Senior bowl aftermath: What QB do you want to draft now?

NFL draft QB  

299 members have voted

1. 1. What QB do you want to draft?

I'd be ok with

Geno- he's accurate and more mobile than most of this years QBs. I'm not sold, but I'd be ok with him.

Barkley- this years performance was sub par for sure. Last year, he really wow'd me. I think he has a chance to be an 8 year starter.

Dysert- love this kid. I really hope we can draft him. I'd take him #8 overall. It would be amazing to land him in round 3 or 4.

Manuel- I didn't watch many fsu games. I've seen his YouTube game tapes and I like what I see. He can do it all. Can he do it consistently? That's the question. Can he learn to read defenses better? He can throw it and run with it. I like his upside, but not sold.

Nassib- it makes sense. I don't like the way his constantly pumps the ball and moves his feet in the pocket. It just doesn't look right to me. He doesn't look comfortable, but maybe he is. I'd like to get a QB that can run for the first if things breakdown. He looks like he'll always be a yard or two short on runs. His familiarity with the offense and staff is a big plus. Hopefully we can land him in round 2, not #8.

Glennon- cannon arm. Good accuracy from what I've seen. He seems stuck in the mud. Terrible mobility and that scares me. He can't run for a 1st.

Wilson- nothing stands out to me about him. Nice arm. Nice accuracy. Decent mobility. Decent prospect. Wouldn't be happy drafting him #8, but if the FO is sold, give him the ball. He has talent.

Overall, I think it's a weak class. Best case scenario for the Bills, IMO, would be acquiring Alex smith or Matt Flynn for a pick/s after round 3. Drafting 2 Lbs and a CB in rounds 1-3. Then drafting Dysert or manuel in round 4, although they may not be there. Worst case scenario, we have Alex and a lesser backup QB for 2013 and can hopefully draft a better QB next year, as their are a few good prospects. Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel stand out most to me.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be ok with

Geno- he's accurate and more mobile than most of this years QBs. I'm not sold, but I'd be ok with him.

Barkley- this years performance was sub par for sure. Last year, he really wow'd me. I think he has a chance to be an 8 year starter.

Dysert- love this kid. I really hope we can draft him. I'd take him #8 overall. It would be amazing to land him in round 3 or 4.

Manuel- I didn't watch many fsu games. I've seen his YouTube game tapes and I like what I see. He can do it all. Can he do it consistently? That's the question. Can he learn to read defenses better? He can throw it and run with it. I like his upside, but not sold.

Nassib- it makes sense. I don't like the way his constantly pumps the ball and moves his feet in the pocket. It just doesn't look right to me. He doesn't look comfortable, but maybe he is. I'd like to get a QB that can run for the first if things breakdown. He looks like he'll always be a yard or two short on runs. His familiarity with the offense and staff is a big plus. Hopefully we can land him in round 2, not #8.

Glennon- cannon arm. Good accuracy from what I've seen. He seems stuck in the mud. Terrible mobility and that scares me. He can't run for a 1st.

Wilson- nothing stands out to me about him. Nice arm. Nice accuracy. Decent mobility. Decent prospect. Wouldn't be happy drafting him #8, but if the FO is sold, give him the ball. He has talent.

Overall, I think it's a weak class. Best case scenario for the Bills, IMO, would be acquiring Alex smith or Matt Flynn for a pick/s after round 3. Drafting 2 Lbs and a CB in rounds 1-3. Then drafting Dysert or manuel in round 4, although they may not be there. Worst case scenario, we have Alex and a lesser backup QB for 2013 and can hopefully draft a better QB next year, as their are a few good prospects. Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel stand out most to me.

Also AJ McCarron, Blake Bortles and Casey Pachall.

I say we go Redskins route...

It is possible, long shot, but possible...

#8 - Geno Smith

round two - Matt Barkley

One of those would have to emerge as a starter. If Geno gets hurt, plug in Barkley, and if he does well then we have trade bait for the following year

You went off the rankings...except jones 1st. Why not just go off the rankings? Because you slanted it.

Just because Jones is at the top doesn't mean it is slanted, I started with memory then figured I better check a list. Do you think it is really too hard for guys to actually look at all the players? Again Nassib is highest rated so your conclusion of slanting is false even if I did, I could care less if you or anyone else thinks it's slanted, you are smart enough to pick the guy you want regardless of "slanting".

Very good point. He also didn't recruit Nassib and saw Barkley throw 6 td passes. Personally, I don't get the Barkley hate. He was the #1 pick coming into the season, throws 36 tds in 11 games, plays for an idiot, and now he isn't even a 1st rounder? If he is there, the Bills should draft him on his resume alone.

Could not agree more with you here. He has all the tools needed to be successful. Id bet he ends up to be the best of the bunch. Its no secret He's my favorite qb in this class. Best deep ball out of any of them. We will just have to wait and see.

Edited by DocLawless

So Nassib has way more votes than Geno? What is going on here? Is the homerism for Cuse really this strong?

