coming Bills GM ? This isnt your grandfathers Bills any more. go ahead and shake it up

I hear that, although there might be not many willing to jump this year.

So who do you want know after watching the Senior Bowl?

LANDRY JONES!!!! No. He still sucks.

Dysert and Manuel were my favorites going in because I think they can be had in the 2-4th rounds. They're still my favorites because of that. Wilson is my pick if we have to take one in the first (other than Geno and maybe Barkley). We should give Pettine some weapons we can use for years to come instead of a QB that's going to likely piss us all off and get cut in 3 years.

Really???

Why would they cut him? Why wouldn't they trade him?

Fitz is on a $8,885,000 per year contract.

Surely some team in the league will perceive a QB who's team was 4 points away from the SB last year & who had a 104.1 QBR this year.......who only is going to cost $7.5M, to be worth trading a 7th round draft pick for.

You are correct. Someone will offer a draft pick for him and if it's not high enough, SF will just keep him. He is apparently a very good teammate. And as someone pointed out, Kaepernick makes less than $1 million/year.

Nobody in this draft class seems to be a lock.

+1. Best player available at no. 8. Unfortunately, no QBs look any good this year. They're all Blaine Gabberts. or Christian Ponders. Take one in round 2 and 3. Unbelievably, this might not be the QB year either. Just no one out there. Is what it is.

After watching (some of) the TrainWreck Bowl, just say NO to any QB at #8. Gotta go D with either a DE or LB.

Dion Jordan

Barkevious Mingo

Damontre Moore

At least one of them should be there.

I agree. Seems like a bad year to desperately need a QB. On the other hand, there will probably be a few good ones available to a patient (and smart) team in the middle rounds.

neither was Russell Wilson a lock

Not a lock, but unlike the crop of QBs this year, there was no question about Wilson's skill set or leadership -- the sole question was whether his height was too much of a limitation.

EJ Manuael was the only QB that consistently looked like he belonged in this game. Glennon was very good in the second half, Nassib was alternately OK and BAD !!! Dysert and Landry Jones should have been selling beer in the stands. Tyler Wilson was ehh !!!

My first Senior bowl and it was a yawner .

I really wanted to see all of the QB's in the same setting so I could make back to back comparisons.

None of the QB's really wowed me but EJ Manuel was clearly the best. He demonstrated long and short passing accuracy. The ability to feel the pressure in the pocket and react correctly. If I had to pick a second QB it would be Glennon due to the second half of the game. He was very suspect in the first half. All of the QB's seem to be throwing bounce passes JP Losman style. Tyler Wilson showed his ability to run and throw but under threw a sure touchdown. Nassib was totally unimpressive, maybe even the worse QB of the pack, in this game anyway. No one outside of Manuel and Glennon could complete a down field pass. It was like looking at a group of Trent Edwards clones. My top three are Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and EJ Manuel with Glennon bringing up the rear. We will need to address the QB position in free agency as well as the draft. I don't know if we can draft 2 like the the redskins and get quality in both spots based on this group.

Edited by VADC Bills

I say glen non understanding he is going to need a year on the bench. To get physically stronger and work on some things. I still thing he has the highest upside

Alex smith in the short term.

No way, Napoleon Dynamite has a big arm and nothing else.

EJ Manuel is the guy the Bills should definitely target. The guy is big, athletic, mature and has a great arm and throwing motion. Once Brady and Manning retire I'd see him as one of the top four QBs in the AFC with Luck, Flacco, Rothlesbeger being the other three.

Jordan or Ansah at #8 then trade up into the 1st for Manuel. Possibly trade Jackson to Green Bay to flip our 2nd for their 1st. Then I'd sign Jason Campbell to be the transition QB.

Forget Nassib, he sucks.