You should understand this site by now. Everybody immediately drinks the Syracuse koolaide and is all in for the Bills becoming that college team out of Syracuse. The problem is, they have to compete with NFL teams, and not college teams. It looks like another long fruitless year ahead with a college coaching staff (except for DC) in way over their heads. Homerism is us. New Boss, same as the old Boss... Drink up!

I've noticed a lot of posters are saying "8 year starter".

1013 will be Rodgers' 9th year, Roethlisberger's, Rivers', Eli's and Schaub's 10th, Brees'13th, Brady's 14th and Manning's 16th.

If you beat the odds and find your Franchise QB, you want him for a fair bit more than 8 years IMO.

Edited by Dibs

Kiper's first QB at 21 pick is Glennon for now.

"Kiper notes that Glennon was "a victim of tons of drops" and "the tape will help his case." The bowl game wasn't pretty, but Glennon could put on a great showing in Mobile. "I don't see him as an immediate starter in an ideal situation, but he has a high ceiling. A guy who could actually get better between now and the draft," Kiper wrote.

Sry bro Disagree. The only reason Glennon will go higher on draft boards from now until Aprill is because he WON'T be playing any games until then. Looks like Flacco, strong arm , little mobility but doesn't have the killer/leader mentality like Tyler Wilson. Not that Wilson will make it but I'd rather have a QB that seems to give a !#%! rather than an Edwards or our current "Turnover Machine" Won't be happy if we get Glennon :thumbdown: .

I'm surprised anyone would want Glennon. I live in Charlotte NC with a lot of NC State grads and they can't believe he's being considered as one of the top QB's. They say he can throw the ball 75 yds, but chooses to throw it 5 yards all game long. To me his skill set doesn't even compare to Zac Dysert's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXPb3WoNvI

+ 100 %

You should understand this site by now. Everybody immediately drinks the Syracuse koolaide and is all in for the Bills becoming that college team out of Syracuse. The problem is, they have to compete with NFL teams, and not college teams. It looks like another long fruitless year ahead with a college coaching staff (except for DC) in way over their heads. Homerism is us. New Boss, same as the old Boss... Drink up!

One thing to remember is that Doug Marrone more than anyone on the planet knows if Ryan Nassib has a Drew Brees-like elite QB ceiling level (Doug coached Brees in New Orleans). So if the Bills select him with the 1st or even the 2nd pick we should be expecting them to be telling everyone that he definitely has all the tools to and is expected to become an elite level QB. Obviously not in the vein of Peyton Manning, Luck or RGIII when they came out, but more of what the expectations were with Rothlesberger and Eli Manning when they were drafted.

The Bills and Marrone will have no way to get around that question. Because when it comes to the goal of winning a Superbowl, they will have to face an elite NFC QB like Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Kaepernick, Wilson or Newton. I don't see Nassib attaining that king of level. I see more of the Andy Dalton type when I look at Nassib. I'd much rather have EJ Manuel than Nassib at this early stage because I see someone who has potentially elite level QB skills and a much higher ceiling than Nassib. So the Bills, Marrone and Nassib had better be prepared for very high expectations if he's picked with either the 1st or 2nd pick. I just don't want a playoff appearance, I want them to win a Superbowl.

I know there are A LOT of threads on here about QBs but I wanted to see Poll wise who everyone really wants.

This year I have been all over the place with QBs and the one I liked best (Casey Pachall) went into rehab. For my Money I still think Landry Jones is the most ready to start even though Barkley is more prostyle I just don't think he will be any good. The most Talented QB by far is Tyler Bray and is why I'm picking him in the second round and hoping for Alex Smith or Matt Flynn to take over this year.
Bray however needs a lot of work on maturity, poise and reading defense
s.

The person you are selecting to be your franchise qb shouldn't have a major queston regarding maturity issues. The qb who is going to be the face of your franchise is supposed to be a leader who has a passion for the game and exhibits that passion through his work ethic. If you review the recent young qbs who have started off well (Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck and Griffin III) they all possess sterling character traits to go along with their tremendous work ethic. Another trait they all have is intelligence. Look at the best qbs in the game. Both Mannings, Brady and Rodgers exemplify high character traits to go along with their high level of work ethic and natural ability. Roethlisberger is one of the best qbs in the game. But he put his career in serious jeopardy with borderline criminal behavior.

The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb since the Kelly era, a generation ago. Drafting someone who has known maturity issues is not worth the risk. We desperately need to hit on a qb draft pick this year. I want to make it clear what I am saying here. I'm not suggesting Bray is a bad person or should be disqualified as a prospect. But for the Bills his character weaknesses should slide him down their qb rankings.

The qb I am leaning toward right now is Tyler Wilson. This year he had health problems and the Arkansas program was in turmoil with the sudden departure of their sleazeball HC, Petrino. The previous year offers a better example of his talents. Another qb that I find very intriguing is Glennon. He might be the best passer of the bunch. With him there is going to be a longer development period.

Honestly, besides Peyton Manning and Luck, what Qb is ever a lock? What draft pick is ever a lock? There were questions about RG3 last year. I think Smith and Barkley can be franchise QBs. No a big fan of Glennon. Wilson strikes me as a system guy. I think Jones screams backup. The rest of the guys I won't might as later round picks.

If the "experts" knew what they were talking about, Wilson won't have been a 3rd rounder. Just draft a guy or 2 and if they don't flash, draft another guy next year. The position is too important and been neglected to long here to not give up a ton of resources to finally get a legit franchise Qb.

Usually, I wouldn't agree with this view, but I now agree. Take 2 QBs in the mid-late rounds and hope. Make a quick decision on them (by next year's draft) and swing again on a higher-rated prospect next year if this year's picks don't pan out. My only caveat is to try to find a competent veteran to play until they get lucky and find a young QB that can be good for years to come. I'm thinking Alex Smith or (to a lesser extent) Matt Flynn. I'd consider Kyle Orton, if available. I'd rather not take a wild shot on a questionable prospect early this year, but after round 1 if they pick any of the guys and take a shot, I'd still like to see a vet available to start this year.

The person you are selecting to be your franchise qb shouldn't have a major queston regarding maturity issues. The qb who is going to be the face of your franchise is supposed to be a leader who has a passion for the game and exhibits that passion through his work ethic. If you review the recent young qbs who have started off well (Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck and Griffin III) they all possess sterling character traits to go along with their tremendous work ethic. Another trait they all have is intelligence. Look at the best qbs in the game. Both Mannings, Brady and Rodgers exemplify high character traits to go along with their high level of work ethic and natural ability.
Roethlisberger
is one of the best qbs in the game.
But he put his career in serious jeopardy with borderline criminal behavior.

The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb since the Kelly era, a generation ago. Drafting someone who has known maturity issues is not worth the risk.
We desperately need to hit on a qb draft pick this year.
I want to make it clear what I am saying here. I'm not suggesting Bray is a bad person or should be disqualified as a prospect. But for the Bills his character weaknesses should slide him down their qb rankings.

The qb I am leaning toward right now is Tyler Wilson. This year he had health problems and the Arkansas program was in turmoil with the sudden departure of their sleazeball HC, Petrino. The previous year offers a better example of his talents. Another qb that I find very intriguing is Glennon. He might be the best passer of the bunch. With him there is going to be a longer development period.

First one BS

and second if we desperately grab some schmo this draft what good will that do us in the future.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

First one BS

and second if we desperately grab some schmo this draft what good will that do us in the future.

If you disagree that Roethlisberger isn't one of the best qbs in the game that is fine. I believe he is.

No one is saying take a qb for the sake of taking a qb. If the Bills front office believes that there is a legitimate franchise qb in this draft then (my opinion) they have to take the plunge.

If the "experts" knew what they were talking about, Wilson won't have been a 3rd rounder.

I just replied above, but specifically to the edited point: I don't think that you can disregard what your scouts and front-office evaluate. This is a matter of "shades of gray". There are prospects this year who have some chance to become a good starting NFL QB. Perhaps their probability of doing so isn't rated as high as some of next year's (or last year's) prospects, but there is some chance of success.

This is true of all prospects, regardless of position. As always, they will have to balance taking a shot at the ever-important QB position vs taking a player that they rate higher at another position. This year, I think that they do need to take at least 1 and maybe 2 shots at a QB after round 1, but I would not like to see them take a QB in round 1 or 2 over a player at another position whom they rate much higher. Desperately grasping for a QB has a high probability of wasting a pick that could have been used on a better player at another position.

If you disagree that Roethlisberger isn't one of the best qbs in the game that is fine. I believe he is.

No one is saying take a qb for the sake of taking a qb. If the Bills front office believes that there is a legitimate franchise qb in this draft then (my opinion) they have to take the plunge.

did you see what I highlighted? His career is not in jeopardy. I would take Ben in a heart beat.

Why?

Ryan Leaf was a 2+ year starter at Washington State, and in his best season his best completion % was 55.4. He had 34 TDs to 11 INTs in his best season.

Geno Smith started for most of 3 seasons at WVU, and his completion % improved from 64.8, to 65.8, to 71.2%. He had 42TDs to 6 INTs this season.

Please substantiate your feelings. I am not discounting your opinion, but I'd like to understand it.

Agreed. Even more importantly, Smith reportedly is a mature kid who works hard to improve. Leaf, on the other hand, was a totally immature dweeb who had probably equivalent physical talent to Smith.

To be clear, I am not advocating for Geno Smith, but I think he is way above the Ryan Leaf comparisons.

did you see what I highlighted? His career is not in jeopardy. I would take Ben in a heart beat.

You missed the point. There were a series of incidents and one very serious off field incident regarding women that jeopardized his career and his freedom. The league severely punished him. My point was if you know that there is a question of maturity in advance then why take the risk when there are other comparable or better prospects. If you disagree with that position then that is fine.

Edited by JohnC